Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Falcon 9 Rocket Landing 22:18 - Feb 19 with 1216 viewsSteve_M

This is stunning:

* Insert obligatory lemmings reference below *

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 07:48 - Feb 20 with 1064 viewsStokieBlue

Watched it live, masterful engineering.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 12:34 - Feb 20 with 1013 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stunning both from the engineering feat and the quality of footage from the drone. That seemed to have gone better than the attempt last year:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 14:32 - Feb 20 with 944 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Saw that. Am I right in thinking the reason behind the technology is so we can land people on Mars?
Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 14:52 - Feb 20 with 912 viewsconnorscontract

Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 14:32 - Feb 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

Saw that. Am I right in thinking the reason behind the technology is so we can land people on Mars?

I think it's mainly so they can make putting satellites into orbit much cheaper, so that they can turn a profit, so that they can develop other projects.
See:

" SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket is meant to launch payloads – such as satellites and cargo – into orbit around Earth and beyond. It's why the rocket's shape is so thin and tall; it creates less drag on the vehicle, allowing it to break free from the atmosphere more easily and go deeper into space. But such a shape also makes it much harder for the rocket to land upright back on Earth. The engines on the bottom of the rocket help to orient it vertically during descent, but it's almost like dropping a lead pipe from the roof and having it land on its end. The rocket is prone to tilt and fall over."

here: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/24/9793220/blue-origin-vs-spacex-rocket-landing-
Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 14:54 - Feb 20 with 909 viewsDeano69

Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 14:32 - Feb 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

Bloody Earthlings, landing on Mars, taking Martian jobs and houses

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Falcon 9 Rocket Landing on 15:25 - Feb 20 with 872 viewsMeadowlark

Bet they just reversed the take off video!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024