Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striking options for the derby 10:53 - Feb 23 with 3274 viewsMullet

Given how Klose struggled with Murphy all game would it be worth trying Moore as a wildcard? I appreciate he's not the same Murphy in the air, but with his height he can still win a decent amount of headers and while the budgies worry about that he has decent enough feet to twist Klose up in similar fashion.

Considering AN can't organise a team to save his life, I wonder if completely changing the approach to the game might be enough. Flood the midfield, soak up the play and let them start going 20p-50p after half an hour.

I appreciate it'd be harsh to drop Sears after he's scored. But I wonder if we look strong enough in recent weeks against a team who although massively underperforming, aren't Villa underperforming.

Fancy us to score from a corner too for some reason.

Would be equaly nice to see Jonas drill one in again too. Fullbacks that score against the scum are always worthy of exalted praise.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

on 10:56 - Feb 23 with 2089 views_

Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 2033 viewsJimmy86

Didn't go to U23's but judging by those that did, seems Moore has reasonable pace and feet for a big lad. My only concern with playing him in a game like this, is would he be ready to play in such a big game. He is a punt at 10k and hopefully he will be more Murphy than Banjer. We do seem to be playing better just lately and would the inclusion of Moore see us revert to the long ball game, we appear to have moved away from slightly??

Want to see Rowe in action as I believe he has something about him.
Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 2032 viewsPJH

It did cross my mind to put Moore up against Klose in view of the fact that Murphy was able to bully him last time.
I have not yet decided on my final selection though.

Some interesting choices to be made both for starting and on the bench.
Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 2023 viewsSarge

We also looked good against Leeds, Brighton and Reading and they're not underperforming. At last Mick seems to be setting out to impose our own game on the opposition rather than matching them whoever they are. Keep it the same I say, bring Dave back in but no more changes.
Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 2021 viewsNo9

The need is to concentrate on getting the ball to forward positions instead of crossing it sideways & backwards.

The most important player on Sunday will be Huw's because of the way in hwich he runs at defences. Gut the ball too him and chances will come. Sears sppped up front will be useful
Striking options for the derby on 11:06 - Feb 23 with 2004 viewsKieran_Knows

on 10:56 - Feb 23 by _

I don't care who starts, I don't care whether we score in the winner in the 2nd minute, 58th minute or 94th minute, I just want to win the bloody game!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Striking options for the derby on 11:07 - Feb 23 with 1992 viewsNo9

Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 by Sarge

We also looked good against Leeds, Brighton and Reading and they're not underperforming. At last Mick seems to be setting out to impose our own game on the opposition rather than matching them whoever they are. Keep it the same I say, bring Dave back in but no more changes.

Am I right in assuming Dave is the nickname given to Number 37?
Striking options for the derby on 11:09 - Feb 23 with 1971 viewsPJH

Striking options for the derby on 11:07 - Feb 23 by No9

Am I right in assuming Dave is the nickname given to Number 37?

or Toumani Diagouraga as he is sometimes known.
Login to get fewer ads

on 11:12 - Feb 23 with 1944 views_

Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 by Jimmy86

Didn't go to U23's but judging by those that did, seems Moore has reasonable pace and feet for a big lad. My only concern with playing him in a game like this, is would he be ready to play in such a big game. He is a punt at 10k and hopefully he will be more Murphy than Banjer. We do seem to be playing better just lately and would the inclusion of Moore see us revert to the long ball game, we appear to have moved away from slightly??

on 11:14 - Feb 23 with 1926 views_

Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 by No9

The need is to concentrate on getting the ball to forward positions instead of crossing it sideways & backwards.

The most important player on Sunday will be Huw's because of the way in hwich he runs at defences. Gut the ball too him and chances will come. Sears sppped up front will be useful

Striking options for the derby on 11:15 - Feb 23 with 1921 viewsclive_baker

Don't disagree in principle, Klose looks a bit clumsy and I hope we can put him under real pressure. That said, I think McGoldrick might be the man to embarrass him on Sunday. When fit and firing, he's in a class of his own and I feel he's been getting into his stride in recent weeks. He's vital to us against nodge. Murphy is one of the best forwards in the league, and we shouldn't under estimate how valuable he was to us. The bloke was leading the line for Ireland against France and Belgium in the summer and can be completely unplayable at Championship level. I'm not sure we could expect anything like that sort of impact from Moore (yet at least). I've not seen enough of him, but it's a massive step up he's making.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

on 11:17 - Feb 23 with 1908 views_

Striking options for the derby on 11:15 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

Don't disagree in principle, Klose looks a bit clumsy and I hope we can put him under real pressure. That said, I think McGoldrick might be the man to embarrass him on Sunday. When fit and firing, he's in a class of his own and I feel he's been getting into his stride in recent weeks. He's vital to us against nodge. Murphy is one of the best forwards in the league, and we shouldn't under estimate how valuable he was to us. The bloke was leading the line for Ireland against France and Belgium in the summer and can be completely unplayable at Championship level. I'm not sure we could expect anything like that sort of impact from Moore (yet at least). I've not seen enough of him, but it's a massive step up he's making.

Striking options for the derby on 11:24 - Feb 23 with 1837 viewsBluebell

Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 by PJH

It did cross my mind to put Moore up against Klose in view of the fact that Murphy was able to bully him last time.
I have not yet decided on my final selection though.

Some interesting choices to be made both for starting and on the bench.

"I have not yet decided on my final selection though."

You are Mick McCarthy and I claim my packet of cheese and onion crisps.
Striking options for the derby on 11:29 - Feb 23 with 1794 viewsclive_baker

on 11:17 - Feb 23 by _

People are fair to doubt him, it doesn't matter how good a footballer you are if you get 10 decent games from them a season it's not a good use of resource. I think we all agree when he's on it he stands out like a sore thumb, he would walk into any team at this level, and some at the level above. He needs to be on it more though. Same could be said for Williams. I'm excited that maybe this is a resurgence for him, he's good fun to watch. He could be the hero on Sunday imo.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Striking options for the derby on 11:32 - Feb 23 with 1753 viewsMullet

Striking options for the derby on 11:04 - Feb 23 by Jimmy86

Seems too soon for Rowe but I agree, I'm keen to run the rule over him and he strikes me as the sort of tenacious type that would relish Sunday.

One of the highlights against Leeds was McG's long ball to Sears. Really don't get the issue with pass' lengths.

Striking options for the derby on 11:37 - Feb 23 with 1717 viewsJimmy86

Striking options for the derby on 11:29 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

People are fair to doubt him, it doesn't matter how good a footballer you are if you get 10 decent games from them a season it's not a good use of resource. I think we all agree when he's on it he stands out like a sore thumb, he would walk into any team at this level, and some at the level above. He needs to be on it more though. Same could be said for Williams. I'm excited that maybe this is a resurgence for him, he's good fun to watch. He could be the hero on Sunday imo.

Didz needs a goal to get him up and running. Class player, when on form, but also made of glass. The only negative aspect with Didz is his lack of pace. He's never really been that quick anyway, but the injuries have taken their toll too
Striking options for the derby on 11:38 - Feb 23 with 1711 viewsLuk38644

You're right to mention Murphy and their defence struggling physically. That play-off second leg, Murphy and Sears absolutely tore Bassong apart in the first half.

That said, I don't think Moore is as effective as Murph physically despite being alot bigger. He doesn't have the intelligence to use his body and strength in the way Murphy did, not yet anyway.

Would prefer us starting Diagouraga over Skuse to get physicality in the middle, win the midfield battle and ave Sears/McG going forward.
Striking options for the derby on 11:41 - Feb 23 with 1685 viewsMullet

Striking options for the derby on 11:15 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

I'd much rather play a back four and get the most out of the talent we have. For me, that'd be dropping the kids for this one. Both have picked up bookings for getting caught out and I can see the attackers Nodge have aiming to get them sent off. Knudsen and Spence can do the job at full back and get forward if they need to. Spence especially can pick a pass.

A flexible line of Huws, Ward, McG and Sears or Moore ahead of Diagouraga and Skuse would give us a lot of movement.

My only issue with McG and I wouldn't not start him for a minute, is the dirty side of Norwich. Can see them trying to snap him.

Totally agree about Moore vs. Murphy. But we only have one and not the other.

Striking options for the derby on 11:42 - Feb 23 with 1654 viewsJimmy86

Striking options for the derby on 11:32 - Feb 23 by Mullet

Seems too soon for Rowe but I agree, I'm keen to run the rule over him and he strikes me as the sort of tenacious type that would relish Sunday.

One of the highlights against Leeds was McG's long ball to Sears. Really don't get the issue with pass' lengths.

Outside of the boot, over the top of their back 4, was a good pass and the ability to mix it up is key. Far too often previously, when we did play more directly, was a lot of it was just aimless balls pumped up to Murphy, or Pitman, who had even less chance of doing anything with it. What Didz did against Leeds was measured, not just a hopeful lump up pitch. That's the issue, which appears to have been rectified somewhat
on 11:43 - Feb 23 with 1650 views_

Striking options for the derby on 11:32 - Feb 23 by Mullet

Striking options for the derby on 11:44 - Feb 23 with 1620 viewsMullet

Striking options for the derby on 11:42 - Feb 23 by Jimmy86

Outside of the boot, over the top of their back 4, was a good pass and the ability to mix it up is key. Far too often previously, when we did play more directly, was a lot of it was just aimless balls pumped up to Murphy, or Pitman, who had even less chance of doing anything with it. What Didz did against Leeds was measured, not just a hopeful lump up pitch. That's the issue, which appears to have been rectified somewhat

That's another example of us having a midfield back to be honest. How we managed 6 months or so without one is a miracle.

Striking options for the derby on 11:45 - Feb 23 with 1594 viewsMullet

on 11:43 - Feb 23 by _

Think he's been on the physio bench not in the canteen unfortunately.

Striking options for the derby on 11:47 - Feb 23 with 1586 viewsIllinoisblue

Moore, Moore, Moore. How Do You Like It! Will be Monday's headline after he gets his hat trick

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Striking options for the derby on 11:50 - Feb 23 with 1555 viewsMullet

Striking options for the derby on 11:47 - Feb 23 by Illinoisblue

Moore, Moore, Moore. How Do You Like It! Will be Monday's headline after he gets his hat trick

Are you saying Phil can't use question marks? Enjoy your red flash of hmmm

Striking options for the derby on 11:53 - Feb 23 with 1508 viewsPJH

Striking options for the derby on 11:24 - Feb 23 by Bluebell

"I have not yet decided on my final selection though."

You are Mick McCarthy and I claim my packet of cheese and onion crisps.

I like to believe that I think like MM(or MM thinks like me).

If everyone is available there seems to be a squad of 20 from which 2 will be unlucky to not even make the bench,there are a few possible permutations for the starting team.
I would say that there are only five that are certain starters-Bart,Chambers,Berra,Huwes and McG-with loads of possibilities for the remaining places.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024