Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy's hopes 15:02 - Feb 27 with 955 viewsmonty_radio

In Mick's latest reported comments he speaks of a "broken" relationship, and of winning back the fans. Of course, results speak for themselves; they win fans over.

But I note he talks only of "our" relationship with fans, not "my". General perception during the darkest days of January, saw fans gradually nailing M.E. as the ogre while thinking of the team itself as struggling - although there was perhaps a game-and-a-half where team morale was questionable. Mick received a lot of sympathy.

But regarding Mick's own presentation, while supporters might be won round again, there is, to my mind, a failure really to connect. This is the more significant when faced with an invisible Evans and a platitudinous Milne. SBR talked of "the club", but the only face and voice of our club today is Mick's, and he is apt to be genial when not being threatened, but to turn hostile and aggressive if he smells criticism, and to demonstrate a regrettable streak that likes to get his retaliation in first.

In a time when we fret over the club's leaden-footed status and its increasingly peripheral reputation, linking perceptions only to last week's result is a nil sum game when there is a league table that can always be relied upon to give a more stubborn interpretation of the overall state of things.

We are a small team in pool of financial big fish. If that's what it's to be, then we need a community approach, informed and led by a management team that relates to the club and the town in a more holistic way. Certainly better results will paper over the cracks, but if (no disrespect to the big lad) we continue to shop mainly at Forest Green and Loan Rangers, then more community engagement would better prepare for the disappointments that must lie in wait.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

McCarthy's hopes on 15:06 - Feb 27 with 923 viewsDolly2.0

What exactly due you mean by "community engagement"? They already do a lot of stuff in the community.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

McCarthy's hopes on 15:24 - Feb 27 with 868 viewsBasuco

The nodge result does not change much for me, but the performances since the Derby FC game have done a huge amount. The Leeds game was a real pleasure to watch not a win but it was an all round good game to watch. Those stay away fans should now be able to return to Portman Road again with the confidence that win, lose or draw, the performance will be well worth watching.
McCarthy's hopes on 15:33 - Feb 27 with 830 viewsmonty_radio

McCarthy's hopes on 15:06 - Feb 27 by Dolly2.0

What exactly due you mean by "community engagement"? They already do a lot of stuff in the community.

That sort of thing is essentially charitable work. Bringing the town together around the football club is more what I had in mind, especially in regard to pricing structure, a more significant fans' forum; frequent open days with a community focus.

But ultimately, an open debate with the town and the supporters, explaining the base lines and laying out credible plans (not the 5 point nonsense).

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024