Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terrorist Attacks 08:51 - Mar 23 with 4933 viewsTLA

On Radio 5 Live they just said that yesterday's terrorist attack was the first to slip through the counter-terrorism net since the murder of Lee Rigby.

I was a little surprised because I remember an MP being murdered in the street by someone with extreme views. Is the murder of Jo Cox not a considered a terrorist attack (and if not, why not)?
Terrorist Attacks on 10:04 - Mar 23 with 1044 viewsvapour_trail

Terrorist Attacks on 09:30 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Well all of the TV news channels reported it as well as all of the daily newspapers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4338568/Bomb-aimed-police-Martin-McGuinn

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/psni-officers-very-lucky-to-surv

So I'm not sure what else they can do.

There was no loss of life. The Paris incident involved somebody grabbing a gun off a police officer in a public place before being shot dead so it would have featured more pronintky in the headlines.

Fair enough.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Terrorist Attacks on 10:05 - Mar 23 with 1045 viewsvapour_trail

Terrorist Attacks on 09:56 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Apparently we have forgotten that the worst period for terrorist attacks was the 1970's.

Not for those of us who are old enough to remember it.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 9:57]

You may not have done, but look around at some of the more myopic of your generation on here and there's a different story being told.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Terrorist Attacks on 10:06 - Mar 23 with 1039 viewsNo9

Terrorist Attacks on 09:59 - Mar 23 by Swansea_Blue

Increasingly forgotten by society as a whole. I shouldn't need to explain - we 'remember' the First World War, even though I'm assuming none on here were alive then*.

*ignoring the obvious joke

We remember WW1 & 2 for good reason but other conflicts seem to be forgotten for example British troops who died in the Korean war, those who died fighting (rightly or wrongly ) in the colonies (remember Jungle boy Crawford - maybe never saw action) who never came home.
Terrorist Attacks on 10:10 - Mar 23 with 1027 viewsGuthrum

Terrorist Attacks on 10:00 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

I don't think people who lived through those days have forgotten them and are trying to portray the period we live in as more dangerous.

To a younger generation though it must seem that the world has gone tits up since 2001.

Some people were lucky enough to have lived in a period of relative calm leading up to that date.

The press seem to be, trying to paint a picture of rampant terrorism, when attacks are very rare and small-scale in the UK.

Perhaps it's just modern media sensationalism, blowing every event up with maximum hyperbole, failing to give context with the past.

Maybe we'd almost got used to things happening all the time back then, it didn't have the same media/public consciousness impact. If anything, they were under-reported.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Terrorist Attacks on 10:12 - Mar 23 with 1015 viewsTLA

Terrorist Attacks on 09:56 - Mar 23 by No9

Obviously by a lot of people who were not born or were very young at the time.
For those of us with young families we lived with TV screens full of violence almost daily weary that a trip to London may end in disaster
And those who travelled by air will recall having to leve the aircraft away from the terminal being met by the military and having to select our luggage at the aircraft before boarding a bus to the terminal - that was how security mined Europe was then

Your post reminded me of the lyrics from the song 'Mickey' by Spear of Destiny that I've always considered to be thought-provoking. it's about a young soldier, learning about politics the hard way I guess :

Now mama's little boy went to ulster one day
He was lucky he didn't get his
Legs blown away
They gave him medals for kicking front
Doors in
Now Mickey's grown up and he
Ain't laughing

For when he was a boy he
Remembers listening to
The stories of the Irish that his
Telly told him
But since he went there now he ain't so sure
What he's killing for
Terrorist Attacks on 10:13 - Mar 23 with 1014 viewsSteve_M

Terrorist Attacks on 10:10 - Mar 23 by Guthrum

The press seem to be, trying to paint a picture of rampant terrorism, when attacks are very rare and small-scale in the UK.

Perhaps it's just modern media sensationalism, blowing every event up with maximum hyperbole, failing to give context with the past.

Maybe we'd almost got used to things happening all the time back then, it didn't have the same media/public consciousness impact. If anything, they were under-reported.

Fox News was claiming London had been locked down when, except for those in the immediate vicinity, the only thing anyone did differently was to watch a bit more news or drink a couple of extra beers.

I saw some suggestions yesterday that international reporting of terrorist attacks is usually far more exaggerated than domestic reporting in the country affected. Not sure how true that was but it seems plausible.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Terrorist Attacks on 10:13 - Mar 23 with 1014 viewsNo9

Terrorist Attacks on 09:56 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Apparently we have forgotten that the worst period for terrorist attacks was the 1970's.

Not for those of us who are old enough to remember it.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 9:57]

Not in the UK but as Guthraum pointed out, in the rest of the world.
If anyhting the Uk got worse in the 80's
Terrorist Attacks on 10:13 - Mar 23 with 1015 viewsGlasgowBlue

Terrorist Attacks on 10:01 - Mar 23 by Guthrum

On into the '80s as well. Remember seeing damage from the Harrods bombing.

I remember as a nine year old watching on TV the Palestinian Terror attack on the Israeli Olympic team in Munich. And of course you always feared an IRA terror attack when going on a school trip to London.

I was on the fringes of the security scares in the 80's as somebody who attended the conferences in Brighton, Bournemouth and Blackpool. Although thankfully not in 1984.

One abiding image from the 1980's was that of the dead and injured horses after the Hyde Park bombing. That really sticks in the mind.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Terrorist Attacks on 10:14 - Mar 23 with 1006 viewsGlasgowBlue

We didn't have 24/7 rolling news back then as well.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Terrorist Attacks on 10:15 - Mar 23 with 999 viewsFtnfwest

not considered a terrorist attack by 5 live doesn't mean it isn't generally
Terrorist Attacks on 10:17 - Mar 23 with 998 viewsWoodsFriesRice

Terrorist Attacks on 09:05 - Mar 23 by Bluefish

I constantly have the debate with my family that It is safer from terror attacks than it has been in the past 40 years. They voted leave and I am sure it is because they feel the country is dangerous due to IS and immigration. I showed then the statistics on terror attacks in the UK for each decade which proves it but they still don't agree. 7/7 was nearly 12 years ago and while they doesn't make it ok you will always have nutters that attack people.

Poll: Which of these players (in their prime) would most help our present team?

Terrorist Attacks on 10:22 - Mar 23 with 964 viewsTLA

Terrorist Attacks on 10:17 - Mar 23 by WoodsFriesRice

I think your post and the graphic says much more succinctly what I was trying to by posting the Spear of Destiny lyrics about 'stories of the Irish that his telly told him'.

I also think you have one of the best possible user names on TWTD!
Terrorist Attacks on 10:24 - Mar 23 with 946 viewsTLA

Terrorist Attacks on 10:15 - Mar 23 by Ftnfwest

not considered a terrorist attack by 5 live doesn't mean it isn't generally

Yep, that's a fair comment. I just heard it and it made me think about stuff, hence the thread.
Terrorist Attacks on 10:34 - Mar 23 with 943 viewsdryas

Whatever one thinks of the definition of terrorism in the Terrorism Act (2000), surely Jo Cox's murderer could be defined as a 'terrorist'?

Section 1.
(1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where-
(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government [or an international governmental organisation][2] or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.
(2) Action falls within this subsection if it-
(a) involves serious violence against a person,
(b) involves serious damage to property,
(c) endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,
(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or
(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.
(3) The use or threat of action falling within subsection (2) which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism whether or not subsection (1)(b) is satisfied.
Terrorist Attacks on 10:34 - Mar 23 with 934 viewsFtnfwest

Terrorist Attacks on 10:24 - Mar 23 by TLA

Yep, that's a fair comment. I just heard it and it made me think about stuff, hence the thread.

i presume they meant the main target areas, but know what you mean
Terrorist Attacks on 10:35 - Mar 23 with 934 viewsGuthrum

Terrorist Attacks on 10:14 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

We didn't have 24/7 rolling news back then as well.

I think the tone of coverage was different, too. Calm determination, less intent on apparently wanting to raise the levels of public alarm.

Or maybe that's just the way it came across to me then and now.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Terrorist Attacks on 10:43 - Mar 23 with 914 viewsWoodsFriesRice

Terrorist Attacks on 10:22 - Mar 23 by TLA

I think your post and the graphic says much more succinctly what I was trying to by posting the Spear of Destiny lyrics about 'stories of the Irish that his telly told him'.

I also think you have one of the best possible user names on TWTD!

Wish I'd created the cartoon. It's genius.

Poll: Which of these players (in their prime) would most help our present team?

Terrorist Attacks on 10:51 - Mar 23 with 889 viewsSwansea_Blue

You're falling into the trap of putting things in context, which I was pulled up on before. Of course you're right though. These attacks are horrible, but thankfully very rare in this country. The security forces deserve massive praise for the job they are doing to stop them happening more often.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Terrorist Attacks on 10:51 - Mar 23 with 883 viewsWeWereZombies

Terrorist Attacks on 10:35 - Mar 23 by Guthrum

I think the tone of coverage was different, too. Calm determination, less intent on apparently wanting to raise the levels of public alarm.

Or maybe that's just the way it came across to me then and now.

I think your first line is right. Robert Dougall and John Pilger. although from different backgrounds and with different functions, had a calm and matter of fact presentation that seemed to say that the report was important but another set of information to be worked into our opinions and knowledge of the world. Anna Ford I would also put in this category. But maybe the sign of things to come was evident from the slightly more insistent Reginald Bosanquet and Angela Rippon. Now it seems that, whatever the news media and their agenda, every story is presented as a game changer that means you have to forget everything you were ever told and keeping listening and watching that particular network.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Terrorist Attacks on 10:53 - Mar 23 with 877 viewsNo9

Terrorist Attacks on 10:13 - Mar 23 by Steve_M

Fox News was claiming London had been locked down when, except for those in the immediate vicinity, the only thing anyone did differently was to watch a bit more news or drink a couple of extra beers.

I saw some suggestions yesterday that international reporting of terrorist attacks is usually far more exaggerated than domestic reporting in the country affected. Not sure how true that was but it seems plausible.

My son is flying out of Heathrow today, he left early expecting to have to got through additional security. He phoned me from LHR not long ago & on the question of security said, if anything iwas lighter than usual
Terrorist Attacks on 10:55 - Mar 23 with 859 viewsBlueBadger

Terrorist Attacks on 09:37 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

I thought the BBC was the finest most reliable and impartial news outlet in the world?

I think you probably need to look at the competition here as well...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Terrorist Attacks on 10:58 - Mar 23 with 844 viewsNo9

Terrorist Attacks on 10:01 - Mar 23 by Guthrum

On into the '80s as well. Remember seeing damage from the Harrods bombing.

One of the worst things about the terrorist attacks in the 80's was that many attacks came from a new quarter, we had lived with the IRA but now with the Iranian Embassy , the bloke trying to get Saldan Rushdie, the Libyan element etc. there were increasing threats which were almost, from the public perspective, an unexpected development
Terrorist Attacks on 11:53 - Mar 23 with 782 viewsRyorry

Terrorist Attacks on 08:59 - Mar 23 by factual_blue

I think we all know why.

I don't, enlightenment please.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Terrorist Attacks on 11:55 - Mar 23 with 778 viewsRyorry

Terrorist Attacks on 09:28 - Mar 23 by Steve_M

Ah, you're point scoring then.

Anything non-football related that happens in the middle of the working day will get more comment on here than something at a weekend. It's a function of the number of people online rather than anything else.

It's a function of people (ahem ) being "at work" you mean?!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Terrorist Attacks on 11:58 - Mar 23 with 766 viewsSteve_M

Terrorist Attacks on 11:55 - Mar 23 by Ryorry

It's a function of people (ahem ) being "at work" you mean?!

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024