Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"and one for you" 16:27 - Feb 22 with 1031 viewsartsbossbeard

Greetings from Newcastle. Sunny but windy presently.

Out last night with a scouse work mate, he's alright actually, however, he got a round in and exclaimed to the barmaid "and one for you" or something similar. Apparently, in Liverpool this entitles the bar person to have 50p of the change. It meant nothing to the others in the round or the Geordie barmaid yet he looked at everyone as if we were mad.

Anyone heard of this weird business before?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

"and one for you" on 16:29 - Feb 22 with 1001 viewsMullet

50p? Is your mate from 1982?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

"and one for you" on 16:31 - Feb 22 with 989 viewsjeera

If somebody said that to me I'd assume they meant a pint.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

"and one for you" on 16:31 - Feb 22 with 988 viewsartsbossbeard

"and one for you" on 16:29 - Feb 22 by Mullet

50p? Is your mate from 1982?

He doesn't get out much. Is this actually a thing then?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

"and one for you" on 16:32 - Feb 22 with 979 viewsLord_Lucan

No, of course not. The bloke seems a div.

At the very least he should realise that even if in some daft part of Liverpool in means 50p, it doesn't necessarily mean the same in other parts of the country.

I knew a scouser that called cigarettes smirgals, I wouldn't go to a shop in Ipswich and ask for a pack of smirgals though.

The note was probably counterfeit anyway.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"and one for you" on 16:33 - Feb 22 with 965 viewsJuggsy

Sounds about the same as in the military, in the SNCOs mess it is customary to say 'and have one yourself' to the bar staff which usually means they put 20p out of your change in their pot.
"and one for you" on 16:34 - Feb 22 with 936 viewsMullet

"and one for you" on 16:31 - Feb 22 by artsbossbeard

He doesn't get out much. Is this actually a thing then?

Tipping is a thing yes. Giving someone the price of 4/5ths of a Mars bar, less so.

Standard practice is tell them to take a drink and if they are decent they only take enough for a half.

Unless you get so pissed up and showing off like I did once, you slip the waiter a £20 in handshake thinking you're The Wolf of Halesworth. You have to take those on the chin.

"and one for you" on 16:37 - Feb 22 with 902 viewsartsbossbeard

"and one for you" on 16:32 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

No, of course not. The bloke seems a div.

At the very least he should realise that even if in some daft part of Liverpool in means 50p, it doesn't necessarily mean the same in other parts of the country.

I knew a scouser that called cigarettes smirgals, I wouldn't go to a shop in Ipswich and ask for a pack of smirgals though.

The note was probably counterfeit anyway.

He's alright but likes to let people know he's from Liverpool. Constantly.

I hit a nerve by telling him I didn't rate The Beatles and both The Kinks and The Stones were better.

"and one for you" on 16:44 - Feb 22 with 860 viewsartsbossbeard

"and one for you" on 16:34 - Feb 22 by Mullet

Tipping is a thing yes. Giving someone the price of 4/5ths of a Mars bar, less so.

Standard practice is tell them to take a drink and if they are decent they only take enough for a half.

Unless you get so pissed up and showing off like I did once, you slip the waiter a £20 in handshake thinking you're The Wolf of Halesworth. You have to take those on the chin.

I've no issue tipping for good service, just thought this practice seemed a bit derisory and cheapskate. Suppose it all adds up over an evening though.

Login to get fewer ads

"and one for you" on 16:51 - Feb 22 with 809 viewsMullet

"and one for you" on 16:44 - Feb 22 by artsbossbeard

I've no issue tipping for good service, just thought this practice seemed a bit derisory and cheapskate. Suppose it all adds up over an evening though.

I'm sure if we had someone who lived in America they could tell us. But out there it's something like a dollar per drink tip at bars, which is similar but at least proper.

I agree, your scouse mate would look like he's taking the piss to most people surely?

"and one for you" on 17:27 - Feb 22 with 714 viewsNorthstaNder

"and one for you" on 16:37 - Feb 22 by artsbossbeard

I hit a nerve by telling him I didn't rate The Beatles and both The Kinks and The Stones were better.

The Stones were definitely better than the Beatles!
"and one for you" on 18:30 - Feb 22 with 638 viewsBlueBadger

"and one for you" on 16:37 - Feb 22 by artsbossbeard

I'm willing to bet, based on the information you're giving me here, that he' hasn't been anywhere near Liverpool for at least 10 years.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"and one for you" on 18:30 - Feb 22 with 637 viewsBlueBadger

"and one for you" on 16:31 - Feb 22 by jeera

If somebody said that to me I'd assume they meant a pint.

Or a glass of white wine, if they're a barmaid.

Rules are rules.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"and one for you" on 19:57 - Feb 22 with 568 viewsBluefish

You have never ordered from a bar and said one for yourself?

Although I would expect to buy them a pint opposed to 50p. My old local the LL took for a half

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024