Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NBA - Madison Square Garden 08:23 - Mar 24 with 3897 viewsYaffle

Morning, does anyone have any advice on attending a game? I want to take the family as part of our forthcoming trip and have highlighted the Knicks v Bulls game on 4th April. The tickets are eye wateringly expensive and I wondered, although they show a view from each seat if anyone has been and is it actually worth the money or is it like watching stickmen. I was thinking either block 214 (quite a way back) or the north bridge (block 315 front row) which is above the front row of 200 blocks.

We all want to go for the experience (I used to play to a reasonable standard) but would welcome some advice from anyone that's actually been before I part with £530 (for 4 people)!!

Thanks in advance, makes football seem cheap!
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 08:33 - Mar 24 with 3877 viewsitfcjoe

When I looked and was out there the Knicks were so expensive we went to a Nets game in Brooklyn. And the Knicks game was first night so was a bit of a rush.

Tickets do get cheaper as it gets closer sometimes - but 4 tickets probably won't as the pairs seem to drop quickest.

Brooklyn Nets have a game on April 2nd against the Atlanta Hawks if that fits in with your schedule and tickets can be bought for $15 each plus fees.

https://seatgeek.com/hawks-at-nets-tickets/4-2-2017-brooklyn-new-york-barclays-c

Obviously not 2 franchises that are as famous, but if it is just going to an NBA game you want to could work. The Barclays Center is a very good venue and good to spend a bit of time in Brooklyn

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 08:46 - Mar 24 with 3855 viewsPinewoodblue

Search for a site that sells season ticket holders seats for individual games.

Last time went to ?Orlando Magic purchased tickets from a tour company thst arranged hotel pick up. We ended up paying less thsn half the value printed on the ticket. They obtained their tickets from season ticket holders unable to attend a game. They charged a set price irrespective of where you sat. We were lucky enough to be less thst twenty rows from the front.

Might be difficult with 4 but you may find two pairs in the same area / row.

any sport that makes four twelve minute quarters last well over two hours is entertaining. Enjoy the razzmatazz.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 08:48 - Mar 24 with 3841 viewsSWGF

Just checked my emails.

I went in 2006 with Mrs SWGF; Knicks v Celtics
Section 413, row A, seats 1-2
$89 for the pair

They were up in the gods but relatively empty so we moved about a bit. Could still see what was going on though.

I'd be wary though as the Yanks draw it out for as long as humanly possible. The last quarter went on for HOURS. We got bored stiff and left before the end; we'd only arrived in NYC a few hours earlier and fatigue was setting in.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 09:06 - Mar 24 with 3812 viewsYaffle

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 08:33 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

When I looked and was out there the Knicks were so expensive we went to a Nets game in Brooklyn. And the Knicks game was first night so was a bit of a rush.

Tickets do get cheaper as it gets closer sometimes - but 4 tickets probably won't as the pairs seem to drop quickest.

Brooklyn Nets have a game on April 2nd against the Atlanta Hawks if that fits in with your schedule and tickets can be bought for $15 each plus fees.

https://seatgeek.com/hawks-at-nets-tickets/4-2-2017-brooklyn-new-york-barclays-c

Obviously not 2 franchises that are as famous, but if it is just going to an NBA game you want to could work. The Barclays Center is a very good venue and good to spend a bit of time in Brooklyn

Cheers, I was just looking at that game as someone mentioned on Tripadvisor it was a better way to see the NBA. Also we had planned to do Brooklyn that day with the flea markets on and walk the bridge etc so fits in perfectly.

Thanks for all the input and advice.
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 11:20 - Mar 24 with 3741 viewsYaffle

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 08:33 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

Took your advice Joe and ended up getting 4 together in block 25 row 15 for $113 each for the Hawks game, when around us the standards price is between $200-$250. Almost feels like a bargain!

Thanks all again.
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 12:45 - Mar 24 with 3696 viewsIpswich1984

I would say try Stubhub on day of game, can sometimes get some real bargains if you have time to go to the Knicks.

I've used them for NFL and NBA in NYC and Orlando and not had any issues.

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 13:36 - Mar 24 with 3669 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Don't get them early. I know this could be nervy if you're visiting and want to make sure you don't miss out but it's very easy to get them late. There's a boozer called Stout around the corner that I go in before getting my train and it's always full of touts of Nicks and Rangers games. That will be the cheaper option. Failing that download stubhub app and purchase an hour before on there. They always have bar code scans for entry on phone anyway. Market value drops a lot right beforehand.

Never be worried about buying of a tout in the US, it's the done thing.
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 13:37 - Mar 24 with 3664 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 11:20 - Mar 24 by Yaffle

Took your advice Joe and ended up getting 4 together in block 25 row 15 for $113 each for the Hawks game, when around us the standards price is between $200-$250. Almost feels like a bargain!

Thanks all again.

You'd have got them for 50 max on the day. Plus the Barclaycard center is no MSG
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 13:38]
Login to get fewer ads

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 13:50 - Mar 24 with 3646 viewsitfcjoe

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 13:36 - Mar 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Don't get them early. I know this could be nervy if you're visiting and want to make sure you don't miss out but it's very easy to get them late. There's a boozer called Stout around the corner that I go in before getting my train and it's always full of touts of Nicks and Rangers games. That will be the cheaper option. Failing that download stubhub app and purchase an hour before on there. They always have bar code scans for entry on phone anyway. Market value drops a lot right beforehand.

Never be worried about buying of a tout in the US, it's the done thing.

I tried this in Chicago for a Bulls game and it backfired, prices went up and up and even 20 minutes before they became in such short supply that we ended up sacking it off. Was the opposite for the Bears game as it got colder and colder and they were out of play off contention.

If it is a key part to trip and happy with price paid then think that is most important thing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 13:52 - Mar 24 with 3641 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 13:50 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

I tried this in Chicago for a Bulls game and it backfired, prices went up and up and even 20 minutes before they became in such short supply that we ended up sacking it off. Was the opposite for the Bears game as it got colder and colder and they were out of play off contention.

If it is a key part to trip and happy with price paid then think that is most important thing

Completely get why people do it as to not spend all day worrying about it whilst on holiday
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 15:14 - Mar 24 with 3604 viewsYaffle

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 13:37 - Mar 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You'd have got them for 50 max on the day. Plus the Barclaycard center is no MSG
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 13:38]

Thanks for the input and advice, as you've gathered I got to it a bit late but as others have said, I didn't want to be checking my phone all day wondering about if I would get 4 together. As for MSG, I was reading quite a bit saying it wasn't as great as people make out AND the Knicks really suck at the moment so it can be a bit of an anti-climax atmosphere wise. Also, lots of suggestions its full of bl00dy tourists, a bit like Man Utd!!!! Ultimately I'm happy with what I got, they were already $50+ cheaper than other resale tickets and half the price of main tickets on sale around. If nothing else it will be an experience.

Any other NYC tips, I've only ever been for business and I arranged it as a surprise trip for the wife and kids (13,15). We have a pretty packed schedule planned out of the normal stuff but wondered if there was anything we might have missed? We kind of have one empty day at the minute and am wondering how to fill it?
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 15:56 - Mar 24 with 3580 viewsIpswich1984

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 15:14 - Mar 24 by Yaffle

Thanks for the input and advice, as you've gathered I got to it a bit late but as others have said, I didn't want to be checking my phone all day wondering about if I would get 4 together. As for MSG, I was reading quite a bit saying it wasn't as great as people make out AND the Knicks really suck at the moment so it can be a bit of an anti-climax atmosphere wise. Also, lots of suggestions its full of bl00dy tourists, a bit like Man Utd!!!! Ultimately I'm happy with what I got, they were already $50+ cheaper than other resale tickets and half the price of main tickets on sale around. If nothing else it will be an experience.

Any other NYC tips, I've only ever been for business and I arranged it as a surprise trip for the wife and kids (13,15). We have a pretty packed schedule planned out of the normal stuff but wondered if there was anything we might have missed? We kind of have one empty day at the minute and am wondering how to fill it?

Would definitely recommend One World Observatory, most amazing views of the city, Rockefeller Centre - Top of the Rock is another to go to as get views of Central Park too.

The Memorial and the 9/11 museum is also well worth visiting and would say your kids are the right age to appreciate it all.

Not sure how long you are there for but we quite enjoyed the open top buses which meant we saw a lot of the city and got a lot of info from some great tour guides.

One last thing..... if it's a trip for your wife, definitely recommend Tiffany's, I loved shopping there.

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 16:55 - Mar 24 with 3566 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 15:14 - Mar 24 by Yaffle

My tips are mainly involved with bars and restaurants so I haven't got much advice if you're taking the kids but I am sure you'll have a great time. Not sure how long you are there but there is a lot more to NY state than NYC if you have some time to explore
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 18:09 - Mar 24 with 3536 viewsYaffle

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 15:56 - Mar 24 by Ipswich1984

Would definitely recommend One World Observatory, most amazing views of the city, Rockefeller Centre - Top of the Rock is another to go to as get views of Central Park too.

The Memorial and the 9/11 museum is also well worth visiting and would say your kids are the right age to appreciate it all.

Not sure how long you are there for but we quite enjoyed the open top buses which meant we saw a lot of the city and got a lot of info from some great tour guides.

One last thing..... if it's a trip for your wife, definitely recommend Tiffany's, I loved shopping there.

Thank you for the ideas, we are there for a week so have all the usual stuff planned including a birth of hip hop tour and a Sunday morning gospel church service and Harlem tour which hopefully should be entertaining/informative. We are also taking a guided tour of the 9/11 memorial and museum, a few of the skyscrappers, the main museums, 5th Avenue etc etc. I was just wondering if there was something budget allowing, a bit different that we might do on the spare day?
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 18:14 - Mar 24 with 3529 viewsYaffle

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 16:55 - Mar 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

My tips are mainly involved with bars and restaurants so I haven't got much advice if you're taking the kids but I am sure you'll have a great time. Not sure how long you are there but there is a lot more to NY state than NYC if you have some time to explore

I think I could eat myself into bankruptcy in NYC! Steering clear of the expensive stuff as daughter is fussy as hell and son is a food hoover. Going to take them to Tao as I enjoyed it and daughter wants to go to Ellens Dinner!! Other than that will be usuaL fare although I was tempted by some of the steak houses. Which would you recommend?

I like the out of the city idea, I'll look on Viator to see if there is anything there worth considering. Thanks again.
NBA - Madison Square Garden on 18:37 - Mar 24 with 3500 viewsIpswich1984

NBA - Madison Square Garden on 18:14 - Mar 24 by Yaffle

I think I could eat myself into bankruptcy in NYC! Steering clear of the expensive stuff as daughter is fussy as hell and son is a food hoover. Going to take them to Tao as I enjoyed it and daughter wants to go to Ellens Dinner!! Other than that will be usuaL fare although I was tempted by some of the steak houses. Which would you recommend?

I like the out of the city idea, I'll look on Viator to see if there is anything there worth considering. Thanks again.

We really liked Bills Burgers, we've eaten in the restaurant at both the 9/11 memorial and Rockefeller.
Some of the dollar pizza places are fantastic too.

We did a tour of Grand Central station which was really interesting, booked it via free tours on foot and you pay what you think it's worth.
Not sure if you have any time in Central Park but well worth a visit.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024