Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burning your bridges 14:18 - Feb 22 with 4249 viewsRoyKeanesDog

To any younger, or indeed older posters too, I can not emphasise the value that leaving workplaces on amicable terms has.

Last year I was made redundant from a job after just a couple of months, not due to my performance. The company just had to make cutbacks and it was a case of last in first out. Despite them leaving me jobless I took it well and wished them the best for the future. I didn't have the best of luck since then and have had to job hop from temporary positions to places that closed down.

Finding a new role that ticked all the boxes for me was very difficult, and I came very close to taking something that I wasn't keen on at all. Out of the blue yesterday I got a call back from the original company offering me an improved role as they were in a better position.

That's the 3rd employer in my life that I have gone back to now, and if I was ever in the dogpoo big time, they are 3 employers who I would be able to turn to in order to help me out.

If I could give one piece of advice to people it would be don't burn your bridges.

Poll: Best Football Song

Burning your bridges on 14:20 - Feb 22 with 2459 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good advice.

I often go through old employment records when recruiting.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Burning your bridges on 14:21 - Feb 22 with 2456 viewsitfcjoe

You shouldn't need to tell people that, but totally agree with it. I never burn bridges with anyone or anything work wise as never know when you might need something

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Burning your bridges on 14:27 - Feb 22 with 2412 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Burning your bridges on 14:21 - Feb 22 by itfcjoe

You shouldn't need to tell people that, but totally agree with it. I never burn bridges with anyone or anything work wise as never know when you might need something

When I was young and foolish I wasn't so smart about leaving companies. Funnily enough the business I kicked off about when I left hired me as General Manager a couple of years later, although that was extenuating circumstances.

I'm just glad I didn't tell the bosses to f off last summer when I was made redundant. I took it graciously and even complimented them on how they dealt with the situation.

Burning your bridges on 14:28 - Feb 22 with 2397 viewsGlasgowBlue

It can also work the other way.

About 16 years ago a former employer asked me to review his marketing operation which included a 200 person call centre with a view to cutting costs.

One of the guys I recommended for losing his job was the assistant Marketing Director. We did this very amicably.

About five years later, after I had set up my own business, we had a relationship with a big PLC. My contract with this company was reliant on having a good working relationship with their Marketing Director who it turned out was the bloke I had sacked 5 years previously.

When my company went under in 2011/12 after the PLC withdrew from the UK market he was the first to get me sorted out in a smaller operation.

Iron Lion Zion

Burning your bridges on 14:44 - Feb 22 with 2304 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Burning your bridges on 14:28 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

It can also work the other way.

About 16 years ago a former employer asked me to review his marketing operation which included a 200 person call centre with a view to cutting costs.

One of the guys I recommended for losing his job was the assistant Marketing Director. We did this very amicably.

About five years later, after I had set up my own business, we had a relationship with a big PLC. My contract with this company was reliant on having a good working relationship with their Marketing Director who it turned out was the bloke I had sacked 5 years previously.

When my company went under in 2011/12 after the PLC withdrew from the UK market he was the first to get me sorted out in a smaller operation.

Spot on. It's crazy how time changes circumstances. There have been people who used to work under me that later on held a position where they were above me. They remember how you treated them as a boss, and are likely to return the favour.

Burning your bridges on 14:49 - Feb 22 with 2268 viewsIllinoisblue

Burning your bridges on 14:20 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

Good advice.

I often go through old employment records when recruiting.

curious - in what way are employment records available to review? Surely company A's file on employee Joe Bloggs is confidential and not available to company B?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Burning your bridges on 14:52 - Feb 22 with 2230 viewsLord_Lucan

Burning your bridges on 14:49 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

curious - in what way are employment records available to review? Surely company A's file on employee Joe Bloggs is confidential and not available to company B?

I reckon he is referring to ex employees

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Burning your bridges on 14:53 - Feb 22 with 2213 viewsJakeITFC

Although it did hinder my career in the bridge burning industry.
Login to get fewer ads

Burning your bridges on 14:57 - Feb 22 with 2190 viewsGlasgowBlue

Burning your bridges on 14:49 - Feb 22 by Illinoisblue

As Lucan said, I'm talking about ex employees.

Iron Lion Zion

Burning your bridges on 15:03 - Feb 22 with 2155 viewscatch74

Burning your bridges on 14:57 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

As Lucan said, I'm talking about ex employees.

The last company I worked for got a new payroll system towards the end. You could simply tick do not re-employ (with valid reason) and it would show up if they applied in any of the other 1200 odd pubs they own.

I had a chef leave a 3am in the morning a few months back (no notice.) Someone called me to see if I'd give him a reference last week!!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Burning your bridges on 15:05 - Feb 22 with 2142 viewsDolly2.0

So several places closed down after they employed you? Hmm.

"I came very close to taking something that I wasn't keen on at all."

Yeah, the game's not for everyone

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Burning your bridges on 15:06 - Feb 22 with 2127 viewsLord_Lucan

Burning your bridges on 15:03 - Feb 22 by catch74

The last company I worked for got a new payroll system towards the end. You could simply tick do not re-employ (with valid reason) and it would show up if they applied in any of the other 1200 odd pubs they own.

I had a chef leave a 3am in the morning a few months back (no notice.) Someone called me to see if I'd give him a reference last week!!

Why was you making him cook at 3am you b4stard!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Burning your bridges on 15:10 - Feb 22 with 2111 viewsnbsiyag

Likewise, always be nice to people on your way up - you might meet them again on the way down!
Burning your bridges on 15:13 - Feb 22 with 2071 viewsLord_Lucan

Burning your bridges on 15:05 - Feb 22 by Dolly2.0

Tube backpack w4anker

Burning your bridges on 15:52 - Feb 22 with 1936 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Burning your bridges on 15:05 - Feb 22 by Dolly2.0

One place closed down after employing me part time. That was because of a dispute over a tenancy 18 months before they employed me.

Stick to writing songs about sweets.

Burning your bridges on 15:54 - Feb 22 with 1915 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Burning your bridges on 15:03 - Feb 22 by catch74

I have a funny feeling I know exactly what company that is.

Burning your bridges on 15:55 - Feb 22 with 1905 viewsDolly2.0

Burning your bridges on 15:13 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

Tube backpack w4anker

How else should I carry my stuff, in a wheelie suitcase?!

Burning your bridges on 15:56 - Feb 22 with 1887 viewsDolly2.0

Burning your bridges on 15:52 - Feb 22 by RoyKeanesDog

One place closed down after employing me part time. That was because of a dispute over a tenancy 18 months before they employed me.

Stick to writing songs about sweets.

I've never written a song about a sweet.

Burning your bridges on 15:57 - Feb 22 with 1871 viewsDolly2.0

Burning your bridges on 15:06 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

Why was you making him cook at 3am you b4stard!

Some McDonalds are 24 hours.

Burning your bridges on 16:03 - Feb 22 with 1839 viewsGlasgowBlue

Burning your bridges on 15:55 - Feb 22 by Dolly2.0

How else should I carry my stuff, in a wheelie suitcase?!

You wear a backpack. I fooking hate those. Ignorant fookers forget they have them on in tight spaces.

Iron Lion Zion

Burning your bridges on 16:05 - Feb 22 with 1821 viewshype313

Burning your bridges on 16:03 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

You wear a backpack. I fooking hate those. Ignorant fookers forget they have them on in tight spaces.

I'd put money on the fact that Dollers still sports a bumbag.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Burning your bridges on 16:07 - Feb 22 with 1812 viewsLord_Lucan

Burning your bridges on 16:03 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

He wears it on the tube. He downvoted my "Things that should be banned" post about backpacks on the tube.

Dolly; wear it until you get on the tube and then take it off while you are on it, thus not getting on everyones t1ts.

Burning your bridges on 16:10 - Feb 22 with 1785 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Good advice in life in general. Even if you don't really like someone.
Burning your bridges on 16:12 - Feb 22 with 1773 viewsSomethingBlue

Yes, good advice. Knowing when to leave can also be a good skill, too.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Burning your bridges on 16:16 - Feb 22 with 1756 viewsGlasgowBlue

Burning your bridges on 16:07 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

He wears it on the tube. He downvoted my "Things that should be banned" post about backpacks on the tube.

Dolly; wear it until you get on the tube and then take it off while you are on it, thus not getting on everyones t1ts.

I used to hate people wearing those things in HMV. I'd be browsing through the racks and find myself getting hit in the back with one.

I used to show these fookers my displeasure in no uncertain terms.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024