Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... 06:33 - Feb 22 with 6296 viewsportmanking

We had to bid farewell to our first and only family dog yesterday evening. All happened so sudden, he had an exploded disc in his back on Monday morning which left his back two legs virtually paralysed.

He's been an absolute rock for my dear old Mum, as she lives alone (my father's in a nursing home) and is going to leave a huge crater in our lives for some time to come.

It is natural to feel this way, right? I know it's only a dog (King Charles Spaniel), but he was such a personality and we treated him as one of our own.

Sleep tight Ollie x
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:55 - Feb 22 with 1920 viewsRyorry

As others have said, it's perfectly natural to feel as you do, they aren't "just dogs", they are family members and esp if you live on your own, they *are* actually your most immediate family, so I feel for your mother especially.

Run free over the rainbow bridge, Ollie.

I found this comforting when my "Old Brown Dog" (Ralph MacTell) passed away a few years ago -

http://thedogplanet.com/why-dogs-never-actually-die-this-guy-nails-it/

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:55 - Feb 22 with 1919 viewsLord_Lucan

Yes, I know exactly what you are going through. It is utterly terrible.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 11:06 - Feb 22 with 1900 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:33 - Feb 22 by DebsyAngel

Never says "it's only a dog" - I had some say that when we lost our beloved Penny. She had been with us 14 years and was a part of the family. Still miss her, even though it's been 10 years she's gone.

So sorry for your loss. Hugs to you xx

I never meant it’s only a dog, I think 10% of my ‘macho’ brain was telling me that I was being too soft, but I can’t help it! To have given an animal as much love as a human and have him taken away so suddenly is just heart-breaking.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 11:12 - Feb 22 with 1897 viewsfactual_blue

Sorry to read that. We had something similar with our cat in terms if the sudden paralysis, although it was a slow growing tumour on his spine for our cat.

Never feel bad about grieving for the loss of a pet.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 11:22 - Feb 22 with 1880 viewsBluebell

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:50 - Feb 22 by gtsb1966

http://mcphillipsanimalhospital.com/2013/01/24/the-rainbow-bridge-2/

That just made me cry.

It really is lovely.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 11:24 - Feb 22 with 1879 viewsMullet

Still remember when our family dog went, had him since I was about 3 until my late teens at a guess. I had to leave the house as I couldn't watch him suffer and I'm not squeamish in the slightest when it comes to animals.

Any pet should leave a gap and it's not at all odd to feel like you do. Hope your Mum is ok after a few days though.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 11:37 - Feb 22 with 1868 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:50 - Feb 22 by gtsb1966

http://mcphillipsanimalhospital.com/2013/01/24/the-rainbow-bridge-2/

What an incredible poem; I’m not sure I dare share that with my mum, but hopefully she’ll find some kind of solace in the words. Thank you, my friend.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:08 - Feb 22 with 1842 viewsgtsb1966

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 11:37 - Feb 22 by portmanking

What an incredible poem; I’m not sure I dare share that with my mum, but hopefully she’ll find some kind of solace in the words. Thank you, my friend.

When I lost my dog a friend said read The Rainbow Bridge. He said it will make you cry but also make you feel how good life was for both of you when my dog was alive. He was right, I cried like a baby but felt so grateful I'd had that dog.
Login to get fewer ads

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:16 - Feb 22 with 1823 viewsoldbluestu

Get yourself over to a dog rescue home like Battersea Dogs home or the dogs trust they always struggle to find homes for older dogs. The beauty of getting an older dog is they settle quicker and happy to spend most of their time indoors and it will be a good companion. Plus helps her/you move on
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:26 - Feb 22 with 1791 viewsjeera

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 08:17 - Feb 22 by portmanking

Thanks Jeera,

It is especially devastating for my mum as he's been her saving grace since my dad had to move into a nursing home.

But as an only child myself he was like a brother I never had, if that sounds silly.

You can have my brother if you like.

He's hard work.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:27 - Feb 22 with 1788 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:16 - Feb 22 by oldbluestu

Get yourself over to a dog rescue home like Battersea Dogs home or the dogs trust they always struggle to find homes for older dogs. The beauty of getting an older dog is they settle quicker and happy to spend most of their time indoors and it will be a good companion. Plus helps her/you move on

I think it’s all far too raw still for my mum to even consider the prospect of having another dog. She’s adamant currently that she won’t have another as Ollie’s just been the perfect companion. Maybe over time she’ll feel differently, but I’m somewhat sceptical at present.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:37 - Feb 22 with 1758 viewschristiand

A dog seems to become another member of the family and are treated that way, they have their own personality and moods. I'm not a dog owner personally, but I have grown up with them as my mum, brother and sister all have their own dogs. I completely understand how you feel Portmanking and your mum during this difficult time. From your description of the dog's condition you've done the right thing, as you have to think about the quality of life he was going to have after the operation?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:44 - Feb 22 with 1747 viewsgtsb1966

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:27 - Feb 22 by portmanking

I think it’s all far too raw still for my mum to even consider the prospect of having another dog. She’s adamant currently that she won’t have another as Ollie’s just been the perfect companion. Maybe over time she’ll feel differently, but I’m somewhat sceptical at present.

I can understand that. We are all different. I got myself a rescue dog exactly one week after my beloved dog died. I didn't look at it as a replacement but more as a duty as my previous dog had given me so much love I thought that in her memory I should give something back. A year after that I rescued another dog so that the first one had a companion. Every day I walk between 3 and 5 miles through the countryside with those dogs. All three of us love it and it keeps me fit. The bond we have is incredible. If you do get another try and do as suggested and rescue one. They deserve a second chance. For now though just remember the good times and also remember how good you made that dogs life.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:58 - Feb 22 with 1724 viewshorsehollerer

If losing a pet doesn't feel like this, then you didn't do ownership right. (Clearly you and your family did.)

Sorry for your loss. Like many others on here, I know what you are going through - I took my sick cat of 19 years to the vet 6 months ago and only one of us made it home again. It's the worst.

It won't seem like it right now, but it doesn't take as long as you'd think for the fantastic memories to start outweighing the sadness.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 13:14 - Feb 22 with 1696 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:27 - Feb 22 by portmanking

I know how your mum feels.

Me and missus lost our first dog we had as a couple 18 months ago, we had dogs before but it really hit us hard, Our dog was only 8, strong as an ox and one day the missus just took her for a walk let her off the lead and she just collapsed and died on the spot. we were both heartbroken.

But we made the choice to wait a few months which we did and have been blessed with another amazing dog, it doesn't feel like we were replacing our first dog and truth be told we probably would do it sooner next time.

But your mum will have another one, trust me.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 13:54 - Feb 22 with 1665 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:44 - Feb 22 by gtsb1966

I can understand that. We are all different. I got myself a rescue dog exactly one week after my beloved dog died. I didn't look at it as a replacement but more as a duty as my previous dog had given me so much love I thought that in her memory I should give something back. A year after that I rescued another dog so that the first one had a companion. Every day I walk between 3 and 5 miles through the countryside with those dogs. All three of us love it and it keeps me fit. The bond we have is incredible. If you do get another try and do as suggested and rescue one. They deserve a second chance. For now though just remember the good times and also remember how good you made that dogs life.

My first dog was with us from a few months before I was born and died when I was 14/15. My mum swore she'd never get another dog as that day was so awful.

A couple of years later we got a boy puppy.

We feel as though it's what our beloved Tigger would have wanted - someone to look after us like she did all those years.

As i said earlier in the thread, know how you feel OP. The fact you are so sad about it immediately shows that you did it right. All the best

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 14:04 - Feb 22 with 1652 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:37 - Feb 22 by christiand

A dog seems to become another member of the family and are treated that way, they have their own personality and moods. I'm not a dog owner personally, but I have grown up with them as my mum, brother and sister all have their own dogs. I completely understand how you feel Portmanking and your mum during this difficult time. From your description of the dog's condition you've done the right thing, as you have to think about the quality of life he was going to have after the operation?

Yeah we definitely have done the right thing. The poor boy had developed diabetes in the last 6 months too, so the vet wasn't prepared to operate on him anyway. It was either put him to rest or keep him alive bed-bound and that's no life for any dog.

Just have waves of emotion now and again, didn't realise quite how much he meant to me, the little sod.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 14:34 - Feb 22 with 1632 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 14:04 - Feb 22 by portmanking

Yeah we definitely have done the right thing. The poor boy had developed diabetes in the last 6 months too, so the vet wasn't prepared to operate on him anyway. It was either put him to rest or keep him alive bed-bound and that's no life for any dog.

Just have waves of emotion now and again, didn't realise quite how much he meant to me, the little sod.

Its amazing the impact they have on your life, we always make sure our holidays are in this country so she came come along, always with nearby beaches or fantastic walks.

Nothing beats walking in from a sh1t day at work, being met by a dog mentally wagging its tail wanting you to play.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 14:42 - Feb 22 with 1621 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Best wishes to you mate. It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 14:51 - Feb 22 with 1608 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Sorry to hear that mate, it really is awful not being able to communicate to them how much you love them, or explain what is happening.

I was in Sheffield when our family dog was put down, and I cried my eyes out all day and watched Homeward Bound. Her final act was taking a poo over my sister which did make me laugh.

Even writing this I am getting a bit teary eyed. Good luck.

Poll: Best Football Song

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:12 - Feb 22 with 1585 viewsLord_Lucan

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 14:51 - Feb 22 by RoyKeanesDog

Sorry to hear that mate, it really is awful not being able to communicate to them how much you love them, or explain what is happening.

I was in Sheffield when our family dog was put down, and I cried my eyes out all day and watched Homeward Bound. Her final act was taking a poo over my sister which did make me laugh.

Even writing this I am getting a bit teary eyed. Good luck.

It was over Mother so it was all more the more sweet.

Terrible night and day all round. If I have one word of advice it is to get the vet round to the house to give them the needle, well worth the extra.

Terrible terrible.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:17 - Feb 22 with 1568 viewsjeera

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:12 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

It was over Mother so it was all more the more sweet.

Terrible night and day all round. If I have one word of advice it is to get the vet round to the house to give them the needle, well worth the extra.

Terrible terrible.

I got the vet round as I knew I wouldn't be able to drive after.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:27 - Feb 22 with 1556 viewsLuk38644

Really sorry to hear that portmanking.

We lost our 12 year old Dalmation a couple of years ago and it was very tough to let her go and make the decision. She had back leg problems too, but hers was a slow deterioration over a period of months, but when she lost ability to walk about at all, we had to let her go. At first, we were obviously upset and gutted, but as time goes on, you think back to memories you have and have a smile about them. I often think about how she unwrapped and ate my Dad's whole Toblerone he got for Christmas one year.

The thing I always say to comfort my Mum when they go is that they had a great life while they were here and they don't know they're gone, they spent their life with you and the last thing they saw was you. That comforts me knowing that we gave them a great life. We have a 5year old rescue cocker spaniel and have done for the past two and a half years and seeing him go from a frightened and aggressive dog to a happy, playful and loving companion is an absolute joy.

Again, sorry for your loss and remember that they had a great life.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:28 - Feb 22 with 1546 viewsLord_Lucan

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:17 - Feb 22 by jeera

I got the vet round as I knew I wouldn't be able to drive after.

Our dog was petrified of the vet so it was a no brainer. I think it was one of the worse days of my life, poor old mutt went doolally the previous evening (dementia sort of thing) and the Mrs and I took it it in turns to stay up with her to comfort her. Even the son in law cried when the needle went in and he hadn't known her all that long, I wept like a big jessie.

Absolutely awful.

I got a rescue dog within two days and it attacked a young family friend, had to take the thing back to Devon. It was a bad week.

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:37 - Feb 22 with 1521 viewstiptreeblue

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 08:57 - Feb 22 by Bluebell

So sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel as will any dog owner.

Unfortunately when you get a dog you know you are most likely going to outlive them as they will only have a lifespan of 13/14 years if they remain healthy. But for those years you will have a wonderful companion.

A dog will never question your loyalty, will always be waiting at the door for you when you get home (even if you have only been out for 10 minutes), they will listen to your problems without complaining and be a comfort when you are upset.

It's no wonder people love them like they do a child. They are an important part of the family. Losing them is devastating and you will never forget him but in time you will remember him, and the good times you had with him, with a smile on your face.

cats are the same as well we have four at the moment, and Alfie is always waiting for me when i get home, i have to sit down and give her a cuddle, my wife has had to take the last two to the vets as i break down and can`t do it, (i know i know) and i think about them every single day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024