Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Self help books 15:00 - Mar 24 with 9773 viewsJ2BLUE

Can anyone recommend any decent books about positive thinking/managing stress/generally being a bit happier?

There are loads on Amazon and not sure what to go for. Cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Self help books on 17:36 - Mar 24 with 2359 viewschicoazul

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Encyclopedia-Modern-Bodybuilding-Updated/dp/0684857

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/RSPB-Guide-Birdwatching-Step-step-Approach-Rspb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meditations-Penguin-Classics-Marcus-Aurelius/dp/0140449

Here is what I am NOT saying; be a bodybuilder, be a birdwatcher, be a stoic.

What I AM saying is; lift weights, get outside and pursue a healthy hobby, and remember how you are one of the luckiest people ever born.

I guarantee that if you are feeling down, stressed, unhappy then if you go to the gym and lift weights - not cardio, not machines, not foam rollers, but squat dead overhead and bench - then you will absolutely 100% feel better. Same with going out and pursuing a cheap healthy hobby. Same with having a positive mindset.

You feel how you think.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Self help books on 17:42 - Mar 24 with 2337 viewsBenters

Self help books on 17:36 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Encyclopedia-Modern-Bodybuilding-Updated/dp/0684857

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/RSPB-Guide-Birdwatching-Step-step-Approach-Rspb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meditations-Penguin-Classics-Marcus-Aurelius/dp/0140449

What I AM saying is; lift weights, get outside and pursue a healthy hobby, and remember how you are one of the luckiest people ever born.

I guarantee that if you are feeling down, stressed, unhappy then if you go to the gym and lift weights - not cardio, not machines, not foam rollers, but squat dead overhead and bench - then you will absolutely 100% feel better. Same with going out and pursuing a cheap healthy hobby. Same with having a positive mindset.

You feel how you think.

Get a push bike get out in the fresh air cant beat it .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Self help books on 17:45 - Mar 24 with 2326 viewstaximan

Self help books on 17:42 - Mar 24 by Benters

here he is, the proprietor of the bentley well being organisation
Self help books on 17:47 - Mar 24 with 2320 viewschicoazul

Self help books on 17:42 - Mar 24 by Benters

I'm sure you love cycling and so do lots of other people. Nothing beats weight lifting for making a man feel better.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Self help books on 17:54 - Mar 24 with 2306 viewsSwansea_Blue

Self help books on 17:36 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

You feel how you think.

He's not that lucky. He can't even cook an egg properly!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

on 17:55 - Mar 24 with 2303 views_

Self help books on 17:47 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

I'm sure you love cycling and so do lots of other people. Nothing beats weight lifting for making a man feel better.

Self help books on 18:38 - Mar 24 with 2273 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I am told that this is one of the original and best by people whose opinions I respect.
https://www.waterstones.com/book/feel-the-fear-and-do-it-anyway/susan-j-jeffers/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Self help books on 18:57 - Mar 24 with 2250 viewsNewcyBlue

I find going to the gym really helps my mental health.

I can see some good progress already in the time I have been away, feeling happier with my body is making me a bit more happier in general.

You might want to look up EFT, I know a lot of people that have used that to help with anxiety.

I tried Dale Carnegie's How to stop worrying and start living. I found it a bit much to read when I am working stupid hours though. It does seem like a hell of a book, but it is just tough going when working the shifts I do and trying to keep my motivation for the gym.

Always a PM away if you need a rant or a chat mate

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Self help books on 18:58 - Mar 24 with 2249 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Self help books on 19:21 - Mar 24 with 2235 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Self help books on 18:58 - Mar 24 by Swansea_Blue

Leave that thread out of here !!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Self help books on 19:42 - Mar 24 with 2213 viewsJ2BLUE

Self help books on 18:57 - Mar 24 by NewcyBlue

I find going to the gym really helps my mental health.

I can see some good progress already in the time I have been away, feeling happier with my body is making me a bit more happier in general.

You might want to look up EFT, I know a lot of people that have used that to help with anxiety.

I tried Dale Carnegie's How to stop worrying and start living. I found it a bit much to read when I am working stupid hours though. It does seem like a hell of a book, but it is just tough going when working the shifts I do and trying to keep my motivation for the gym.

Always a PM away if you need a rant or a chat mate

Cheers all. I'm ok, really, I just wanted to change my outlook on a few things.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Self help books on 20:52 - Mar 24 with 2180 viewsNewcyBlue

Self help books on 18:38 - Mar 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

I am told that this is one of the original and best by people whose opinions I respect.
https://www.waterstones.com/book/feel-the-fear-and-do-it-anyway/susan-j-jeffers/

I forgot about that book. I read that when I was younger.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Self help books on 21:15 - Mar 24 with 2160 viewsMullet

In all seriousness depends what works for you. Start with a point of interest to you, is it money, health, performance you're after? Something like Mike Mahler's "Live life aggressively" has a rather offputting title, but is excellent for a no nonsense, no BS mix of business, goal setting and fitness ideas you can take or leave.

Some are complete lifestyle types. Some are fairly wishy washy.

I'd start with things you like the sound of and follow that author on twitter/youtube and see what works for you. I brought a load of Cernovich's books based on amazon samples. Then found out he's a disgusting Trump troll and wish I'd not spent the £15 or so. It's hard to take his work seriously when you realise he's a redneck puppeteer.

I read a lot of ancient books from the samurai type stuff such as Book of five rings and it's pretty inpenetrable and hard to apply, same as the Prince etc. but fascinating and sets off all sorts of thoughts.

Depends how willing to experiment and take or leave what you read. How willing are you to apply and stick to it and see it through even if the advice fails? Some love military based stuff that rely on metaphors and imagery like Jocko Willinck and the like. Dan John is an interesting author who has diversified his stuff as time goes on.

I've found when one book is fascinating or sparks something, there are several related ones waiting by listening to the writer on podcasts with likeminded people, and as I said before their social media.

Tim Ferris might be right up your street and does both books and podcasts that are hugely varied, insightful and a great platform into hundreds of arenas and directions.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Self help books on 02:50 - Mar 25 with 2108 viewsBenters

Self help books on 17:47 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

You cant beat being out in the fresh air,sometimes i stop if i see a nice view and look in amazement and wonder wtf is life all about ?

One place that gets me is the church at Polstead its setting and war memorial,another is the road from Nayland to Bures that has fantastic views .

Thats got to be better for you than being surronded by look at me merchants looking in mirrors grunting and farting lifting weights ?

Gentlybentley

Self help books on 07:23 - Mar 25 with 2081 viewstaximan

Self help books on 02:50 - Mar 25 by Benters

You cant beat being out in the fresh air,sometimes i stop if i see a nice view and look in amazement and wonder wtf is life all about ?

One place that gets me is the church at Polstead its setting and war memorial,another is the road from Nayland to Bures that has fantastic views .

Thats got to be better for you than being surronded by look at me merchants looking in mirrors grunting and farting lifting weights ?

i love the countryside

the staffordshire and i spend many hours each week walking round the fields

cyclists are a bit of a nuisance on that nayland to bures road, they should really pull over to let the motorist past
Self help books on 07:38 - Mar 25 with 2069 viewsMJallday

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Self help books on 07:45 - Mar 25 with 2060 viewsBenters

on 17:55 - Mar 24 by _

I used to love 5 a side footie .

Have a uppie.

Gentlybentley

Self help books on 07:50 - Mar 25 with 2049 viewsBenters

Self help books on 19:42 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

Cheers all. I'm ok, really, I just wanted to change my outlook on a few things.

How about scrambling some nice eggs with cheese, and rather than drinking newcy ale get some ghostie in ya ?

Gentlybentley

Self help books on 07:54 - Mar 25 with 2033 viewsBenters

Self help books on 07:23 - Mar 25 by taximan

i love the countryside

the staffordshire and i spend many hours each week walking round the fields

cyclists are a bit of a nuisance on that nayland to bures road, they should really pull over to let the motorist past

I do always pull over as its not the best road to pass,i do the same where ever i am .

knight of the road and all that.

Gentlybentley

on 08:07 - Mar 25 with 2013 views_

Self help books on 07:45 - Mar 25 by Benters

I used to love 5 a side footie .

Have a uppie.

Self help books on 08:46 - Mar 25 with 1980 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Self help books on 21:15 - Mar 24 by Mullet

In all seriousness depends what works for you. Start with a point of interest to you, is it money, health, performance you're after? Something like Mike Mahler's "Live life aggressively" has a rather offputting title, but is excellent for a no nonsense, no BS mix of business, goal setting and fitness ideas you can take or leave.

I'd start with things you like the sound of and follow that author on twitter/youtube and see what works for you. I brought a load of Cernovich's books based on amazon samples. Then found out he's a disgusting Trump troll and wish I'd not spent the £15 or so. It's hard to take his work seriously when you realise he's a redneck puppeteer.

I read a lot of ancient books from the samurai type stuff such as Book of five rings and it's pretty inpenetrable and hard to apply, same as the Prince etc. but fascinating and sets off all sorts of thoughts.

Depends how willing to experiment and take or leave what you read. How willing are you to apply and stick to it and see it through even if the advice fails? Some love military based stuff that rely on metaphors and imagery like Jocko Willinck and the like. Dan John is an interesting author who has diversified his stuff as time goes on.

I've found when one book is fascinating or sparks something, there are several related ones waiting by listening to the writer on podcasts with likeminded people, and as I said before their social media.

Tim Ferris might be right up your street and does both books and podcasts that are hugely varied, insightful and a great platform into hundreds of arenas and directions.

99 percent of the books are rubbish in the self-help industry, but there is the occasional gem. Anything that has hard science behind its ideology is usually pretty good. I'd recommend Haidt (the happiness hypothesis). Teaches about using CBT and Mindfulness, both useful tools with scientific backing on their usefulness.

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

Self help books on 08:50 - Mar 25 with 1972 viewsDeano69

It will be a bit tame for some, but there's a Bear Grylls book - a survival guide for life. A few good pointers in there.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Self help books on 09:08 - Mar 25 with 1958 viewschicoazul

Self help books on 21:15 - Mar 24 by Mullet

One thing you and I can agree on is that Mike Cernovich is one of the worst people in the world.

Self help books on 09:10 - Mar 25 with 1955 viewschicoazul

Self help books on 02:50 - Mar 25 by Benters

You are describing being in your head. Depressives (not that I am saying J2 is one) are better off out of their heads and being in the moment. Plus weights = testosterone.

Self help books on 09:39 - Mar 25 with 1932 viewsBenters

on 08:07 - Mar 25 by _

Any sort of exercise gives you a enormous ammount of well being.

Gentlybentley

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024