Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans.... 12:24 - Mar 21 with 1497 viewsitfcjoe

......when you look at what he does his ownership is very similar to Mike Ashley's at Newcastle.

Put money in initially, cut it back when things aren't working, plaster name all across the stadium and shirt, not really have a clue how to run a football club and be massively out of touch with the fan base.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans.... on 12:26 - Mar 21 with 1468 viewspointofblue

I disagree - Ashley tends to press the panic button and supply funds when it all goes wrong. After promotion he forgets about how it all went wrong and the circle starts again.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Marcus Evans.... on 12:29 - Mar 21 with 1436 viewsJ2BLUE

Trouble is we have few saleable assets to get money to reinvest. Newcastle had a squad full of quality at this level and parachute payments to spend. We have a poor squad, no investment and the players that are sold dont get adequately replaced. This is our 'investment plan'. If Evans had said relegation strategy I don't think anyone would disagree.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Marcus Evans.... on 12:31 - Mar 21 with 1422 viewshype313

And employ dim witted mouthpieces to take his flak.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Marcus Evans.... on 12:31 - Mar 21 with 1416 viewspointofblue

Marcus Evans.... on 12:31 - Mar 21 by hype313

And employ dim witted mouthpieces to take his flak.

Mike Ashley seems to be dim witted himself, to be fair.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Marcus Evans.... on 12:38 - Mar 21 with 1373 viewsBluefish

A fair comparison

I wonder what Marcus is like at downing a pint?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Marcus Evans.... on 12:40 - Mar 21 with 1350 viewsbritbiker

Marcus Evans.... on 12:31 - Mar 21 by pointofblue

Mike Ashley seems to be dim witted himself, to be fair.

But in fairness to them they are both a damn sight richer than all of us. I work my nuts off just to pay the bills. So I guess I'm the dim witted one and frustratingly maybe they are cleverer than we give credit.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 13:00]
Marcus Evans.... on 12:41 - Mar 21 with 1344 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans.... on 12:38 - Mar 21 by Bluefish

A fair comparison

I wonder what Marcus is like at downing a pint?

Of non-alcoholic beer as he later claimed when in trouble for drinking in view of the pitch....

Marcus Evans.... on 12:59 - Mar 21 with 1265 viewsGuthrum

Marcus Evans.... on 12:40 - Mar 21 by britbiker

But in fairness to them they are both a damn sight richer than all of us. I work my nuts off just to pay the bills. So I guess I'm the dim witted one and frustratingly maybe they are cleverer than we give credit.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 13:00]

Successful businessmen do to some extent make their own luck, positioning themselves in the right place at the right time, spotting opportunities and having the gift of the gab (salesmanship, getting permission to do stuff and, crucially, persuading other people to lend them money to finance their plans).

However, that element of chance is still there - gaps in the provision, unexploited marketplaces, new technologies, favourable economic conditions, cheaper labour or raw materials. Without those, the likelihood of prospering is limited.

So it is a combination of cleverness and good fortune.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans.... on 13:07 - Mar 21 with 1208 viewsbritbiker

Marcus Evans.... on 12:59 - Mar 21 by Guthrum

Successful businessmen do to some extent make their own luck, positioning themselves in the right place at the right time, spotting opportunities and having the gift of the gab (salesmanship, getting permission to do stuff and, crucially, persuading other people to lend them money to finance their plans).

However, that element of chance is still there - gaps in the provision, unexploited marketplaces, new technologies, favourable economic conditions, cheaper labour or raw materials. Without those, the likelihood of prospering is limited.

And also having the balls to gamble everything (albeit sometimes with other people's money and limited liability companies). Most of us would like to be richer but wouldn't be prepared to risk everything. I have seen several opportunities that over time would have made me money, but I wasn't prepared and also wasn't at the right position in my life, to risk everything. Agree though that timing and circumstances are also vital
Marcus Evans.... on 13:14 - Mar 21 with 1169 viewsGuthrum

Marcus Evans.... on 13:07 - Mar 21 by britbiker

And also having the balls to gamble everything (albeit sometimes with other people's money and limited liability companies). Most of us would like to be richer but wouldn't be prepared to risk everything. I have seen several opportunities that over time would have made me money, but I wasn't prepared and also wasn't at the right position in my life, to risk everything. Agree though that timing and circumstances are also vital

Almost always with other people's money. However, it's the difference between knowing the odds are tilted in your favour (as far as you can arrange it, plus favourable timing/circumstances) and taking a wild punt on ill-thought-out ideas (e.g. a lot of what went on during the dot-com bubble).

Marcus Evans.... on 13:17 - Mar 21 with 1155 viewschicoazul

Marcus Evans.... on 12:41 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Of non-alcoholic beer as he later claimed when in trouble for drinking in view of the pitch....

hahah is this true? When was this?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Marcus Evans.... on 14:29 - Mar 21 with 1033 viewsNo9

Marcus Evans.... on 12:59 - Mar 21 by Guthrum

It is reasonable to consider ME could not have foreseen where English football would go & how the £ sums would elevate as they have.
This can't go on forever and there will lamost certainly be a crash.
If you currently own a football club, with the current Uk /EU situation, be able to forecast how the UK government will conduct business over EU players /Coaches availability to ply their trade in the UK, it would be very wise to look at potential losses.
ME does not have much exposure to this but it may well be affecting his thinking on how the club oves forward.
As an example, I beleive we all have doubs about any current Engliah manager improving Towns performance - certainly without importing playing talent.
How do you cope with that? Good UK players may well become unaffordable if EU players are put on restrictive work permits?
ME has a bag full of risks that not many on this forum would be willing to take on.
Marcus Evans.... on 14:51 - Mar 21 with 990 viewsGuthrum

Marcus Evans.... on 14:29 - Mar 21 by No9

It is reasonable to consider ME could not have foreseen where English football would go & how the £ sums would elevate as they have.
This can't go on forever and there will lamost certainly be a crash.
If you currently own a football club, with the current Uk /EU situation, be able to forecast how the UK government will conduct business over EU players /Coaches availability to ply their trade in the UK, it would be very wise to look at potential losses.
ME does not have much exposure to this but it may well be affecting his thinking on how the club oves forward.
As an example, I beleive we all have doubs about any current Engliah manager improving Towns performance - certainly without importing playing talent.
How do you cope with that? Good UK players may well become unaffordable if EU players are put on restrictive work permits?
ME has a bag full of risks that not many on this forum would be willing to take on.

Yes, absolutely. Things have galloped far out of control since 2007.

Thing is, as long as the Prem are prepared to pump in what is, for them, quite a small proportion of their turnover and there are newly-wealthy businessmen from elsewhere in the world seeking to buy into the chance of a share in global brands, the crash will be postponed for all but the unfortunate few.

After all, while media quasi-monopolies are prepared to pay the fees demanded (and now there's more than one, the bidding can be competitive), the cash will continue to flow down the favoured channels.

The crash may be years off.

I'm sure that ways will be found to circumvent any issues about post-Brexit restrictions on players and managers. After all, it's in everyone's interest to do so.

It's a massive level of risk, but doing as little as possible is very likely to be the thing which stands the highest chance of precipitating disaster (relegation, dropping down the divisions).

Marcus Evans.... on 16:59 - Mar 21 with 886 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans.... on 13:17 - Mar 21 by chicoazul

hahah is this true? When was this?

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/memory-lane-mike-ashley-downs-a-non-alcoholic-beer

Marcus Evans.... on 17:44 - Mar 21 with 798 viewsmonty_radio

Marcus Evans.... on 12:41 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Actually, not being from Suffolk, when he overheard the fans saying "well, I think we'll settle for a pint" he thought we were saying we're always prepared to accept a draw - and so the new strategy was born!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Marcus Evans.... on 17:45 - Mar 21 with 794 viewsClausThomsen

He knows when to sack the manager though...
Marcus Evans.... on 18:31 - Mar 21 with 736 viewsWestSussexBlue

Valid point. As a matter of interest is it just me or do any of you others buy merchandise and or leisurewear purposely without ME plastered all over it.
I'm looking to buy a Retro shirt and will honestly feel better with our badge and colours standing out instead of promoting his brand.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024