Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? 13:09 - Feb 28 with 8234 viewsSteve_M

Inspired by the Waterstones thread, an occasional reprise for one of the more interesting topics on here.* I'm currently reading the Murhen and Thijssen book which is well recommended for any Town fans but I'm considering what to read next.

A couple of very recent books which I recommend:

Pour Me. AA Gill.
Not really an autobiography but an excellently written and honest account of alcoholism and how he made a success of the second half of his life. It's not a 'look at me' type book or about how he got over it rather that he did. Knowing that he has died since writing it, actually makes the recovery life-affirming.

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9780297870821

Sapiens. Yuval Noah Harari.
A very long-range view of the development of Homo sapiens and why our species dominates the world. It's full of challenging and thought-provoking assertions and arguments, not of all of which I agree with but many of which challenge conventional thinking.
http://www.ynharari.com/book/sapiens/

*Well, obviously TWTD to avoid giving Hoppy a tap in.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:04 - Feb 28 with 2291 viewsyorkshireblue

Blindsided, by Micheal Lynagh.

Former Australian Rugby Union captain and World Cup Winner, who suffered a massive stroke in 2012.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blindsided-Michael-Lynagh/dp/0007568746
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:05 - Feb 28 with 2290 viewsITFC_Forever

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 13:54 - Feb 28 by Illinoisblue

Phil Scraton's Hillsbrough The Truth.

That's one I need to add to my list as well.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:16 - Feb 28 with 2265 viewsfactual_blue

On holiday at present, so light reading. Chiller by Frank Gardner and the preposterous alternative US Civil War novel The Guns Of The South, in which raving white supremacist South Africans travel back to 1863 to provide the Confederacy with AK-47s and Pot Noodles.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:25 - Feb 28 with 2243 viewsimsureazzure

Brighton Rock, Graham Greene.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:25 - Feb 28 with 2243 viewsjpr_23

I've got the Frans and Arnold book on the go, as well as the new book by Jess Phillips MP, Everywoman. https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1113492/everywoman/

I've also got Harriet Harman's autobiography to read. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Womans-Work-Harriet-Harman/dp/024127494X

I wasn't planning to have two female Labour politicians books to read, just sort of happened.

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:33 - Feb 28 with 2230 viewsFtnfwest

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:00 - Feb 28 by HarryfromBath

I am just finishing Arnold and Frans's book but I came across this little beauty the other week. You can read it in one sitting, but it is best eaten in small morsels...

Here's the publisher's blurb, which is good enough...

"Overpaid players. Sunday lunchtime kick-offs. Absurd ticket prices. Non-black boots. Football's menu of ills is long. Where has the joy gone? Why do we bother? Saturday, 3pm offers a glorious antidote. It is here to remind you that football can still sing to your heart.

"Warm, heartfelt and witty, here are fifty short essays of prose poetry dedicated to what is good in the game. These are not wallowing nostalgia; they are things that remain sweet and right: seeing a ground from the train, brackets on vidiprinters, the ball hitting the bar, Jimmy Armfield's voice, listening to the results in a traffic jam, football towns and autograph-hunters. This is fan culture at its finest, words to transport you somewhere else and identify with, words to hide away in a pub and luxuriate in.

"Saturday, 3pm is a book of love letters to football and a clarion call, helping us find the romance in the game all over again."

Just started that. I've got past their signatures!
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 14:45 - Feb 28 with 2214 viewsunbelievablue

A Fan's Notes, Frederick Exley. Tragic, hilarious, self-affirming.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:10 - Feb 28 with 2191 viewsDebsyAngel

Courtney Love's autobiography. It's very interesting, and from her childhood/early life, can see why she is so messed up.
Login to get fewer ads

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:15 - Feb 28 with 2188 viewsMedwayTractor

Game Changers, what else?

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:23 - Feb 28 with 2175 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 13:38 - Feb 28 by dryas

"Stoner" by John Williams. Review here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/dec/13/stoner-john-williams-julian-barnes

After that I'm going to read Phillip Roth's "The Plot Against America" as it seems kind of appropriate right now. http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-frightening-lessons-of-phi

You enjoying Stoner? I thought it was utterly fantastic, but candidate for one of the most depressing novels ever...

Also another thumbs up for Sapiens....

Current reads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/629.Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22733729-the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:37 - Feb 28 with 2159 viewsblueislander

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:23 - Feb 28 by BlueLikeJazz

You enjoying Stoner? I thought it was utterly fantastic, but candidate for one of the most depressing novels ever...

Also another thumbs up for Sapiens....

Current reads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/629.Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22733729-the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet

Re-reading Don Quijote, which will take me months. For light relief, I have Springsteen's autobiography to start.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:43 - Feb 28 with 2151 viewsBluebell

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 13:48 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

I'm reading a book by Judy Marks - Howards wife.

Gotta say it's so boring, it's really doing my nut in but I have to finish it.

I don't think women are very good at writing books.

"I don't think women are very good at writing books."

I tend to agree with that although I do like Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs.

Of course one of the best female authors has to be J K Rowling.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:45 - Feb 28 with 2145 viewsblueislander

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:43 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

I tend to agree with that although I do like Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs.

Probably a decent case could be made for the Bronte sisters, and Jane Austen too.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:48 - Feb 28 with 2142 viewslowhouseblue

the hempcrete book.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:50 - Feb 28 with 2135 viewsBluebell

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:45 - Feb 28 by blueislander

Probably a decent case could be made for the Bronte sisters, and Jane Austen too.

Yes, but their books are classics.

Not sure Lucan would be into reading those.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:50 - Feb 28 with 2133 viewstractorshark

I'm reading The Old Breed by E B Sledge.
Hanks and Spielberg based The Pacific mini-series on it but I'd never read the book.
Thoroughly recommend and very graphic.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:52 - Feb 28 with 2133 viewsblueislander

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:50 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

Yes, but their books are classics.

Not sure Lucan would be into reading those.

You may be doing him a disservice. What about P.D.James?
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:52 - Feb 28 with 2134 viewsDarth_Koont

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:45 - Feb 28 by blueislander

E Annie Proulx, Anita Brookner, Mary Karr ... and those are just the female writers I've read in recent months.

I'd missed Lucan's comment first time around but it's ridiculous.

Pronouns: He/Him

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:01 - Feb 28 with 2117 viewsPJH

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:15 - Feb 28 by MedwayTractor

Game Changers, what else?

Of course,why should anyone be reading anything else-unless they have already read it.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:02 - Feb 28 with 2117 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:52 - Feb 28 by Darth_Koont

E Annie Proulx, Anita Brookner, Mary Karr ... and those are just the female writers I've read in recent months.

I assumed he was trolling, to be honest.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:06 - Feb 28 with 2100 viewsPJH

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:43 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

My Wife and ex Wife(two different people)are into Martina Cole,Kimberley Chambers and all that sort of stuff.
My Wife also reads all of Patricia Cornwell books too.
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:13 - Feb 28 with 2092 viewsRyorry

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:02 - Feb 28 by BlueLikeJazz

I assumed he was trolling, to be honest.

Yes, just a WUM.

Looking forward to Vera Brittain 'Testament of Youth' and Pearl Buck 'The Good Earth', bought a couple of months ago but not had time to get round to yet.

Interesting to read about 'Stoner'.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:22 - Feb 28 with 2065 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:37 - Feb 28 by blueislander

Re-reading Don Quijote, which will take me months. For light relief, I have Springsteen's autobiography to start.

Which translation would you recommend for Don Q?
Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:22 - Feb 28 with 2065 viewsSuperfrans

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 15:52 - Feb 28 by Darth_Koont

I presume it was a joke.

Mary Wolstencraft Shelley, Susan Hill, Patricia Highsmith, Harper Lee, Jeanette Winterston, Bronte sisters, PD James, PL Travers, Dodie Smith, Margaret Attwood, Donna Tartt, Hilary Mantel, Anne Rice, Daphne Du Maurier, etc etc etc etc.

If you can't find a novel from one of those you'd like, its probably best to give up.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:26 - Feb 28 with 2054 viewsFKA_tomtheblue

Book thread: What is everyone reading at the moment? on 16:22 - Feb 28 by Superfrans

I presume it was a joke.

Mary Wolstencraft Shelley, Susan Hill, Patricia Highsmith, Harper Lee, Jeanette Winterston, Bronte sisters, PD James, PL Travers, Dodie Smith, Margaret Attwood, Donna Tartt, Hilary Mantel, Anne Rice, Daphne Du Maurier, etc etc etc etc.

If you can't find a novel from one of those you'd like, its probably best to give up.

Virginia Woolf is for my money the best English novelist by some distance.

Jean Rhys, Elena Ferrante, and Angela Carter are all personal favourites too.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 16:26]

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none
Poll: TWTDs best couple?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024