Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I fancy a horse running today 10:34 - Feb 27 with 19459 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

No info on it. But thought I'd post anyway as I really really fancy it.

Took 13/2 this morning but 11/3 with SkyBet still available

Wolverhampton 3:55 - Ninjago

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I fancy a horse running today on 22:26 - Feb 27 with 1527 viewstaximan

I fancy a horse running today on 22:21 - Feb 27 by Ryorry

I take your point Dolly, and perhaps Rommy could add a qualifying comment to his tips along the lines of "only bet what you can afford to lose" - but what do you make of the fact that registered members on this site, before any first team game, get an email from TWTD which says "fancy a flutter on the upcoming ITFC match v. xyz ?

The fact is that this site is funded at least partly by advertising for gambling, whether you or anyone likes it or not - there's even a separate section on betting here.

As far as under-18s are concerned, it's surely up to parents or guardians to keep an eye on which sites their offspring visit. For the adults, vulnerable or not, they're getting encouragement to bet from this site and its adverts itself, no matter what Rommy posts.

FWIW I also think that where staking is mentioned in any posts, it should be expressed via the points system, where it's made clear what each point represents in monetary terms, whether £1 or £10. Some of the sums of money that have been mentioned as stakes on here I find quite extroaordinary - no-one I know in real life would dream of putting that kind of money on. Not having a go at anyone, I just think a more balanced approach would go down better all round.

with regard to staking, i presume that was aimed in my direction ?

surely it is all about affordability ?

i lost a lump on the king george, but i could afford it

i spend a right few quid at chelt, but i save for ages so i can afford it
I fancy a horse running today on 22:31 - Feb 27 with 1502 viewsRyorry

I fancy a horse running today on 22:26 - Feb 27 by taximan

with regard to staking, i presume that was aimed in my direction ?

surely it is all about affordability ?

i lost a lump on the king george, but i could afford it

i spend a right few quid at chelt, but i save for ages so i can afford it

No, it wasn't aimed at you, I was making a general point about this and other threads in the past.

"Affordability" is exactly the point of the points system (sorry!). For some only £1 per bet is affordable, others might not miss £100. 1 point means everyone is comfortable with what's outgoing, and returns or losses will always be calculated proportionally.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I fancy a horse running today on 22:53 - Feb 27 with 1460 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I fancy a horse running today on 21:54 - Feb 27 by JakeITFC

What's your fancy Rommy?

I ended up with a bundle of bets, free bets, ante posts and multiples that all ended with Zarkander in the World Hurdle a few years back (he hit the second last hurdle to rule him out when he looked menacing).

I was at Cheltenham that day, and I can honestly say it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life to cheer it round, and it's one of the greatest sights in sport to see them coming up that famous hill.

Ultimately it wasn't to be for me, and it not winning resulted in me not picking up slips worth thousands of pounds. Bizarrely though, that was a positive moment for me - I was previously a fairly reckless gambler and would have been cursing the air and blaming everyone for my loss. But in that moment I was perfectly at peace - it was a memory for life, and despite the result I knew the bet was good.

So it's kind of a mixed message from me there sorry; a) if you get a chance to go and watch this runner, then please do, because the thrill (high or low) of watching your fancy at a place like Cheltenham will make fingering through form for a Tuesday night meet at Wolverhampton seem like a ridiculous thing to do (because, ultimately, it is) and b) don't let whatever the result is be a negative for you.

Been on Alpha Des Obeaux for the RSA every two days since early November with a little bit before then too

Got £120 in free bets with most of those at 33/1. Got him loads at 33/1 in money and then 25/1

Then 20/1, then 16/1, then 12/1, then 11/1, then 10/1 and now 8/1.

Bear in mind my total Cheltenham (including antepost and multiples) will be about £500, this horse is worth I think somewhere around the 4-5k mark

I plan to watch it even if I have to have a dentist appointment or something at a job I'd have started the day before. But that's only a possibility.

If not I'll be there or at home.

Him placing would get me a decent return as had a fair bit each way when he was 33s and 25s.

I won't let it affect me other than be gutted for a few days if it gets beat.

If it wins I'll take my family out, book a train at my mates uni and some girl out ( not at the same time) and generally have a great few days.

I will spend every day checking racing post and googling his name every day til the race as I have done since Christmas in the hope I don't read the dreaded news that he's out.

Fwiw, I've got It in quite a lot of multis too. And dome a 25/1 and 20/1 double with One For Arthur for the grand national for a few quid as well.

Love studying the Cheltenham races from about November and doing a few quid every 48 hours usually in multis. My only proper single bet is ADO RSA.

Think I first mentioned it on here before Christmas in a couple of threads too

I fancy a horse running today on 23:24 - Feb 27 with 1431 viewsDolly2.0

I fancy a horse running today on 22:21 - Feb 27 by Ryorry

I take your point Dolly, and perhaps Rommy could add a qualifying comment to his tips along the lines of "only bet what you can afford to lose" - but what do you make of the fact that registered members on this site, before any first team game, get an email from TWTD which says "fancy a flutter on the upcoming ITFC match v. xyz ?

The fact is that this site is funded at least partly by advertising for gambling, whether you or anyone likes it or not - there's even a separate section on betting here.

As far as under-18s are concerned, it's surely up to parents or guardians to keep an eye on which sites their offspring visit. For the adults, vulnerable or not, they're getting encouragement to bet from this site and its adverts itself, no matter what Rommy posts.

FWIW I also think that where staking is mentioned in any posts, it should be expressed via the points system, where it's made clear what each point represents in monetary terms, whether £1 or £10. Some of the sums of money that have been mentioned as stakes on here I find quite extroaordinary - no-one I know in real life would dream of putting that kind of money on. Not having a go at anyone, I just think a more balanced approach would go down better all round.

Not sure what you mean by "registered members". I don't get an email offering me a bet.

I think you're missing the point slightly. Phil is ok with betting threads, that's clear. I was just offering a warning/disclaimer in a way - don't take everything Rommy says as gospel, no matter how persuasive he is.

And as I've said, it's not an attack on Rommy. I'm not even sure he needs to post a disclaimer when he offers up a tip - just that he should be fine with people disagreeing/posting caution just as much as he's fine to post the tip in the first place.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

I fancy a horse running today on 23:46 - Feb 27 with 1404 viewsRyorry

I fancy a horse running today on 23:24 - Feb 27 by Dolly2.0

Not sure what you mean by "registered members". I don't get an email offering me a bet.

I think you're missing the point slightly. Phil is ok with betting threads, that's clear. I was just offering a warning/disclaimer in a way - don't take everything Rommy says as gospel, no matter how persuasive he is.

And as I've said, it's not an attack on Rommy. I'm not even sure he needs to post a disclaimer when he offers up a tip - just that he should be fine with people disagreeing/posting caution just as much as he's fine to post the tip in the first place.

I'm a registered member of TWTD as are you, otherwise you wouldn't be able to post here! This means giving an email address. Every match day (or the evening before) I get an email from TWTD saying "fancy a flutter on today/tomorrow's game? Here's a link". Strange that you don't, I'd be interested in finding out the numbers re how many do or don't get such an invitation from the site.

I wasn't commenting on whether Phil finds these threads OK, only on your view that people shoudn't "take everything Rommy says as gospel, no matter how persuasive he is." I sort of agree with that, but now you've said " I'm not even sure he needs to post a disclaimer when he offers up a tip" I'm afraid I'm finding your position rather confusing!

Edit: I'll add that if he posted such a qualifying comment himself, people would obviously read it simultaneously with his actual tips instead of someone else coming along later with a warning that might not be seen before people have put their money down. Plus it might save the same old debate/argument happening every time!! ;)
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 23:53]

I fancy a horse running today on 23:50 - Feb 27 with 1389 viewsJ2BLUE

I fancy a horse running today on 23:46 - Feb 27 by Ryorry

I'm a registered member of TWTD as are you, otherwise you wouldn't be able to post here! This means giving an email address. Every match day (or the evening before) I get an email from TWTD saying "fancy a flutter on today/tomorrow's game? Here's a link". Strange that you don't, I'd be interested in finding out the numbers re how many do or don't get such an invitation from the site.

I wasn't commenting on whether Phil finds these threads OK, only on your view that people shoudn't "take everything Rommy says as gospel, no matter how persuasive he is." I sort of agree with that, but now you've said " I'm not even sure he needs to post a disclaimer when he offers up a tip" I'm afraid I'm finding your position rather confusing!

Edit: I'll add that if he posted such a qualifying comment himself, people would obviously read it simultaneously with his actual tips instead of someone else coming along later with a warning that might not be seen before people have put their money down. Plus it might save the same old debate/argument happening every time!! ;)

I don't get the emails either. Might be something that you need to opt in to when you sign up? I might have unsubscribed as i'm on here every day anyway.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I fancy a horse running today on 23:54 - Feb 27 with 1374 viewsRyorry

I fancy a horse running today on 23:50 - Feb 27 by J2BLUE

I don't get the emails either. Might be something that you need to opt in to when you sign up? I might have unsubscribed as i'm on here every day anyway.

Don't think I'ver ever signed up to them, and would certainly rather not get them as I never bet on footie! Will look into whether I can unsubscribe, cheers.

I fancy a horse running today on 00:00 - Feb 28 with 1363 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I fancy a horse running today on 23:54 - Feb 27 by Ryorry

Don't think I'ver ever signed up to them, and would certainly rather not get them as I never bet on footie! Will look into whether I can unsubscribe, cheers.

You can always unsubscribe to automated emails I believe

On the actual email, select it and then at the bottom of the email there should be a word link saying 'Unsubscribe'. Click it and it should tell you that 'you have successfully unsubscribed'

Login to get fewer ads

I fancy a horse running today on 00:00 - Feb 28 with 1364 viewsDolly2.0

I've been quite clear - if people are prepared to post tips, they should be ok with people challenging those tips or tipping generally. It's not personal against that tipster.

A disclaimer by the tipster is fine but I'm not insisting on it. I'm not the board police. All I've insisted on with the Rommeister is a 'right to reply'.

I fancy a horse running today on 00:01 - Feb 28 with 1361 viewsRyorry

I fancy a horse running today on 23:50 - Feb 27 by J2BLUE

Copied example - the actual email is much larger, with pic in colour etc

"Norwich City v Ipswich Town: Match Betting
Sat 25th Feb 2017
Fancy a flutter on Sunday's match?"

I've now removed myself from the "mailing list", but I think that this unfortunately means I'll no longer get teamsheets, reminders to post my prediction, link to the match reports, highlights via youtube etc. In other words, the mailing list is a catch-all, and that includes betting.

I fancy a horse running today on 00:02 - Feb 28 with 1359 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I fancy a horse running today on 00:00 - Feb 28 by Dolly2.0

I've been quite clear - if people are prepared to post tips, they should be ok with people challenging those tips or tipping generally. It's not personal against that tipster.

A disclaimer by the tipster is fine but I'm not insisting on it. I'm not the board police. All I've insisted on with the Rommeister is a 'right to reply'.

In fairness, I never said you never had a right to reply

I fancy a horse running today on 03:21 - Feb 28 with 1303 viewsBenters

I fancy a horse running today on 20:01 - Feb 27 by Dolly2.0

Given that I don't have any hair, no!

Oh sorry i remember now you had some stuff for your girlfriend in the said rucksack .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I fancy a horse running today on 03:23 - Feb 28 with 1303 viewsBenters

I fancy a horse running today on 21:07 - Feb 27 by Ryorry

Not necessarily - altho it can be for a few.

What seems more of a mug's game, actually, is repeating the same old meaningless cliche on every thread about betting/racing/gambling that appears on this forum - twice on this one - without ever adding anything new, interesting or original.

Great fantastic you never repeat the same crap about gambling do you lolzzzzz

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I fancy a horse running today on 07:49 - Feb 28 with 1264 viewsDolly2.0

I fancy a horse running today on 03:21 - Feb 28 by Benters

Oh sorry i remember now you had some stuff for your girlfriend in the said rucksack .

Can't remember if I had anything in there for her actually.

If you really want to know the contents of my bag, it's usually pretty consistent - a few toiletries, paracetamol, cough sweets, keys, wallet, bike lights and batteries, gym membership card, padlock for the gym lockers, beard comb, gloves, woolly hat, knee support, phone charger, cable and plug, a few biros and a copy or two of Time Out.

So what exactly about this makes me "odd"?

I fancy a horse running today on 08:00 - Feb 28 with 1235 viewsBluebell

I fancy a horse running today on 22:53 - Feb 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Been on Alpha Des Obeaux for the RSA every two days since early November with a little bit before then too

Got £120 in free bets with most of those at 33/1. Got him loads at 33/1 in money and then 25/1

Bear in mind my total Cheltenham (including antepost and multiples) will be about £500, this horse is worth I think somewhere around the 4-5k mark

I plan to watch it even if I have to have a dentist appointment or something at a job I'd have started the day before. But that's only a possibility.

Him placing would get me a decent return as had a fair bit each way when he was 33s and 25s.

If it wins I'll take my family out, book a train at my mates uni and some girl out ( not at the same time) and generally have a great few days.

I will spend every day checking racing post and googling his name every day til the race as I have done since Christmas in the hope I don't read the dreaded news that he's out.

Fwiw, I've got It in quite a lot of multis too. And dome a 25/1 and 20/1 double with One For Arthur for the grand national for a few quid as well.

Love studying the Cheltenham races from about November and doing a few quid every 48 hours usually in multis. My only proper single bet is ADO RSA.

"Bear in mind my total Cheltenham (including antepost and multiples) will be about £500, this horse is worth I think somewhere around the 4-5k mark"

£500 WOW!

As you know Rommy, we went to Towcester dogs on Saturday and I moaned that the cheapest bet I could have was £2. I was planning on £1 a race!
I fancy a horse running today on 08:12 - Feb 28 with 1218 viewsBluebell

I don't get that email about betting.

I do get emails with all the News items though but I think I signed up for that.
I fancy a horse running today on 08:13 - Feb 28 with 1218 viewstaximan

I fancy a horse running today on 08:00 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

"Bear in mind my total Cheltenham (including antepost and multiples) will be about £500, this horse is worth I think somewhere around the 4-5k mark"

£500 WOW!

As you know Rommy, we went to Towcester dogs on Saturday and I moaned that the cheapest bet I could have was £2. I was planning on £1 a race!

how was towcester ?

personally i don't like the idea of the track being so far away from the grandstand
I fancy a horse running today on 08:30 - Feb 28 with 1205 viewsitfcjoe

I fancy a horse running today on 22:53 - Feb 27 by The_Romford_Blue

"I plan to watch it even if I have to have a dentist appointment or something at a job I'd have started the day before. But that's only a possibility."

Being younger, you probably won't realise this - but when you start a job and they ask for start dates and commitments employers generally won't care if you say you have a holiday booked.

Even if they want you to start the week before then they'll still have to let you have Cheltenham week off (unpaid) if you let them know at the outset that it is already booked - although best to just say you are away with family for a few days that week.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I fancy a horse running today on 08:35 - Feb 28 with 1186 viewsBluebell

I fancy a horse running today on 08:13 - Feb 28 by taximan

how was towcester ?

personally i don't like the idea of the track being so far away from the grandstand

Thoroughly enjoyed it but we were with a group of 18 other people so if was good fun.

It was raining all evening so we stayed inside most of the time so the 'distant' track wasn't a problem as we were watching on large screens.

I have to admit when we did go outside we were still watching the screen as it was difficult to see the dogs from so far away. There was no cover outside either so it was quite wet. A shame really as the facilities inside are really good.
I fancy a horse running today on 08:37 - Feb 28 with 1180 viewstaximan

I fancy a horse running today on 08:35 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

Thoroughly enjoyed it but we were with a group of 18 other people so if was good fun.

It was raining all evening so we stayed inside most of the time so the 'distant' track wasn't a problem as we were watching on large screens.

I have to admit when we did go outside we were still watching the screen as it was difficult to see the dogs from so far away. There was no cover outside either so it was quite wet. A shame really as the facilities inside are really good.

so now you have the gambling bug,
see you at cheltenham ?
I fancy a horse running today on 08:49 - Feb 28 with 1157 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I fancy a horse running today on 08:13 - Feb 28 by taximan

how was towcester ?

That's what I said

I fancy a horse running today on 08:51 - Feb 28 with 1145 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I fancy a horse running today on 08:00 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

£500 WOW!

That's far more than any other meeting because i put bets on throughout the year on it

I bet more in the 6 months leading up to Cheltenham on Cheltenham than I actually do during the Cheltenham week.

A few pounds a week since the jump season started August time

I fancy a horse running today on 08:54 - Feb 28 with 1132 viewsBluebell

I fancy a horse running today on 08:37 - Feb 28 by taximan

so now you have the gambling bug,
see you at cheltenham ?

Cheltenham not far from us, of course. Never been to the races there though.

I have been to Newbury, Ascot, Warwick and Towcester horse racing.
I fancy a horse running today on 08:55 - Feb 28 with 1132 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I fancy a horse running today on 08:30 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

"I plan to watch it even if I have to have a dentist appointment or something at a job I'd have started the day before. But that's only a possibility."

Being younger, you probably won't realise this - but when you start a job and they ask for start dates and commitments employers generally won't care if you say you have a holiday booked.

Even if they want you to start the week before then they'll still have to let you have Cheltenham week off (unpaid) if you let them know at the outset that it is already booked - although best to just say you are away with family for a few days that week.

Oh I didn't know that

Cheers Joe

Though when I had the first interview I stupidly said I had no holidays booked when they asked. I think it was nerves talking

I fancy a horse running today on 09:04 - Feb 28 with 1110 viewsTLA

I fancy a horse running today on 08:51 - Feb 28 by The_Romford_Blue

That's far more than any other meeting because i put bets on throughout the year on it

I bet more in the 6 months leading up to Cheltenham on Cheltenham than I actually do during the Cheltenham week.

A few pounds a week since the jump season started August time

I used to like a small flutter on the horses ( a few tips on here led me to my first yankee in years a couple of weeks ago, which didn't win me anything but brightened up an afternoon of working from home!).

I live about a hundred yards from a racecourse but have never been to a meeting. A friend and his brother do the same as taximan and save all year for Cheltenham and treat it as a holiday - winning is great but the money is saved to spend having a great time. I might join them one day, just because it's the pinnacle of the sport.

Are we allowed to know anything about the potential job? I might have missed it if you've already posted details but good luck with it anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024