Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Self help books 15:00 - Mar 24 with 9770 viewsJ2BLUE

Can anyone recommend any decent books about positive thinking/managing stress/generally being a bit happier?

There are loads on Amazon and not sure what to go for. Cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Self help books on 09:58 - Mar 25 with 1142 viewscaught-in-limbo

Self help books on 15:40 - Mar 24 by hoppy

There's this one... not sure I'd call it a documentary though.
(plus it's really quite poor)

Great recipe ideas there.
1:25-3:25

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Self help books on 10:23 - Mar 25 with 1106 viewscaught-in-limbo

Self help books on 08:46 - Mar 25 by BrettenhamBlue

99 percent of the books are rubbish in the self-help industry, but there is the occasional gem. Anything that has hard science behind its ideology is usually pretty good. I'd recommend Haidt (the happiness hypothesis). Teaches about using CBT and Mindfulness, both useful tools with scientific backing on their usefulness.

I have no personal experience of CBT but the fact that it's a treatment which focuses on how your thoughts, beliefs and attitudes affect your feelings and behaviour is sound.

In view of that, turning off the biggest single shaper of our thoughts, beliefs and attitudes is a good place to start.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Self help books on 10:59 - Mar 25 with 1085 viewsBluebell

I'd say one of the worst things is to spend all day on a computer. If you have to do it for work then after work make sure you promise yourself not to turn the thing on.

As others have said, exercise whether it be at the gym or going for a walk, is very good for the mind as well as the body. It is much better to do it with a friend or friends too. Chatting about anything and everything takes your mind off any problems or worries you have. Anyway a problem shared is a problem halved.

Find a girlfriend J2. Being in love is the best thing in the world. If it is difficult in your line of work to meet people, join a dating site. I know it works as I have several friends who have found permanent partners that way. If it doesn't work romantically I am sure it is a way to make friend and meet meeting people.
Self help books on 11:00 - Mar 25 with 1081 viewsstrikalite

Self help books on 17:36 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Encyclopedia-Modern-Bodybuilding-Updated/dp/0684857

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/RSPB-Guide-Birdwatching-Step-step-Approach-Rspb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meditations-Penguin-Classics-Marcus-Aurelius/dp/0140449

Here is what I am NOT saying; be a bodybuilder, be a birdwatcher, be a stoic.

What I AM saying is; lift weights, get outside and pursue a healthy hobby, and remember how you are one of the luckiest people ever born.

I guarantee that if you are feeling down, stressed, unhappy then if you go to the gym and lift weights - not cardio, not machines, not foam rollers, but squat dead overhead and bench - then you will absolutely 100% feel better. Same with going out and pursuing a cheap healthy hobby. Same with having a positive mindset.

You feel how you think.

Agree, the best way of boosting your Testosterone level by an absolute mile is lifting heavy sh!t! So many men now have ever increasing E2 levels due to this awful lifestyle we now all lead....

Take of this what you will, but there was a study where they took the bloods from kids with incredible results...

Watch this, like this guy actually....

Self help books on 13:31 - Mar 25 with 1032 viewsThrobbe

Self help books on 07:54 - Mar 25 by Benters

I do always pull over as its not the best road to pass,i do the same where ever i am .

knight of the road and all that.

What? One of the most uplifting aspects of cycling is annoying people with an exaggerated sense of their own importance!

Only joking.

Or am I?

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Self help books on 13:41 - Mar 25 with 1022 viewsNewcyBlue

Self help books on 10:59 - Mar 25 by Bluebell

I'd say one of the worst things is to spend all day on a computer. If you have to do it for work then after work make sure you promise yourself not to turn the thing on.

As others have said, exercise whether it be at the gym or going for a walk, is very good for the mind as well as the body. It is much better to do it with a friend or friends too. Chatting about anything and everything takes your mind off any problems or worries you have. Anyway a problem shared is a problem halved.

Find a girlfriend J2. Being in love is the best thing in the world. If it is difficult in your line of work to meet people, join a dating site. I know it works as I have several friends who have found permanent partners that way. If it doesn't work romantically I am sure it is a way to make friend and meet meeting people.

I was at sea when I was informed I would be going home to an empty house. The ex wife had met another bloke.

It has made me insecure, at times I am probably pretty close to ruining my relationship with MrsNewcy. I was probably pretty close this morning.

I went to the gym after watch and it helped immeasurably.

A relationship only makes you happier when you are able to love yourself for who you are.

I have too much time to think. I do a dangerous job and have Somali and Nigerian pirates waiting for an opportunity to have a go at my ship.

Confidence is a fragile thing really.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Self help books on 13:58 - Mar 25 with 992 viewsMJallday

in my opinion, self help books wont give you the answers you need. everyones indidvidual, there isnt a magic bullet

it sounds from your post, you are unhappy. so you've got to figure out why
* might be your job?
* might be your relationship with partner/family/friends?
* might be your in a rut - doing same thing over and over?
*might be your fed up with towsn performances ?
* might be a mix of things

whatever it is, you need to figure what it is making you unhappy. only you can answer that, not some book.

sometimes, a change is as good as a fix. in my early 20s i got like this, so on the spare of the moment, i just booked a flight to america, on my own - and went. 3 weeks i went out there, it was fab - came back a different person.

maybe just get away for a while? sounds like what you need is a change.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Self help books on 15:58 - Mar 25 with 944 viewshoppy

Self help books on 09:39 - Mar 25 by Benters

Any sort of exercise gives you a enormous ammount of well being.

So does feeding the pigeons, and sometimes the sparrows too...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Self help books on 17:47 - Mar 25 with 896 viewsBenters

Self help books on 10:59 - Mar 25 by Bluebell

That last part if you have a girlfriend do you have to love her ?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024