Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on Leeds match 11:05 - Feb 19 with 688 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

It was almost like the Leeds at Portman Road fixture could not have been better timed ahead of Norwich now next Sunday. Fans well and truly up for it, because who isn't when Leeds are in town? Atmosphere around the ground back to normal. Sir Bobby Robson lower in fine voice getting behind the boys. Leeds bringing a sell out crowd and making plenty of noise. Players and Mick re-juvenated, given a new lease of life and fighting for each other - all ahead of a big game where we are under no pressure going into Norwich.

Cannot fault a single player. Commitment, passion, energy, skill, determination, work rate and a real level of togetherness. But this has been evident for me since the Reading game. Whoever Mick has selected has given their all and the fans are back on side.

Made a post the other day expressing how Mick and TC have turned this around with the change of system, and new additions to the squad to help bolster and improve us on the pitch, but the players deserve plenty of credit for putting this right too. Guts, hard work and determination on the training ground to put this right and it's reaping the rewards on the pitch.

It's pleasing to see that with this 3-5-2 system we've experimented with different players across that 3 and they've all done brilliant and done a suitable job. Bialkowski is Bialkowski - in a better team who knows the level of football where he could've got to - but he's our keeper and he's the best we've had in ages. A real asset to our team. Certainly is pleasing to see that we've got options along the back line who are comfortable and have settled into their jobs well. We've seen Webster (who I did think we'd miss a lot more than we have), we've seen Chambers, Steven Taylor, Berra, Spence, Knudsen and Digby all play across that 3 in different selections and apart from Derby, it's worked well. Even Tommy Smith is yet to feature in that back 3 yet but he's another option who's back fit and ready when called upon. Christophe Berra in the centre of that back 3 worked to great effect yesterday - did Chris Wood play? Loves a battle with the striker where he can see their number and he's dominant. Knudsen LCB is the future position for him. He has to stay LCB - he's class there and his game is more suited to that role.

Special credit has to go to Luke Chambers. Surely will get a new contract now? He's Mr Ipswich. The fact he's playing with two cracked ribs tells you how committed to the cause he is. The glue in that back 3 - using his experience and leading the team with a never say die attitude. Been a critic of him before but certainly won't criticise him again after his performances and fight for the cause and for the football club.

Young lads on the wing back roles have done well. Even Spence like yesterday, filled in there and did a good job, both defensively and technically with the ball. Possibly at fault for the goal but it's unclear to me how much Dallas had of Spence's shirt when the cross was flighted in. Kenlock always has looked assured to me. Comfortable on the ball too. Decent defensively - room for improvement though at times. More games he gets the better for his development. Emmanuel is a player I'm not a real fan of, but he's been ok at right wing back. Wing back is certainly a better position for him than right back - often caught out 1 v 1. Again, more game time with enhance his development too.

Midfield 3 yesterday possibly wasn't as effective as when Diagouraga has been in there - but it's good to see that Skuse filled in and did his usual job well. Is Skuse injured or fatigued? Emyr Huws is a player who I cannot understand wasn't fancied at Cardiff. I know Cardiff have some technical players like Peter Whittingham, Joe Ralls etc but Huws hasn't put a foot wrong and he's very clever. Good use of his body to shield to play, knows when to use a burst of pace or when to keep it simple. Sweet left foot on him. Physically he's a good asset to the team. A proper Mick McCarthy player. Diagouraga would be one of the first on the team sheet for me though for the future - his presence, defensive assurance and discipline, and forward thinking allows the attacking two to do what they're in the side to do and make it happen up top.

Going to give another special mention this time to Grant Ward. Every team needs an engine in their side and ours is Grant Ward. He's everywhere. He helps the two up top to press high and he's got the legs on him to get back in shape and help the other two in midfield. For me, the system works with him in the side. Not the best technically, but he's getting about the pitch and covering where needed. Would be very unfortunate to be left out at Norwich for me if Skuse/Huws/Diagouraga/Ward are all fit. Helps out with the defensive duty with whoevers at right wing back too. He's comfortable in midfield and he's flourishing. We're seeing the best out of him - for me, he's in contention for Player of the Month for February. Though the whole team deserve the award.

Bru, Douglas and Bishop have fallen down the pecking order. Dozzell probably unlikely to feature for the 1st team much more again this season. Williams to come back but I imagine this system isn't one for him too, so likely to be on the bench. Dozzell should mirror Huws - same type of player but Huws knows how to do the off the ball work. But Teddy Bishop for me faces a real struggle to get back into the team on a regular basis. Fitness isn't good enough to play in this system. High pressing isn't his game. Technically he's well attributed, but Huws is consistently performing. Make or break for him in the summer for me.

David McGoldrick was back to his best yesterday. A goal would've topped his performance yesterday. I believe there is glue on his foot at times - makes the ball stick so well with close control. Not the hardest working, we all know that, but invaluable with what he does with the ball. Released Sears into good areas yesterday - want to see that performance at Norwich topped with a goal.

Freddie Sears looked refreshed yesterday. Lovely taken goal. What pleased me with Sears is not what he does with the ball, because in fact, he does very little with the ball but it's the effect he has off the ball. Running into channels, making defenders run towards their goal, becoming an extra man in midfield, working hard for the team. That's invaluable but a credit to himself. A real team player. Will be an important player against Norwich. Can stretch the game and win us set pieces/restarts higher up the pitch to great effect.

Overall, I didn't think Leeds were bad but we should've taken 3 points. If we had Tom Lawrence we would've. He's the difference maker. Everybody played well. Recent performances have been encouraging. Getting the fans back supporting the club. Forward thinking players have been used well to great effect. 3-5-2 is suited to the players we have. Unbeaten in 4 going into Norwich. We're due a win at Carrow Road - nothing to lose, no pressure on us and we go in to the game with confidence and fans who are in high spirits. Onwards and upwards. Portman Road is slowly becoming a force again and we look tough to beat away from home too.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024