Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. 22:55 - Feb 18 with 1725 viewsunstableblue

First off, today made me realise what I've been missing so badly, and for so long.

Ipswich have generally been a low tempo, static, and defensive team, short of technical players for some years. I recently watched the highlights of our recent highlight play-off drive - and many of the goals are simply Murphy persistent brilliance, rather than coordinated passing moves.

But today was a refreshing reminder of what it feels like to feel proud of your team and their endeavours and ability. The sparse Town crowd, wittled down by the low quality fare of recent campaigns, showed their appreciation of the improving Town proposition by raucously clapping a move that actually didn't quite click - just because of the intent and what had come before. That used to happen every home game as Town made their last real push to the Premier League all those years ago.

This was my first live game of this recent run of improved form where 5 points had been secured when I for one had foreseen none. And the change is remarkable. Our system is not just changed with 5-3-2 - as this had been used and failed pretty miserably in many was including the huge gap between Knudsen and Berra - we are pressing up field much much higher, we are refusing to go long (apart from a few attempts by our Dane to send Sears into the wide channel)), but more importantly we have creativity with pace in central midfield and full backs who know how to be full backs.

And of course we worked, and we worked hard. All of this improvement was topped by a skilful close control master class from the rejuvenated and fully fit McGoldrick.

This wonderful spectacle, led to constant clapping and a beaming smile. But perhaps a tinge of anger - my mum could have told Marcus, mick and terry that we have lacked a decent central midfielder, we have lacked decent full backs, and we have gone too long ball, for far far too long. So why no action? It all feels a bit too late.

But let's not be negative, let's continue to enjoy the qualities of today.

Huws is really good, and he is bringing the very best out of ward. Ward who along with Sears has just not been played right, not been given the space and service needed - well he was excellent today. Berra and Spence also had stand out game - Berra had a 90min one on one battle with Wood which he won, and again was entertainment in its own right.

But everyone had a good game, we deserved a win because despite long passages of Leeds possession they couldn't really trouble Bart, and we had Leeds scrambling. I guess the down sides are a soft goal to cocncede, and maybe not working their goal more for all our good attacking intent. Perhaps we needed another player breaking through. But in some ways Ward and then Bishop were being used to ruffle their deep lying midfielders, rather than full attack.

How Huws is not in the Cardiff first team is beyond me, he has a bit of pace, some lovely ball control, he can shield, and he can distribute. He was everything we have been missing. Skuse may get some stick, but he was OK, however I did think that he looked technically inferior to those around him and especially to Bru who cam on and did very well for me.

Spence is also a very good technical player, and I do think better than Emmnuelle, who I rate.

Kenlock impressed me with his composure, and for me Knudsen seems to have gained some maturity and guile.

But the best thing today was Mick selecting Sears, urging his players to press forward, and discouraging long ball with the system. Are the dark days of chambers at right back, Douglas in the centre, and meaningless blasts forward behind us? I'd certainly encourage blues back to Portman Road if that is the case.

PS - Leeds fans make for a great atmosphere, a proper match.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 22:58]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 04:06 - Feb 19 with 1491 viewsharlingblue

Your report sums up my thoughts of the game, great entertainment at last, a formation that suits our players, and something for us supporters to cheer. If we see our team on the front foot, pressing hard for a win, we will give our all, and come back in droves.
If we see/watch a team selected in fear to only match the opposition, and not beat them, then we might as well stay in the pub, or be as quiet as a Library.
Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 05:29 - Feb 19 with 1457 viewspowinswitch

I think overall that's a fair assessment. The last 4 games have clearly seen significant improvement and it starts with intent. We are no longer going out to just stop the opposition. Whilst I do believe had we had Diagourouga and Lawrence, they would have tipped the scales, there are no complaints about their replacements Skuse and Sears today. The wing backs are very key to our play, and all three of Kenlock, Spence and Emmanuel are better wide defensive options than Knudsen and Chambers. Who are better options in a 3 cb set up. Let's stick with what our players seem to be good at.
Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 09:30 - Feb 19 with 1242 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The quality of football yesterday was better than most of what I witnessed during the recent play off season.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 09:52 - Feb 19 with 1187 viewsWeekender

Much better isn't it.

I'm being a bit negative here but it frustrates me that took so long for mick to work this out.

Long may it continue but jury is still out for now for me.

The club need to build on this and performances need to continue for the rest of the season. They then need to ensure people like Chambers and Spence get longer contracts and huws and dioraga signed permanently.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 10:56 - Feb 19 with 1059 viewshadleighboyblue

Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 09:52 - Feb 19 by Weekender

Much better isn't it.

I'm being a bit negative here but it frustrates me that took so long for mick to work this out.

Long may it continue but jury is still out for now for me.

The club need to build on this and performances need to continue for the rest of the season. They then need to ensure people like Chambers and Spence get longer contracts and huws and dioraga signed permanently.

Agreed , the football is so much better lately and the last 2 home performances deserved wins.

It's a shame that 3 of the main reasons for this great improvement are only loans . Lawrence is out of our price range now , but the 2 in midfield have been terrific and we should be talking to their clubs now to try and get permanent signings agreed for next season .

Others have stepped up their performances as well , I thought Berra played Woods out of the game and Spence is really looking like a good signing . Chambers and Knudsen have improved with the new system and McColdrick showed some lovely touches yesterday .

I don't think Skuse does enough , he seems to hold back on making a significant contribution to the game , the games seem to pass him by .
Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 16:46 - Feb 19 with 903 viewsPilgrimblue

Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 10:56 - Feb 19 by hadleighboyblue

Agreed , the football is so much better lately and the last 2 home performances deserved wins.

It's a shame that 3 of the main reasons for this great improvement are only loans . Lawrence is out of our price range now , but the 2 in midfield have been terrific and we should be talking to their clubs now to try and get permanent signings agreed for next season .

Others have stepped up their performances as well , I thought Berra played Woods out of the game and Spence is really looking like a good signing . Chambers and Knudsen have improved with the new system and McColdrick showed some lovely touches yesterday .

I don't think Skuse does enough , he seems to hold back on making a significant contribution to the game , the games seem to pass him by .

Skuse hasn't done enough all season IMHO and add Dougy his play mate its no wonder the results were so poor.
Dave must return at his expense but fear that MM will drop Ward instead
Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 16:49 - Feb 19 with 894 viewsNo9

Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 16:46 - Feb 19 by Pilgrimblue

Skuse hasn't done enough all season IMHO and add Dougy his play mate its no wonder the results were so poor.

& we nee Ward with Huws to run at the budgies defence.
Hoolihan will run rings round Skuse (again & again)
Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 16:53 - Feb 19 with 884 viewshadleighboyblue

Thank God for that - thoughts on Leeds at home.. on 16:46 - Feb 19 by Pilgrimblue

Agreed .

Playing less negative football has made us so much better , thanks to our improved midfield , but got a feeling MM will go defensive again next week .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024