Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... 06:33 - Feb 22 with 6291 viewsportmanking

We had to bid farewell to our first and only family dog yesterday evening. All happened so sudden, he had an exploded disc in his back on Monday morning which left his back two legs virtually paralysed.

He's been an absolute rock for my dear old Mum, as she lives alone (my father's in a nursing home) and is going to leave a huge crater in our lives for some time to come.

It is natural to feel this way, right? I know it's only a dog (King Charles Spaniel), but he was such a personality and we treated him as one of our own.

Sleep tight Ollie x
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:42 - Feb 22 with 2813 viewspeterleeblue

I feel your pain.
I had to put my 12 year old Springer Spaniel to sleep 4 weeks ago. I still go out for my morning walk almost as a tribute to the great times we shared.
I don't know if it will help you but we loaded all the dogs photos on a digital photo frame and when we are in we leave the frame on. Sometimes it provokes sadness but as time elapses me and the wife smile at the great memories.

It's a gut wrencher mate it really is. All the best. PB
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:43 - Feb 22 with 2802 viewsTLA

Really sorry to hear that. I think pets, and dogs in particular, become such a huge part of our lives that it is natural and understandable to grieve for them when they leave us.

I have no shame in saying I've cried my eyes out when I've lost pets, both as a kid and probably even more so as an adult.

Spaniels are such beautiful dogs and, again, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:49 - Feb 22 with 2779 viewsBenters

No of course not its a family member a pet.

I prefer animals to people to be honest .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:51 - Feb 22 with 2777 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Know that feeling bud. Absolutely awful.

Feel for you

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:54 - Feb 22 with 2753 viewsTLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:49 - Feb 22 by Benters

No of course not its a family member a pet.

I prefer animals to people to be honest .

I know what you mean Benters. I do generally like people but animals provide a loyalty that can't be guaranteed in our human relationships.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:59 - Feb 22 with 2732 viewsportmanking

Thanks guys for your kind words.

He certainly was the most kind-hearted and beautiful little dog. As you say, he offered complete companionship and loyalty that's often hard to find in a human.

Can't help reliving that moment when the needle goes in; just a feeling of utter helplessness. But we both knew the time was right to let him rest, he couldn't have recovered and been the dog he was.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:06 - Feb 22 with 2711 viewsdavblue

Yeah it's horrible.

I had to have my dads dog put to sleep 2 years ago, he was 4 years old but suddenly started getting aggressive really randomly when he was asleep curling his lip when you went in his vicinity.

He'd been asleep by my dad on the floor and dad went to go to the toilet and came back and attacked him ripping his hand open.

This is strange to say but 99% of the time he was the most loving dog, loved attention all the time and was as good as gold but just flipped a few times.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:15 - Feb 22 with 2684 viewsTLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:59 - Feb 22 by portmanking

Thanks guys for your kind words.

He certainly was the most kind-hearted and beautiful little dog. As you say, he offered complete companionship and loyalty that's often hard to find in a human.

Can't help reliving that moment when the needle goes in; just a feeling of utter helplessness. But we both knew the time was right to let him rest, he couldn't have recovered and been the dog he was.

I've had to make a few of those trips to the vet when you know that only one of you is going home again. The last time was with a gorgeous little cat who had cancer and it was late at night with the emergency vet. I had to perform the nurse duty or we would have had to wait until the morning, which seemed unfair. It was so hard and I could barely drive home because of the tears.

However, as you said, you know when the time is right and that it's the kindest decision to make. I think the good memories quickly replace the grief, although you don't stop missing a friend - 12 years is a long time to be together.
Login to get fewer ads

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:18 - Feb 22 with 2663 viewsBenters

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:54 - Feb 22 by TLA

I know what you mean Benters. I do generally like people but animals provide a loyalty that can't be guaranteed in our human relationships.

Indeed fancy a pint sometime ?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:24 - Feb 22 with 2648 viewsTLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:18 - Feb 22 by Benters

Indeed fancy a pint sometime ?

Yeah, a nice pint in Great Bentley sometime would be very nice!
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:25 - Feb 22 with 2647 viewsjeera

No such thing as only a dog.

Sorry to hear about Ollie. It's heartbreaking to lose them.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 08:17 - Feb 22 with 2554 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:25 - Feb 22 by jeera

No such thing as only a dog.

Sorry to hear about Ollie. It's heartbreaking to lose them.

Thanks Jeera,

It is especially devastating for my mum as he's been her saving grace since my dad had to move into a nursing home.

But as an only child myself he was like a brother I never had, if that sounds silly.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 08:39 - Feb 22 with 2517 viewsFixed_It

Perfectly natural. I feel your pain - and no matter how many dogs you have it's still hard when it is time to say goodbye. They have far more loyalty and devotion than people generally.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 08:52 - Feb 22 with 2467 viewsbahri

Dog are the most incredible and loyal animals. I am never without one , in fact I have three.
Maybe wait a little while and get another.

redandella

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 08:57 - Feb 22 with 2455 viewsBluebell

So sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel as will any dog owner.

Unfortunately when you get a dog you know you are most likely going to outlive them as they will only have a lifespan of 13/14 years if they remain healthy. But for those years you will have a wonderful companion.

A dog will never question your loyalty, will always be waiting at the door for you when you get home (even if you have only been out for 10 minutes), they will listen to your problems without complaining and be a comfort when you are upset.

It's no wonder people love them like they do a child. They are an important part of the family. Losing them is devastating and you will never forget him but in time you will remember him, and the good times you had with him, with a smile on your face.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:12 - Feb 22 with 2400 viewsgerard1947

I know how you feel, it's so so hard. Ollie will always be in your heart.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:20 - Feb 22 with 2379 viewsSwailsey

Very sorry to hear that. I don't think anyone can ever truly know the relationship you have with an individual pet and it's always very, very sad when they pass.

The death of my parent's most recent dog (black lab - she was put down at 4 because of severe epilepsy) has left a real hole in their lives.

I myself had 2 pet rats who lived with me when I first moved out - they were house rats, litter trained, came when their names were called, slept on my shoulder etc - and when I had to put them down it left me really low for a long time. I ended up getting a tattoo in tribute to them, such was the impact they had on me.

Once again, I'm very sorry for your loss and as Benters says, often animals are more consistent companions than other people.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:32 - Feb 22 with 2341 viewsTLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:20 - Feb 22 by Swailsey

Very sorry to hear that. I don't think anyone can ever truly know the relationship you have with an individual pet and it's always very, very sad when they pass.

The death of my parent's most recent dog (black lab - she was put down at 4 because of severe epilepsy) has left a real hole in their lives.

I myself had 2 pet rats who lived with me when I first moved out - they were house rats, litter trained, came when their names were called, slept on my shoulder etc - and when I had to put them down it left me really low for a long time. I ended up getting a tattoo in tribute to them, such was the impact they had on me.

Once again, I'm very sorry for your loss and as Benters says, often animals are more consistent companions than other people.

I once had three rats - I took them in after them after a friend bought them for her young daughter, who soon got bored of them. They are wonderful animals and I adored them. I used to walk around with all three on my shoulders and it was lovely. They have a very short lifespan though, which is why I chose not to replace them when we lost them.

We currently have cats and tortoises. It's quite strange having pets (tortoises) that will almost certainly outlive me and my wife!

I currently have three cats on my sofa, doing their best to prevent me from working (as is TWTDs)!.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:44 - Feb 22 with 2326 viewsSwailsey

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:32 - Feb 22 by TLA

I once had three rats - I took them in after them after a friend bought them for her young daughter, who soon got bored of them. They are wonderful animals and I adored them. I used to walk around with all three on my shoulders and it was lovely. They have a very short lifespan though, which is why I chose not to replace them when we lost them.

We currently have cats and tortoises. It's quite strange having pets (tortoises) that will almost certainly outlive me and my wife!

I currently have three cats on my sofa, doing their best to prevent me from working (as is TWTDs)!.

Ha!

The short life span is exactly the reason I never got any more either - they're such a misunderstood animal - if people can look past the tails, they're so wonderful!

My mum does have a tortoise now (a rescue from RSPCA), but it's not quite the same as a dog heh.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:53 - Feb 22 with 2307 viewsportmanking

Thanks so much to all for their kind and prophetic words. It is of huge comfort to know that I’m not alone in feeling this way. I think we’re still in shock today, really. I don’t expect it’ll truly hit home for a few more days. All of his things are strewn around the house, we don’t have the heart to touch them right now...
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:57 - Feb 22 with 2291 viewsTLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:44 - Feb 22 by Swailsey

Ha!

The short life span is exactly the reason I never got any more either - they're such a misunderstood animal - if people can look past the tails, they're so wonderful!

My mum does have a tortoise now (a rescue from RSPCA), but it's not quite the same as a dog heh.

It really is the tails that people struggle with! I think rats are also harder work to look after than people realise but they are so worthwhile. I really struggle not to get more, in spite of the lifespan.

Tortoises are fascinating but they really don't compare with dogs, cats, rats etc. as companions, especially in the winter. At this time of year I'm just jealous that I can't sleep for 3 months!
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:30 - Feb 22 with 2235 viewsNo9

I really do feel for you
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:33 - Feb 22 with 2231 viewsDebsyAngel

Never says "it's only a dog" - I had some say that when we lost our beloved Penny. She had been with us 14 years and was a part of the family. Still miss her, even though it's been 10 years she's gone.

So sorry for your loss. Hugs to you xx
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:50 - Feb 22 with 2181 viewsgtsb1966

http://mcphillipsanimalhospital.com/2013/01/24/the-rainbow-bridge-2/
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:54 - Feb 22 with 2161 viewscruncher

we have Cavies mate i can only say time heals we lost two in the last three years but time heals damn we went on to replace them and we care as much for them now as we did the two we lost.
chin up
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024