Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse 15:03 - Mar 6 with 4795 viewsSmithy

Seems he has become the new scapegoat for some of the idiots on here and on the messages. Actually thought he had a good game on Saturday and at Carrot Road, and has been said on hear numerous times it should have been him and an more attacking midfielder with him as his partner, not the constant Douglas pairing. We now have that in Huws and the difference has been massive, yet some still need to have a pop at someone. We weren't great on Saturday but that was in no way down to Skuse, the attacking players were actually the ones who played poorly, i.e. McGoldrick and Lawrence but they are allowed to have the odd poor game. Baffling!

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Cole Skuse on 15:05 - Mar 6 with 3216 viewsKieran_Knows

2016/2017 is the season of the scapegoat (rightly or wrongfully) i'm afraid. Knudsen, Berra, Skuse and Douglas have all shared it so far this season.

I'm sure with 11 games left, we may even be able to squeeze another one in. I'll go for Spence.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Cole Skuse on 15:11 - Mar 6 with 3193 viewsSmithy

Cole Skuse on 15:05 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

2016/2017 is the season of the scapegoat (rightly or wrongfully) i'm afraid. Knudsen, Berra, Skuse and Douglas have all shared it so far this season.

I'm sure with 11 games left, we may even be able to squeeze another one in. I'll go for Spence.

don't forget Chambers until everyone bricked themselves that he might leave.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Cole Skuse on 15:22 - Mar 6 with 3158 viewspointofblue

Our midfield looked at it's most threatening, attacking wise, when it had Diagouraga, Huws and Ward in it. Skuse has been good for us in his time here, and was probably our best player against Brentford. But sometimes attack is the best form of defence and the above three give us better options in that regard.

Nothing about making Skuse a scapegoat; he's a very improtant component of our squad.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cole Skuse on 16:03 - Mar 6 with 3125 viewsKeaneish

He's been my scapegoat for several seasons now despite a handful of noteworthy performances. I'm bored to death of watching him. Delighted he's got competition for that spot now.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cole Skuse on 16:42 - Mar 6 with 3092 viewsbraveblue

Disagree = idiots. Only an idiot would make that assumption.

He was shocking on Saturday. To blame for their goal, refused to pass forward and slowed us down all over pitch. Our best form this season was when he was out injured. If you disagree. Watch him tomorrow when we are attacking and he is standing 20 yards behind watching. And that is with 3 centre backs behind him.

But then he is a proper bloke!!
Cole Skuse (n/t) on 16:44 - Mar 6 with 3082 viewsWickets

Cole Skuse on 16:46 - Mar 6 with 3068 viewsWickets

Yes i do agree with you but it's a pity that Skuse's forward passing isn't great he would then be a real class player.
Cole Skuse on 16:47 - Mar 6 with 3062 viewsLankHenners

Cole Skuse on 16:42 - Mar 6 by braveblue

Disagree = idiots. Only an idiot would make that assumption.

He was shocking on Saturday. To blame for their goal, refused to pass forward and slowed us down all over pitch. Our best form this season was when he was out injured. If you disagree. Watch him tomorrow when we are attacking and he is standing 20 yards behind watching. And that is with 3 centre backs behind him.

But then he is a proper bloke!!

By "standing 20 yards behind watching", I assume you mean "standing back watching the ball and the Wolves players so if they break he can make an interception or a tackle".

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse on 17:57 - Mar 6 with 2998 viewsBackToRussia

Love how you can't criticise a player without it meaning you're making them a scapegoat!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Cole Skuse on 18:04 - Mar 6 with 2977 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 16:03 - Mar 6 by Keaneish

He's been my scapegoat for several seasons now despite a handful of noteworthy performances. I'm bored to death of watching him. Delighted he's got competition for that spot now.

Bang on.
Cole Skuse on 20:03 - Mar 6 with 2912 viewspowinswitch

Cole Skuse on 15:22 - Mar 6 by pointofblue

Our midfield looked at it's most threatening, attacking wise, when it had Diagouraga, Huws and Ward in it. Skuse has been good for us in his time here, and was probably our best player against Brentford. But sometimes attack is the best form of defence and the above three give us better options in that regard.

Nothing about making Skuse a scapegoat; he's a very improtant component of our squad.

I believe Skuse had a decent game on Saturday, as a defensive midfielder. Obviously he also nearly finished off the one decent move we created in the second half, and it's a shame he could not properly connect with that effort.

I believe football is a team game, and the role of the manager is to pick the best team to be successful. Something that successive England managers failed to comprehend when they kept selecting Lampard and Gerrard in the same team. It consistently didn't really work, but as they are two great players, managers tried to shoehorn them both into the same side.

McCarthy clearly believes Skuse is a great player, and he must be one of the first names on his team sheet every week. I would suggest that we have seen during the very successful February that Huws, Diagouraga and Ward was a highly competent midfield 3, good going forward, and decent enough stopping the opposition. I would give that 3 a game or two more, at least, to see how they fare. Unfortunately I don't see that happening as McCarthy seems to want to stop the opposition first, and worry about our forward momentum thereafter. And Cole, for all his great work protecting our 5 man defence, is not somebody you look to for his offensive play.
Cole Skuse on 22:04 - Mar 6 with 2827 viewsEdmunds5

I don't understand it, Skuse is not in there to assist goals, score goals, he breaks up play and covers ground. He is essentially a defensive midfield player so what do people want?

Should he just run forward aimlessly leaving our slow centre halves totally exploited? You look at players like Can at Liverpool, Fernandinho at City, Kante at Chelsea if you like. There job isn't too be an attacking threat, there job is to allow others to be that threat.

La la la Sixto Peralta
Poll: Transfer deadline day or Christmas?
Blog: A Representation Of Stability

Cole Skuse on 23:12 - Mar 6 with 2766 viewsbobfromnewmarket

don't get the whole Skuse thing. For me a midfielder is someone who attacks, defends, sets up attacks, and scores a few goals per season - Holland, Milton, Johnson, Magilton, Dyer etc. Don't get the whole "holding midfielder", "defensive midfielder" thing. Then again I prefered football when it was less complicated ! Old skool football for me anyday !

Poll: What one word would you use to sum up today's ITFC Performance?

Cole Skuse on 03:09 - Mar 7 with 2731 viewspowinswitch

Cole Skuse on 22:04 - Mar 6 by Edmunds5

I don't understand it, Skuse is not in there to assist goals, score goals, he breaks up play and covers ground. He is essentially a defensive midfield player so what do people want?

Should he just run forward aimlessly leaving our slow centre halves totally exploited? You look at players like Can at Liverpool, Fernandinho at City, Kante at Chelsea if you like. There job isn't too be an attacking threat, there job is to allow others to be that threat.

Emre Can has played 107 games and scored 8 goals for Liverpool and Bayer Leverkusen since the 2013/14 season. Fernandinho has played 119 games for City and scored 11 goals in the same period. N'golo Kante has played 138 games for Chelsea, Leicester City and Caen and scored 6 goals in the same period.

Cole Skuse has played 157 games in that time for the Town. He has one goal.

Cole Skuse is not a bad player, and is not the problem. He is a symptom of the problem, which is our manager's consistent strategy to set us up to not lose. Cole's part is to protect a back 5. There's five of them need protecting by the way. He is not encouraged to take the ball forward, hence why he does not offer much in an offensive sense.

Saturday was a disappointing match after a month of much promise, that saw many of us genuinely hope that corners had been turned. Unfortunately the substitutions seemed to reveal that our Barnsley born leopard cannot change his spots. The 3 players replaced were amongst our most creative: Ward, Huws and Lawrence. Let's say they were all having disappointing games. Did we replace them with exciting offensive minded players. You tell me. And also tell me how many offensive minded players we had on the pitch at the final whistle, and who they were. Bet Mick was well chuffed with that point. That's why we are haemorrhaging fans.
Cole Skuse on 06:24 - Mar 7 with 2692 viewsTractorWood

I agree to an extent but also think some blue tinted folk see every criticism as an act of treason and immediately denounce it as scapegoating. Douglas by virtue of his omission has been accepted as poor. Knudsen for me, his positioning, lack of urgency and final ball have been (on the whole) pretty average, watch Bruno at Brighton to see a real full back display. However, he tackles everything and works his socks of consistently. Berra had a poor few games in January but is generally average or above, he was excellent against the scum.

Skuse is the footballing version of magnolia paint, inoffensive, tidy, very easy to watch but ultimately will never offer any spark or magic. He's been like this for years, it's nothing new.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2017 6:28]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Cole Skuse on 06:28 - Mar 7 with 2673 viewsBenters

Cole Skuse on 17:57 - Mar 6 by BackToRussia

Love how you can't criticise a player without it meaning you're making them a scapegoat!

funny that

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Cole Skuse on 06:43 - Mar 7 with 2650 viewsVaughan8

Cole Skuse on 17:57 - Mar 6 by BackToRussia

Exactly. It's about opinions. Most people aren't blaming him for the results, just making observations.

Apparently his "job" isn't to create chances or score so we shouldn't criticise him for the lack of those. Knudsen "job" isn't to score goals but he has more this season than Skuse.

Has he only scored 1 goal in his whole Ipswich career (4 seasons)? And he plays most games. Have we ever had a regular midfielder with such a low scoring record?
[Post edited 7 Mar 2017 6:44]
Cole Skuse on 06:45 - Mar 7 with 2640 viewsBenters

Cole Skuse on 06:43 - Mar 7 by Vaughan8

Exactly. It's about opinions. Most people aren't blaming him for the results, just making observations.

Apparently his "job" isn't to create chances or score so we shouldn't criticise him for the lack of those. Knudsen "job" isn't to score goals but he has more this season than Skuse.

Has he only scored 1 goal in his whole Ipswich career (4 seasons)? And he plays most games. Have we ever had a regular midfielder with such a low scoring record?

Its not his job to score ..

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Cole Skuse on 06:45 - Mar 7 with 2641 viewsKeaneish

That's because they've all been woeful at times. The criticism is rightly justified in my opinion.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cole Skuse on 06:53 - Mar 7 with 2632 viewspowinswitch

Cole Skuse on 06:43 - Mar 7 by Vaughan8

I can only think of one midfielder across English football with a worse scoring record, and that is Jon Obi Mikel. But he has been in a t am which has won the premiership twice, the F A Cup 4 times, and the League Cup twice, with him in the team. So his contribution should be seen in that context. What have we achieved with Skuse in
Cole Skuse on 09:55 - Mar 7 with 2536 viewsPilgrimblue

Cole Skuse on 03:09 - Mar 7 by powinswitch

Emre Can has played 107 games and scored 8 goals for Liverpool and Bayer Leverkusen since the 2013/14 season. Fernandinho has played 119 games for City and scored 11 goals in the same period. N'golo Kante has played 138 games for Chelsea, Leicester City and Caen and scored 6 goals in the same period.

Cole Skuse has played 157 games in that time for the Town. He has one goal.

Cole Skuse is not a bad player, and is not the problem. He is a symptom of the problem, which is our manager's consistent strategy to set us up to not lose. Cole's part is to protect a back 5. There's five of them need protecting by the way. He is not encouraged to take the ball forward, hence why he does not offer much in an offensive sense.

Saturday was a disappointing match after a month of much promise, that saw many of us genuinely hope that corners had been turned. Unfortunately the substitutions seemed to reveal that our Barnsley born leopard cannot change his spots. The 3 players replaced were amongst our most creative: Ward, Huws and Lawrence. Let's say they were all having disappointing games. Did we replace them with exciting offensive minded players. You tell me. And also tell me how many offensive minded players we had on the pitch at the final whistle, and who they were. Bet Mick was well chuffed with that point. That's why we are haemorrhaging fans.

absolutely spot on

Skuse is really a central defender and when Dougy played, he was at best his assistant. They were like Ham and Bud!
At Villa the enforced trio of Dave Huws and Ward showed exactly how a midfield should be playing. working hard together and moving the ball up the pitch. Bring back Skuse and we see sideways and backwards.
So is that MM telling him or is that how he likes to play? He did have an ok game on saturday, mainly breaking up their play BUT Woods showed us how a good defensive mid should play. Trouble with Skuse is that he's very slow so isn't confident moving up as he can't then recover.
MM needs to trust his defense and let his midfield get on with their most important job that is filling the gap between defense and the forwards. Good teams defend with 8 and attack with 6.
Cole Skuse on 10:03 - Mar 7 with 2524 viewsitfcjoe

The problem is, if he is a defensive midfielder who offers nothing going forward then he can't afford to switch off and totally lose Yennaris for him to score when he was tracking him.

There is no way a player in a midfield role - which has mostly been in a 442 - should have such a bad goal record. It heaps too much pressure on his partner to be needed to do too much.

If he is playing in a 3 then you can get away with it - but we've always struggled for balance in midfield because Skuse plays as a 3rd centre back.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cole Skuse on 10:12 - Mar 7 with 2498 viewsKieran_Knows

Cole Skuse on 10:03 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

The problem is, if he is a defensive midfielder who offers nothing going forward then he can't afford to switch off and totally lose Yennaris for him to score when he was tracking him.

There is no way a player in a midfield role - which has mostly been in a 442 - should have such a bad goal record. It heaps too much pressure on his partner to be needed to do too much.

If he is playing in a 3 then you can get away with it - but we've always struggled for balance in midfield because Skuse plays as a 3rd centre back.

Whilst I totally agree to a point Joe, to counter that, could you see anyone else in the side (which I haven't as of yet) who gets about tracking back people down the left and right flank when the wing backs get caught up the pitch? The amount of times on Saturday Spence got caught between a rock and a hard place that Skuse had to fill in to intercept passes etc....

As I say though, I do agree with your point, and one of my issues with Skuse is that he simply doesn't play on the half turn like Diagouraga, so when the ball gets played to him so he can go forward/pass it forward.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2017 10:15]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Cole Skuse on 16:39 - Mar 7 with 2402 viewshadleighboyblue

Cole Skuse on 09:55 - Mar 7 by Pilgrimblue

absolutely spot on

Skuse is really a central defender and when Dougy played, he was at best his assistant. They were like Ham and Bud!
At Villa the enforced trio of Dave Huws and Ward showed exactly how a midfield should be playing. working hard together and moving the ball up the pitch. Bring back Skuse and we see sideways and backwards.
So is that MM telling him or is that how he likes to play? He did have an ok game on saturday, mainly breaking up their play BUT Woods showed us how a good defensive mid should play. Trouble with Skuse is that he's very slow so isn't confident moving up as he can't then recover.
MM needs to trust his defense and let his midfield get on with their most important job that is filling the gap between defense and the forwards. Good teams defend with 8 and attack with 6.

One thing I see with Skuse is that he will play a simple ball ( often backwards ) and then he stands still thinking that's his job done, never thinking to move into space to look for a return pass .

I agree he does a job , but it rarely helps us to move on to the offensive , whether that's down to the player or the manager's instruction , who knows . Being a defensive midfielder doesn't have to mean that's all you need to do if the opportunity is there to move things forward .

When we had the 3 of Ward , Huws and Dave it seemed to work well as a balanced midfield , so why didn't we keep with that midfield ?

With our lack of a real goalscorer we need more from midfield
Cole Skuse on 16:44 - Mar 7 with 2384 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 16:39 - Mar 7 by hadleighboyblue

One thing I see with Skuse is that he will play a simple ball ( often backwards ) and then he stands still thinking that's his job done, never thinking to move into space to look for a return pass .

I agree he does a job , but it rarely helps us to move on to the offensive , whether that's down to the player or the manager's instruction , who knows . Being a defensive midfielder doesn't have to mean that's all you need to do if the opportunity is there to move things forward .

When we had the 3 of Ward , Huws and Dave it seemed to work well as a balanced midfield , so why didn't we keep with that midfield ?

With our lack of a real goalscorer we need more from midfield

That's the most annoying thing about the last 2 games, the fact we didn't maintain the midfield 3 of Huws, Dave and Ward who had performed so well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024