Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
how much of a budget increase would it take 21:37 - Feb 27 with 8333 viewstaximan

to tempt MM to stay ?

diagouraga and huws would cost 2 mill combined ish ?

new striker 3 - 4 mill

replacement for lawrence ?
replacement for any other departees ?

unfortunately mr evans, this is not going to be a cheap fix, because of your under investment of the last few years the squad is hugely short of quality

i would like MM to be given the chance with proper money to spend

do i think the above will happen ?

unlikely
how much of a budget increase would it take on 11:25 - Feb 28 with 1934 viewsDennyx4

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:58 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

Between 2009 and 2012 that was still a fair old wedge. And ultimately he didn't keep them in the premier league.

Between 2006-11, Wolves were the 10th highest spenders in the premier league - according to this blog: http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2012/02/taking-the-mick-mccarthys-transfer-deali

He didn't evolve the team, he's incapable of it. He spent the money on average at best (and that's generous) players, if he'd have signed any decent players (which he should have with that budget), then they wouldn't have dropped like a stone. None of those players had any real resale value, or were of any real quality.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 11:00]

Didn't Wolves get nearly £25m for Fletcher and Jarvis, the season they went down?
how much of a budget increase would it take on 11:34 - Feb 28 with 1917 viewsBent_double

I think it was Mick Mills I heard say after the game on Sunday, that the owner needs to sit down with the manager - lets assume it's MM - at the start of the season and make it clear that there is £x million for transfer/agent fees and £x million for player wages for the coming season. Spend it wisely, get us promoted, or at the end of the season I want a large chunk of that money back, so players will need to be sold.

Simple - buy players that should hold their value or have a higher resale value after a season. How hard can it be!!

I would like to think that ME will get the message and approve £10m+ for MM to spend next season, if all goes well crowds will be up, revenue up and before he knows it, he's already recouped £2-3m of that.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 11:54 - Feb 28 with 1891 viewsNo9

how much of a budget increase would it take on 11:34 - Feb 28 by Bent_double

I think it was Mick Mills I heard say after the game on Sunday, that the owner needs to sit down with the manager - lets assume it's MM - at the start of the season and make it clear that there is £x million for transfer/agent fees and £x million for player wages for the coming season. Spend it wisely, get us promoted, or at the end of the season I want a large chunk of that money back, so players will need to be sold.

Simple - buy players that should hold their value or have a higher resale value after a season. How hard can it be!!

I would like to think that ME will get the message and approve £10m+ for MM to spend next season, if all goes well crowds will be up, revenue up and before he knows it, he's already recouped £2-3m of that.

take Bart & Didz out of the current squad (excluding loanees) & you won't have much cash in hand
how much of a budget increase would it take on 12:25 - Feb 28 with 1866 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 11:21 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

Funny that the player he uses to bash McCarthy most is one who made a significant contribution to us reaching the play-offs in 2015: Stephen Hunt.

But I guess that's the problem when you're comparing Champ with Prem.

He did keep them in the PL two seasons running. They were only three points from safety with 13 games to go (including against several of the teams around them) when McCarthy was sacked. They were by no means inevitably doomed in mid-Feb 2012.

Hunt was £3 million which sounded about right.

MM kept them in the PL for 2 seasons, spent the 10th highest amount in the division and they looked doomed when he was sacked imo. They'd just lost 5-1 to their arch rivals. They didn't improve when the owner loosened the purse strings, they got worse.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 12:27 - Feb 28 with 1862 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 11:25 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

Didn't Wolves get nearly £25m for Fletcher and Jarvis, the season they went down?

Paid £6.5 million for Fletcher, sold him for £12 million, Jarvis was between £7-10 million but was undisclosed. It was West Ham's record signing at the time though, which puts the market in context. £35 million was a lot of money at that time.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 12:37 - Feb 28 with 1853 viewsGuthrum

how much of a budget increase would it take on 12:25 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

Hunt was £3 million which sounded about right.

MM kept them in the PL for 2 seasons, spent the 10th highest amount in the division and they looked doomed when he was sacked imo. They'd just lost 5-1 to their arch rivals. They didn't improve when the owner loosened the purse strings, they got worse.

'Loosened the purse strings' - with a net spend in summer 2011 of minus two million pounds? Wolves were a selling club at the same time.

And the match before that, Wolves had beaten QPR, one of their relegation battle rivals. With many of the other teams around them still to face. Couple of wins plus a sprinkling of draws may well have seen them OK.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

how much of a budget increase would it take on 12:50 - Feb 28 with 1830 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

When Milne was doing his round of goodwill interviews the other week, he did say that Evans spent a bit of money when he first came to the club and he could do it again.

It could be some pre season ticket sales BS but I wonder if he will make a decent amount available to the manager. Also with them reviewing ticket pricing and the playing style being improved in recent weeks, are they finally getting it right?

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 13:04 - Feb 28 with 1818 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 11:21 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

Funny that the player he uses to bash McCarthy most is one who made a significant contribution to us reaching the play-offs in 2015: Stephen Hunt.

But I guess that's the problem when you're comparing Champ with Prem.

He did keep them in the PL two seasons running. They were only three points from safety with 13 games to go (including against several of the teams around them) when McCarthy was sacked. They were by no means inevitably doomed in mid-Feb 2012.

" They were only three points from safety with 13 games to go"

They actually only went into the relegation zone on GD when he was sacked. The manner of the defeat was clearly a big factor - a 1-5 home defeat against local rivals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16893189

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

how much of a budget increase would it take on 13:27 - Feb 28 with 1789 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 12:37 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

'Loosened the purse strings' - with a net spend in summer 2011 of minus two million pounds? Wolves were a selling club at the same time.

And the match before that, Wolves had beaten QPR, one of their relegation battle rivals. With many of the other teams around them still to face. Couple of wins plus a sprinkling of draws may well have seen them OK.

He still spent £35 million the 2 seasons before that, the 10th highest in the division.

You can't defend what he spent that money on. And he falls out with one while another gets "homesick" - sounds familiar...

If he's here next season I'll have to find a new hobby!
how much of a budget increase would it take on 13:32 - Feb 28 with 1773 viewsStenvict

how much of a budget increase would it take on 13:27 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

He still spent £35 million the 2 seasons before that, the 10th highest in the division.

You can't defend what he spent that money on. And he falls out with one while another gets "homesick" - sounds familiar...

So are you not an Ipswich Town supporter?

Poll: What will be announced first?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 14:22 - Feb 28 with 1738 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 13:27 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

Who cares about his stint in the Premier League at Wolves? Whilst he was manager there they went from a club with one year of top flight football in a quarter of century to one who had a few years up there and of the back of it redeveloped ground and got a Category 1 academy because of the riches he helped earn them

They sacked him and made a succession of terrible appointments and are now bottom half of this league.

I just can't see how that reflects badly on him.

how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:22 - Feb 28 with 1691 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 14:22 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

Who cares about his stint in the Premier League at Wolves? Whilst he was manager there they went from a club with one year of top flight football in a quarter of century to one who had a few years up there and of the back of it redeveloped ground and got a Category 1 academy because of the riches he helped earn them

They sacked him and made a succession of terrible appointments and are now bottom half of this league.

I just can't see how that reflects badly on him.

The point about his premier league stint is that he spent an awful of money and they didn't improve. Everyone seems to think that giving McCarthy a budget will definitely improve us when at Wolves he had a stinker in that regard.

McCarthy's steadied the ship, it's time for someone else to sail it. McCarthy can't get a crew sailing, just busting their nuts ont oars.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:36 - Feb 28 with 1672 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:22 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

The point about his premier league stint is that he spent an awful of money and they didn't improve. Everyone seems to think that giving McCarthy a budget will definitely improve us when at Wolves he had a stinker in that regard.

McCarthy's steadied the ship, it's time for someone else to sail it. McCarthy can't get a crew sailing, just busting their nuts ont oars.

Why do you give no relevance to his time here and his spending here? The fact that he has done well on an absolute shoe string, the fact that when he was at Wolves he signed players to get out of Champ for low fees, and the same at Sunderland.

how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:40 - Feb 28 with 1659 viewsStenvict

how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:36 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

Why do you give no relevance to his time here and his spending here? The fact that he has done well on an absolute shoe string, the fact that when he was at Wolves he signed players to get out of Champ for low fees, and the same at Sunderland.

I wouldn't bother. I don't think he's ever going to change his opinion even if Mick got us promoted.

how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:47 - Feb 28 with 1654 viewsBlueGuru

how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:22 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

We can see from others in the champ you can drop £50m and still be worse than us, in the prem you can spend £100m and still not be safe from relegation, plenty have failed and spent big so I don't think it really counts against MM.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:07 - Feb 28 with 1639 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 15:36 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

His spending here has been just like his time here - decent until Mings left.

He's done ok here, but it's faded off like it did with Royle and like with Royle, it's time to say thanks and goodbye.

We'll never compete financially, we never have. We've spent millions before - it doesn't work, it's not our angle. We need a manager who's going to nurture our young talent, especially the crop coming through. McCarthy's already fallen out with Bishop, he's a terrible choice to bring that crop through - and promotion MM style hasn't happened since 2008/9 aka 200late.

It should be over! Why's it not over?!?!
how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:10 - Feb 28 with 1627 viewsDennyx4

how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:07 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

He's done ok here, but it's faded off like it did with Royle and like with Royle, it's time to say thanks and goodbye.

We'll never compete financially, we never have. We've spent millions before - it doesn't work, it's not our angle. We need a manager who's going to nurture our young talent, especially the crop coming through. McCarthy's already fallen out with Bishop, he's a terrible choice to bring that crop through - and promotion MM style hasn't happened since 2008/9 aka 200late.

The answer to why it isn't over - is that ME didn't make the decision to spend money on sacking him.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:12 - Feb 28 with 1622 viewsBlueGuru

how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:07 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

Who has he spent on since Mings who hasn't worked ? And I don't mean freebies or cheap 20 grand hopefuls
how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:26 - Feb 28 with 1601 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:12 - Feb 28 by BlueGuru

Who has he spent on since Mings who hasn't worked ? And I don't mean freebies or cheap 20 grand hopefuls

So its down to Knudsen, Ward and Webster under those conditions - they all look decent enough. Lawrence's loan signing has been good, as was Fraser's, but the rest of the signings loan or otherwise certainly weren't. Jury's out on the January signings.

McCarthy's gonna have to the end of the season, we've got 4 winnable fixtures this month starting with 2 home games. Perfect for him to continue the 352 that did so well in February.

But the signs were there at Norwich. He's gonna play Chambers Berra and Smith at the back, Knudsen and Spence at wingback. Skuse will play as a 6th defender... It's gonna be a 631 in disguise...

It's f*cking boring and numbing.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:33 - Feb 28 with 1586 viewsStenvict

how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:26 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

So its down to Knudsen, Ward and Webster under those conditions - they all look decent enough. Lawrence's loan signing has been good, as was Fraser's, but the rest of the signings loan or otherwise certainly weren't. Jury's out on the January signings.

McCarthy's gonna have to the end of the season, we've got 4 winnable fixtures this month starting with 2 home games. Perfect for him to continue the 352 that did so well in February.

But the signs were there at Norwich. He's gonna play Chambers Berra and Smith at the back, Knudsen and Spence at wingback. Skuse will play as a 6th defender... It's gonna be a 631 in disguise...

Don't cry about it.

how much of a budget increase would it take on 17:05 - Feb 28 with 1570 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 16:26 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

Out of interest, how often do you get to games?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:32 - Mar 1 with 1475 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 17:05 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

No answer?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:05 - Mar 1 with 1451 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 17:05 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

How often do you get to Minnesota Vikings games?
how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:06 - Mar 1 with 1445 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:05 - Mar 1 by ClausThomsen

How often do you get to Minnesota Vikings games?

I'll have been to 3 in 4 years at end of next season. And have watched every single game in full in that time.

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:32 - Mar 1 with 1428 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:06 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

I'll have been to 3 in 4 years at end of next season. And have watched every single game in full in that time.

I'm not in the UK but I watch every ITFC game I can, listen to every match, watch every extended highlights, read every report. If there's ever an opportunity to watch every single game in full I'll be up it like a rat up a bagpipe.

You only asked that because you can't think of any young players that Mick's brought through here other than Mings. Because there aren't any.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024