Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What on earth was that last night? 08:29 - Mar 8 with 2047 viewsitfcjoe

As soon as I saw the team, you knew how that game would play out so I put a massive sum on 0-0 (£2).

You can go on about formations, tactics, style - but ultimately the game is about players. Good players win games, and whilst fundamentally I don't think we have enough - if you put 7 (Seven!) players in your XI who are defensively minded then you are not going to do anything going forwards.

How many times were players looking up and seeing no one in front of them? Wolves came for a point and marshalled us well in the first half, before realising we had nothing going forwards so they could be a bit more ambitious.

Before the game I tweeted that this was likely to be torturous viewing and it proved exactly that. A poor game on a poor pitch (What has happened there?) between 2 poor sides.

We've gone from having a mobile footballing back line of Knudsen-Chambers-Spence to Smith-Berra-Chambers which drags the full backs back, who were more defensive players than the weekend, and now 2 sitting in front of them who play from behind the ball. 7 (and a half in Ward) players who aren't comfortable playing in front of the ball was always going to lead to a game like this.

This is where Mick went wrong for me last year, trying to get best XI fit players on pitch with no balance between attack and defence, assuming that players can play out of position and won't play their natural game.

There were a few green shoots of recovery over recent weeks, which gave some hope that things would turn round and Mick could continue here - but it looks like it is over to Evans to try and make a good appointment which I'm not particularly comfortable with. Just a shame Mick can be his own worst enemy.

I had a thread yesterday about renewals, I will most likely be coming out of corporate area and back into stands as can't justify the cost - that will cost the club £3k, and they won't do anything to try and incentivise me to stay.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What on earth was that last night? on 08:33 - Mar 8 with 2001 viewsBenters

I have actually missed going and would love to come back,but from what im seeing and reading (apart from the odd game) i havent really missed anything much this season.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

What on earth was that last night? on 08:39 - Mar 8 with 1962 viewsStadiumofdark

It's the hope that's kept me going.....

But when you see a line-up like that... even hope disappears.

(Hindsight?) - but 4-4-2, with Lawrence left, Ward right, 2 up top may have at least given hope.

May as well have me on the bench as Pitman
What on earth was that last night? on 08:42 - Mar 8 with 1934 viewstextbackup

I could swear I saw you'd put £100 on 0-0.... eyes plying tricks on me lol

Agree on all that. The players didn't look like they had a clue what to do last night

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What on earth was that last night? on 08:44 - Mar 8 with 1912 viewsitfcjoe

What on earth was that last night? on 08:42 - Mar 8 by textbackup

I could swear I saw you'd put £100 on 0-0.... eyes plying tricks on me lol

Agree on all that. The players didn't look like they had a clue what to do last night

I wish - but it was £2.00 I'd written down...!

Lawrence and McG were so isolated, and Ward had to do so much running to try and link play and was just surrounded at all times - it was so predicatable when you saw the team

What on earth was that last night? on 08:46 - Mar 8 with 1893 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Totally agree with all aspects of that post.
What on earth was that last night? on 09:04 - Mar 8 with 1825 viewstractorboy1978

What could they do to incentivise you realistically? I am at the stage now where it's not about money, if the ST was £200 I'd feel exactly the same. i just don't enjoy it more often than not, highlight of the day is a beer with my mates, but could do that sitting in a pub and without the distraction of the dirge on the pitch. Until they can prove there is some substance to their plan and a desire to make us competitive they will not retain/attract new customers.
What on earth was that last night? on 09:07 - Mar 8 with 1796 viewsBrennadonna

It should be a good pitch with all the sh*t they put on it every other Saturday. I think McCarthy keeps it poor to stop good teams from playing passing football.
What on earth was that last night? on 09:24 - Mar 8 with 1722 viewsBackToRussia

Where's Herbivore this morning.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Login to get fewer ads

What on earth was that last night? on 09:38 - Mar 8 with 1677 viewsNo9

From my perspective last night was very easy to predict.

Firstly on Saturday MM brought on Diagouraga and tried to push sideways Skuse further upfield (waste of time)

Then, in his post match comments he said he was very concerned about not being able to 'keep a clean sheet' which I took as saying "so I will try even harder the keep a clean sheet against Wolves",

MIdfield has been Towns problem for a very long time now & I agree playing 3 at the back with wingbacks doesprovide a 7 man defence with no link forward.
What on earth was that last night? on 09:41 - Mar 8 with 1662 viewsSomethingBlue

It was probably the most defensive-looking Town lineup I have ever seen — and while I'm sure that wasn't the intention it was only ever going to play out as it did. I can understand Mick wanting to rest players who needed resting and keep faith with others who had done well ... but he was misguided in not going for something more expansive this time, especially given the current climate and the element of goodwill that had been returning.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2017 9:42]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What on earth was that last night? on 09:42 - Mar 8 with 1643 viewstheipswichman

I'd argue we had 8 defensive players that started that game. GK, back 5, two defensive midfielders. That is absolutely criminal at home to a team that lost 5 (or 6?) in a row.
What on earth was that last night? on 09:46 - Mar 8 with 1614 viewsitfcjoe

What on earth was that last night? on 09:42 - Mar 8 by theipswichman

I'd argue we had 8 defensive players that started that game. GK, back 5, two defensive midfielders. That is absolutely criminal at home to a team that lost 5 (or 6?) in a row.

I was talking outfield players, but yes if you include the keeper it is 8

What on earth was that last night? on 09:48 - Mar 8 with 1593 viewsJimmy86

What on earth was that last night? on 09:41 - Mar 8 by SomethingBlue

It was probably the most defensive-looking Town lineup I have ever seen — and while I'm sure that wasn't the intention it was only ever going to play out as it did. I can understand Mick wanting to rest players who needed resting and keep faith with others who had done well ... but he was misguided in not going for something more expansive this time, especially given the current climate and the element of goodwill that had been returning.

Try Rotherham at home last season when our midfield 3 was Hyam, Skuse and Dougie. That was a game where a certain Leon Best looked like a world beater
What on earth was that last night? on 09:54 - Mar 8 with 1559 viewsitfcjoe

What on earth was that last night? on 09:41 - Mar 8 by SomethingBlue

With Season ticket renewal packs due to go out (presumably) this week, the performance and line up was a suicide note.

What on earth was that last night? on 09:59 - Mar 8 with 1523 viewsSwansea_Blue

What on earth was that last night? on 09:42 - Mar 8 by theipswichman

Mullet was making the case last night that this view is bobbins, as with wingbacks they perform attacking duties.

I'd be interested to hear how Emmanuel and Knudsen got on last night in that regard. Were they pushing on and maintaining a higher line, attacking the space behind fullbacks, getting crosses in? I've seen us use this system twice and both times it looked far more like a flat back 5 than a genuine 352, but we had a lot of defending to do against better teams in both cases. Against a poorer team you'd expect to see the wingbacks make a positive contribution when we're on the ball.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What on earth was that last night? on 09:59 - Mar 8 with 1522 viewsSmithy

It was as obvious as the nose on Micks face that as soon as Huws wasn't available you need to pick a midfielder with an ounce of attacking intent, hence you go for either Bishop or Dozzell.

Hell he may as well have put in Douglas instead of Diagouraga it would have made little difference, in fact i'd go as far as saying that Douglas is infact that little bit more attacking, didn't he used to partner Diagouraga in Brentfords midfield and weigh in with some goals?

The tactical ineptitude is just baffling, if you play five at the back Knudsen can't play wing back he just not a wing back, he's either a full back or left side central defender in a 5, we can all see this.

But what annoys me more is that it clearly wasn't working, yet he just persisted with it, we had 3 strikers on the bench to choose from, could have gone 4-4-2 with Lawrence on the left (he drifts out there anyhow!), the argument that we would have lost it had we changed it just sums it all up for me. YOU HAVE TO TAKE CHANCES TO WIN GAMES!!! especially when you are at home and the onus is on you to attack.

After a glimmer of hope in Feb. and the thought that he may be coming to his senses and trying a change of style and intent we are back to where we were simply because of the negativity that surrounds him. The players have become so shell like that the simply protect what they have and have had any attacking flair coached out of them.

Grant Ward on at 2 or 3 occasions brought the ball out of defence yet no one was busting a gut to get up and support him and showing that desire to get us a goal, so he then has to stop and turn back into traffic as he had no options.

Skuse first have had chance of a shot on goal but just looked lost and then his effort was neither a shot or a pass, he just looked scared to shoot.

Anyways, Arsene whats the time?? Is it 10-2??

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

What on earth was that last night? on 10:00 - Mar 8 with 1516 viewsSomethingBlue

What on earth was that last night? on 09:54 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

With Season ticket renewal packs due to go out (presumably) this week, the performance and line up was a suicide note.

It's going to be a horrible final few weeks of the season, this. The fact nobody is any the wiser about what will happen in the summer just overshadows everything, even any positives, for me. It would be good to have some clarity as soon as we're safe; as Mick has "had that chat" with Evans about next season it should be possible. If he's staying, then it presumably means bigger budget and OK, give him that chance. If he's not, announce it early and then he should get the appreciative send-off that he still deserves.

What on earth was that last night? on 10:04 - Mar 8 with 1484 viewsClausThomsen

Playing Chambers, Berra and Smith at the back is only going to result in one thing. But as soon as they were all fit, this was always going to be MM's preferred 3.

So the relative purple patch of the season was down to MM's hand being forced, it was an accident!

But you can't sack a manager when you're 7 games unbeaten...
What on earth was that last night? on 10:16 - Mar 8 with 1365 viewsitfcjoe

What on earth was that last night? on 10:00 - Mar 8 by SomethingBlue

It's going to be a horrible final few weeks of the season, this. The fact nobody is any the wiser about what will happen in the summer just overshadows everything, even any positives, for me. It would be good to have some clarity as soon as we're safe; as Mick has "had that chat" with Evans about next season it should be possible. If he's staying, then it presumably means bigger budget and OK, give him that chance. If he's not, announce it early and then he should get the appreciative send-off that he still deserves.

The purgatory needs to end, club is already going down the pooper

What on earth was that last night? on 10:17 - Mar 8 with 1354 viewsitfcjoe

What on earth was that last night? on 10:04 - Mar 8 by ClausThomsen

Playing Chambers, Berra and Smith at the back is only going to result in one thing. But as soon as they were all fit, this was always going to be MM's preferred 3.

So the relative purple patch of the season was down to MM's hand being forced, it was an accident!

But you can't sack a manager when you're 7 games unbeaten...

"But you can't sack a manager when you're 7 games unbeaten..."

He won't be sacked, but there will be a mutual parting of ways and I don't think this 7 game run will change anything

What on earth was that last night? on 10:18 - Mar 8 with 1345 viewsSomethingBlue

What on earth was that last night? on 10:16 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

The purgatory needs to end, club is already going down the pooper

Think the best solution for everyone at the moment is for Mick to announce his departure in April. I think he deserves for it to end well; he's a good man and has been very good for us in many areas including the less visible. The club should be succession-planning now.

What on earth was that last night? on 10:24 - Mar 8 with 1310 viewsClausThomsen

What on earth was that last night? on 10:17 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

"But you can't sack a manager when you're 7 games unbeaten..."

He won't be sacked, but there will be a mutual parting of ways and I don't think this 7 game run will change anything

Even though it's getting ugly, 7 games unbeaten at any level isn't to be sniffed at.

2 savagely defensive away performances coming up and we might still be unbeaten after that, then home games against Brum and Wigan...

What a strange situation.
What on earth was that last night? on 11:26 - Mar 8 with 1206 viewsitfcjoe

What on earth was that last night? on 10:18 - Mar 8 by SomethingBlue

Think the best solution for everyone at the moment is for Mick to announce his departure in April. I think he deserves for it to end well; he's a good man and has been very good for us in many areas including the less visible. The club should be succession-planning now.

It definitely feels that way, if we are changing manager we need to give the new guy a full crack at the summer and for Mick to leave with respect he deserves.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024