Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This will cause some controversy 12:22 - Feb 28 with 1185 viewsgtsb1966

But he knows that and he has a point when saying the police cannot cope. If ever the government should find the money for more resources it's for this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39112911
This will cause some controversy on 12:27 - Feb 28 with 1144 viewsSwansea_Blue

Was listening to this on the radio this morning - it was an awful thing to say.

If they're under resourced, he's got a choice to come out and say so and request more is done to find the funds and resources needed to deal with the problem. Not sweep the problem under the carpet.

To be honest, given the history of embedded abuse within the authorities, it makes me wonder either what he's got to hide personally or who he's protecting. Or is this Farage- or Trump-style headlining to try and pressure the government through maximum publicity / coercion by media?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This will cause some controversy on 12:29 - Feb 28 with 1127 viewsgtsb1966

This will cause some controversy on 12:27 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

If they're under resourced, he's got a choice to come out and say so and request more is done to find the funds and resources needed to deal with the problem. Not sweep the problem under the carpet.

To be honest, given the history of embedded abuse within the authorities, it makes me wonder either what he's got to hide personally or who he's protecting. Or is this Farage- or Trump-style headlining to try and pressure the government through maximum publicity / coercion by media?

I'd sincerely hope it's the latter.
This will cause some controversy on 12:34 - Feb 28 with 1104 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

'Police chief dealing with child sex abuse tells Today lower-risk paedophiles should not be locked up'

There's so much wrong with that sentence it's disturbing.

Just the idea of a 'lower risk paedophile' is awful.. Like a lower risk mass murderer should still be jailed even if they're less of a risk that another serial killer.

The whole thing is massively disturbing tbh.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

This will cause some controversy on 13:04 - Feb 28 with 1008 viewsDarth_Koont

I have a bit of insight into this through working with a company that helps police forces and security agencies process the avalanche of video and image files involved in these cases and similar.

The caseload to identify victims and the abusers who make and distribute these images is already way too much. We're talking millions of files per case and many thousands of man hours reviewing them. They're already swamped and the number of files is just increasing. The last thing they need is to be targeting users rather than the abusers at the heart of it. And most importantly losing precious time and resources to help identify the victims who are often still being abused.

Heavy stuff but not sure the general public can know much about the right way for these resources to be used. Certainly the men and women who sacrifice a great deal to fight this deserve to have their opinions on the matter respected in the absence of other evidence.

Pronouns: He/Him

This will cause some controversy on 13:39 - Feb 28 with 804 viewsGeoffSentence

This will cause some controversy on 12:34 - Feb 28 by The_Romford_Blue

'Police chief dealing with child sex abuse tells Today lower-risk paedophiles should not be locked up'

There's so much wrong with that sentence it's disturbing.

Just the idea of a 'lower risk paedophile' is awful.. Like a lower risk mass murderer should still be jailed even if they're less of a risk that another serial killer.

The whole thing is massively disturbing tbh.

Of course it is disturbing.

I listened to this bloke on the radio and his point was simply that they have finite resources and there are huge numbers of perpetrators. He wants to concentrate his resources where he can make most difference, on contact criminals.

This seems reasonable to me, but the thing I didn't get was that he didn't say that the lower risk criminals would not be investigated, rather that they should be dealt with by means of counselling and therapy rather than by custodial sentences. Whilst I agree with his premise that with finite resources he should focus on the most dangerous criminals, I can't see how sending low risk ones to therapy saves him any resources in detection.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This will cause some controversy on 13:45 - Feb 28 with 758 viewsm14_blue

This will cause some controversy on 12:27 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

The first part of your third paragraph is not cool.
This will cause some controversy on 13:52 - Feb 28 with 732 viewsDarth_Koont

This will cause some controversy on 13:39 - Feb 28 by GeoffSentence

Of course it is disturbing.

I listened to this bloke on the radio and his point was simply that they have finite resources and there are huge numbers of perpetrators. He wants to concentrate his resources where he can make most difference, on contact criminals.

This seems reasonable to me, but the thing I didn't get was that he didn't say that the lower risk criminals would not be investigated, rather that they should be dealt with by means of counselling and therapy rather than by custodial sentences. Whilst I agree with his premise that with finite resources he should focus on the most dangerous criminals, I can't see how sending low risk ones to therapy saves him any resources in detection.

I think that's due to the nature of these files. They aren't evidence of a crime they are the crime itself so in that sense you could throw the weight of the criminal justice system including police work at each case of possession.

But if, rather than the possession case being followed up purely on its own merits, these files are catalogued and reviewed and added to the ongoing major investigations and intelligence gathering to identify victims and lock up perpetrators then that's probably a better use of resources overall.

The recurring message in this field seems to be about prioritizing efforts and making difficult choices in order to actually get meaningful results.

Pronouns: He/Him

This will cause some controversy on 13:57 - Feb 28 with 693 viewsGeoffSentence

This will cause some controversy on 13:52 - Feb 28 by Darth_Koont

I think that's due to the nature of these files. They aren't evidence of a crime they are the crime itself so in that sense you could throw the weight of the criminal justice system including police work at each case of possession.

But if, rather than the possession case being followed up purely on its own merits, these files are catalogued and reviewed and added to the ongoing major investigations and intelligence gathering to identify victims and lock up perpetrators then that's probably a better use of resources overall.

The recurring message in this field seems to be about prioritizing efforts and making difficult choices in order to actually get meaningful results.

In that case, if there are resource savings to be made that can be focussed on the contact criminals then he is spot on, they should approach it that way. Doesn't even seem controversial to me.

There are never going to enough resources to go round so concentrating as much as possible on getting the worst of the worst seems a good use of it to me.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024