Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... 09:28 - Mar 20 with 2827 viewsitfcjoe

....About 20 minutes away from Skipton in the Dales.

Any advice for baby friendly activities up there will be good - although am mostly planning to go to cities for a day (Leeds and York which are about 1.5 hours away) and just stroll round where we are, hopefully without phone signal so can leave work behind!

Cheers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 09:36 - Mar 20 with 2449 viewsSwansea_Blue

Baby activities you say?

You could give this a go.

Depends on how hold the nipper is. If he/she's old enough to sit, then you've pretty much got the freedom to do what you want as they are portable. I'd be sticking them in a rucsac and going for a stomp in the Dales. Otherwise you could do a bit of car touring with a stroller - take in some of the usual sites like Malham, Ingleborough, Skipton Castle, etc....

Plenty of suggestions online - http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/things-to-see-and-do/attraction

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 09:37 - Mar 20 with 2447 viewsStokieBlue

Skipton Viaduct is a good picture.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 09:38 - Mar 20 with 2443 viewsRammo

https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/yorkshire/north-yorkshire/skipt

Try something on here, or just walking in the Dales national park is a great way to spend time!

Even when you feel down always remember its just a game.

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:11 - Mar 20 with 2410 viewsyorkshireblue

Just to preface this, I don't have a baby...

Nearby Bolton Abbey is worth a visit https://boltonabbey.com/

If you wanted to have a nice stroll, I'd recommend visiting Malham, and in particular Malham Cove, which is about half an hour away from Skipton http://www.malhamdale.com/cove.htm

There are various farms around, such as Big Cow, Little Sheep farm in Bedale http://www.bigsheeplittlecow.co.uk/

Finally, not been myself but I know my friends with children visit The Forbidden Corner http://www.theforbiddencorner.co.uk/
Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:12 - Mar 20 with 2400 viewsm14_blue

Just switch your phone off and say you had no signal.

Works every time.

I'm dead unlucky with the amount of signal blackspots I end up in...
[Post edited 20 Mar 2017 10:13]
Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:25 - Mar 20 with 2376 viewsMJallday

https://www.wensleydale.co.uk/visit/

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:42 - Mar 20 with 2351 viewsITFC_Forever

Not sure how far away this is from where you are going, but what's he like with steam trains?

https://www.nymr.co.uk/

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 11:17 - Mar 20 with 2304 viewsGuthrum

If your baby is still portable (i.e. in one of those harness things so you can use your own legs, rather than a buggy or walking), then Malham Cove/Malham Tarn/Gordale Scar are very picturesque, with not a vastly long walk.

Likewise Aysgarth Force, series of waterfalls.

Horton in Ribblesdale.

The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (on which the original Railway Children was filmed) up to Haworth and Bronte country.

Harrogate (old spa town) is worth a visit, as is Knaresborough (viaduct, castle, Old Mother Shipton's Cave) a bit beyond, also Brimham Rocks (if you like oddly-shaped rocks).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 11:22 - Mar 20 with 2286 viewsMedwayTractor

https://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/

in Pateley Bridge

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 11:35 - Mar 20 with 2262 viewsStokieBlue

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 11:17 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

If your baby is still portable (i.e. in one of those harness things so you can use your own legs, rather than a buggy or walking), then Malham Cove/Malham Tarn/Gordale Scar are very picturesque, with not a vastly long walk.

Likewise Aysgarth Force, series of waterfalls.

Horton in Ribblesdale.

The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (on which the original Railway Children was filmed) up to Haworth and Bronte country.

Harrogate (old spa town) is worth a visit, as is Knaresborough (viaduct, castle, Old Mother Shipton's Cave) a bit beyond, also Brimham Rocks (if you like oddly-shaped rocks).

Malham Cove is great.

Used to be a waterfall bigger than Niagara falls.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 11:44 - Mar 20 with 2237 viewsGuthrum

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 11:35 - Mar 20 by StokieBlue

Malham Cove is great.

Used to be a waterfall bigger than Niagara falls.

SB

The limestone pavement above is quite something, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 11:54 - Mar 20 with 2224 viewsLord_Lucan

Take a coat and phrase book.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 12:00 - Mar 20 with 2200 viewsNo9

Railway museum in York is worth a visit
Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 13:30 - Mar 20 with 2141 viewsRyorry

Which side of Skipton? If on the E, wonderful Yorkshire coast is only a couple of hours drive away - long sandy beaches (recommend Filey if you have a dog) or craggy coves & historic towns like (from N. to S) Runswick Bay (brilliant), Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, all with the grandeur of the N. Yorks Moors NP behind them.

I'd say a must-see is the Ribbleshead Viaduct - and as well as getting an idea of just how impressive a structure it is from the ground, suggest a Settle-Carlisle steam train trip to experience the thrill of travelling it "over the top"! NB at least partially closed 22nd-30th March to allow for repairs after landslip.

http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/

If you're self catering, or wanting to buy lunchtime snacks or just grab a cuppa, this extraordinary shop is my absolute favourite for miles around - huge array of fresh local food and goods at reasonable prices, friendly and helpful staff & service -

https://keelhamfarmshop.co.uk/pages/skipton

As well as the excellent suggestions by others. If you're travelling around and have literary interests, the Bronte Parsonage at Haworth is also well worth a visit.

When are you going? The weather is absolutely dire at the mo!

Edit: also found this - http://kwvr.co.uk/flying-scotsman-experience/
[Post edited 20 Mar 2017 13:47]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 09:06 - Mar 21 with 2031 viewsitfcjoe

Thanks to everyone for their helpful ideas and suggestions - will give me something to look into over the weekend....

To answer the Qs raised, in no particular order...

Going at end of April
Boy will be 6 months old so will be in a sling whilst we walk round some nice walks and buggy for any town/city trips
Are in a little village called Airton, which is close to malham and about 30 mins North-West of Skipton in the Dales

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:13 - Mar 21 with 1982 viewshoppy

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 09:06 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Thanks to everyone for their helpful ideas and suggestions - will give me something to look into over the weekend....

Going at end of April
Boy will be 6 months old so will be in a sling whilst we walk round some nice walks and buggy for any town/city trips
Are in a little village called Airton, which is close to malham and about 30 mins North-West of Skipton in the Dales

Some very nice places around there - although I've not been up there for a number of years now, some great walking, though. When Yasmin was little we had a rucksack with a baby seat on it, but I think she was a bit older than 6 months, and sitting up on her own more. Not sure if we've still got it in the loft, or if we sold it. Was good for when we did some walking (although it was me having to carry her!)
Sorry for disturbing you at the traffic lights last night, but thanks for the heads up about parking outside - I hadn't realised that.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:15 - Mar 21 with 1977 viewsitfcjoe

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:13 - Mar 21 by hoppy

Some very nice places around there - although I've not been up there for a number of years now, some great walking, though. When Yasmin was little we had a rucksack with a baby seat on it, but I think she was a bit older than 6 months, and sitting up on her own more. Not sure if we've still got it in the loft, or if we sold it. Was good for when we did some walking (although it was me having to carry her!)
Sorry for disturbing you at the traffic lights last night, but thanks for the heads up about parking outside - I hadn't realised that.

I have a BabyBjorn thing that my sister gave me that works well for walks - although gets a bit hot wearing it!

I wasn't expecting to see someone at my window at the lights last night so probably looked a bit shocked - did you enjoy the game? The parking is handy for those games

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:41 - Mar 21 with 1950 viewshoppy

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:15 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

I have a BabyBjorn thing that my sister gave me that works well for walks - although gets a bit hot wearing it!

I wasn't expecting to see someone at my window at the lights last night so probably looked a bit shocked - did you enjoy the game? The parking is handy for those games

Yes, it was good. Nice to watch a game with less pressure. Shame Freddie couldn't have put at least one of his chances away, as a goal, even in the under 23s would help his confidence.

I was a little late, as rather than just me and Yasmin coming straight there when we saw you, the eldest lad said he wanted to come too, so had to go and get him first. We left just before the end, as Yasmin needed the loo, and they were both getting cold too, so decided we'd head on home, but I thought there were some decent performances from a few of them. I don't know why, but I had a feeling Pitman wasn't going to score from the spot, but was glad he got the goal so soon after it.

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 12:05 - Mar 21 with 1920 viewsitfcjoe

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 10:41 - Mar 21 by hoppy

Yes, it was good. Nice to watch a game with less pressure. Shame Freddie couldn't have put at least one of his chances away, as a goal, even in the under 23s would help his confidence.

I was a little late, as rather than just me and Yasmin coming straight there when we saw you, the eldest lad said he wanted to come too, so had to go and get him first. We left just before the end, as Yasmin needed the loo, and they were both getting cold too, so decided we'd head on home, but I thought there were some decent performances from a few of them. I don't know why, but I had a feeling Pitman wasn't going to score from the spot, but was glad he got the goal so soon after it.

You probably missed Sears miss a sitter at the end then - as he somehow contrived to head the ball backwards from the edge of the 6 yard box!

In a quieter crowd, you notice how horrible Pitman must be to play with - lays into everyone and is lazy!

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 12:32 - Mar 21 with 1895 viewshoppy

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 12:05 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

You probably missed Sears miss a sitter at the end then - as he somehow contrived to head the ball backwards from the edge of the 6 yard box!

In a quieter crowd, you notice how horrible Pitman must be to play with - lays into everyone and is lazy!

Yes, I think I missed that, but there had been one earlier that I thought he was bound to score, but easier for me to say, perhaps. Re your last point, yes - he does seem a moaner, blaming everyone but himself. He wouldn't be out of place in the stands for that, to be fair!

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 21:14 - Mar 21 with 1816 viewsRyorry

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 09:06 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Going at end of April

Started at 9pm on C5 - 'Yorkshire, a Year in the Wild' - looks at both Dales and NYMoors NPs, season by season. Spectacular photography, might help you decide which bits to visit?

1/4, season by season.

I think C5 have a +1/? if you want to start in 3/4 hr

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 21:22 - Mar 21 with 1798 viewsunstableblue

Going at end of April

Hebden bridge is a great town with good food and arty feel.

Around Clapham and ingleborough caves is a must.

Have fun.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 21:57 - Mar 21 with 1770 viewslloydy84

I think you'll pass through Gargrave.

Went up there last February, into a pub called The Masons Arms.

As we entered there was a very drunk woman being held up by her friends, they let her go and she fell to the floor face first.

Ordered food and it was great. A proper steak pie. Barmaid was a bit tipsy I think, rocking a bit, but was really nice and everyone loved the food.
Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 23:52 - Mar 21 with 1720 viewshoppy

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 21:57 - Mar 21 by lloydy84

I think you'll pass through Gargrave.

Went up there last February, into a pub called The Masons Arms.

As we entered there was a very drunk woman being held up by her friends, they let her go and she fell to the floor face first.

Ordered food and it was great. A proper steak pie. Barmaid was a bit tipsy I think, rocking a bit, but was really nice and everyone loved the food.

Shame we didn't know at the time - you could've passed on our regards to Ryorry...

Ended up booking North Yorkshire for a little break..... on 00:04 - Mar 22 with 1703 viewsStNeotsBlue

If you find yourself anywhere near Gt. Ayton take the time to go to Suggitt's, best ice cream I've had in this country.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024