Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Martin McGuiness has passed then 06:25 - Mar 21 with 10098 viewsjeera

Ill health possibly paid a large part in his stepping down.

There'll be mixed feelings no doubt on his death.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 6:29]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:55 - Mar 21 with 1554 viewsreusersfreekicks

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 07:16 - Mar 21 by taximan

both terrorists

or freedom fighters as the trendy like to call them

the world is a better place without the both of them

imo

Your ignorance knows no bounds
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 14:23 - Mar 21 with 1517 viewsBinner

If nobody else is taking the tap-in, I'll do it...

"So Martin McGuiness has passed then"

...More than Berra has managed all season.

Boom, boom!

I'll see myself out.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 16:13 - Mar 21 with 1461 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 07:16 - Mar 21 by taximan

both terrorists

or freedom fighters as the trendy like to call them

the world is a better place without the both of them

imo

Did you just call nelson Mandela a terrorist?

Or have I read that wrong?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:31 - Mar 21 with 1409 viewstaximan

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 16:13 - Mar 21 by The_Romford_Blue

Did you just call nelson Mandela a terrorist?

Or have I read that wrong?

yes

imo
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:34 - Mar 21 with 1407 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:31 - Mar 21 by taximan

yes

imo

Blimey

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:37 - Mar 21 with 1391 viewstaximan

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:34 - Mar 21 by The_Romford_Blue

Blimey

what would you describe him and his umkhonto buddies as then ?
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:40 - Mar 21 with 1388 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:37 - Mar 21 by taximan

what would you describe him and his umkhonto buddies as then ?

No idea

That's the first time I've ever heard him be described as a terrorist though.

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:43 - Mar 21 with 1371 viewstaximan

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:40 - Mar 21 by The_Romford_Blue

No idea

umkhonto we sizwe

do some research

eyeopening
Login to get fewer ads

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:45 - Mar 21 with 1368 viewsjeera

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:43 - Mar 21 by taximan

umkhonto we sizwe

do some research

eyeopening

You really should.

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:48 - Mar 21 with 1339 viewsBenters

No idea

Really ? Ive seen it loads of times .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:50 - Mar 21 with 1344 viewsjeera

No idea

Many people to this day still believe that black people are inferior, and that it was OK for them to be treated like dirt and trampled upon as a matter of course. In their own land at that.

Also trying to meet the oppressor on the political stage was outlawed and peaceful protest met with guns.

If after decades of campaigning you become desperate enough to take drastic action you are labelled a terrorist.

By some.

It's really bizarre.

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:51 - Mar 21 with 1320 viewsBenters

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:50 - Mar 21 by jaykay

i expect you hold churchill in the highest esteem.
he did a lot of terrible things also alot of good,like McGuiness.

Jeez what a load of bolox !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 18:50 - Mar 21 with 1296 viewsHerbivore

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 17:51 - Mar 21 by Benters

Jeez what a load of bolox !

I'm guessing you're not aware of some of the things Churchill's fingerprints are on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 20:03 - Mar 21 with 1253 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 08:59 - Mar 21 by factual_blue

All tthis stuff is complicated and best left to those with a decent grasp of Irish history which don't have. I think it's fair to say that the British have a long history of poor behaviour in Ireland.

Have a read about Cromwell, Henry Hugh Tudor and Bloody Sunday 1920, Derek Wilfred and Bloody Sunday 1972.

Terrorism has context. I don't seek to either condone or condemn it, just to point out all these things are a bit more nuanced.

How far do you want to go back? Lets blame the Romans shall we for enslaving the known World. In Ireland's case it was pillaged by the Vikings and conquered by the Normans (who enslaved England first) so before you go all dewy eyed about how nasty Cromwell and the Tudors were to the Irish, remember they were pretty awful to their own people too.
McGuinness and the IRA produced more atrocities in living memory, ie modern times for a united Ireland. They could not militarily ever beat the UK state and instead resorting to bombing mainland England soft targets like Birmingham pubs, Hyde Park, Manchester Shopping Centre and many others. Sniping and blowing up British Soldiers who had gone originally to protect the Nationalists/Catholics from the Unionist majority in the North. The likes of Sturgeon and Salmond want a free and united Scotland (some of us would like to see an independent England too) but the SNP would not seek to achieve their aims by bombing, shooting and killing for their cause when the majority have voted differently to you. McGuinness did change his tact eventually and it was to his credit he did but he did so because he knew the IRA would never win militarily and all conflicts are eventually ended by talking and diplomacy.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:40 - Mar 21 with 1213 viewsRyorry

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 08:06 - Mar 21 by Parmigiano

The platform and influence over the IRA he had during the peace negotiations would not have existed had he not been a leader of hate, murder and delusion in the first place. Too little, too late.

Yes Mandela was a terrorist by definition but the context was entirely different.

Quite. There would have been no need for a peace process or reconciliation had McGuinness & his like not committed atrocities in the first place.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:41 - Mar 21 with 1207 viewsHerbivore

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:40 - Mar 21 by Ryorry

Quite. There would have been no need for a peace process or reconciliation had McGuinness & his like not committed atrocities in the first place.

It's not really as simple as that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:43 - Mar 21 with 1197 viewsjaykay

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 18:50 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

I'm guessing you're not aware of some of the things Churchill's fingerprints are on.

this.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:45 - Mar 21 with 1193 viewsDarth_Koont

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:40 - Mar 21 by Ryorry

Equally, there wouldn't have been a need for peace or reconciliation if there hadn't been a war to fight in the first place.

That's's easy to overlook if we never felt it was our war (or indeed a war in the first place).

Pronouns: He/Him

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:46 - Mar 21 with 1184 viewsBluefish

No idea

It is usually the name for people that blow things up and kill people to get what they want

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:50 - Mar 21 with 1176 viewsRyorry

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:38 - Mar 21 by Binner

“The fact is that five years ago I was, as near as possible, a different person to what I am tonight" - Siegfried Sassoon, though might apply to any of us, including Martin McGuinness.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2017 0:46]

So why did he never apologise to any of the victims who survived, or to the families of those he murdered?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:54 - Mar 21 with 1162 viewsRyorry

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 21:45 - Mar 21 by Darth_Koont

Equally, there wouldn't have been a need for peace or reconciliation if there hadn't been a war to fight in the first place.

That's's easy to overlook if we never felt it was our war (or indeed a war in the first place).

I know, but other options than murdering civilians in cold blood & without any warning were available, as was eventually proved.

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 22:57 - Mar 21 with 1129 viewsgtsb1966

No idea

From wicki Rommy. P.s...The Americans had him on their terrorist list up until 2008 but that was mainly due to the ANC and it's communist links. In June 1961, Mandela sent a letter to South African newspapers warning the government that a campaign of sabotage would be launched unless the government agreed to call for a national constitutional convention.[6] Beginning on 16 December 1961, the campaign by Umkhonto we Sizwe with Mandela as its leader, was launched, with bomb attacks on government targets and planned for possible guerrilla warfare.[7] The first target of the campaign was an electricity sub-station. Umkhonto we Sizwe undertook other acts of sabotage in the next eighteen months. The government alleged more acts of sabotage had been carried out and at the Rivonia Trial the accused would be charged with 193 acts of sabotage in total.[8] The sabotage included attacks on government posts, machines and power facilities, and crop burning.[6]
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 23:04 - Mar 21 with 1099 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 22:57 - Mar 21 by gtsb1966

From wicki Rommy. P.s...The Americans had him on their terrorist list up until 2008 but that was mainly due to the ANC and it's communist links. In June 1961, Mandela sent a letter to South African newspapers warning the government that a campaign of sabotage would be launched unless the government agreed to call for a national constitutional convention.[6] Beginning on 16 December 1961, the campaign by Umkhonto we Sizwe with Mandela as its leader, was launched, with bomb attacks on government targets and planned for possible guerrilla warfare.[7] The first target of the campaign was an electricity sub-station. Umkhonto we Sizwe undertook other acts of sabotage in the next eighteen months. The government alleged more acts of sabotage had been carried out and at the Rivonia Trial the accused would be charged with 193 acts of sabotage in total.[8] The sabotage included attacks on government posts, machines and power facilities, and crop burning.[6]

Blimey

They don't teach you that in school

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 23:08 - Mar 21 with 1086 viewsBluefish

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 23:04 - Mar 21 by The_Romford_Blue

Blimey

They don't teach you that in school

It was worse than that. If you really want to blow your mind look up what his wife was up to

I know someone took the piss mentioning it but I massively recommend reading his book. It is not a quick read but it is excellent. The film is sh*t though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 23:11 - Mar 21 with 1072 viewsgtsb1966

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 23:08 - Mar 21 by Bluefish

It was worse than that. If you really want to blow your mind look up what his wife was up to

I know someone took the piss mentioning it but I massively recommend reading his book. It is not a quick read but it is excellent. The film is sh*t though

As Truce has said Rommy here's a wicki piece on Winnie Mandela. A controversial activist, she remains popular among her supporters, who refer to her as the 'Mother of the Nation', yet reviled by others after the South African Truth and Reconciliation commission found that she had personally been responsible for the murder, torture, abduction and assault of numerous men, women and children, as well as indirectly responsible for an even larger number of such crimes.[5]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024