Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feb has been kind to town so far 20:34 - Feb 17 with 2673 viewsgreyhound

After the Derby game and the closing of the transfer window the all round mood was horrible.

Am I the only one starting to #believe again. 2 weeks doesn't make a football manager but the side has shown resilience against tough opposition. With a few more difficult fixtures to play out I'm worried as to how easily this good work could be unpicked especially with suspensions and the. Ever ending town injury crisis

There appears to bE some light at the end of the tunnel though. If things keep looking up I begin to question my January judgement that mick should definately leave post season
Feb has been kind to town so far on 20:46 - Feb 17 with 2644 viewsWicklowBlue

Football fans are notorious for being fickle. Everyone wants to see their team improve season in season but not every team can. So some do not meet fans expectations and there is uproar. Leicester are a great example this season.

However I will say that our run of results, level of performance and strategy was terrible. This correctly made us question the management big time! Now none of us truly know what is happening of the pitch in training and Micks long term outlook. But it was plan to see we needed a change in the midfield.

So maybe just maybe rather than signing 2 players for X million, Micks strategy was to strengthen in numbers spreading the money as far as possible with loans etc. Or maybe it was enforced on him but either way it has made a difference. That extra competition for places might have ruffled feathers for the matchday shoe ins.

Too early to tell honestly, for me I will decide whether ai want Mick to stay from the results from now until the end of the season. Agree though things are definitely more positive.
Feb has been kind to town so far on 22:30 - Feb 17 with 2571 viewsgreyhound

Feb has been kind to town so far on 20:46 - Feb 17 by WicklowBlue

Football fans are notorious for being fickle. Everyone wants to see their team improve season in season but not every team can. So some do not meet fans expectations and there is uproar. Leicester are a great example this season.

However I will say that our run of results, level of performance and strategy was terrible. This correctly made us question the management big time! Now none of us truly know what is happening of the pitch in training and Micks long term outlook. But it was plan to see we needed a change in the midfield.

So maybe just maybe rather than signing 2 players for X million, Micks strategy was to strengthen in numbers spreading the money as far as possible with loans etc. Or maybe it was enforced on him but either way it has made a difference. That extra competition for places might have ruffled feathers for the matchday shoe ins.

Too early to tell honestly, for me I will decide whether ai want Mick to stay from the results from now until the end of the season. Agree though things are definitely more positive.

ONE thing I am enjoying is squad depth for the first time in a lot of seasons
Feb has been kind to town so far on 22:32 - Feb 17 with 2565 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think you'll find it's BELIEVE!

Capital letters and an explanation mark

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Feb has been kind to town so far on 23:29 - Feb 17 with 2538 viewsGuthrum

Two weeks doesn't make a manager. However, the month-or-so short of 25 years before that may have helped in turning this situation around.

On 18th March, Mick McCarthy will have been a football manager, with only a few months break, for exactly a quarter of a century. Only four clubs plus a national team in all that time. Not a bad record, really.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Feb has been kind to town so far on 03:35 - Feb 18 with 2468 viewsWacko

It's not fickle, it's MM doing what most fans have been crying out for:

1. Allowing flair players to flourish
2. Not playing Chambers at right back
3. Not playing Douglas

PLUS bonus collateral

1. Less usage / reliance on Skuse
2. Knudsen not playing left back

He's still a stubborn prick, and there will almost certainly be more problems in the future, but right now the stars have aligned somewhat..

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Feb has been kind to town so far on 04:05 - Feb 18 with 2458 viewspowinswitch

I am a Mick out man. But I heap fulsome praise on him, for his part in the last 3 games. For they were very difficult fixtures anyway, but with the injuries we have sustained they became even more so.

There are tough games coming up, including today, and no team can be great every week. What will be telling for me, will be the team selection in the weeks ahead, all the way to the end of the season. I believe the upturn in form, and improvement in the mood among supporters is due to the team and formation in the last three games. Was this due to McCarthys technical nous, or just thrust upon us. It doesn't matter - we are where we are. But as players come back from injury, what will happen then. How will we play. Will certain players be accommodated and others sacrificed.

If they are and we continue to do well, and by that I mean play attractive football more than results, then it won't matter. But if we are, and we don't play well, and I mean that neither positive results or attractive football are sustained, then he has to be toast.

So my message is simple. The coming weeks will define the man for me. I am willing to forget an awful year to 15 months, if he can sustain the improved performances over the rest of the season. But if the old favourites are back, and the improvement flounders, then he must go. Come what may I will continue to cheer the team every game. COYB.
Feb has been kind to town so far on 08:17 - Feb 18 with 2415 viewsjas0999

I'm really not. Our saviours have been loan players, most of whom are unlikely to be with us next season Marcus Evans isn't even paying Huws full wages, poor lad is paying some himself. Chances of getting him permanently is small. The ambition in the transfer window also left a lot to be desired.

The results for the last three games have been promising, but unfortunately that doesn't make up for 14 months of quite simply boring, negative and poor football. Fans won't be flooding back in their droves based on 5 albeit decent points. 10 from 30 and outplayed b Lincoln twice since the turn f the year is disappointing,

I still think the club needs a change and freshen up in the summer. Mick has almost been forced to play more attacking players. It's not really him. The risk is we are back to square one in August.
Feb has been kind to town so far on 08:36 - Feb 18 with 2382 viewsNo9

The answer is to be found in the Reading game, second part of the first half= the changes which brought about a new ITFC, on the field of play.
Changes forced by circumstances
We may find the 'old guard' is back today
Login to get fewer ads

Feb has been kind to town so far on 09:23 - Feb 18 with 2350 viewsBent_double

Feb has been kind to town so far on 08:17 - Feb 18 by jas0999

I'm really not. Our saviours have been loan players, most of whom are unlikely to be with us next season Marcus Evans isn't even paying Huws full wages, poor lad is paying some himself. Chances of getting him permanently is small. The ambition in the transfer window also left a lot to be desired.

The results for the last three games have been promising, but unfortunately that doesn't make up for 14 months of quite simply boring, negative and poor football. Fans won't be flooding back in their droves based on 5 albeit decent points. 10 from 30 and outplayed b Lincoln twice since the turn f the year is disappointing,

I still think the club needs a change and freshen up in the summer. Mick has almost been forced to play more attacking players. It's not really him. The risk is we are back to square one in August.

I think you're being a bit unfair there: by all accounts Huws might have been a permanent signing if the player Warnock wanted (Best?) was prepared to go the other way.

We don't know what 'pay cut' he took to come here: was it £1k a week, £5k a week? Big deal, he's playing football, which is what he wanted to do, this will help him get a better contract in the summer if he moves.

Don't know the exact situation with Diagouraga except that Monk clearly didn't want him this season, so fair play to him coming here and giving us what we have been missing for a few years. No reason it can't turn into a permanent move in the summer.

There's hardly a club in the FL that doesn't use the loan system to their benefit, I don't have a problem with 2 or 3 loan players every season coming here to improve the team and force other players to up their game to get back in the side.

You're right that there's no excuse for some of the awful football we've been subjected to over the last couple of seasons, other than the owner wanting to keep costs down and a risk-adverse manager not willing to try something different until now.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Feb has been kind to town so far on 12:52 - Feb 18 with 2264 viewspowinswitch

Feb has been kind to town so far on 09:23 - Feb 18 by Bent_double

I think you're being a bit unfair there: by all accounts Huws might have been a permanent signing if the player Warnock wanted (Best?) was prepared to go the other way.

We don't know what 'pay cut' he took to come here: was it £1k a week, £5k a week? Big deal, he's playing football, which is what he wanted to do, this will help him get a better contract in the summer if he moves.

Don't know the exact situation with Diagouraga except that Monk clearly didn't want him this season, so fair play to him coming here and giving us what we have been missing for a few years. No reason it can't turn into a permanent move in the summer.

There's hardly a club in the FL that doesn't use the loan system to their benefit, I don't have a problem with 2 or 3 loan players every season coming here to improve the team and force other players to up their game to get back in the side.

You're right that there's no excuse for some of the awful football we've been subjected to over the last couple of seasons, other than the owner wanting to keep costs down and a risk-adverse manager not willing to try something different until now.

Your key sentence there is not having a problem with loan players forcing other players to up their game to get back in the side. Two loan players can't play today. They have been a major part of the last 3 games. Ward has also been a significant contributor. Let's see how people play today, and in the games to come and see how Mick selects the team in the weeks ahead. I hope if the 'old faithfulls' are not the answer that Mick is prepared to drop them. I am sceptical, but willing to see what happens.
Feb has been kind to town so far on 12:57 - Feb 18 with 2251 viewsMullet

Feb has been kind to town so far on 03:35 - Feb 18 by Wacko

3. Not playing Douglas

PLUS bonus collateral

He's still a stubborn prick, and there will almost certainly be more problems in the future, but right now the stars have aligned somewhat..

So he's changed things, but still "a stubborn prick" and apparently done so by doing "what most fans have been crying out for"?

Even though "most fans" have had massively changing views, point 1 is meaningless b0llocks given the changes to "flair players" in the last couple of weeks and 2 months of form or more Lawrence has been in.

Point 2 has been down to injuries and

Point 3 has also been down to injuries in the other direction of the season.

Essentially you're just trying to claim some credit for circumstance, which is pretty desperate.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Feb has been kind to town so far on 13:10 - Feb 18 with 2223 viewsBogblue

for me,I'm just more optimistic atm and waiting to see how things pan out over the next 2 or 3 games
Feb has been kind to town so far on 13:26 - Feb 18 with 2196 viewsbraveblue

Let's see what happens today. I suspect Skuse and Berra straight back on with Kenlock dropped. Could be a back 6 again like Fulham. The three in the centre that played at Brighton deserve to keep their places and the two young wing backs should play from now until the end of the season. No need for a holding midfielder with three CBs so play Bru.
Feb has been kind to town so far on 13:35 - Feb 18 with 2179 viewsgreyhound

Feb has been kind to town so far on 13:26 - Feb 18 by braveblue

Let's see what happens today. I suspect Skuse and Berra straight back on with Kenlock dropped. Could be a back 6 again like Fulham. The three in the centre that played at Brighton deserve to keep their places and the two young wing backs should play from now until the end of the season. No need for a holding midfielder with three CBs so play Bru.

We need to see how today plays out. The team announcement will be interesting. I'm sorry but I have to disagree about bru. I don't think he has shown the consistency we need right now
Feb has been kind to town so far on 15:10 - Feb 18 with 2144 viewsWacko

Feb has been kind to town so far on 12:57 - Feb 18 by Mullet

So he's changed things, but still "a stubborn prick" and apparently done so by doing "what most fans have been crying out for"?

Even though "most fans" have had massively changing views, point 1 is meaningless b0llocks given the changes to "flair players" in the last couple of weeks and 2 months of form or more Lawrence has been in.

Point 2 has been down to injuries and

Point 3 has also been down to injuries in the other direction of the season.

Essentially you're just trying to claim some credit for circumstance, which is pretty desperate.

Wow. Very hard to debate with someone who obliviously employs such vast levels of contradiction. I believe he's a stubborn prick because, as you say by, yes, contradicting yourself, he has been forced to make these changes because of injury and wouldn't have made them otherwise. The fear is when all are fit, he'll revert back to his past failing selections. I actually don't even get what your point is - did you read the OP?? He's asking whether it's a false dawn, and my WHOLE POINT is yes, it's all circumstance, that MM isn't up to the job (again, replying to the OP)... so are you agreeing?

From the moment Chambers was selected as right back, many fans including myself could see that he was a weak link. Up until he was moved to CB, I don't think a day had gone by on this board without someone complaining about it.

Exactly the same with Douglas. Sure, fans' opinions vary on other ITFC matters - but tell me a time when the majority were demanding Douglas or Chambers start or play RB respectively.

Point 1 is not b0ll0cks, it's also circumstance too. I'm personally a believer that football has moved on from the need of a big targetman, and was quite happy that Murphy left, in that it might change our style of play. Lawrence, as far as I'm aware, based on where he was being played earlier in the season, was never signed as a striker, and yet his form has forced him to be the main striker. With Murphy still there, or if we'd signed another big striker, I doubt that would have happened. But who knows.

As for being desperate, thanks for the unnecessary personal insult. No one knows the exact formula for a successful team, but when someone has analysed a team and the surrounding football climate for years, identifies key simple changes that could possibly stem a decline in form, those changes then happen, by circumstance or not, and the result is as expected, it's pretty good validation that they have some informed knowledge of the game. If you can't recognise this, then I think it shows you're out of your depth and you should probably stick to thinking up flowery match report metaphors instead.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Feb has been kind to town so far on 15:56 - Feb 18 with 2098 viewsMullet

Feb has been kind to town so far on 15:10 - Feb 18 by Wacko

Wow. Very hard to debate with someone who obliviously employs such vast levels of contradiction. I believe he's a stubborn prick because, as you say by, yes, contradicting yourself, he has been forced to make these changes because of injury and wouldn't have made them otherwise. The fear is when all are fit, he'll revert back to his past failing selections. I actually don't even get what your point is - did you read the OP?? He's asking whether it's a false dawn, and my WHOLE POINT is yes, it's all circumstance, that MM isn't up to the job (again, replying to the OP)... so are you agreeing?

From the moment Chambers was selected as right back, many fans including myself could see that he was a weak link. Up until he was moved to CB, I don't think a day had gone by on this board without someone complaining about it.

Exactly the same with Douglas. Sure, fans' opinions vary on other ITFC matters - but tell me a time when the majority were demanding Douglas or Chambers start or play RB respectively.

Point 1 is not b0ll0cks, it's also circumstance too. I'm personally a believer that football has moved on from the need of a big targetman, and was quite happy that Murphy left, in that it might change our style of play. Lawrence, as far as I'm aware, based on where he was being played earlier in the season, was never signed as a striker, and yet his form has forced him to be the main striker. With Murphy still there, or if we'd signed another big striker, I doubt that would have happened. But who knows.

As for being desperate, thanks for the unnecessary personal insult. No one knows the exact formula for a successful team, but when someone has analysed a team and the surrounding football climate for years, identifies key simple changes that could possibly stem a decline in form, those changes then happen, by circumstance or not, and the result is as expected, it's pretty good validation that they have some informed knowledge of the game. If you can't recognise this, then I think it shows you're out of your depth and you should probably stick to thinking up flowery match report metaphors instead.

It's odd you pick out something fairly obvious from your post as a personal insult and then, not just complain about it but try to give one yourself.

The contradictions are seemingly yours, hence me pointing them out.

The upswing in form is brilliant but only highlights that some, maybe a lot of the struggles have been down to our lack of options. Mainly through injury and in the case of Leon Best - attitude. (Bishop too if you believe the gossip) Let alone a mix of those things.

Your point about Chambers is a myth. He was RB for our best ever football under MM, when he initially went back to CB (let's take Brentford away last season) he was actually worse. People complaining about it, doesn't make it true - you could make the same point about Evans being an asset stripper, "tight" or any number of other things.

The problem is, you're just selecting certain things from the last 3/4 years and weeks and trying to conflate those which confirm your own bias. You seem very irate about that not making total sense. Backing them up with "most fans says" type stuff isn't analysis is it? Come on now.

The truth is far more likely down to having strength from the fresh legs, and Mick having to manage with what he's got has helped solidify the team spirit. You can see it on the pitch and in the players.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Feb has been kind to town so far on 21:56 - Feb 20 with 1917 viewsWicklowBlue

Feb has been kind to town so far on 03:35 - Feb 18 by Wacko

3. Not playing Douglas

PLUS bonus collateral

Is it not fickle watching people post Mick out then after 4 games decide they are Mick In?

So you believe Mick has decided after all these years to cave into Fans wishes, despite his regular comments deriding the very same?

How about Mick knew the limitations of his squad but through injuries/lack of cash/no emergency loans had his hand tied behind his back? The fans wanted Dozzell playing in the team instead of Douglas, did that work?

Then in Jan we bring in 7 players, namely 2 midfielders who have sparked the team to life, albeit loans. Initially MM and ME were derided for this but now the populace have switched sides and are praising the impact they have had. Swiftly followed by they are only here until the end of the season etc etc

Seems pretty fickle to me switching stances at the drop of a hat!

PS I have always been a Mick supporter, but admit my faith was waivering midway through the transfer window as we were in disarray. I will make my decision around Micks position at the end of the season. Not that my opinion matters at all.
Feb has been kind to town so far on 22:10 - Feb 20 with 1871 viewsgreyhound

Feb has been kind to town so far on 21:56 - Feb 20 by WicklowBlue

Is it not fickle watching people post Mick out then after 4 games decide they are Mick In?

So you believe Mick has decided after all these years to cave into Fans wishes, despite his regular comments deriding the very same?

How about Mick knew the limitations of his squad but through injuries/lack of cash/no emergency loans had his hand tied behind his back? The fans wanted Dozzell playing in the team instead of Douglas, did that work?

Then in Jan we bring in 7 players, namely 2 midfielders who have sparked the team to life, albeit loans. Initially MM and ME were derided for this but now the populace have switched sides and are praising the impact they have had. Swiftly followed by they are only here until the end of the season etc etc

Seems pretty fickle to me switching stances at the drop of a hat!

PS I have always been a Mick supporter, but admit my faith was waivering midway through the transfer window as we were in disarray. I will make my decision around Micks position at the end of the season. Not that my opinion matters at all.

All opinions matter! That's why we're here.

I believe in what your saying but would like to pick up on the quote around the players being loans. I have seen this mentioned in a fairly negative light the past week or so. Even when we are performing there are negatives to be found in not developing our own players.

Personally I don't mind as they have lifted the squad though I get the argument. To sign spence taylor, huws and diagouraga on long term deals for the club (or suitable length deals in Taylor's case) could be costly

Sonwould we rather go for that option with a side that is gelling or put the funds to use elsewhere and go again pre season.

Personally I don't think huws will be obtainable but I would rather keep this bunch together
Feb has been kind to town so far on 22:33 - Feb 20 with 1836 viewsWicklowBlue

Feb has been kind to town so far on 22:10 - Feb 20 by greyhound

All opinions matter! That's why we're here.

I believe in what your saying but would like to pick up on the quote around the players being loans. I have seen this mentioned in a fairly negative light the past week or so. Even when we are performing there are negatives to be found in not developing our own players.

Personally I don't mind as they have lifted the squad though I get the argument. To sign spence taylor, huws and diagouraga on long term deals for the club (or suitable length deals in Taylor's case) could be costly

Sonwould we rather go for that option with a side that is gelling or put the funds to use elsewhere and go again pre season.

Personally I don't think huws will be obtainable but I would rather keep this bunch together

Agreed!

We have seen the "yoof" come through with Kenlock and Emmanuel. I do believe Bishop will get back on form too. Dozzell is one for the future, like to see him as an impact sub and continue to give him minutes.

Next season our younger players will be physically stronger and more experienced. Much more likely to step up to compete at this level. However if Bish and Dozzell do not make a leap forward from where they are now then we need to sign up "Dave" and Huws. I'm not going to be silly and try to think we could keep Lawrence on the books.

For the first time in ages I am loving the balance and attacking intent in our midfield.

From an amateur/social sports level, the teams I captained over the years had to listen to my mantra that midfield wins and loses you games. I think the sudden upturn in performances recently is due to exactly this!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024