Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... 06:33 - Feb 22 with 6287 viewsportmanking

We had to bid farewell to our first and only family dog yesterday evening. All happened so sudden, he had an exploded disc in his back on Monday morning which left his back two legs virtually paralysed.

He's been an absolute rock for my dear old Mum, as she lives alone (my father's in a nursing home) and is going to leave a huge crater in our lives for some time to come.

It is natural to feel this way, right? I know it's only a dog (King Charles Spaniel), but he was such a personality and we treated him as one of our own.

Sleep tight Ollie x
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:43 - Feb 22 with 1503 viewsjeera

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:28 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

Our dog was petrified of the vet so it was a no brainer. I think it was one of the worse days of my life, poor old mutt went doolally the previous evening (dementia sort of thing) and the Mrs and I took it it in turns to stay up with her to comfort her. Even the son in law cried when the needle went in and he hadn't known her all that long, I wept like a big jessie.

Absolutely awful.

I got a rescue dog within two days and it attacked a young family friend, had to take the thing back to Devon. It was a bad week.

Even reading people's experiences on the thread brings it back doesn't it.

I met my eldest dog when I was in my 20s and she had to be put to sleep when I was in my 40s.

Over 16 years together and I'd give anything to spend just another day with her.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:56 - Feb 22 with 1468 viewsTLA

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:37 - Feb 22 by tiptreeblue

cats are the same as well we have four at the moment, and Alfie is always waiting for me when i get home, i have to sit down and give her a cuddle, my wife has had to take the last two to the vets as i break down and can`t do it, (i know i know) and i think about them every single day

We have four cats too - luckily, three are young and very healthy but one is 16 and has a few problems. He demands that I pick him up and walk around with him every evening! We know that at some point that trip will have to be made. I have always been able to hold it together in the vets, only to turn into a blubbering mess when I get back to the car. There's absolutely no shame in that - we spend a long time with animals in our lives and they become hugely important.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 16:00 - Feb 22 with 1478 viewsReuser_is_God

I'd never understood why people got so attached to pets but when I got a dog about 18 months ago I realised within 10 minutes of having her.

I talk to her more than I do my missus now.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 16:01 - Feb 22 with 1468 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:43 - Feb 22 by jeera

Even reading people's experiences on the thread brings it back doesn't it.

I met my eldest dog when I was in my 20s and she had to be put to sleep when I was in my 40s.

Over 16 years together and I'd give anything to spend just another day with her.

When Lucan first bought the dog in question home (Burley) I was about 7 years old, and could hardly remember life without it.

She had so much character and wouldn't harm a fly. Even my friends were devastated when I told them the bad news.

Since then we have had 3 dogs of the same breed. The rescue dog who had a terrible upbringing which meant he wasn't able to be kept when there was a risk that he could get near a child. We have two now- one which is good as gold but just sleeps all day, and another which has got a lot of character but is a b4stard to other dogs.

I think Lucan will agree that no dog will replace Burley, who incidentally was acquired from Julian Dicks.

Poll: Best Football Song

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 16:03 - Feb 22 with 1457 viewsLord_Lucan

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 16:00 - Feb 22 by Reuser_is_God

I'd never understood why people got so attached to pets but when I got a dog about 18 months ago I realised within 10 minutes of having her.

I talk to her more than I do my missus now.

I kiss mine more than I do my Mrs.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 16:05 - Feb 22 with 1453 viewshype313

Painful Painful time, I lost two Boxers and it was gut wrenching.

The only consolation is, in time you will remember your dog with such fond memories and only remember the stupid things they used to do.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 16:29 - Feb 22 with 1415 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 15:27 - Feb 22 by Luk38644

Really sorry to hear that portmanking.

We lost our 12 year old Dalmation a couple of years ago and it was very tough to let her go and make the decision. She had back leg problems too, but hers was a slow deterioration over a period of months, but when she lost ability to walk about at all, we had to let her go. At first, we were obviously upset and gutted, but as time goes on, you think back to memories you have and have a smile about them. I often think about how she unwrapped and ate my Dad's whole Toblerone he got for Christmas one year.

The thing I always say to comfort my Mum when they go is that they had a great life while they were here and they don't know they're gone, they spent their life with you and the last thing they saw was you. That comforts me knowing that we gave them a great life. We have a 5year old rescue cocker spaniel and have done for the past two and a half years and seeing him go from a frightened and aggressive dog to a happy, playful and loving companion is an absolute joy.

Again, sorry for your loss and remember that they had a great life.

Luke, that’s a great post mate, much appreciated. I know it’s important to think about the great times we’ve shared and given him, but he’ll leave a gaping hole in our lives of that there’s no doubt.

Thanks so much for all your messages today. They’ve been of great comfort and it only reaffirms just why TWTD is such an excellent community.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 17:12 - Feb 22 with 1383 viewsRyorry

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 12:27 - Feb 22 by portmanking

I think it’s all far too raw still for my mum to even consider the prospect of having another dog. She’s adamant currently that she won’t have another as Ollie’s just been the perfect companion. Maybe over time she’ll feel differently, but I’m somewhat sceptical at present.

If she feels up to it after a while and is able to, many dog shelters/rescue centres really appreciate volunteer dog walkers. It's a great thing for the mutts in giving them some individual attention, as well as obviously their getting outa jail for some physical exercise; and can be v. positive for the human walkers too :)

All the best to you, & your Mum & Dad.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 17:19 - Feb 22 with 1375 viewsNorthstaNder

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:54 - Feb 22 by cruncher

we have Cavies mate i can only say time heals we lost two in the last three years but time heals damn we went on to replace them and we care as much for them now as we did the two we lost.
chin up

Not owned a dog since I was young, but I remember being gutted for weeks when she had to go.

Pets and especially Dogs always have a special place in our hearts so I'd say it's normal to feel the way you do. You've effectively lost a family member and will need to grieve. Heck, my wife cried when our hamster died a few years ago!

Now we have fish. Not such a wrench when one dies. Just flush it and get another!
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 17:22 - Feb 22 with 1359 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 17:12 - Feb 22 by Ryorry

If she feels up to it after a while and is able to, many dog shelters/rescue centres really appreciate volunteer dog walkers. It's a great thing for the mutts in giving them some individual attention, as well as obviously their getting outa jail for some physical exercise; and can be v. positive for the human walkers too :)

All the best to you, & your Mum & Dad.

That's a wonderful idea, Ryorry. I'm sure my mum would get a lot out of that. I'll bear that in mind in the coming weeks and months.

Thanks x
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 18:10 - Feb 22 with 1332 viewsnorth_stand77

As you say, pets become family members and it's horrible when something happens to them.
Our little 3 year old cat was hit by a car and died 3 weeks ago. His sister also got run over 14 months ago. They had been abandoned at 2 weeks and we got them from the local vets. We loved them and miss them but don't think we can have anymore as we live on a busy ish country road and don't know if it's fair. They were never suited to be house cats and enjoyed easy access to outside but we know they had very happy, if short lives.

So sorry for you portmanking and understand your families distress but things will get better over time.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2017 19:09]
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 20:47 - Feb 22 with 1277 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 18:10 - Feb 22 by north_stand77

As you say, pets become family members and it's horrible when something happens to them.
Our little 3 year old cat was hit by a car and died 3 weeks ago. His sister also got run over 14 months ago. They had been abandoned at 2 weeks and we got them from the local vets. We loved them and miss them but don't think we can have anymore as we live on a busy ish country road and don't know if it's fair. They were never suited to be house cats and enjoyed easy access to outside but we know they had very happy, if short lives.

So sorry for you portmanking and understand your families distress but things will get better over time.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2017 19:09]

Cheers fella. Appreciate you taking the time out to post that.

I know time is a great healer, we'll never forget him. I think it's more the shock of how sudden he's been taken from us with very little time to get used to the idea.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 21:04 - Feb 22 with 1259 viewspeterleeblue

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 20:47 - Feb 22 by portmanking

Cheers fella. Appreciate you taking the time out to post that.

I know time is a great healer, we'll never forget him. I think it's more the shock of how sudden he's been taken from us with very little time to get used to the idea.

Time will heal, don't rush it though. I cried for the first week or two. I'm actually down in East Anglia for a few days seeing family this week and our digital photo frame with all her snaps on and her box of ashes had to come with us. Felt like we were just leaving her if we didn't bring them. Its tough it really is.
Like I said earlier we still do the walks especially the beach every Saturday morning. God she loved the beach!!! We now love watching all the other dogs enjoying the beach in the same way our Millie did!
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 21:54 - Feb 22 with 1242 viewsAlwaysBlueGirl

I've just seen your post and put two + two together. I work for the practice and knew Ollie well. Your Mum is such a lovely lady. Ollie was such an amazing character and coped so well with his other health problems. Your Mum & I were only remarking a few weeks ago what would Ollie come up with next. Sadly nobody could foreseen this. They leave such a huge gap that is never quite filled and Ollie was such a special boy that everyone at work who met him loved. He will always be in your hearts and the special memories of him will live on forever.

xxxx
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 22:26 - Feb 22 with 1200 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 21:54 - Feb 22 by AlwaysBlueGirl

I've just seen your post and put two + two together. I work for the practice and knew Ollie well. Your Mum is such a lovely lady. Ollie was such an amazing character and coped so well with his other health problems. Your Mum & I were only remarking a few weeks ago what would Ollie come up with next. Sadly nobody could foreseen this. They leave such a huge gap that is never quite filled and Ollie was such a special boy that everyone at work who met him loved. He will always be in your hearts and the special memories of him will live on forever.

xxxx

Wow, goodness me. Can't say I expected anyone to know Ollie! That's incredibly moving and thank you so much for taking the time to find those words. I have read your message to my mum this evening and she too was very touched.

You're quite right that Ollie was such a character, despite his (various!) ailments. But he took them in his stride because he was such a loyal companion to my mum. Life will never quite be the same without him, but I know our lives are richer for him being part of our family.

My mum and I want to thank you all so much at the practice for the love and support you've provided both my mum and Ollie over the years. You're a true credit to your profession.

xxxx
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 04:30 - Feb 23 with 1144 viewsIPS_wich

I think it's one of the only times when I haven't felt a little bit embarrassed to blub like a baby.

We had three cats back in the UK three years ago and lost the oldest (who was 17). I got him a month after finishing Uni and was at that time approaching my 40th birthday - so pretty much my entire adult/working life. He was a beauty and I found myself blubbing for days. The worst thing was, I knew for six weeks that he was at the end, but I couldn't bring myself to take him to the vets as I knew what would happen. I feel so guilty for giving him such a sh*t last few weeks.

Only marginally easier was when we decided a few months later to move to Oz and had to give up our other two cats to a family member. It all came about really quickly, and in the rush I completely forgot to look into what we would need to do to take them with us. When I did look into it, I realised to my horror that it would end up with them being in quarantine for five months about 6 hours drive away from where we were moving to. The oldest of the two (12 years old) struggled with a ten minute drive to the vets/cattery, so the idea of putting him on a plane for 24 hours and then five months in quarantine just wasn't fair on him...and the younger one was devoted to him so I didn't want to separate them. They are both incredibly happy in their new home and my nephews love them, but going from 3 cats to no cats in the space of 4 months was really hard and still makes me tear up. Can't wait until we buy a house over here next year and we can get another couple of pets...because the four goldfish we've got are not really compensating for the loss....
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:43 - Feb 23 with 1134 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 04:30 - Feb 23 by IPS_wich

I think it's one of the only times when I haven't felt a little bit embarrassed to blub like a baby.

We had three cats back in the UK three years ago and lost the oldest (who was 17). I got him a month after finishing Uni and was at that time approaching my 40th birthday - so pretty much my entire adult/working life. He was a beauty and I found myself blubbing for days. The worst thing was, I knew for six weeks that he was at the end, but I couldn't bring myself to take him to the vets as I knew what would happen. I feel so guilty for giving him such a sh*t last few weeks.

Only marginally easier was when we decided a few months later to move to Oz and had to give up our other two cats to a family member. It all came about really quickly, and in the rush I completely forgot to look into what we would need to do to take them with us. When I did look into it, I realised to my horror that it would end up with them being in quarantine for five months about 6 hours drive away from where we were moving to. The oldest of the two (12 years old) struggled with a ten minute drive to the vets/cattery, so the idea of putting him on a plane for 24 hours and then five months in quarantine just wasn't fair on him...and the younger one was devoted to him so I didn't want to separate them. They are both incredibly happy in their new home and my nephews love them, but going from 3 cats to no cats in the space of 4 months was really hard and still makes me tear up. Can't wait until we buy a house over here next year and we can get another couple of pets...because the four goldfish we've got are not really compensating for the loss....

That's okay then, because I sure did blub like a baby.

It's funny how deeply you can connect with a dog emotionally. Ollie had such a way with people, he was treated like a human. He hated anyone feeling upset and would always want to nuzzle in on any cuddles going on. His tail wagged so much I used to worry that it would drop off some day! I truly hope that means he enjoyed every minute with us, because we sure treasured every one with him.
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:57 - Feb 23 with 1125 viewsbluejake78

My wife passed away after an accident my Bluejake is my carpet slipper and my best friend .The cat is OK too but.......
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 07:15 - Feb 23 with 1110 viewsstickymockwell

I also know how you're feeling. I've lost a few in my family over the last few years. One in particular ripped my heart out. They really are mans best friend.
RIP Ollie.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:26 - Feb 23 with 1075 viewsAlwaysBlueGirl

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 06:43 - Feb 23 by portmanking

That's okay then, because I sure did blub like a baby.

It's funny how deeply you can connect with a dog emotionally. Ollie had such a way with people, he was treated like a human. He hated anyone feeling upset and would always want to nuzzle in on any cuddles going on. His tail wagged so much I used to worry that it would drop off some day! I truly hope that means he enjoyed every minute with us, because we sure treasured every one with him.

It's a small world isn't it? Thank you so much for your kind words about the practice - they mean so much. Please tell your Mum that we are all thinking of her (and you too of course). From personal experience I know how particularly hard the mornings are at first. That feeling upon wakening of the sudden realisation afresh that our beloved family member is no longer there to greet us with a lick and a reminder that it's time for breakfast so why are we still in bed. I think one of the things that always struck me about Ollie, and says so much for his character, is that despite his frequent visits to the practice he always trotted in with a wag of his tail happy to see us. You were so fortunate to have had those wonderful years together and he will always be with you.

xxxx
Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 10:25 - Feb 23 with 1042 viewsportmanking

Feeling utterly bereft this morning... on 09:26 - Feb 23 by AlwaysBlueGirl

It's a small world isn't it? Thank you so much for your kind words about the practice - they mean so much. Please tell your Mum that we are all thinking of her (and you too of course). From personal experience I know how particularly hard the mornings are at first. That feeling upon wakening of the sudden realisation afresh that our beloved family member is no longer there to greet us with a lick and a reminder that it's time for breakfast so why are we still in bed. I think one of the things that always struck me about Ollie, and says so much for his character, is that despite his frequent visits to the practice he always trotted in with a wag of his tail happy to see us. You were so fortunate to have had those wonderful years together and he will always be with you.

xxxx

It’s an incredibly small world; it certainly took me aback last night! But I know my mum and I have taken great comfort from your kind words. She is truly heartbroken and like you say, the last couple of mornings have been a real struggle for her to get up and about.

Absolutely agree that Ollie had such a stoical nature. He never once complained about anything or moped. He thoroughly enjoyed his visits to the practice, whether it was for his check-ups or cut and blow dries that I used to roll my eyes about! He was a genuine one-off and gave so much joy to our family during some very dark times.

I’m sure my mum and I will be along to the practice sometime soon to say our thank-you’s properly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024