Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. 12:16 - Feb 27 with 1620 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

the ones issued by private companies? I know a couple of people who say they just throw them in the bin. Am I safe to do that?
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:17 - Feb 27 with 1603 viewsTollycobbold

They are an invitation to pay. You may in return invite them to feck off
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:19 - Feb 27 with 1586 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:17 - Feb 27 by Tollycobbold

Thats what I thought. The wife has just received the third one is as many months... I've paid the others but am a bit pi$$ed off with it.

Shouldn't these signs be lit at night if they want to enforce them?
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:23 - Feb 27 with 1564 viewsBlueBadger

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:17 - Feb 27 by Tollycobbold

Essentially, this.

Although I'd recommend simply ignoring them. They will sod off eventually.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:23 - Feb 27 with 1552 viewsBlueBadger

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:23 - Feb 27 with 1561 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ignoring them is considered high risk since the Govt changed the law, allowing these companies to ask the DVLA for your details.

We've had 3, 2 were clearly unfair by these scum cowboy private companies, so I appealed successfully. The third the missus had parked and decided she didn't need to buy a ticket for some reason, so paid we up, but that was council run.

There'll be first up against the wall when we have the revolution.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:24 - Feb 27 with 1539 viewsTollycobbold

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:19 - Feb 27 by FrowsyArmLarry

Thats what I thought. The wife has just received the third one is as many months... I've paid the others but am a bit pi$$ed off with it.

Shouldn't these signs be lit at night if they want to enforce them?

They are generally on private land so I don't think they have provide lighting. Since clamping was outlawed on private land this is their new ruse.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:27 - Feb 27 with 1519 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:23 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

Ignoring them is considered high risk since the Govt changed the law, allowing these companies to ask the DVLA for your details.

We've had 3, 2 were clearly unfair by these scum cowboy private companies, so I appealed successfully. The third the missus had parked and decided she didn't need to buy a ticket for some reason, so paid we up, but that was council run.

It was a McDonalds car park at night.. and she stayed 28 mins over the allowed 90 so I don't think there is grounds to appeal and it's all legit.

£50 seems too high though so I'm not going to pay it.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:30 - Feb 27 with 1512 viewsoldbluestu

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:23 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

It won't be a problem once we leave the EU.
Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:33 - Feb 27 with 1487 viewsBlueBadger

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:30 - Feb 27 by oldbluestu

It won't be a problem once we leave the EU.

I've heard that you'll be expected to pay back at a rate £350M a week.

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:42 - Feb 27 with 1456 viewsBlue_Order

I've had 3 or 4. Never paid a penny.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:46 - Feb 27 with 1440 viewsSwansea_Blue

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:27 - Feb 27 by FrowsyArmLarry

It was a McDonalds car park at night.. and she stayed 28 mins over the allowed 90 so I don't think there is grounds to appeal and it's all legit.

You could try complaining to McDonalds as they're the ones who instruct the private parking company, and threaten to never eat another happy meal. Might work unless they are really fed up with people using their car park without giving them custom. I've heard of that approach working with supermarkets.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:53 - Feb 27 with 1413 viewsThePitBoss

Don't respond to anything. They will send you a letter every couple of weeks. Keep your bottle and laugh it off.

They give up eventually.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 13:07 - Feb 27 with 1374 viewslegal_blue

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:53 - Feb 27 by ThePitBoss

Don't respond to anything. They will send you a letter every couple of weeks. Keep your bottle and laugh it off.

They give up eventually.

Three points:

1) by parking you are entering into a contractual arrangement with the provider; any instructions or terms and conditions need to be clear, readable and understandable; if they're not - e.g. poor lighting - those are grounds to contest the notice;

2) the cost and bother for the company of suing in the county court, e.g. small claims, is unlikely to lead to a private company taking enforcement action; they likely rely on most people being too scared or lazy to challenge the notices; and

3) as in your case, it's MacDonald's, which is sensitive to its corporate image, you could try a) writing to them to complain; or b) taking to social media to highlight what they do. I imagine the latter would be the most fruitful.

Not legal advice, but some points to consider.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 13:10 - Feb 27 with 1360 viewsSacrebleu

I received one from Liddel £90.. I replied saying I was ignoring their invoice. I got no more letters after that.

As mentioned above the law has changed recently so don't know what the current situation is.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 13:20 - Feb 27 with 1336 viewsNumber_Nine

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 12:27 - Feb 27 by FrowsyArmLarry

I think (so don't quote me), that in order to justify the £50 it has to be proven that this is equivalent to the loss of revenue they have suffered due to your overstay. Assuming this to be the case, you could send them the equivalent of 30 minutes parking fee (or an hour - whichever is the lower that they charge for) stating that you consider the matter closed. The Martin Lewis site should have those details for you.

2∞&→ Science gives me a hadron
Poll: Best Pink Floyd File

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 13:27 - Feb 27 with 1304 viewsThePitBoss

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 13:20 - Feb 27 by Number_Nine

I think (so don't quote me), that in order to justify the £50 it has to be proven that this is equivalent to the loss of revenue they have suffered due to your overstay. Assuming this to be the case, you could send them the equivalent of 30 minutes parking fee (or an hour - whichever is the lower that they charge for) stating that you consider the matter closed. The Martin Lewis site should have those details for you.

Use the loss of revenue angle if it ever goes to court, which it won't.

Had several over the years and never responded to anything. They all stopped sending letters eventually.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 13:33 - Feb 27 with 1286 viewsDurovigutum

I got one February 2016 for parking in an old Staples car park but the store had closed 3 months prior. I wrote to tell them I wasn't going to pay, in line with the appeal "terms and conditions" on the ticket but I didn't include my contact details, just the registration number. They wrote to me 3 months later demanding payment, having obviously ignored my letter. I wrote back, telling them that they had breached their own voluntary code and that I still wasn't going to pay (all letters sent recorded delivery).

They then passed it to a "debt agency" at which point I wrote to them and told them I would bill them for my time at an hourly rate if I had to reply to any more of their letters. The debt people tried to ring, seemingly having got hold of my wife's mobile number from somewhere, but I said I wouldn't discuss anything with them on the phone as I had no idea who they were - if they wanted something from me they write and if they want money they write via the court.

A year on now and nothing further. What I have noticed is how they choose names for the holding companies such as "CPS Ltd" - someone less aware would think that is something else with more legal teeth...

This is all for "private land" however. Don't try this for railways, council land or on street parking fines as these are all covered with by-laws that mean you will almost certainly pay much more for not paying in the first place.
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:01 - Feb 27 with 1209 viewssparks

It is a private contractual claim. Signage must be reasonably sufficient to draw your attention. Penakty does not have to reflect loss. See parking eye v beavis. Many do pursue them. Don't assume they won't.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:28 - Feb 27 with 1168 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:01 - Feb 27 by sparks

It is a private contractual claim. Signage must be reasonably sufficient to draw your attention. Penakty does not have to reflect loss. See parking eye v beavis. Many do pursue them. Don't assume they won't.

Pretty much what I thought. I just feel £50 for staying 20 mins over the allowed time, in an empty car park, is unfair.

Can this affect your credit rating if passed to a dodgy debt collector?
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:37 - Feb 27 with 1142 viewsCaptainObvious

my understanding is that you used to just ignore them, but the law changed and now it's not so simple.

not sure if this page i found when i was contesting a charge helps or is in date? maybe peruse the rest of the site for more up-to-date info

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=56

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:41 - Feb 27 with 1127 viewssparks

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:28 - Feb 27 by FrowsyArmLarry

Pretty much what I thought. I just feel £50 for staying 20 mins over the allowed time, in an empty car park, is unfair.

Can this affect your credit rating if passed to a dodgy debt collector?

Beavis case says they can charge a fee as deterrent. Probably unlikely to affect credit without a ccj

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:46 - Feb 27 with 1107 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 14:41 - Feb 27 by sparks

Beavis case says they can charge a fee as deterrent. Probably unlikely to affect credit without a ccj

ta
Does anyone have any experience of parking tickets.. on 16:37 - Feb 27 with 1033 viewsRyorry

No, but I'm sure they'd be a cinch after parking my great big fat landrover :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024