Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Having a watery eye moment... 18:02 - Feb 20 with 1512 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....radio 4's Steve Hewlett who had been very open about his cancer on P.M. every week died this morning. He was 58, I suspect our world is toxic !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:04 - Feb 20 with 1474 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yes just seen that on Sky News where he appeared quite a lot. He was always very informative.

Very sad.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:05 - Feb 20 with 1478 viewspowinswitch

I have followed his story through his interviews with Eddie Mair. Courageous, educational and very frank. Rest in peace Steve.
Having a watery eye moment... on 18:05 - Feb 20 with 1500 viewsBenters

Some on here would say he wore his Cancer as a badge of honour ? Plenty did me Saturday afternoon .. i dont forget thats all im going to say .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:12 - Feb 20 with 1448 viewsBluebell

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:05 - Feb 20 by Benters

Some on here would say he wore his Cancer as a badge of honour ? Plenty did me Saturday afternoon .. i dont forget thats all im going to say .

I missed that Benters. I can't believe posters would say that and be so uncaring.

I hope Phil had a word with them!
Having a watery eye moment... on 18:14 - Feb 20 with 1427 viewsGlasgowBlue

Really? That's not nice.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:15 - Feb 20 with 1429 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:05 - Feb 20 by powinswitch

I have followed his story through his interviews with Eddie Mair. Courageous, educational and very frank. Rest in peace Steve.

He often had me laughing out loud as I drove back home from work, his account of his hospital wedding....... "it definitely happened, I've seen the pictures !"....... had me in stitches/tears all the way home.

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:38 - Feb 20 with 1349 viewsfactual_blue

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:12 - Feb 20 by Bluebell

I missed that Benters. I can't believe posters would say that and be so uncaring.

I hope Phil had a word with them!

Real fans are at the game, eh?

Benters is funny.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:42 - Feb 20 with 1337 viewsFreddy

Very sad
Login to get fewer ads

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:47 - Feb 20 with 1333 viewsIP12

Having a watery eye moment... on 18:05 - Feb 20 by powinswitch

I can only echo that. Listening to two grown up men talking about a subject that us 'mere mortals' avoid like the plague was the possibly the greatest radio that you will ever listen to. Large dose of 'grit in eye' moment.....
Having a watery eye moment... on 18:55 - Feb 20 with 1308 viewsTollycobbold

There are a number on here as well. Not least Joe. Give him lots of love.
Having a watery eye moment... on 19:03 - Feb 20 with 1314 viewsJoeSoap

Not sure he did wear it as a badge of honour, he seemed to me to just want to convey the experience in his natural journalistic way, his way of dealing with it.
His position was that there is no such thing as a brave fight against cancer, which is true, it's all about how you choose to face it.
My cancer will kill me eventually, hopefully not for a while yet, if that's a badge of honour I'd rather not have it, but as Mr Hewlett also said "luck, chance, fate, it's nothing more, nothing less."

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

Having a watery eye moment... on 19:06 - Feb 20 with 1257 viewshampstead_blue

I listened to him each week.

I share your water eye moment.

He was inspirational.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Having a watery eye moment... on 19:11 - Feb 20 with 1236 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Having a watery eye moment... on 19:03 - Feb 20 by JoeSoap

Not sure he did wear it as a badge of honour, he seemed to me to just want to convey the experience in his natural journalistic way, his way of dealing with it.
His position was that there is no such thing as a brave fight against cancer, which is true, it's all about how you choose to face it.
My cancer will kill me eventually, hopefully not for a while yet, if that's a badge of honour I'd rather not have it, but as Mr Hewlett also said "luck, chance, fate, it's nothing more, nothing less."

Nick Robinson expresses similar thoughts here...
https://m.facebook.com/NickRobinsonBBC/posts/1252176261518796

Having a watery eye moment... on 20:31 - Feb 20 with 1125 viewsnshearman1

Having a watery eye moment... on 19:06 - Feb 20 by hampstead_blue

I listened to him each week.

I share your water eye moment.

He was inspirational.

I worked with him years ago. Incisive, brilliant, argumentative and unforgettable. RIP Mr Grumpy.
Having a watery eye moment... on 21:01 - Feb 20 with 1085 viewsSeablu

not the full story though is it? you behaved like a wa*ker towards someone who had just admitted to a mental illness. you reap what you sow & you're a bad egg. don't ever compare yourself to the brave, kind & understanding people mentioned in this thread.
Having a watery eye moment... on 21:31 - Feb 20 with 1020 viewsBorisOrTrevor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tjkcr#play

Wasn't really familiar with his work but just spent 20 mins listening to this. Well worth it if you have the time.

Its a summation of his Eddie Mair chats. He has the kind of manner I could listen to all day.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2017 21:36]

BOT

Having a watery eye moment... on 09:11 - Feb 21 with 881 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Having a watery eye moment... on 21:31 - Feb 20 by BorisOrTrevor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tjkcr#play

Wasn't really familiar with his work but just spent 20 mins listening to this. Well worth it if you have the time.

Its a summation of his Eddie Mair chats. He has the kind of manner I could listen to all day.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2017 21:36]

Cancer is cruel and unforgiving. Sadly, it can discriminate and can take people of any age regardless.

My Nan luckily survived bowel cancer and the doctor/surgeons at Ipswich Hospital were amazing. I owe them a huge debt of gratitude and thanks as it has given my family another 10. 15 possibly 20 years longer with my Nan.

I donate regularly to Cancer Research UK and I am regularly in tears when I see the adverts and think why do people have to go through this.
Having a watery eye moment... on 10:44 - Feb 21 with 820 viewsMullet

I caught this too, having only heard maybe 3 or 4 previous pieces in passing with him it took me 20 seconds to click on exactly.

Thought it was another example of the bravery of the man and the BBC for providing something so bittersweet but wonderful over the past few months.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024