Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill 13:31 - Mar 24 with 7419 viewsLord_Lucan

Blimey!

Top work.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:34 - Mar 24 with 2166 viewsMJallday

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/Keith-palmer

£545k and rising.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:35 - Mar 24 with 2156 viewsDoobDude

When does it become too much money though?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:36 - Mar 24 with 2140 viewsMJallday

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:35 - Mar 24 by DoobDude

when you run out of numbers i suppose

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:37 - Mar 24 with 2142 viewsDolly2.0

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:35 - Mar 24 by DoobDude

Not sure that's a concern is it?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:37 - Mar 24 with 2133 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm not sure it does really.

How much is a life worth? Perhaps it might have been an idea to put a cap on the policeman's fund and spread the balance out amongst the other victims.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:38 - Mar 24 with 2126 viewsclive_baker

Kind of agree. It's a lovely gesture, and for me enough money to cover any costs associated with giving him the best possible send off, and any professional counselling his family may require is lovely. At the end of the day though, money isn't going to bring him back. I think it would be better given to a charity after a certain point IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:39 - Mar 24 with 2119 viewsDoobDude

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:37 - Mar 24 by Dolly2.0

Not sure that's a concern is it?

I think it is. We all feel sympathy for the family but I don't think throwing money at them makes them feel any better.

Once it reaches a certain amount donations should stop but still allow people to post messages of condolence.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

on 13:40 - Mar 24 with 2104 views_

Login to get fewer ads

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:43 - Mar 24 with 2061 viewsIllinoisblue

it's a good question; it does seem to be the modern-day reaction to any kind of tragedy: throw money at it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:44 - Mar 24 with 2061 viewsThrobbe

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:38 - Mar 24 by clive_baker

Kind of agree. It's a lovely gesture, and for me enough money to cover any costs associated with giving him the best possible send off, and any professional counselling his family may require is lovely. At the end of the day though, money isn't going to bring him back. I think it would be better given to a charity after a certain point IMO.

I sort of get where you're coming from, but if people are making a donation to support his family I suppose it's the family's choice to take it in the spirit in which it is given or if they want some of it to go to charity, and I don't think anyone would begrudge them that.

Incidentally, there is a charity that supports the families of police officers killed in the line of duty. http://www.ukcops.org/

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:47 - Mar 24 with 2034 viewsReuser_is_God

on 13:40 - Mar 24 by _

Also I'd imagine his family are getting something from the police anyway, assuming he has an expression of wish?

As others have said, cover costs of funeral & any counselling needed then donate to charity.

Also, I feel slightly uneasy about all the attention the PC's death is getting. Don't get me wrong it's a tragedy & absolutely terrible but no more so than the other deaths that day (excluding the scum bag who caused this). If there has been 500k raised for the coppers family then how about the other 3?
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 13:56]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:50 - Mar 24 with 2003 viewsDolly2.0

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:39 - Mar 24 by DoobDude

I think it is. We all feel sympathy for the family but I don't think throwing money at them makes them feel any better.

Once it reaches a certain amount donations should stop but still allow people to post messages of condolence.

It's up to people how much they want to give.

Assuming he was the bread-winner of the house, the money will help his wife and 5 year old daughter not have any money worries now he's gone.

Throwing money at them won't make them feel better about his death but it will help them cope in the aftermath of losing him.

on 13:52 - Mar 24 with 1995 views_

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:50 - Mar 24 by Dolly2.0

It's up to people how much they want to give.

Assuming he was the bread-winner of the house, the money will help his wife and 5 year old daughter not have any money worries now he's gone.

Throwing money at them won't make them feel better about his death but it will help them cope in the aftermath of losing him.

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:56 - Mar 24 with 1976 viewsDolly2.0

on 13:52 - Mar 24 by _

I'd assume so too, though no idea how much that will be. With a 5 year old I'm guessing the wife/mum didn't work. I see no problem with people making donations to support her and the child.

Of course the same should happen for the other victims.

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:57 - Mar 24 with 1965 viewsLord_Lucan

on 13:52 - Mar 24 by _

I don't have a problem with it, maybe the family will give some (or all of it) to charity.

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:59 - Mar 24 with 1951 viewsDeano69

As good as it is, i would have thought it should be for all the victims directly affected. He certainly is a brave guy and a sorry loss i am sure, but no more so than the other involved imo.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:01 - Mar 24 with 1939 viewsDanTheMan

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:37 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

I'm not sure it does really.

How much is a life worth? Perhaps it might have been an idea to put a cap on the policeman's fund and spread the balance out amongst the other victims.

I thought about this last night. Quite a few people died that day and the other victims and their families aren't getting anywhere near as much attention.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

on 14:03 - Mar 24 with 1917 views_

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:57 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

I don't have a problem with it, maybe the family will give some (or all of it) to charity.

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:05 - Mar 24 with 1893 viewsLord_Lucan

on 14:03 - Mar 24 by _

It's Dianas fault

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:10 - Mar 24 with 1864 viewsDolly2.0

But it's the public's money. They're free to do with it as they please.

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:13 - Mar 24 with 1845 viewsThrobbe

I provide this for interest only and offer no comment on the rights or wrongs. It might seem a bit morbid, but I'm a numbers geek.

In my past life as a highway engineer one of the assessments of the effectiveness of a scheme was the saving in accidents, expressed in monetary terms. a single fatality has a 'cost' of £1.25M. As I understand it, that's a representation of the average loss of earnings (to the economy, so includes taxation) as well as the costs of dealing with the accident, and no attempt is made to cost the emotional impact. http://www.cbabuilder.co.uk/CBA7.html

Assuming a salary of £40k (honestly no idea what he would have earned), less tax, and 20 more years in the job, that's over £500k of income lost to the family, although as has been pointed out, I assume there's a pension/death in service benefit. It does seem an obscene amount when expressed as a lump sum, but even leaving aside the emotional impact, the financial loss to his family may be serious.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 14:15]

TWTD Cycling Herbert

on 14:13 - Mar 24 with 1840 views_

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:10 - Mar 24 by Dolly2.0

But it's the public's money. They're free to do with it as they please.

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:20 - Mar 24 with 1804 viewsJ2BLUE

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:38 - Mar 24 by clive_baker

It's a fantastically worthy cause and I have all the respect in the world for the police officer and sympathy for his family but why hasn't someone started one of these for the huge humanitarian crisis going on right now? I appreciate the circumstances of his death and that he is one of us makes it easier to feel strongly about it but collectively we ignore huge issues where this money could do great things and then (forgive me) overreact (I mean donations, not anger and empathy) to something like this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:22 - Mar 24 with 1795 viewsvapour_trail

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 13:56 - Mar 24 by Dolly2.0

I'd assume so too, though no idea how much that will be. With a 5 year old I'm guessing the wife/mum didn't work. I see no problem with people making donations to support her and the child.

Of course the same should happen for the other victims.

With a 5 year old I'm guessing the wife/mum didn't work.

Blimey dollers this isn't 1950.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Online funding thing for the stabbed copper has reached over half a mill on 14:23 - Mar 24 with 1785 viewsGlasgowBlue

If the guy died of an overdose then wouldn't the proceeds be better spent towards a donation to a drug rehab programme rather than a heavy metal gig?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024