Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. 14:42 - Feb 19 with 996 viewsunstableblue

... to account.... he just made up an attack in Sweden, claiming based on immigration, completely made up.... he IS fake news, he making stuff up. This is beyond funny now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/19/trump-refers-non-existent-refugee-inc

[Edit]Switched to General from football[/Edit]

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 14:45 - Feb 19 with 967 viewsRyorry

Jeez (him, not you Unstableblue - perhaps he should swap names with you! ;) )

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 14:47 - Feb 19 with 952 viewsunstableblue

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 14:45 - Feb 19 by Ryorry

Jeez (him, not you Unstableblue - perhaps he should swap names with you! ;) )

He makes me look sane.

Any Sunday film recommendations for me and the family?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 14:48 - Feb 19 with 941 viewsJ2BLUE

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 14:47 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

He makes me look sane.

12 years a slave if you haven't seen it. Superb film.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 14:48 - Feb 19 with 939 viewsRyorry

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 14:47 - Feb 19 by unstableblue

He makes me look sane.

Sad to say I don't have time for films these days :(

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:02 - Feb 19 with 909 viewsGuthrum

He's not the most eloquent public speaker. Possibly part of the problem could be Trump garbling the words his writers put in front of him*. Combined with incomplete research work (even reputable UK newspapers are frequently guilty of that nowadays, let alone an opinionated political faction), leads to a Chinese whispers situation where a TV documentary the previous evening becomes 'what’s happening last night in Sweden'.

After all, it's such an obvious fact which can be checked, he's going to get caught out.

Beware of ascribing to malice what can better be explained by incompetence.

* Even presuming his eyesight, at the age of 70, is still tremendous ... the best.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:07 - Feb 19 with 887 viewsNo9

This is the man our PM wishes to have a State visit & to meet our head of state.
Seems all ethical & moral values are in the Westminster gutter
Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:11 - Feb 19 with 875 viewssparks

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:02 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

He's not the most eloquent public speaker. Possibly part of the problem could be Trump garbling the words his writers put in front of him*. Combined with incomplete research work (even reputable UK newspapers are frequently guilty of that nowadays, let alone an opinionated political faction), leads to a Chinese whispers situation where a TV documentary the previous evening becomes 'what’s happening last night in Sweden'.

After all, it's such an obvious fact which can be checked, he's going to get caught out.

* Even presuming his eyesight, at the age of 70, is still tremendous ... the best.

I hear what you say but he is not stupid, and has a clear record of repeating untriuths he has been called on. He does it quite deliberately, I am certain. He works on the basis that if you say it enough, it becomes the received wisdom. The manner in which he is disdainfully dismissing even the most sound of regular media sources, repeatedly and forcibly, reinforces the view that its an entirely cynical tactic. Which will work with many who suffer from extreme confirmation bias (or indeed just ignorance). Or half the US electroate as it is otherwise known.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:12 - Feb 19 with 864 viewsClausThomsen

Not a football thread
Login to get fewer ads

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:12 - Feb 19 with 864 viewsNo9

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:11 - Feb 19 by sparks

I hear what you say but he is not stupid, and has a clear record of repeating untriuths he has been called on. He does it quite deliberately, I am certain. He works on the basis that if you say it enough, it becomes the received wisdom. The manner in which he is disdainfully dismissing even the most sound of regular media sources, repeatedly and forcibly, reinforces the view that its an entirely cynical tactic. Which will work with many who suffer from extreme confirmation bias (or indeed just ignorance). Or half the US electroate as it is otherwise known.

"He works on the basis that if you say it enough, it becomes the received wisdom"

Didn't a prominent Nazi work on that principle?
Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:24 - Feb 19 with 823 viewsRyorry

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:12 - Feb 19 by ClausThomsen

Not a football thread

For only those, you need to select the "football" section ... this is the general discussion area, which may or may not include discussions on football ...

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:25 - Feb 19 with 819 viewsGuthrum

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:11 - Feb 19 by sparks

He sticks with what he's said because he can't be seen to lose. He sees himself as an alpha male "winner", so what he says must be true by definition. He's probably had that all his life, people round him agreeing with whatever comes out of his mouth. But in the harsh world of national politics, you can't just disparage, sue or outspend those you clash with.

In difficult times (perceived or real), people tend to favour those who present themselves as strong leaders with big ideas. Donald Trump does just that, reinforcing his authoritative image from The Apprentice. But I don't believe he's a competent or as in control as he tries to project. He doesn't yet know the right levers to pull - indeed half the controls aren't even in place yet.

To go all Godwin for a moment, Hitler's government was hamstrung and probably fatally damaged by infighting between different groups which he was only able to prevent from overthrowing his own position by pitting them against each other. I'm getting the same signals of factional struggle out of Washington. And Trump doesn't even have Hitler's party and personal loyalty cards to play.

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:26 - Feb 19 with 803 viewsRyorry

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:25 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

He sticks with what he's said because he can't be seen to lose. He sees himself as an alpha male "winner", so what he says must be true by definition. He's probably had that all his life, people round him agreeing with whatever comes out of his mouth. But in the harsh world of national politics, you can't just disparage, sue or outspend those you clash with.

In difficult times (perceived or real), people tend to favour those who present themselves as strong leaders with big ideas. Donald Trump does just that, reinforcing his authoritative image from The Apprentice. But I don't believe he's a competent or as in control as he tries to project. He doesn't yet know the right levers to pull - indeed half the controls aren't even in place yet.

To go all Godwin for a moment, Hitler's government was hamstrung and probably fatally damaged by infighting between different groups which he was only able to prevent from overthrowing his own position by pitting them against each other. I'm getting the same signals of factional struggle out of Washington. And Trump doesn't even have Hitler's party and personal loyalty cards to play.

Really interesting analysis there Guthers, ta.

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:31 - Feb 19 with 792 viewsRyorry

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:02 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

See Elder Grizzly's Trump thread -

"Btw, there was an atack in Sehwan yesterday which killed 88. Maybe he just can't read?"

!!!

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:32 - Feb 19 with 791 viewsStokieBlue

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:25 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

Are people on here going to keep drawing comparisons between Trump and Hitler?

Trump is a complete tool and shouldn't be near the presidency. However he's not Hitler and the constant need many seem to have to draw that comparison tends to lessen their arguments in my opinion, regardless of the context they try and put it in.

There are many other examples of intra-governmental squabbling you could have chose.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:35 - Feb 19 with 780 viewsGuthrum

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:32 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

Trump is a complete tool and shouldn't be near the presidency. However he's not Hitler and the constant need many seem to have to draw that comparison tends to lessen their arguments in my opinion, regardless of the context they try and put it in.

There are many other examples of intra-governmental squabbling you could have chose.

SB

Few as well-known (and well-documented), tho.

And I've stated a number of times that Trump isn't Hitler (or even Mussolini) in many ways (tho there are some similarities in others, e.g. administrational disfunction, loose adhesion to facts).

Edit: Possibly also, from my perspective as a historian, I can view Hitler for what he was, in the context of his time, rather than some magnified, demonic figure, an archetype of evil the very likening with whom is damning.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2017 15:40]

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:38 - Feb 19 with 755 viewsNo9

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:32 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

SB

But surely you see the parrallels in his modus operandi?
Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:40 - Feb 19 with 745 viewsJ2BLUE

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:24 - Feb 19 by Ryorry

For only those, you need to select the "football" section ... this is the general discussion area, which may or may not include discussions on football ...

It's the OP not bothering to click the general thread category. Just like he hasn't for his other thread on Trump.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:45 - Feb 19 with 700 viewsgordon

Now Trump is really out of control - press and Americans need to hold this guy.. on 15:40 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

It's the OP not bothering to click the general thread category. Just like he hasn't for his other thread on Trump.

Are you still a Trump fan, by the way?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024