Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sod that 17:21 - Feb 23 with 2040 viewsLord_Lucan

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2017-02-23/storm-doris-plane-skids-on-landing-at

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sod that on 18:28 - Feb 23 with 1967 viewsbluelagos

You'd proper sh1t yersen on a landing like that!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sod that on 18:53 - Feb 23 with 1933 viewsGlasgowBlue

I hate them fookin little FlyBe planes. Have been on a few from Glasgow to Southampton.

Hitting turbulence on one of those is an experience.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sod that on 19:14 - Feb 23 with 1915 viewsSarge

Sod that on 18:53 - Feb 23 by GlasgowBlue

I hate them fookin little FlyBe planes. Have been on a few from Glasgow to Southampton.

Hitting turbulence on one of those is an experience.

What do you mean? It's the only thing that keeps commercial flying interesting.
Sod that on 19:29 - Feb 23 with 1895 viewsFreddies_Ears

Sod that on 19:14 - Feb 23 by Sarge

What do you mean? It's the only thing that keeps commercial flying interesting.

Spot on. I remember an aborted landing in a nasty cross-wind at Ronaldsway (Isle of Man). The pilot mis-read the short cross-runway, banged it down horribly, such that all the lockers sprung open and the back wheels just shook. The engine slowed, the nose dropped, then the engine picked up and the plane tool back off. Coming round the next time was slightly scary, and I don't get scared easily!
Sod that on 19:35 - Feb 23 with 1882 viewsimsureazzure

I was flying back from Belfast Aldergrove circa 1996 after a spell in Ballycastle, Air Belfast was the carrier, they had 1 aircraft, it was blowing a hooligan, the pilot introduced himself over the intercom as captain Maddog, he then proceeded to inform us all that many pilots would not attempt a take off in these conditions but he would "give it a go".

Sh1t myself is nowhere near.
Sod that on 19:48 - Feb 23 with 1851 viewsLord_Lucan

Sod that on 19:35 - Feb 23 by imsureazzure

I was flying back from Belfast Aldergrove circa 1996 after a spell in Ballycastle, Air Belfast was the carrier, they had 1 aircraft, it was blowing a hooligan, the pilot introduced himself over the intercom as captain Maddog, he then proceeded to inform us all that many pilots would not attempt a take off in these conditions but he would "give it a go".

Sh1t myself is nowhere near.

Oooh. Aside from a bit of a difficult landing with a women pilot coming back from canaries my only horror ones were.

1/ Flying to Amsterdam in mental winds. Most other planes were grounded and runways shut. Captain announces "Ladies and Gents, seems we are in for a difficult landing but I am an experienced pilot and the weather should be within the capabilities of the aircraft.

2/ Whilst in the middle of the Atlantic in no mans land the captain announced "Ladies and Gencleman we have a very serious announcement."
My arse collapsed there and then. After what seemed an age he continued "Someone has been smoking in the toilet"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Sod that on 20:33 - Feb 23 with 1791 viewsgerard1947

I had one like that a few years ago at Belfast City the runway is right on the sea. The plane was one of those that look like a van with wings, I think it was a Short something. I was convinced a wing was going to hit the water as it came in.
Sod that on 20:37 - Feb 23 with 1779 viewsSarge

Sod that on 19:29 - Feb 23 by Freddies_Ears

Spot on. I remember an aborted landing in a nasty cross-wind at Ronaldsway (Isle of Man). The pilot mis-read the short cross-runway, banged it down horribly, such that all the lockers sprung open and the back wheels just shook. The engine slowed, the nose dropped, then the engine picked up and the plane tool back off. Coming round the next time was slightly scary, and I don't get scared easily!

I've done a couple of touch and go's myself but unlike yours it was planned and there were only 2 other people on board!
Login to get fewer ads

Sod that on 23:51 - Feb 23 with 1695 viewsjeera

Sod that on 20:37 - Feb 23 by Sarge

I've done a couple of touch and go's myself but unlike yours it was planned and there were only 2 other people on board!

I'm not trying to out do anyone but I was once on a 60 seater twin engined island hopper with flames beating away across the right wing ...

For 1, I was a kid so didn't really understand, and

2, being such, it wasn't my problem as it was down to the grown ups to sort out.

I was probably the least worried person aboard.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sod that on 07:55 - Feb 24 with 1616 viewsNo9

Didn't look too bad when comparing with some you can find on the internet.

These planes aren't too bad the horrible things to fly in were the Short box like planes which did on occassion blow over whilst standing on th ground
Sod that on 08:40 - Feb 24 with 1592 viewsHorst3000

At my old Company we had a contract working on the Azores. During the summer months the wind wasn't too bad and the landings were ok.

As soon as the summer was over the winds were terrible. I've had similar landings to the one in the film in both light aircraft and Aribus 320 at Terceira Airport.

Worst experience ever was flying form Prague to Berlin in a light aircraft; we basically flew into a thunder storm. The Pilot did a great Job getting out of it and flying around it but we had to fly through it again to land in Berlin.
Honestly thought the plan was going to Crash...
Sod that on 09:05 - Feb 24 with 1565 viewsartsbossbeard

Sod that on 19:48 - Feb 23 by Lord_Lucan

Oooh. Aside from a bit of a difficult landing with a women pilot coming back from canaries my only horror ones were.

1/ Flying to Amsterdam in mental winds. Most other planes were grounded and runways shut. Captain announces "Ladies and Gents, seems we are in for a difficult landing but I am an experienced pilot and the weather should be within the capabilities of the aircraft.

2/ Whilst in the middle of the Atlantic in no mans land the captain announced "Ladies and Gencleman we have a very serious announcement."
My arse collapsed there and then. After what seemed an age he continued "Someone has been smoking in the toilet"

Nigel's boss was travelling from Southern Italy to Austria when the captain came over the tannoy and announced.

"Ladies & Gentleman, our right wing engine has stopped working for some reason but before I declare an emergency landing, we're going to attempt to kick start it by dropping our altitude by approx 5,000ft quickly, buckle up".

It worked.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Sod that on 09:24 - Feb 24 with 1540 viewsITFC1983

Sod that on 09:05 - Feb 24 by artsbossbeard

Nigel's boss was travelling from Southern Italy to Austria when the captain came over the tannoy and announced.

"Ladies & Gentleman, our right wing engine has stopped working for some reason but before I declare an emergency landing, we're going to attempt to kick start it by dropping our altitude by approx 5,000ft quickly, buckle up".

It worked.

Ah the 'drop height' equivalent of the bump start for a car!

Heard about those many times.

My ex's mum used to be a air-hostess on Concorde. She told me many stories, one that I remember is her going to first class, lifting up a panel in the floor in order to crawl down and manually wind down the front wheel as it was seized! The reemerge and pretend nothing was wrong!

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Sod that on 09:26 - Feb 24 with 1535 viewsvapour_trail

Sod that on 19:48 - Feb 23 by Lord_Lucan

You don't happen to know the identity of the offending smoker do you?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Sod that on 09:41 - Feb 24 with 1506 viewsslump

I was in out of here for a good period of my life and it is not something that you get used to. Dead fighter, commmercial and passenger planes littering the adjacent bush was a bit like Gun Hill and the A12

http://www.theafricanaviationtribune.com/2012/11/south-sudan-kenyan-charter-plan

UTT

Sod that on 09:41 - Feb 24 with 1506 viewsEireannach_gorm

Sod that on 20:33 - Feb 23 by gerard1947

I had one like that a few years ago at Belfast City the runway is right on the sea. The plane was one of those that look like a van with wings, I think it was a Short something. I was convinced a wing was going to hit the water as it came in.

Those Short Brothers aircraft were affectionately known as 'Flying Shoeboxes'. You haven't lived until you are able to view the whole runway from the side window as you land while the pilot tacks ( as in sailing ) in to land.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2017 9:45]
Sod that on 09:55 - Feb 24 with 1450 viewsFreddies_Ears

Sod that on 20:33 - Feb 23 by gerard1947

Ah, the Shorts 360, or flying shoebox. Not all that aerodynamic, not all that quick, but big windows and reasonably comfortable (if you could shut out the noise).

It shook and sounded like the engine was diesel, but I am sure I recall setting down in Coventry so they could put more wood in the boiler.
Sod that on 10:01 - Feb 24 with 1435 viewsbluelagos

Sod that on 09:41 - Feb 24 by Eireannach_gorm

Those Short Brothers aircraft were affectionately known as 'Flying Shoeboxes'. You haven't lived until you are able to view the whole runway from the side window as you land while the pilot tacks ( as in sailing ) in to land.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2017 9:45]

I think I was a passenger on one of those on an internal flight in Nigeria a few years back. Basically it looked like a portacabin, but with wings and tail sticking out the side.

Someone told me they were made in Belfast and I remember the "flying shoebox" description. Might google a few pics and post one up if I can find one.

---
Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_SC.7_Skyvan
[Post edited 24 Feb 2017 10:03]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sod that on 10:08 - Feb 24 with 1414 viewsLord_Lucan

Sod that on 09:26 - Feb 24 by vapour_trail

You don't happen to know the identity of the offending smoker do you?

We had to stop in Orlando to refuel and they arrested the bloke. Don't know what ultimately happened to him but he flew onward no further.

When I was flying to Turkey about 5 years back someone was caught smoking on the plane but only got a slight telling off. I got more hassle for drinking a bottle of wine that I had brought on - and so starteth my Thompsons hell.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024