Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
martin mcguinness 22:35 - Mar 23 with 3068 viewsVic

Not a terrorist, says Gerry Adams, just a freedom fighter!

Sorry, but that's just not right.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

martin mcguinness on 09:36 - Mar 24 with 942 viewsVic

martin mcguinness on 22:42 - Mar 23 by sparks

At a time when most people who have major problems with McGuinness are at least being diplomatic and making efforts to concentrate on the better stuff he did later in life...

This strikes me as an utterly offensive two fingers being waved by Adams in the faces of those people. True colours being shown.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I thought.

Personally I'm happy to think that he mellowed and was committed to getting his way by peace. I have no problem with that. But for Adams to make this statement beggars belief - nobody bar nobody doubts that MM had blood on his hands pre 1997, to deny that or to say he was a freedom fighter is crass at best and inflammatory at worst. I hope someone has a word in Adams ear and that this is the last we hear of such rubbish.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

martin mcguinness on 09:39 - Mar 24 with 926 viewsSteve_M

martin mcguinness on 09:36 - Mar 24 by Vic

Your second paragraph is exactly what I thought.

Personally I'm happy to think that he mellowed and was committed to getting his way by peace. I have no problem with that. But for Adams to make this statement beggars belief - nobody bar nobody doubts that MM had blood on his hands pre 1997, to deny that or to say he was a freedom fighter is crass at best and inflammatory at worst. I hope someone has a word in Adams ear and that this is the last we hear of such rubbish.

Given the context, Adams was hardly going to say otherwise was he. That doesn't make him right of course, he's come a lot less far than McGuiness did.

What it did remind me is how counter-productive the broadcasting ban was, all of Adams statements were carefully read by an actor rather than in his less than media-friendly real voice.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

martin mcguinness on 10:17 - Mar 24 with 872 viewscaught-in-limbo

martin mcguinness on 09:39 - Mar 24 by Steve_M

Given the context, Adams was hardly going to say otherwise was he. That doesn't make him right of course, he's come a lot less far than McGuiness did.

What it did remind me is how counter-productive the broadcasting ban was, all of Adams statements were carefully read by an actor rather than in his less than media-friendly real voice.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

martin mcguinness on 10:43 - Mar 24 with 855 viewsbrazil1982

The coverage on BBC last night was shameful.
martin mcguinness on 10:47 - Mar 24 with 843 viewsRyorry

martin mcguinness on 23:15 - Mar 23 by vapour_trail

OK, ignoring my previous statement, I don't believe he had any conversion at all. I think he was a pragmatist and spotted an opportunity.

The Major govt did truly excellent work in facilitating back channels which have led to a long period of peace. The Blair govt followed through on this work.

If MM hadn't had this opportunity to progress the republican cause he would have stayed true to his earlier tactics.

The transition from thatcher to major is, for me, the key point in the positive changes that took effect in Ireland.

Michael Portillo said similar on This Week last night, if you saw that (I know you're a fan of the prog).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

martin mcguinness on 11:10 - Mar 24 with 812 viewsfeelingblue

martin mcguinness on 23:15 - Mar 23 by vapour_trail

OK, ignoring my previous statement, I don't believe he had any conversion at all. I think he was a pragmatist and spotted an opportunity.

The Major govt did truly excellent work in facilitating back channels which have led to a long period of peace. The Blair govt followed through on this work.

If MM hadn't had this opportunity to progress the republican cause he would have stayed true to his earlier tactics.

The transition from thatcher to major is, for me, the key point in the positive changes that took effect in Ireland.

'The transition from thatcher to major is, for me, the key point in the positive changes that took effect in Ireland.'

Funny that, isn't it? The idealogue exacerbated the problem and the pragmatist introduced positive progress.

With the benefit of hindsight, John Major's government was the best of my lifetime, although it was shackled by the loony right, just as this government is. That lying incompetent w*nker Ian Duncan Smith being a common factor.
martin mcguinness on 11:14 - Mar 24 with 804 viewsSteve_M

martin mcguinness on 11:10 - Mar 24 by feelingblue

'The transition from thatcher to major is, for me, the key point in the positive changes that took effect in Ireland.'

Funny that, isn't it? The idealogue exacerbated the problem and the pragmatist introduced positive progress.

With the benefit of hindsight, John Major's government was the best of my lifetime, although it was shackled by the loony right, just as this government is. That lying incompetent w*nker Ian Duncan Smith being a common factor.

Don't ignore the Anglo-Irish Agreement though, that played some part in building relationships across the Irish Sea.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

martin mcguinness on 11:14 - Mar 24 with 800 viewsGlasgowBlue

"The idealogue exacerbated the problem and the pragmatist introduced positive progress.2

You seem to be completely writing out of history the Anglo/Irish agreement which was a small step that culminated in the Good Friday agreement.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

martin mcguinness on 11:29 - Mar 24 with 777 viewsfeelingblue

martin mcguinness on 11:14 - Mar 24 by Steve_M

Don't ignore the Anglo-Irish Agreement though, that played some part in building relationships across the Irish Sea.

Fair point
martin mcguinness on 11:32 - Mar 24 with 766 viewsfeelingblue

martin mcguinness on 11:14 - Mar 24 by GlasgowBlue

"The idealogue exacerbated the problem and the pragmatist introduced positive progress.2

You seem to be completely writing out of history the Anglo/Irish agreement which was a small step that culminated in the Good Friday agreement.

Fair point.
martin mcguinness on 11:50 - Mar 24 with 739 viewsRyorry

"The idealogue exacerbated the problem and the pragmatist introduced positive progress."

Perceptive. You should send that to Labour Party HQ!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

martin mcguinness on 14:47 - Mar 24 with 675 viewsblue_oyster

martin mcguinness on 22:46 - Mar 23 by sparks

I dont understand that view. NI is not a piece of property. Its a nation with people who, currently and for a large chunk of recent times, have preferred to be part of the UK.

Indeed. What's not to understand?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

martin mcguinness on 14:48 - Mar 24 with 675 viewsmanchego

martin mcguinness on 22:43 - Mar 23 by blue_oyster

A terrorist, to whom Tony Blair caved into. We will lose Northern Ireland as a result. A truly shameful episode.

You do know how NI was created right ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024