Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The issues with mick in december were: 13:19 - Feb 25 with 3276 viewsBondiBlue

Chambers at right back
Skuse and/or douglas in midfield
Sears out wide
4-4-2

Forgive me if i've missed any, but he's solved them all, hasn't he? While at the same time managing to get results without a target man murphy replacement, which is what we wanted all along, isn't it? Bit of football with less of the hoof?

Mick in.

Carn town.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The issues with mick in december were: on 13:33 - Feb 25 with 2998 viewsbournemouthblue

He has solved it more through luck than judgement imho and that's the worrying thing

First and foremost, if he can get us playing to his preferred system as he did in the play-off season, supplemented with a bit more quality then he will eventually get us out of this league

He is and never will be the long term answer, he's a good manager but we will need a top manager to go to the Premiership and stay there for any length of time

Who'd have thought he'd ever be playing a 352 though, I think he will have learned much from this season, there could be life in the old dog yet
[Post edited 25 Feb 2017 13:34]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The issues with mick in december were: on 13:50 - Feb 25 with 2934 viewsFtnfwest

Yes, that er showed us then didn't it?
The issues with mick in december were: on 14:07 - Feb 25 with 2899 viewsnshearman1

The issues with mick in december were: on 13:33 - Feb 25 by bournemouthblue

He has solved it more through luck than judgement imho and that's the worrying thing

First and foremost, if he can get us playing to his preferred system as he did in the play-off season, supplemented with a bit more quality then he will eventually get us out of this league

He is and never will be the long term answer, he's a good manager but we will need a top manager to go to the Premiership and stay there for any length of time

Who'd have thought he'd ever be playing a 352 though, I think he will have learned much from this season, there could be life in the old dog yet

Exactly right, he persisted with square pegs in round holes and defended his tactics for far too long for this change to be all down to judgement.Injuries predominantly forced his hand, and he's now trying to re-write history a bit. However, he should be given credit for bringing in loanees who have restored the balance of the team and allowed him to play players in their rightful positions in an effective formation for their natural abilities.

He's also being a bit warmer towards the fans who he largely lost through inept comments as well as the appalling football.

But we won't get promotion with this financial strategy in play until ME is prepared to pay a good £5-10 million in transfer fees alone to give us the extra push we all need.

We have a real chance of getting a point at Norwich or even a win, but even if we do that it shouldn't paper over the cracks of the long-term problems we currently face under ME.
The issues with mick in december were: on 14:10 - Feb 25 with 2887 viewsPilgrimblue

Sorry to burst your bubble but more luck than anything.
He kept on with Chambo at RB despite poor results and his own performances suggesting that he'd be better at CB and only changed due to Webster's injury.
Skuse again was nailed on every match until he too got injured and so tried Dave (last minute signing) and got message from fans that Dougy was past his best.
Lastly Freddie was switched again due to lack of strikers and evidence when Murphy was around that he is best in centre.
Hardly the sign of great management by Mick when you think he had Williams on bench for many games preferring Skuglas. Also the move to 352 was last resort at QPR although he switched back to 442 in second half.

I'm still MM out until he shows that he can maintain the current style and form.
The issues with mick in december were: on 15:41 - Feb 25 with 2810 viewsbadadski

The issues with mick in december were: on 14:10 - Feb 25 by Pilgrimblue

He kept on with Chambo at RB despite poor results and his own performances suggesting that he'd be better at CB and only changed due to Webster's injury.
Skuse again was nailed on every match until he too got injured and so tried Dave (last minute signing) and got message from fans that Dougy was past his best.
Lastly Freddie was switched again due to lack of strikers and evidence when Murphy was around that he is best in centre.
Hardly the sign of great management by Mick when you think he had Williams on bench for many games preferring Skuglas. Also the move to 352 was last resort at QPR although he switched back to 442 in second half.

I'm still MM out until he shows that he can maintain the current style and form.

He hasn't solved anything, he has ironically just done what most fans have been saying for the last few seasons of which he has been telling us "what do we know? We are just paying spectators, he is the professional with years of experience."

You don't have to be paid to understand what's directly in front of your eyes week in week out which he has failed to see up until recently or chosen to ignore before it was too late which is almost is now.

I am a Mick inner by the way but sometimes I look at what goes on during match time
And think what the hell must be happening during training coaching sessions and how has this player played for so long ?

Too his credit the loans have offered a massive improvement and now he has changed things around it seems to have rejuvenated everyone so long may it continue .
The issues with mick in december were: on 17:19 - Feb 25 with 2712 viewsjas0999

Not just December though was it. Best part of a year. Four promising results recently but still more to do. Can't see folk flooding back to watch games. A win at Norwich however, may be a different thing altogether.
The issues with mick in december were: on 19:27 - Feb 25 with 2573 viewshadleighboyblue

The issues with mick in december were: on 15:41 - Feb 25 by badadski

He hasn't solved anything, he has ironically just done what most fans have been saying for the last few seasons of which he has been telling us "what do we know? We are just paying spectators, he is the professional with years of experience."

You don't have to be paid to understand what's directly in front of your eyes week in week out which he has failed to see up until recently or chosen to ignore before it was too late which is almost is now.

I am a Mick inner by the way but sometimes I look at what goes on during match time
And think what the hell must be happening during training coaching sessions and how has this player played for so long ?

Too his credit the loans have offered a massive improvement and now he has changed things around it seems to have rejuvenated everyone so long may it continue .

The worrying thing is that the 3 players that have made such a difference are all only on loan ..............

Credit to the whole team though , the last few games have been so much better , got a sneaky feeling we might upset the budgies tomorrow.......if MM picks the right team .
The issues with mick in december were: on 20:22 - Feb 25 with 2504 viewsWicklowBlue

So prior to signing "Dave" in January. Who would you have played in the midfield?

Bit harsh I feel, saying Mick tried Dave when he obviously signed him for a reason. How about Huws who he signed too? As I posted before do these signings not show MM knew the problems that existed?

Prior to the transfer window I think we kept trying to find a winning combo in midfield. None were successful and yes we have had a horrible time with injuries.

Would agree with you about continuing the Chambers RB experiment but for me our midfield has sucked for years.
Login to get fewer ads

The issues with mick in december were: on 20:44 - Feb 25 with 2465 viewsBluefish

The issues with mick in december were: on 13:33 - Feb 25 by bournemouthblue

How do we determine when it is luck??

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The issues with mick in december were: on 22:35 - Feb 25 with 2373 viewsHerbivore

That's a distorted view of what has actually happened. We started playing 3 at the back with Chambers in the middle prior to Webster getting injured. Diagouraga started playing alongside Skuse, not instead of. Sears wasn't switched from playing wide, he was brought into the side from the bench, he hasn't been playing out wide in ages.

It's interesting that people feel our recent performances have been because Mick has lucked on to a system that's working and has done so via his hand has been forced. He's now got a bigger squad to pick from than he's had in a long time and he's choosing to play this system and players, the system is something he's been trying for a while now. In December we barely had enough players to fill the bench at times and yet people portray this as a time where Mick wasn't hindered and simply decided that he wanted to play the likes of Douglas. Now we have other midfield options Douglas is a fringe player at best but listen to the fans and they'd claim Mick's been forced into him not playing. It's nonsense.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The issues with mick in december were: on 23:17 - Feb 25 with 2300 viewsnshearman1

The issues with mick in december were: on 22:35 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

That's a distorted view of what has actually happened. We started playing 3 at the back with Chambers in the middle prior to Webster getting injured. Diagouraga started playing alongside Skuse, not instead of. Sears wasn't switched from playing wide, he was brought into the side from the bench, he hasn't been playing out wide in ages.

It's interesting that people feel our recent performances have been because Mick has lucked on to a system that's working and has done so via his hand has been forced. He's now got a bigger squad to pick from than he's had in a long time and he's choosing to play this system and players, the system is something he's been trying for a while now. In December we barely had enough players to fill the bench at times and yet people portray this as a time where Mick wasn't hindered and simply decided that he wanted to play the likes of Douglas. Now we have other midfield options Douglas is a fringe player at best but listen to the fans and they'd claim Mick's been forced into him not playing. It's nonsense.

The nonsense is yours, Herb. He didn't have to play Douglas, or the formation he regularly chose.
The issues with mick in december were: on 05:46 - Feb 26 with 2208 viewspowinswitch

October. After 8 games with only 4 goals since mid August. Home v Huddersfield. Central midfield Skuse and Douglas. Result 0-1. Subs included Bishop and Grant. Away to Blackburn. Result 0-0 central midfield Skuse and Douglas. Subs include Bishop, Bru, Williams, Grant. We have now not scored For 5 games, and it's only 4 in the last 12. Home v Burton. Win 2-0. Douglas doesn't play, midfield includes Bishop, Bru, and Skuse. Then away to Newcastle, which I know is a tough game. Central midfield is Grant and Douglas. Lose 3-0. Silly and unfair video of Douglas, which does not help anybody. Subs include bishop, bru and Williams. Then home to Rotherham. Draw 2-2. Central midfield is bishop and Skuse, no Douglas.
At this point we have scored 4 goals in two games without mick's preferred midfield. While with them we have scored just 4 goals in 8 games.
He kept with things at Wednesday where we won and looked good. It then went wrong versus Forest, where we actually seemed to be done within 20 seconds by sloppy defending. That opening goal did for us that day, and Mick then returned to type. QPR was a woeful game, albeit we won 3-0.
Mick then stuck with Skuse and Douglas through December until and including The Fulham debacle, with the exception of Wigan away, which we won 3-2. So in the four December games where Skuse and Douglas started we scored 2 goals and picked up 2 points. In the 2 they didn't we scored 5 and picked up 6. Jonny Williams and Kevin bru were available for 3 of the 4 games that Douglas started in December.
The last 4 games seem to be the upturn in fortunes. Skuse has played in two of those and we picked up 2 points. How's has played in 4 and we picked up 6, ward in 3 and we got 5, and diagouraga in 3 -and we picked up 5. Statistically Skuse seems to be the weak link, but hey that's just stats.
With the Diagouraga, Huws, Skuse and other midfield options, the key now is what Mick does going forward and what the outcome of his decisions are. I would go with Dave huws and ward today and have Skuse on the bench. If mick goes with Skuse then so be it But what I hope is that he has ditched the let's not lose mentality. Let's set up to stop them. I also hope he is not going to stick with those who are in the team sheet every week. Of which Skuse is more or less the main man.
Mick does appear to have stumbled on a more successful formula, but that may be unfair. I don't care as long as he sets out to win games, and entertain. Because he wasn't doing that, and in my view, that has been the problem.
The issues with mick in december were: on 09:38 - Feb 26 with 2113 viewsHerbivore

The issues with mick in december were: on 23:17 - Feb 25 by nshearman1

The nonsense is yours, Herb. He didn't have to play Douglas, or the formation he regularly chose.

Amazing counter-argument as ever, mate. You've won me round.

The issues with mick in december were: on 09:50 - Feb 26 with 2092 viewsClausThomsen

The issues with mick in december were: on 20:22 - Feb 25 by WicklowBlue

So prior to signing "Dave" in January. Who would you have played in the midfield?

Bit harsh I feel, saying Mick tried Dave when he obviously signed him for a reason. How about Huws who he signed too? As I posted before do these signings not show MM knew the problems that existed?

Prior to the transfer window I think we kept trying to find a winning combo in midfield. None were successful and yes we have had a horrible time with injuries.

Would agree with you about continuing the Chambers RB experiment but for me our midfield has sucked for years.

We've had Grant Ward all season who could have played central midfield. Lawrence could play there in a 3 and MM signed some kid from Everton who could've played there - not to mention Williams and Bishop have been fit sitting on the bench watching Douglas' rigamortis set in.

We weren't trying to find a winning combo in midfield, MM stuck with what wasn't working until he was being booed by his own supporters - then he changed it.

Chambers at RB wasn't an experiment - MM loves a centreback at rightback. It's a ridiculous idiosyncrasy.

Let's see how the rest of the season (and today) goes. If we "match up" today...
The issues with mick in december were: on 10:06 - Feb 26 with 2061 viewsNo9

His hand was forced.
Maybe he has seen the light but, maybe not.
Today is a big day for him.
If he sticks with the new boys and attacks Town will have a chance. If they really o for i he will, I'm sure get some support no matter what.
If he reverts to type, tries to park the bus & gets beaten that will not go down well.
The issues with mick in december were: on 10:09 - Feb 26 with 2050 viewsHerbivore

The issues with mick in december were: on 10:06 - Feb 26 by No9

His hand was forced.
Maybe he has seen the light but, maybe not.
Today is a big day for him.
If he sticks with the new boys and attacks Town will have a chance. If they really o for i he will, I'm sure get some support no matter what.
If he reverts to type, tries to park the bus & gets beaten that will not go down well.

In what way was his hand forced?

The issues with mick in december were: on 10:13 - Feb 26 with 2041 viewsNo9

You are being over gnerous to MM.
He's been here for a while now and slowly but surely the team, on the pitch failed to perform.
This season has been very poor but there are many of us who foresaw this as the midfiled was the problem = unable to play the ball forward with any accuracy.
With Murph it was OM = Skuse to Smithy, Smith big hoof, Murph to run. Most of us moaned about it & when MM tried to 'play football' last season Reading unmercifully tanked his team.

The changes he's made should have been made a long, long while ago.
My real fear is that he hasn't learned & given the opportunity with ALL fit he would revert to his old favourites - isn't that why Wolves sacked him ?
The issues with mick in december were: on 10:17 - Feb 26 with 2024 viewsHerbivore

The issues with mick in december were: on 10:13 - Feb 26 by No9

You are being over gnerous to MM.
He's been here for a while now and slowly but surely the team, on the pitch failed to perform.
This season has been very poor but there are many of us who foresaw this as the midfiled was the problem = unable to play the ball forward with any accuracy.
With Murph it was OM = Skuse to Smithy, Smith big hoof, Murph to run. Most of us moaned about it & when MM tried to 'play football' last season Reading unmercifully tanked his team.

The changes he's made should have been made a long, long while ago.
My real fear is that he hasn't learned & given the opportunity with ALL fit he would revert to his old favourites - isn't that why Wolves sacked him ?

But his 'favourites' are fit and he's been choosing not to play them? Douglas has played about half an hour in the league over the past couple of months when we've had more options available. MM clearly saw that the midfield wasn't working which is why he brought in two new central midfielders in January, he couldn't act sooner with the transfer window as it is and I'm sure he - like us - was expecting more from Bishop, and possibly even Bru, this season.

I'm still interested to know how his hand's been forced too. He's got more players available than he's had all season and he's choosing to play this system and these players. If his hand wasn't being forced when he had fewer options, how is it that it's being forced now?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2017 10:19]

The issues with mick in december were: on 10:20 - Feb 26 with 2010 viewsNo9

The issues with mick in december were: on 10:17 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

But his 'favourites' are fit and he's been choosing not to play them? Douglas has played about half an hour in the league over the past couple of months when we've had more options available. MM clearly saw that the midfield wasn't working which is why he brought in two new central midfielders in January, he couldn't act sooner with the transfer window as it is and I'm sure he - like us - was expecting more from Bishop, and possibly even Bru, this season.

I'm still interested to know how his hand's been forced too. He's got more players available than he's had all season and he's choosing to play this system and these players. If his hand wasn't being forced when he had fewer options, how is it that it's being forced now?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2017 10:19]

Frankly I thought he shopuld have rebuilt the midfield during the close season.
I wasn't working last year so I have no idea how he thought it would work this year.
The negative football came from his ideas and those he chose to execute them.

We just hope he has learned something
The issues with mick in december were: on 11:26 - Feb 26 with 1953 viewsHerbivore

The issues with mick in december were: on 10:20 - Feb 26 by No9

Frankly I thought he shopuld have rebuilt the midfield during the close season.
I wasn't working last year so I have no idea how he thought it would work this year.
The negative football came from his ideas and those he chose to execute them.

We just hope he has learned something

So how has his hand been forced?

The issues with mick in december were: on 11:30 - Feb 26 with 1944 viewsNo9

The issues with mick in december were: on 11:26 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

By injuries to Skuse & Berra
Had they not happened he would have continued to play them with the cross filed backward passing depriving the frontrunners of any supply.

Don't forget last week in the last 1/2 hour Town had 5 corners an most of the play - who went off?
The issues with mick in december were: on 11:44 - Feb 26 with 1889 viewspatrickswell

The issues with mick in december were: on 11:30 - Feb 26 by No9

By injuries to Skuse & Berra
Had they not happened he would have continued to play them with the cross filed backward passing depriving the frontrunners of any supply.

Don't forget last week in the last 1/2 hour Town had 5 corners an most of the play - who went off?

Take the Reading game as the starting point though, he had Emmanuel at RB, 3 central defenders in Chambers, Berra and Taylor, with Knudsen at left back. Skuse and Diagouraga started in central midfield (2 CDM which has driven people mad), but when Skuse got injured, Ward replaced him. You could say the real happy accident is Taylor and Berra's temporary injury has rejuvenated Knudsen - opened the left wing back role up for Kenlock - and with Spence or Emmanuel competing for the right back berth, we now only need one CDM starting matches given that Huws and Ward get us on the front foot centrally, and the wing backs provide attacking options out wide.

Also, thinking back to December, he did make changes by bringing in Kenlock for Knudsen and using Bru/Dozzell to replace Douglas.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2017 11:46]
The issues with mick in december were: on 11:53 - Feb 26 with 1868 viewspowinswitch

The issues with mick in december were: on 11:26 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

By fans voicing their dissatisfaction with the dire football served up whenever he went with Skuse and Douglas. By low crowds creating a poor/toxic atmosphere whenever he stuck with what was not working. Then by the injuries to Berra, Taylor, Webster, and Skuse. I do not believe McCarthy would have found a midfield with Diagouraga, Huws and Ward any other way. Now he has he has settled for Skuse instead of Diagouraga, but I hear the latter has been ill so fair enough.

Many People do not see that Skuse is better than Diagouraga, but feel he is a shoe in for every game. The fact is that we are minutes from our most important match for a while, and probably the most talked about until, the end of the season. Now he has named the team let's get behind it. I hope Cole plays a blinder, and retains his place for Brentford. If he doesnt we can dissect that after, and review it further when the team sheet comes out next Saturday. For now, come on Cole, and COYB. Come on, stick to the yellow gits.
The issues with mick in december were: on 16:39 - Feb 26 with 1784 viewsHerbivore

The issues with mick in december were: on 11:53 - Feb 26 by powinswitch

By fans voicing their dissatisfaction with the dire football served up whenever he went with Skuse and Douglas. By low crowds creating a poor/toxic atmosphere whenever he stuck with what was not working. Then by the injuries to Berra, Taylor, Webster, and Skuse. I do not believe McCarthy would have found a midfield with Diagouraga, Huws and Ward any other way. Now he has he has settled for Skuse instead of Diagouraga, but I hear the latter has been ill so fair enough.

Many People do not see that Skuse is better than Diagouraga, but feel he is a shoe in for every game. The fact is that we are minutes from our most important match for a while, and probably the most talked about until, the end of the season. Now he has named the team let's get behind it. I hope Cole plays a blinder, and retains his place for Brentford. If he doesnt we can dissect that after, and review it further when the team sheet comes out next Saturday. For now, come on Cole, and COYB. Come on, stick to the yellow gits.

He started playing three at the back before Berra and Taylor got injured though, so the change in system wasn't forced on him. Our good run started with Skuse in the side, so again his injury doesn't explain it either. Mick chose to sign Huws and Diagouraga, that wasn't forced on him either. So that just leaves the fans forcing him to change which is, frankly, highly unlikely.

The issues with mick in december were: on 17:27 - Feb 26 with 1730 viewspowinswitch

The issues with mick in december were: on 16:39 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

He started playing three at the back before Berra and Taylor got injured though, so the change in system wasn't forced on him. Our good run started with Skuse in the side, so again his injury doesn't explain it either. Mick chose to sign Huws and Diagouraga, that wasn't forced on him either. So that just leaves the fans forcing him to change which is, frankly, highly unlikely.

I provided you with stats earlier in the thread showing how we fare, both with Skuse and Douglas in the team, and then how Skuse has fared compared with the other 3 who are currently in the midfield 3, over the recent upturn in form. You chose not to reply to that. Some of us believe that McCarthy has stumbled on the formation that has served us so well in recent weeks, you clearly do not.

You know very well we see the same games through very divergent sets of eyes. For what it's worth, I thought today was awful. But this is one of the few games where I believe the ends justify the means, so I am happy to draw this game. My issue is that until the Reading home game, too many games have been awful. Lincoln home and away, Fulham and Derby at home, being examples immediately before our recent good patch. I even thought we were a shambles v QPR at home until their keeper gifted us the second goal, and their players then gave up.

Anyway I am genuinely happy enough tonight. Given the recent upturn, and the fact we have drawn today, I am happy to see how things pan out in the coming weeks. I won't hold my breath on McCarthy producing scintillating football, but if he does, I am happy to come on here and admit I was wrong and out of order.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024