Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An educational quandary 08:22 - Feb 25 with 2366 viewssparks

I suspect there's some expertise on here (not to mention some who think they have it but who's opinions one would have cause to doubt :-)). There may also be people who have had similar situations.

Child X is one of the older one in his year group. In early years of primary school he and a friend of his move swiftly and significantly ahead of the others and are moved up into the next year for year 3 and onwards. Child X is now technically a year 4, but doing very well in with the year 5 class.

Decisions about secondary school are looming.

Does he go up with his current class, and risk being the youngest in that year, being a little upset at leaving his old year mates behind (with whom he still tends to mix more) and effectively end up getting to GCSEs and A Levels a year early?

Or does he stay back when his current class move up, repeat year 6, risk get bored and stagnant, possibly have self esteem damaged a little by not being considered part of the group he has competed very well with- but potentially gain the benefit of an extra year before exams, and being very much the top of the class without anyone near him.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

An educational quandary on 08:33 - Feb 25 with 1978 viewsElderGrizzly

Being youngest in the year tends to be a disadvantage, academically anyway.

Plenty of studies in the last few years drawing that conclusion. One pasted below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9843971/Summer-born-children-at-bottom-of-t

I don't have kids yet, but in a previous career did a lot of work on the curricula for various Ministries of Education in the Middle East and like here, a lot of focus on the youngest and how they tend to struggle. Clearly not a blanket statement, but statistically they do tend to.

Normally referred to as the "Summer Babies" and we now allow parents to hold their kids back a year if born in late August.

Sounds like its more of a social decision here rather than an academic one for your kid? Personally, i'd stick with his 'natural' age group as there is no rush and very little benefit to doing exams a year early. Certainly later in life, no-one will judge it as an advantage.

Good luck!
An educational quandary on 08:42 - Feb 25 with 1954 viewsPinewoodblue

Is the current arrangement, to be a year ahead, something that has been done on an informal basis, with head teacher/ governors?

Would need approval of the education authorities for it to continue into secondary education. Parents may not have a choice, although think you can appeal.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

An educational quandary on 08:44 - Feb 25 with 1949 viewssparks

An educational quandary on 08:33 - Feb 25 by ElderGrizzly

Plenty of studies in the last few years drawing that conclusion. One pasted below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9843971/Summer-born-children-at-bottom-of-t

I don't have kids yet, but in a previous career did a lot of work on the curricula for various Ministries of Education in the Middle East and like here, a lot of focus on the youngest and how they tend to struggle. Clearly not a blanket statement, but statistically they do tend to.

Normally referred to as the "Summer Babies" and we now allow parents to hold their kids back a year if born in late August.

Sounds like its more of a social decision here rather than an academic one for your kid? Personally, i'd stick with his 'natural' age group as there is no rush and very little benefit to doing exams a year early. Certainly later in life, no-one will judge it as an advantage.

Good luck!

Yep- I'm aware that data. Its the same in sport- the eldest ina year group tend to be ahead, and by being ahead in teh first place the gap tends to grow as they are the more confident, the ones who get picked and do well etc which is all self reinforcing.

At the moment though, he is right at the top end of his class, despite being from the year below.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

An educational quandary on 09:05 - Feb 25 with 1915 viewsElderGrizzly

An educational quandary on 08:44 - Feb 25 by sparks

Yep- I'm aware that data. Its the same in sport- the eldest ina year group tend to be ahead, and by being ahead in teh first place the gap tends to grow as they are the more confident, the ones who get picked and do well etc which is all self reinforcing.

At the moment though, he is right at the top end of his class, despite being from the year below.

Thought you would be, hence why i thought this was more of a social decision than a purely academic one?

Of course kids develop academically at various speeds. Some shoot off then slow down, some do the opposite. Previous performance dorsn't indicate future attainment etc...

Tough call
An educational quandary on 09:09 - Feb 25 with 1902 viewsblueislander

An educational quandary on 08:42 - Feb 25 by Pinewoodblue

Is the current arrangement, to be a year ahead, something that has been done on an informal basis, with head teacher/ governors?

Would need approval of the education authorities for it to continue into secondary education. Parents may not have a choice, although think you can appeal.

I think that is correct. Some special exception has to be granted by the education authority. It must happen though, as you read of 14 year olds getting A level grades good enough for them to get a university place.
An educational quandary on 09:14 - Feb 25 with 1894 viewsfeelingblue

My brother who is a headmaster, would point you at the data, and suggest that it is pretty much conclusive and runs right through to university finals.

He would also suggest that you need to a make a difficult judgement on X's likely maturity at 13/14/15, where there is potential for him to feel out of place in his cohort.
An educational quandary on 09:17 - Feb 25 with 1872 viewssparks

An educational quandary on 09:09 - Feb 25 by blueislander

I think that is correct. Some special exception has to be granted by the education authority. It must happen though, as you read of 14 year olds getting A level grades good enough for them to get a university place.

It seems that it is dependent on the secondary school being happy with it.

An educational quandary on 09:19 - Feb 25 with 1858 viewsbluelagos

If it were me, I'd take him on a year's sabbatical and fook off traveling for a year knowinghis formal education won't suffer. He'll learn shed loads from seeing Bushmen hunting, goat herders herd and listening to Mongolian throat singers do their thing.

If not, am guessing mumsnet is probably going to be more helpful than this place.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

An educational quandary on 09:20 - Feb 25 with 1855 viewsvapour_trail

An educational quandary on 09:14 - Feb 25 by feelingblue

My brother who is a headmaster, would point you at the data, and suggest that it is pretty much conclusive and runs right through to university finals.

He would also suggest that you need to a make a difficult judgement on X's likely maturity at 13/14/15, where there is potential for him to feel out of place in his cohort.

I think the second consideration is a big one.

If X stays back, what sort of programme are his school going to make available to ensure he doesn't stagnate?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

An educational quandary on 09:24 - Feb 25 with 1829 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My instinct would be to stick with their age group,if they enjoy learning make sure they have the opportunity to expand their knowledge base to avoid boredom. However in all honesty I would ask them and go with that .

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

An educational quandary on 09:32 - Feb 25 with 1800 viewsPendejo

Move on up with current class - do not consider anything else. Mates don't [usually] earn you money when you leave school.

My 15 year old is one of the brightest kids at his school and gets frustrated with having to move at the pace of the slowest and his teachers have to give him different work to his class mates.
Mentally he is probably at the level of an 18 year old [or older in some respects] and whilst the classes are theoretically streamed they have kids of "different abilities" [not his words!] to try to help chivvy them up within a peer group.

Do not allow stagnation, generally you get one crack at an education... ake it a good un.

[I left school at 15 with enough O Levels to get me into a professional environment BUT know that had I done A Levels and / or Degree I'd be earning twice what I earn now - and maybe 3 times the stress]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

An educational quandary on 09:42 - Feb 25 with 1748 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

I teach year 5/6 (in i believe your neck of the woods) and would say that the curriculum has changed now so that gifted children are now challenged through 'greater depth' thinking and problem solving, as opposed to pusing on into schemes of work of higher years. I know that, were one of my kids to repeat a year, that there is enough scope to challenge them through investigative and problem solving, as well as gap-filling any necessary areas.

So, agreeing with what others have said re: the potential pitfalls of being a year younger in secondary school, the school should be able to provide, through greater depth of thinking and logic problems, sufficient challenge were the child to return to their correct cohort.
An educational quandary on 09:48 - Feb 25 with 1719 viewsBathBlue

I'm an Assistant Headteacher at a secondary school and providing the LEA/school are happy I'd personally go with moving up early. In previous experience secondary schools are much better placed to offer appropriate stretch and challenge than primary schools. Whilst being a year younger may have certain disadvantages, being bored for a year at that age could be detrimental. Tough decision though.
An educational quandary on 09:49 - Feb 25 with 1709 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

An educational quandary on 09:42 - Feb 25 by DropCliffsNotBombs

I teach year 5/6 (in i believe your neck of the woods) and would say that the curriculum has changed now so that gifted children are now challenged through 'greater depth' thinking and problem solving, as opposed to pusing on into schemes of work of higher years. I know that, were one of my kids to repeat a year, that there is enough scope to challenge them through investigative and problem solving, as well as gap-filling any necessary areas.

So, agreeing with what others have said re: the potential pitfalls of being a year younger in secondary school, the school should be able to provide, through greater depth of thinking and logic problems, sufficient challenge were the child to return to their correct cohort.

This would maybe also offer an opportunity for the child to find an area of learning that they have a genuine passion for.....which would certainly be advantageous moving forward potentially even in terms of a future career.
I am an August born person and had a knack for passing exams...however I had a passion for none of it, the conveyer belt takes you so far but in the end you want to jump off unless it is taking you to somewhere you actually want to be .

An educational quandary on 09:54 - Feb 25 with 1671 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

bluelagos...

"If not, am guessing mumsnet is probably going to be more helpful than this place."

...hell no, anywhere but there !!
[Post edited 25 Feb 2017 9:56]

An educational quandary on 09:58 - Feb 25 with 1661 viewsGuthrum

My sister had a similar situation, going to secondary school a year early. She coped fine, made plenty of friends (tho the school she came from was not an automatic feeder into that secondary, so it was a clean break with former agegroup) and did well academically. She's now a teacher.

Think she did find some developmental aspects a bit of a struggle, being two-thirds of a year younger than the next youngest. My mother says, in retrospect, she's not sure how much of a good thing it was.

Sister took a gap year (not so common back then) before uni, which was a very good idea IMO. Another friend of mine went to uni early and I get the impression he missed out on quite a lot, socially.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

An educational quandary on 10:03 - Feb 25 with 1636 viewsloyalfan

An educational quandary on 09:49 - Feb 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

This would maybe also offer an opportunity for the child to find an area of learning that they have a genuine passion for.....which would certainly be advantageous moving forward potentially even in terms of a future career.
I am an August born person and had a knack for passing exams...however I had a passion for none of it, the conveyer belt takes you so far but in the end you want to jump off unless it is taking you to somewhere you actually want to be .

I can understand keeping a Summer baby back a year but really cannot see why a September baby would want to go to Secondary school still aged 10 effectively. The child may well be flourishing in a year above themself at Primary School but children develop at such different ages this might all change dramatically between the ages of 11 and 16. Why rush through education and always have to explain why you are in the "wrong" academic year? If I am right, there might even be a problem with playing sport for your school by being in the incorrect year as don't they impose very strict guidelines about the DOB of players in teams- ie, you have to be born between 1.9.?? and 31.8.?? to play for the Year team? Only my opinion but unless this child is exceptionally bright I cannot see the logic of rushing them through the system as the school years are so important for children- they have a long enough working life ahead of them not to rush to get there. I have 2 children and would never have dreamt of letting either of them get "fast tracked" in this way even though Child 1 was ahead of the game at 10 but this all levelled out in Secondary school...
An educational quandary on 10:19 - Feb 25 with 1623 viewsLord_Lucan

Sparks. If you only listen to one thing I ever say then take notice of this.

Your main responsibility as a parent is to educate your kids.

When I started primary school I was the youngest in the class. Then Maggie Thatcher as education secretary looked down upon me and changed the school year dates by a week. I had to do the same year again and was then the oldest kid in the class. I cannot stress what a huge benefit this is. If you are 30+ then a year makes no difference but say you are 10, that extra year has a huge effect what with brain development etc.

I assume your kids are at a decent school and young Sparks is not just a number in an inner city cesspit, in which case the teachers will do everything in their power to make sonny jims school year is informative and worthwhile, I am sure they will go the whole hog and give him additional and varied work to do, they want their pupils to be a success.

Do not think about asking your childs opinion, he or she is not old enough to have a say. If you push the kid up early and they find things difficult then you will regret it forever.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

An educational quandary on 13:08 - Feb 25 with 1493 viewssparks

An educational quandary on 10:19 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

Sparks. If you only listen to one thing I ever say then take notice of this.

Your main responsibility as a parent is to educate your kids.

When I started primary school I was the youngest in the class. Then Maggie Thatcher as education secretary looked down upon me and changed the school year dates by a week. I had to do the same year again and was then the oldest kid in the class. I cannot stress what a huge benefit this is. If you are 30+ then a year makes no difference but say you are 10, that extra year has a huge effect what with brain development etc.

I assume your kids are at a decent school and young Sparks is not just a number in an inner city cesspit, in which case the teachers will do everything in their power to make sonny jims school year is informative and worthwhile, I am sure they will go the whole hog and give him additional and varied work to do, they want their pupils to be a success.

Do not think about asking your childs opinion, he or she is not old enough to have a say. If you push the kid up early and they find things difficult then you will regret it forever.

Our concern is that he will be bored going back to his old year and repeating. He is significantly ahead of all of them and the risk is he falls abck through stagnation. He is only 2 months younger than the youngest in his current class. Which makes it very difficult. I hear what you say.

An educational quandary on 13:09 - Feb 25 with 1483 viewssparks

An educational quandary on 09:48 - Feb 25 by BathBlue

I'm an Assistant Headteacher at a secondary school and providing the LEA/school are happy I'd personally go with moving up early. In previous experience secondary schools are much better placed to offer appropriate stretch and challenge than primary schools. Whilst being a year younger may have certain disadvantages, being bored for a year at that age could be detrimental. Tough decision though.

Given your username, its not impossible that you are at one of the potential schools :-)

Though we are some way south of Bath.

An educational quandary on 13:25 - Feb 25 with 1442 viewsLord_Lucan

An educational quandary on 13:08 - Feb 25 by sparks

Our concern is that he will be bored going back to his old year and repeating. He is significantly ahead of all of them and the risk is he falls abck through stagnation. He is only 2 months younger than the youngest in his current class. Which makes it very difficult. I hear what you say.

Tbh I'm quite surprised with the amount of people suggesting nipper goes up early - including bathblue who is obviously more qualified than I to give advice.

In view of the above just treat my advice as a personal opinion and not definite info.

I'm sure though that the teachers will put extra effort in to motivate nipper. It's not just about written work either. He or she would also benefit in sports and confidence with people. Also, as a responsible parent which I am sure you are you can also help with additional tuition.

Finally, if he or she does start to find thing a little difficult a while after moving up it will be a bigger issue than being a bit bored.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Fair points, especially the sports side on 13:28 - Feb 25 with 1422 viewsDyland

An educational quandary on 13:25 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

Tbh I'm quite surprised with the amount of people suggesting nipper goes up early - including bathblue who is obviously more qualified than I to give advice.

In view of the above just treat my advice as a personal opinion and not definite info.

I'm sure though that the teachers will put extra effort in to motivate nipper. It's not just about written work either. He or she would also benefit in sports and confidence with people. Also, as a responsible parent which I am sure you are you can also help with additional tuition.

Finally, if he or she does start to find thing a little difficult a while after moving up it will be a bigger issue than being a bit bored.

Kids mature at different ages but if there's a year in it it potentially more of an issue.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Fair points, especially the sports side on 13:37 - Feb 25 with 1402 viewsLord_Lucan

Fair points, especially the sports side on 13:28 - Feb 25 by Dyland

Kids mature at different ages but if there's a year in it it potentially more of an issue.

Yes. The point I was trying to make - but maybe not very well - is that I breezed through junior school. I was always top of the class, easy peasy. When I was hoarded off to Grammar school I came up against people equal and in a lot of cases better than me. Instantly I thought "feck this" and went on a 5 year course of self destruction. There is a risk that this could happen with Bulbeck junior.

An educational quandary on 13:37 - Feb 25 with 1400 viewsbournemouthblue

An educational quandary on 08:33 - Feb 25 by ElderGrizzly

Good luck!

What is the solution?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

An educational quandary on 13:46 - Feb 25 with 1369 viewsDistantBlue

I'm a teacher at a secondary school and we found ourselves in a similar position as you with one of our children a few years ago. We decided not to go for jumping a year on the basis of the emotional development that others have already mentioned. Two year differences in age of children can become significantly more pronounced when they hit 14-16. It doesn't always result in problems of course, but at the time we felt uncomfortable about it.
In the end, as I said we didn't go for the skipping the year choice. Maybe our son had a slightly easier year at the end of primary school as a result. I can't say that it had any negative consequences really, he performed well at secondary school both academically and socially.
Looking back I certainly feel we made the right choice for us, but I appreciate it is a tricky call to make.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024