Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Mick won everyone over yet 08:48 - Feb 19 with 7539 viewsBluefish

Or are the modern fans still demanding a change?

We have repeatedly been told the following need to change and them they will support him

Entertaining football
Change the formation
Stop playing Douglas
Pick the young full backs
Change the midfield
Be less direct
Move chambers to the middle
Make us hard to beat
Get the feel good factor back

He has done everything that could be asked of him despite the requirements changing regularly but I expect there will be new requirements or it will be claimed as too late. The fact is these fans don't care about those things they just want a change because that is what happens in modern football. Keeping the manager is old school and not I line with the desperation for Premier league football at all costs.

Mick has turned us round after a horror show of a season with injuries. Yes he has been stubborn at times but he has pulled us thorough it and we look good.

Ups and down, thick and thin

Believe!

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:34 - Feb 19 with 1464 viewsJ2BLUE

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:31 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

Cardiff were prepared to swap Huws for Leon Best, but unfortunately Best was injured.

So unless Best is a £2m striker....

Where has this come from? Where is it confirmed that they wanted a permanent deal with Best for Huws? It seems really unlikely especially with Warnock knowing MM well enough to know that with Best not playing; if he wanted him he could likely have him for free. Giving away an asset with two years left on his deal for what they could have got for free is unlikely.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:34 - Feb 19 with 1462 viewstheipswichman

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 09:15 - Feb 19 by textbackup

Skuse, Berra.... Good god don't you follow?

I'm not sure how these injuries 'forced his hand', the change to formation and addition of new players was done before these two injuries. either way, who cares if its forced or not, Micks made the change were playing well so what's the problem?
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:34 - Feb 19 with 1463 viewsElderGrizzly

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:32 - Feb 19 by ITFCBlues

Swap- you mean loan? They wanted Best on loan...

No, it was a permanent deal apparently.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:37 - Feb 19 with 1457 viewsElderGrizzly

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:34 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

Where has this come from? Where is it confirmed that they wanted a permanent deal with Best for Huws? It seems really unlikely especially with Warnock knowing MM well enough to know that with Best not playing; if he wanted him he could likely have him for free. Giving away an asset with two years left on his deal for what they could have got for free is unlikely.

Huws is not a £2m midfielder so that point is rather mute. He is someone who hasn't had much of a kick for Cardiff since signing and spent last season in L1.

It was reported on here by Phil i believe and quite widely by various journalists on Twitter on the swap deal?

If Warnock remains at Cardiff, i would be fairly confident Huws will leave. It's just where he goes to. Maybe MM will sign him for Forest in the summer? ;)
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:41 - Feb 19 with 1436 viewsSwn98

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 09:04 - Feb 19 by ClausThomsen

It's one month - if it lasts till the end of the season then fair enough.

But this is still the same experienced managed that has spent the last 2 seasons "matching up" to and failing to create chances against the poorest of opposition, when we could have been playing round pegs in round holes all that time. The same manager that was outwitted by a PE teacher over 2 legs...

It's too little, too late. And I don't trust it will last.

Round pegs in round holes is one of the laziest yet oft used descriptions to justify ones point of view okay has the pe teacher not outwitted 5 other managers to get to the where they are including premier manager let's forget that old chestnut.
MM has managed to find for nothing 7 players that have transformed the team from desperation of the Derby game to being able to hold our own against anyone in the Championship give the man some respect for that.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:43 - Feb 19 with 1435 viewsJ2BLUE

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:37 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

Huws is not a £2m midfielder so that point is rather mute. He is someone who hasn't had much of a kick for Cardiff since signing and spent last season in L1.

It was reported on here by Phil i believe and quite widely by various journalists on Twitter on the swap deal?

If Warnock remains at Cardiff, i would be fairly confident Huws will leave. It's just where he goes to. Maybe MM will sign him for Forest in the summer? ;)

He's getting great reviews and with the current financial climate he could well be a £2m player by the summer.

I think you've misinterpreted Warnock about the deal. I might be wrong but look at this:

"There aren't many lads like Emyr," Warnock added. "He came to see me and said he'd take a drop in wages to play. How many people say that, everybody just wants to stay put normally. He wanted to go. I was going to do a swap and unfortunately the player I wanted to swap was injured.

"I didn't want to stop him and Mick's a great pal of mine. I thought it'd give them another body really."

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31111/warnock-confirms-huws-took-pay-cut

Sounds like it was a loan swap and when he discovered Best was injured he let it go through anyway for the sake of the player and his mate.

Truly impaired.

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:45 - Feb 19 with 1426 viewsGuthrum

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 09:32 - Feb 19 by jas0999

This season we were supposedly meant to be challenging for promotion. Our league position is therefore disappointing. We have however just seen four promising performances. Results okay but not great. Can't help but feel mick has been forced in to playing more attacking. The whinging and moaning of fans paid off - who who made the call? Was mick told to change his ways?

Equally, we have won just two games in all competitions in2017. Derby and Lincoln away shouldn't be swept under the carpet. Four good showings versus a very poor season. Still much to do in my opinion.

Or you could say that poor transfer dealings and injuries forced McCarthy's team to play badly until he was able to sort things out with players returning, youngsters proving they were ready and some judicious, but cheap, additions (which he couldn't make until January).

There's no longer an "Emergency" Loan window to make running repairs to the squad if players get injured or don't work out. McCarthy's comments, particularly post-match, over recent months showed he knew how bad it was.

Look at the players he had available: With Hyam, Bishop, Coke and Williams injured, he had the options in central midfield of the primarily defensive Skuse, the less mobile Douglas, Bru, whose performances can be patchy and the inexperienced, physically slight, 17-year-old Dozzell. Ward had to go wide right and Lawrence on the left as there were no other real candidates for those roles. People groan when Douglas comes on, but who else was there?

Up front (having lost our mobile big man right at the end of the window) we were stuck with the out-of-form Sears, Pitman who is more of an impact goalpoacher and Best, who just didn't work.

When Berra's form started to wobble at the back, there was nobody to replace him with, given Webster was already injured.

It's all very well to say that the Manager should have signed better players back in the summer, but so many recent transfer windows have shown that ITFC does not have the available budget to compete with many other teams in the division for players of already proven quality. When you're shopping amongst the disregarded and the undiscovered, there's always going to be an appreciable failure rate (same as with youths graduating from the Academy).

You can't make a nice table with a blunt saw and a broken hammer. But at least we're not having to eat our tea off our laps any more.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:46 - Feb 19 with 1421 viewsElderGrizzly

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:43 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

He's getting great reviews and with the current financial climate he could well be a £2m player by the summer.

I think you've misinterpreted Warnock about the deal. I might be wrong but look at this:

"There aren't many lads like Emyr," Warnock added. "He came to see me and said he'd take a drop in wages to play. How many people say that, everybody just wants to stay put normally. He wanted to go. I was going to do a swap and unfortunately the player I wanted to swap was injured.

"I didn't want to stop him and Mick's a great pal of mine. I thought it'd give them another body really."

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31111/warnock-confirms-huws-took-pay-cut

Sounds like it was a loan swap and when he discovered Best was injured he let it go through anyway for the sake of the player and his mate.

Maybe he will be, maybe not but £2m appears unrealistic and just a downer for us all to get on.

But he wasn't getting a kick for Cardiff team who were in the relegation zone when Warnock arrived and he's been excellent here, but not convinced that puts him in that bracket.

We'll see, but better not to worry about it until the summer, as we're likely to have a new manager who may not want him anyway.

And in theory, we have Bishop who has the game to replicate Huws. Just if he can get back fit
Login to get fewer ads

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:49 - Feb 19 with 1409 viewsReuser_is_God

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:46 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

Maybe he will be, maybe not but £2m appears unrealistic and just a downer for us all to get on.

But he wasn't getting a kick for Cardiff team who were in the relegation zone when Warnock arrived and he's been excellent here, but not convinced that puts him in that bracket.

We'll see, but better not to worry about it until the summer, as we're likely to have a new manager who may not want him anyway.

And in theory, we have Bishop who has the game to replicate Huws. Just if he can get back fit

If we refuse to pay £2m for Huws we may as well give up.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:49 - Feb 19 with 1409 viewsJ2BLUE

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:46 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

I can't see us having a new manager. What's the point when we'd have to pay MM off and find a replacement who we then wouldn't back?

Fan pressure to sack him will be non-existent if performances and results are maintained. Even if they aren't, fans now know the real problem. Tell Milne he isn't fooling anyone, we all know Evans is going to keep us in this league (at best) forever. Unless someone performs a miracle and no one has more chance than MM.

Truly impaired.

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:51 - Feb 19 with 1407 viewsElderGrizzly

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:49 - Feb 19 by Reuser_is_God

If we refuse to pay £2m for Huws we may as well give up.

So we should pay £2m for someone who couldn't get in Cardiff's first team squad? Ok...
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:52 - Feb 19 with 1392 viewsSomethingBlue

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 09:00 - Feb 19 by textbackup

Personally it got too bad for him to change my opinion. It's only gotten better since his hand was forced with injuries, which is why I'm not entirely sure he can be held as the man that's turned us round.

So if (if) we stayed on this course, you wouldn't change your mind?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:53 - Feb 19 with 1395 viewsElderGrizzly

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:49 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

I can't see us having a new manager. What's the point when we'd have to pay MM off and find a replacement who we then wouldn't back?

Fan pressure to sack him will be non-existent if performances and results are maintained. Even if they aren't, fans now know the real problem. Tell Milne he isn't fooling anyone, we all know Evans is going to keep us in this league (at best) forever. Unless someone performs a miracle and no one has more chance than MM.

I'd say it's nailed on for a mutual consent leaving in the summer. Mick's had enough.

As i said above, i'm back on the fence on Mick, but if this good football can't get back people like you who don't go to games, then it's all rather difficult for the club to compete.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:53 - Feb 19 with 1384 viewsNo9

Not at all convinced he has learned anything.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:56 - Feb 19 with 1377 viewsJ2BLUE

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:51 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

So we should pay £2m for someone who couldn't get in Cardiff's first team squad? Ok...

You do realise his performances will be noted by Cardiff? Each decent performance adds more to his fee or increases the likelihood Cardiff give him a real chance. From the story it just seems that players have come in and done a decent job, not that he isn't considered up to it.

Truly impaired.

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:58 - Feb 19 with 1370 viewsElderGrizzly

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:56 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

You do realise his performances will be noted by Cardiff? Each decent performance adds more to his fee or increases the likelihood Cardiff give him a real chance. From the story it just seems that players have come in and done a decent job, not that he isn't considered up to it.

Of course I have made that link, but he was there when they were doing poorly and wasn't brought in and the club went outside and brought more players in.

I hope he continues to do well, but until the manager situation is resolved both here and at Cardiff it's all rather pointless worrying
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 11:03 - Feb 19 with 1355 viewsSuperfrans

Agreed.

Great day yesterday, for lots of reasons. But, fundamentally, what a delight to see a Town team playing so well, looking the better team against an opposition who will make the playoffs this season. And not for the first time in recent weeks either.

I was in a different seat to usual - I swapped my usual seat in the SBRL for a seat in the directors section, tickets bought in auction at a supporters event for a game of my choice. It was a special treat for a "big birthday" this year and was totally worth it - I wouldn't do it every week, I couldn't afford it, but as a very special treat, I would heartily recommend it.

The section itself was packed with legends from down the years - Butcher, Ferguson, Dozzell, Burley, Deehan, Charlie Woods etc etc and many others. Felt me feeling how special this club is, that we remain in touch with so many great people from our history. My wife (a Spurs season ticket holder of many years standing and someone who knows her football) was equally impressed.

I also saw a mate of mine who is a Leeds fan in there too. Both he and my wife were impressed with us - they thought we played good football and deserved to win.

Spence was excellent first half, aside from the goal conceded. Looked a genuinely quality player. No idea how we have managed to get him free. And I feel more optimistic without Lawrence now we have Huws - hopefully, Cardiff can continue doing well, Warnock will stay and they won't want him next season.

McGoldrick - back on song, a special player.
Chambers - still our leader, sign him up quickly.
Sears - best performance for ages, covered loads of ground, with pace.
Kenlock - was an inch away from impressive forward dribbles about 2/3 times. Excellent player.
Berra - also back on form, kept Wood totally quiet.
Ward - so much better in central midfield, glides across the pitch, he'll be a big player for us over the next 2/3 years.
Skuse - heard a murmur from a good source that he felt his Achilles, which was why he came off.

All in all, great day, excellent performance, really feel optimistic about next season. Had we had this team from October onwards we'd be knocking on the door for play-offs imho.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 11:04 - Feb 19 with 1345 viewsJ2BLUE

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:58 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

Of course I have made that link, but he was there when they were doing poorly and wasn't brought in and the club went outside and brought more players in.

I hope he continues to do well, but until the manager situation is resolved both here and at Cardiff it's all rather pointless worrying

I'm not worrying. He will cost a reasonable fee and is on decent wages. I've already accepted he won't come and if he does it will be an bonus.

Truly impaired.

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 11:15 - Feb 19 with 1329 viewsNo9

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:51 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

If you had heard the lad say, on the radio, he was happy to take a pay cut to play first team football it shows a determination to do well = GOOD.
If you have been watching Town since he arrived you should have seen how he has transformed Towns midfield from NO HOPE to something worrying other teams.

On that basis alone he is worth a lot of dosh - to Town at least.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 11:15 - Feb 19 with 1328 viewsElderGrizzly

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 11:04 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

I'm not worrying. He will cost a reasonable fee and is on decent wages. I've already accepted he won't come and if he does it will be an bonus.

You may mot be, others have already decided it's the end of the world if we don't sign him
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 11:55 - Feb 19 with 1263 viewsClausThomsen

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:45 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

Or you could say that poor transfer dealings and injuries forced McCarthy's team to play badly until he was able to sort things out with players returning, youngsters proving they were ready and some judicious, but cheap, additions (which he couldn't make until January).

There's no longer an "Emergency" Loan window to make running repairs to the squad if players get injured or don't work out. McCarthy's comments, particularly post-match, over recent months showed he knew how bad it was.

Look at the players he had available: With Hyam, Bishop, Coke and Williams injured, he had the options in central midfield of the primarily defensive Skuse, the less mobile Douglas, Bru, whose performances can be patchy and the inexperienced, physically slight, 17-year-old Dozzell. Ward had to go wide right and Lawrence on the left as there were no other real candidates for those roles. People groan when Douglas comes on, but who else was there?

Up front (having lost our mobile big man right at the end of the window) we were stuck with the out-of-form Sears, Pitman who is more of an impact goalpoacher and Best, who just didn't work.

When Berra's form started to wobble at the back, there was nobody to replace him with, given Webster was already injured.

It's all very well to say that the Manager should have signed better players back in the summer, but so many recent transfer windows have shown that ITFC does not have the available budget to compete with many other teams in the division for players of already proven quality. When you're shopping amongst the disregarded and the undiscovered, there's always going to be an appreciable failure rate (same as with youths graduating from the Academy).

You can't make a nice table with a blunt saw and a broken hammer. But at least we're not having to eat our tea off our laps any more.

" he had the options in central midfield of the primarily defensive Skuse, the less mobile Douglas, Bru, whose performances can be patchy and the inexperienced, physically slight, 17-year-old Dozzell. Ward had to go wide right and Lawrence on the left as there were no other real candidates for those roles. People groan when Douglas comes on, but who else was there? "

Grant Ward as it turns out - played there for Rotherham last season and when he came on as a substitute and scored a hattrick on his debut. And he's started playing there again in our recent run of form... Douglas' constant inclusion is indefensible. If we enter a season with no players to play in certain positions, that's Mick's fault.

If McCarthy's style of play was so dependent on a targetman, then he shouldn't have entered a season with just the one, who was 33 anyway and had just played in the Euros (and looked a bit knackered the previous season). But he stubbornly stuck with his "winning football" while we struggled to even test the opposition keeper.

We could have played in our current shape all season - only Huws and Spence were additions to the XI yesterday. Bru/Bishop could have played instead of Huws and Emmanuel instead of Spence - we could have signed Spence any time after his trial anyway.

But we've wasted all that time "matching up"...

Wait till we're safe then get Rowett in, Birmingham's loss is going to be someone else's gain - might as well be ours.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 12:02 - Feb 19 with 1252 viewsPhilTWTD

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 10:34 - Feb 19 by ElderGrizzly

No, it was a permanent deal apparently.

That would surprise me, to be honest. Best only has a matter of months on his contract, so I was assuming it would have been a loan swap.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 12:56 - Feb 19 with 1184 viewsGarv

He's pulled us out of the hole he put us in by doing the opposite to all those things you list.

We've had false dawns before. For many yes it is too late.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 12:58 - Feb 19 with 1171 viewsLankHenners

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 11:55 - Feb 19 by ClausThomsen

" he had the options in central midfield of the primarily defensive Skuse, the less mobile Douglas, Bru, whose performances can be patchy and the inexperienced, physically slight, 17-year-old Dozzell. Ward had to go wide right and Lawrence on the left as there were no other real candidates for those roles. People groan when Douglas comes on, but who else was there? "

Grant Ward as it turns out - played there for Rotherham last season and when he came on as a substitute and scored a hattrick on his debut. And he's started playing there again in our recent run of form... Douglas' constant inclusion is indefensible. If we enter a season with no players to play in certain positions, that's Mick's fault.

If McCarthy's style of play was so dependent on a targetman, then he shouldn't have entered a season with just the one, who was 33 anyway and had just played in the Euros (and looked a bit knackered the previous season). But he stubbornly stuck with his "winning football" while we struggled to even test the opposition keeper.

We could have played in our current shape all season - only Huws and Spence were additions to the XI yesterday. Bru/Bishop could have played instead of Huws and Emmanuel instead of Spence - we could have signed Spence any time after his trial anyway.

But we've wasted all that time "matching up"...

Wait till we're safe then get Rowett in, Birmingham's loss is going to be someone else's gain - might as well be ours.

So you are critical of Mick's style of football but advocate Rowett as a replacement? Wow.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 13:31 - Feb 19 with 1141 viewsbraveblue

Will need to see it for more than a couple of games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024