Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here 08:05 - Feb 22 with 2935 viewsSteve_M

Even if it is in the Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4247018/Bookies-corrupted-seas

He probably doesn't go far enough on the insidious mingling of gambling and televised sport that is made obvious with every tedious ad break.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:09 - Feb 22 with 2894 viewsnrb1985

Hi,

Is it possible you could copy and paste the article to avoid generating more clicks for the Daily Mail?
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:18 - Feb 22 with 2855 viewsbluelagos

Interesting line about the bookies wanting to 10 team accumulator bets...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:25 - Feb 22 with 2832 viewsRadlett_blue

Bit of a long winded way to make a valid point. Yes, the bookmakers love these publicity stunts & some of the gullible public believe them. This one didn't change the integrity of the game, but I can see why the FA might want to make an example of Shaw - they have a track record of severe penalties for small offenders & brushing over wrongdoing by anyone connected with a big club.
However, football's acceptance of the betting industry's stance in terms of sponsors, official betting partners & endless advertisements sits very uneasily with it's stance on footballers placing bets. IMO, if a player puts a bet on games with which he has no involvement, I don't see a problem.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:51 - Feb 22 with 2786 viewsSteve_M

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:25 - Feb 22 by Radlett_blue

Bit of a long winded way to make a valid point. Yes, the bookmakers love these publicity stunts & some of the gullible public believe them. This one didn't change the integrity of the game, but I can see why the FA might want to make an example of Shaw - they have a track record of severe penalties for small offenders & brushing over wrongdoing by anyone connected with a big club.
However, football's acceptance of the betting industry's stance in terms of sponsors, official betting partners & endless advertisements sits very uneasily with it's stance on footballers placing bets. IMO, if a player puts a bet on games with which he has no involvement, I don't see a problem.

Of course it's a bit long winded, It's Martin Samuel with a word count to meet...

It might not have affected the integrity of the game but how much of a stretch is it from that to a deliberate no ball or kicking the ball out for a throw at a certain time, neither of which has a significant impact on the result of the match in question?

I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the way betting is portrayed around sport, a few interest bets won't harm anyone but the bookmakers are desperate to make betting seem integral to the sport - so, yes, the FA needs to rethink it's relationship with the gambling industry and be less desperate for money from absolutely anywhere.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 09:43 - Feb 22 with 2706 viewsRadlett_blue

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:51 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

Of course it's a bit long winded, It's Martin Samuel with a word count to meet...

It might not have affected the integrity of the game but how much of a stretch is it from that to a deliberate no ball or kicking the ball out for a throw at a certain time, neither of which has a significant impact on the result of the match in question?

I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the way betting is portrayed around sport, a few interest bets won't harm anyone but the bookmakers are desperate to make betting seem integral to the sport - so, yes, the FA needs to rethink it's relationship with the gambling industry and be less desperate for money from absolutely anywhere.

Well, betting patterns have changed completely. dog racing has dropped off the radar & horse racing is now less than 20% of turnover. Football betting has mushroomed, hence the bookies are keen to encourage it & naturally see football fans as their core target market.
Yes, I recall some of the early Sky games when West Ham kicked the ball into touch after about 2 seconds so that the players could win a bet. Not a big deal in itself, but definitely a dangerous precedent. There's also been clear evidence of match fixing in the lower leagues.
As with most things, the FA/Premier League have been completely dazzled by money & hence the parade of bookmaker shirt sponsors, official betting partner etc. That doesn't sit well with the Fa's draconian public stance on players betting on the game, but can you really see the FA back-tracking?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 10:16 - Feb 22 with 2648 viewsClausThomsen

It's just been a PR stunt for a bookie company, there's no story here whatsoever.
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 10:42 - Feb 22 with 2600 viewstheblueginger

It's a typical case of the FA expending all their energy on the wrong priorities, whilst being seemingly oblivious to widespread issues throughout the football pyramid.
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 10:52 - Feb 22 with 2580 viewsJ2BLUE

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:09 - Feb 22 by nrb1985

Hi,

Is it possible you could copy and paste the article to avoid generating more clicks for the Daily Mail?

If you want to read their story you should click the link.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 10:57 - Feb 22 with 2571 viewstheblueginger

Surely the moment such a bet was advertised Shaw was somewhat screwed either way though?
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 10:58 - Feb 22 with 2568 viewswillsyt

'Martin Samuels mate couldn't get a tenner on Lincoln to win FA Cup.' Must've gone to the wrong bookie.

'No bookie will lay you 5k.' Again absolute garbage.
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 13:20 - Feb 22 with 2457 viewsyorkshire

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 10:58 - Feb 22 by willsyt

'Martin Samuels mate couldn't get a tenner on Lincoln to win FA Cup.' Must've gone to the wrong bookie.

'No bookie will lay you 5k.' Again absolute garbage.

Yes, this part of the story is utter bollox - plenty of bookmakers out there that would happily take that money (and a lot more)
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 13:56 - Feb 22 with 2408 viewsGlasgowBlue

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:09 - Feb 22 by nrb1985

Hi,

Sad.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 14:05 - Feb 22 with 2378 viewsitfcjoe

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:51 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

There are too many markets now, you should only be able to bet on outcomes and not everything in the match to the nth degree.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 14:11 - Feb 22 with 2348 viewsGlasgowBlue

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 10:52 - Feb 22 by J2BLUE

If you want to read their story you should click the link.

But he may turn into a Brexit loving knuckle dragging racist if he reads something from the Mail.

Iron Lion Zion

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 16:43 - Feb 22 with 2230 viewsnrb1985

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 14:11 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

But he may turn into a Brexit loving knuckle dragging racist if he reads something from the Mail.

I didn't want to say it but you've done it for me. Thank you sir.
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 18:02 - Feb 22 with 2184 viewsSitfcB

Hi,

So someone has to give it an extra click anyway to copy and paste it?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 18:04 - Feb 22 with 2182 viewsGlasgowBlue

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 18:02 - Feb 22 by SitfcB

So someone has to give it an extra click anyway to copy and paste it?

I've clicked it ten times.

Iron Lion Zion

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 20:40 - Feb 22 with 2081 viewsnrb1985

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 18:04 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

I've clicked it ten times.

based on your political opinions I assume you've clicked on the daily mail website more than enough times already.

I suppose you're going to call me an enemy of the people now as well...
Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 20:49 - Feb 22 with 2072 viewsGlasgowBlue

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 20:40 - Feb 22 by nrb1985

based on your political opinions I assume you've clicked on the daily mail website more than enough times already.

I suppose you're going to call me an enemy of the people now as well...

Why would I call you that? And if you base my political opinions on the Daily Mail then you obviously haven't been paying much attention.

But I've clicked it another times because I know it will annoy you.

To paraphrase Evelyn Beatrice Hall: "I do not agree with what the Daily Mail has to say, but I'll defend to the death their right to say it."

Iron Lion Zion

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 08:15 - Feb 23 with 1926 viewsnrb1985

Martin Samuel on Pies and Betting in Sport is worth reading here on 20:49 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

Why would I call you that? And if you base my political opinions on the Daily Mail then you obviously haven't been paying much attention.

But I've clicked it another times because I know it will annoy you.

To paraphrase Evelyn Beatrice Hall: "I do not agree with what the Daily Mail has to say, but I'll defend to the death their right to say it."

Suspect that's where you and I differ - I do not defend anybody's right to fabricate stories designed to spread hate and fear.

Click on it as many times as you like mate - I prefer to occupy my time with more constructive things.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024