Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What the heck is going on in this country 09:05 - Mar 15 with 4062 viewsGuthrum

when people think it's clever or funny to put up an anti-jewish road sign? Not anti-Israeli, specifically anti-Jewish. Do these idiots not have family and friends who can tell them how stupid this is? Have they learnt nothing from history?

Tho I suppose if all their friends are on-line American white power loons (where the anti-semitic tradition has been a lot stronger than in the UK far right), then perhaps not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/15/beware-jews-sign-reported-police-mps-

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:11 - Mar 15 with 1986 viewsvapour_trail

Hate crime. It's been empowered hasn't it, by our politicians and our media.

Very unfortunate, but the evidence is all around.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:12 - Mar 15 with 1987 viewsfactual_blue

I would imagine it's a consequence of giving populism it's head. The same phenomenon that tells unhinged people killing people whose politics they hate is ok.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:17 - Mar 15 with 1953 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have just seen this on the news. It's appalling Guthers. Unfortunately though anti semitism is prevalent in the far left as much it is in the far right. Jewish people are totally screwed by both sides.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:22 - Mar 15 with 1935 viewsGlasgowBlue

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:11 - Mar 15 by vapour_trail

Hate crime. It's been empowered hasn't it, by our politicians and our media.

Very unfortunate, but the evidence is all around.

When you say evidence, have you actually looked at the figures regarding anti Semitic attacks over the past twenty years and what reasons are given when they spike?

Iron Lion Zion

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:29 - Mar 15 with 1903 viewsNo9

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:22 - Mar 15 by GlasgowBlue

When you say evidence, have you actually looked at the figures regarding anti Semitic attacks over the past twenty years and what reasons are given when they spike?

Good question but do you believe all the incidents of hate e.g the amount of hate activities in East Anglia against non 'Brits' after the referendum?
Another question is simply are the police equipped to deal with these incidents after all the cuts in personnel & financing since 2010?
What the heck is going on in this country on 09:31 - Mar 15 with 1887 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:12 - Mar 15 by factual_blue

I would imagine it's a consequence of giving populism it's head. The same phenomenon that tells unhinged people killing people whose politics they hate is ok.

'I would imagine'. A good way to introduce anecdotal fantasy to any discussion.
What the heck is going on in this country on 09:34 - Mar 15 with 1864 viewsGuthrum

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:17 - Mar 15 by GlasgowBlue

I have just seen this on the news. It's appalling Guthers. Unfortunately though anti semitism is prevalent in the far left as much it is in the far right. Jewish people are totally screwed by both sides.

In the USA, from whence a lot of this comes - via the internet - the far right is the main driver for jew-hating propaganda (a conscious recycling of Nazi and late 19th/early 20th-century misinformation, e.g. the Protocols).

In this country, left anti-semitism is an outgrowth of opposition to Israel and anti-capitalism, taken to an illogical extreme and fed by some of the same sources as are propelling the hard right. Both have a susceptibility to "alternative" historical narratives (i.e. unsupported by facts).

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:40 - Mar 15 with 1840 viewsNo9

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:34 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

In the USA, from whence a lot of this comes - via the internet - the far right is the main driver for jew-hating propaganda (a conscious recycling of Nazi and late 19th/early 20th-century misinformation, e.g. the Protocols).

In this country, left anti-semitism is an outgrowth of opposition to Israel and anti-capitalism, taken to an illogical extreme and fed by some of the same sources as are propelling the hard right. Both have a susceptibility to "alternative" historical narratives (i.e. unsupported by facts).

"In the USA, from whence a lot of this comes - via the internet - the far right is the main driver for jew-hating propaganda (a conscious recycling of Nazi and late 19th/early 20th-century misinformation, e.g. the Protocols). "

Do not underestimate the strong links between the far right in the USA & the British conservative party when Liam Fox originated 'Atlantic Bridge' which a lot of tories, including Thatcher joined, it was not with US mainstream politicians but with the hard right.
Login to get fewer ads

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:45 - Mar 15 with 1822 viewsGlasgowBlue

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:34 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

There have been three spikes in anti semitic attacks in this country in the past twenty years. The first went from 546 in 2008 to 929 in 2009. The second in 2014 saw a rise from 535 the previous year to 1168.

On both occasions the reasons given by anti semitism watchdogs was a backlash against the troubles in Gaza where British Jews were wrongly targeted for the actions of the Isaraeli government.

The last spike was this year with a 36% increase in anti semitic attacks. This time the watchdogs reported that there was no obvious single cause for the increase but high profile stories of far left anti semitism may have contributed in an "indirect way".

Iron Lion Zion

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:47 - Mar 15 with 1820 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:40 - Mar 15 by No9

"In the USA, from whence a lot of this comes - via the internet - the far right is the main driver for jew-hating propaganda (a conscious recycling of Nazi and late 19th/early 20th-century misinformation, e.g. the Protocols). "

Do not underestimate the strong links between the far right in the USA & the British conservative party when Liam Fox originated 'Atlantic Bridge' which a lot of tories, including Thatcher joined, it was not with US mainstream politicians but with the hard right.

So Maggie thatcher put these signs up? I bloody knew it.
What the heck is going on in this country on 09:48 - Mar 15 with 1815 viewsGuthrum

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:31 - Mar 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

'I would imagine'. A good way to introduce anecdotal fantasy to any discussion.

Tho what is certain is the number of self-proclaimed "populists" who openly espouse at least xenophobic views - Wilders, Hofer, Le Pen, Trump, even Farage with his poster.

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:50 - Mar 15 with 1795 viewsNo9

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:47 - Mar 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

Maybe you can research 'Atlantic Bridge'?
What the heck is going on in this country on 09:51 - Mar 15 with 1791 viewsGuthrum

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:40 - Mar 15 by No9

I'm talking about people much further out than that. Not the Tea Party that Fox (on whom I am not at all keen) was talking to, but the Aryan Brotherhood and the Storm Front website - tiny in numbers, but very noisy.

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:55 - Mar 15 with 1764 viewsGlasgowBlue

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:47 - Mar 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

Ha!

Iron Lion Zion

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:57 - Mar 15 with 1767 viewscaught-in-limbo

I find this very saddening on various fronts. This type of message can often be extremely unsettling for its intended target.

The UK has 25% of the world's CCTV cameras. I'm sure there must be footage out there showing those that put this sign up. That's the job of the Police and I hope those responsible are found.

I think the reporting of this in the media is also extremely reactionary and irresponsible. The sign should have been removed quickly and reported to the Police to deal with. Reporting it in this way just fans the flames of hate to other groups who to date have not been found guilty of doing this.

Here are the comments from Sun readers to the same news:

"No prizes for guessing who did this.
The increase in hatred for the Jews is simply because of the increase of the Jew hating muslimes.
Only islam kill, crucify, mutilate and behead in the name of their deity.
Take a stand. I Slam islam"

"WHY? Jews don't Bomb and crucify innocents. It's obviously Palestine."

"It is obvious to everyone that Anti semitism as increased proportionately, at the same time as East European and Muslim immigration as been on the rise in Britain. East Europeans carry old hatreds with them from one generation to another, and the other religious fanatics we have now got here, use hatred and aggression to all non believers, as they always did in their own stone age culture going back more than a thousand years"

"Something must be driving the anti-Semitism that is growing across Europe. Could it be linked to the growing caliphate?"

"They should put a stick man next to it and it will look like Laurel and Hardy lol. Apart from that from what I recall it isn't Jews that try and blow us up or behead us. I'd give 50 Muslims for 1 Jew anyday."

Very sad indeed.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:01 - Mar 15 with 1741 viewsGuthrum

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:57 - Mar 15 by caught-in-limbo

I find this very saddening on various fronts. This type of message can often be extremely unsettling for its intended target.

The UK has 25% of the world's CCTV cameras. I'm sure there must be footage out there showing those that put this sign up. That's the job of the Police and I hope those responsible are found.

I think the reporting of this in the media is also extremely reactionary and irresponsible. The sign should have been removed quickly and reported to the Police to deal with. Reporting it in this way just fans the flames of hate to other groups who to date have not been found guilty of doing this.

The increase in hatred for the Jews is simply because of the increase of the Jew hating muslimes.

"It is obvious to everyone that Anti semitism as increased proportionately, at the same time as East European and Muslim immigration as been on the rise in Britain. East Europeans carry old hatreds with them from one generation to another, and the other religious fanatics we have now got here, use hatred and aggression to all non believers, as they always did in their own stone age culture going back more than a thousand years"

"Something must be driving the anti-Semitism that is growing across Europe. Could it be linked to the growing caliphate?"

"They should put a stick man next to it and it will look like Laurel and Hardy lol. Apart from that from what I recall it isn't Jews that try and blow us up or behead us. I'd give 50 Muslims for 1 Jew anyday."

Very sad indeed.

Islamophobia is well into the mainstream on both sides of the Atlantic, sadly.

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:01 - Mar 15 with 1741 viewsDanTheMan

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:51 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

I'm talking about people much further out than that. Not the Tea Party that Fox (on whom I am not at all keen) was talking to, but the Aryan Brotherhood and the Storm Front website - tiny in numbers, but very noisy.

Yeah, this stuff is very "alt-right" which I imagine most of the right wing folks on here would very much like to distance themselves from.

A lot of people don't realise how effective some of their dog whistling techniques have been. And it's only getting worse whilst people stick their fingers in their ears and pretend it's not happening.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:12 - Mar 15 with 1694 viewsGlasgowBlue

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:01 - Mar 15 by DanTheMan

Yeah, this stuff is very "alt-right" which I imagine most of the right wing folks on here would very much like to distance themselves from.

A lot of people don't realise how effective some of their dog whistling techniques have been. And it's only getting worse whilst people stick their fingers in their ears and pretend it's not happening.

Very much so. But there seems to be a worldwide trend starting. Geert Wilders may do well in today's Dutch elections, Le Pen will in the first round in France, The far right came very close to winning in Austria and in Germany attacks on refugee centres are up by 500 on last year. And where the third largest party, Alternative für Deutschland, advocate shooting immigrants crossing from the Austrian border.

I don't want to sound complacent but the UK is pretty much isolated from this sort of extreme right wing hate. The BNP and EDL are busted flushes and the Brits think the most extreme political leader is Paul Nuttal. A bloke who dresses like Rupert the Bear with a beard.

We are very good in this country at containing far right and far left extremists. It's probably the reason we remained immune to the revolutions Europe had in most of it's countries over the past couple of centuries.

Iron Lion Zion

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:20 - Mar 15 with 1674 viewsDanTheMan

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:12 - Mar 15 by GlasgowBlue

Very much so. But there seems to be a worldwide trend starting. Geert Wilders may do well in today's Dutch elections, Le Pen will in the first round in France, The far right came very close to winning in Austria and in Germany attacks on refugee centres are up by 500 on last year. And where the third largest party, Alternative für Deutschland, advocate shooting immigrants crossing from the Austrian border.

I don't want to sound complacent but the UK is pretty much isolated from this sort of extreme right wing hate. The BNP and EDL are busted flushes and the Brits think the most extreme political leader is Paul Nuttal. A bloke who dresses like Rupert the Bear with a beard.

We are very good in this country at containing far right and far left extremists. It's probably the reason we remained immune to the revolutions Europe had in most of it's countries over the past couple of centuries.

There's already signs, you just need to listen to people to realise it. As you say, it's global, personally think it's only a matter of time in this now connected world.

What actually winds me up is how decent people seem to tip-toe around it instead of calling it what it is - neo-nazi b*llocks.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:24 - Mar 15 with 1648 viewsNo9

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:51 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

Yes, but wasn't Fox mixed up with some of those?
It wasn't just the Tea party was it?
What the heck is going on in this country on 10:28 - Mar 15 with 1637 viewsNo9

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:12 - Mar 15 by GlasgowBlue

The Right in the UK are extremely good at concealing their presence.
Your post suggest you are seriously underestimating the ultra RW
What the heck is going on in this country on 10:29 - Mar 15 with 1629 viewsGlasgowBlue

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:20 - Mar 15 by DanTheMan

There's already signs, you just need to listen to people to realise it. As you say, it's global, personally think it's only a matter of time in this now connected world.

What actually winds me up is how decent people seem to tip-toe around it instead of calling it what it is - neo-nazi b*llocks.

Probably because the term Nazi became trivialised and over used.

I was in George Square the night before the last Scottish referendum which had been overtaken by the Nats. I stood there listening to speaker after speaker calling Cameron an English Nazi.

Same with racism. Good, decent working class people who raised concerns over their wages being driven down by immigration were labelled racists.

When people throw around terms like that willy nilly it allows the real nazis and racists to go about their business in plain sight.

Iron Lion Zion

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:30 - Mar 15 with 1621 viewsNo9

What the heck is going on in this country on 09:57 - Mar 15 by caught-in-limbo

Very sad indeed.

The UK has a lot of CCTV cameras installed to allow the governemnt to reduce the numbers of police.
The police are now seriously undermanned & underfunded
Where I live they no longer even fulfil their basic functions and complaints to the PCC go unheeded.
What the heck is going on in this country on 11:24 - Mar 15 with 1535 viewscaught-in-limbo

What the heck is going on in this country on 10:30 - Mar 15 by No9

The UK has a lot of CCTV cameras installed to allow the governemnt to reduce the numbers of police.
The police are now seriously undermanned & underfunded
Where I live they no longer even fulfil their basic functions and complaints to the PCC go unheeded.

But when it comes to 24h surveillance, CCTVs are better than the Police, right?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

What the heck is going on in this country on 11:34 - Mar 15 with 1495 viewsLord_Lucan

Am I the only one that thinks the reaction has been blown out of proportion.

Is it offensive in a hate way or just a misplaced giggle that went a bit too far.

It's not as if someone has put up a swastika with the words "Feck off Jews"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024