Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing 16:12 - Mar 24 with 2268 viewsbournemouthblue

but we would probably go down, rebuild, restructure but most importantly accelerate the development of the very promising youngsters we have coming through. I suspect we'd win League One as well, I don't think it would be a walk in the park but there's a lot of talent in our squad despite the current underperfoming. Whether star players were to go or not?

Kenlock, Emmanuel, Nydam, Bishop, Benyu, Morris and Dozzell. They could be the core of our side for seasons to come, much in the way Bent, Westlake, Richards, Price and Supple were?

We also had Garvan, Haynes and a lesser extent Trotter who won the youth cup with Supple in the side?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 16:17 - Mar 24 with 2230 viewsGeoffSentence

Isn't this pretty much the same idea as that Belgian bloke in charge of Charlton had, that it was impossible to compete financially so the best way was to bring the youngsters through, rebuild using them and sell one every now and then for big money to finance it all.

They are currently 15th in league 1.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 16:51 - Mar 24 with 2158 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I for one have never been confident about what our prospects would be like as a League One club. I remember having conversations like this back when we were having those couple of mid-table seasons at the end of Royle/start of Magilton's reign. Maybe I'm being harsh on the youngsters but I'm not sure they would form enough of a core to see us straight back up. We'd need a complete overhaul IMO. And if it didn't work, one year in that tier could easily become three or more.
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 16:54 - Mar 24 with 2149 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I find this way of thinking mind boggling.

Only one of those players has a decent amount of league football experience under his belt and he is injury prone.... and you want them to be the nucleus of a squad that's going to win league one!?

If we go down and you put that lot in the team together... we'll be in league two quicker than you can say baked beans.
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 16:57 - Mar 24 with 2128 viewsTJS

Sorry but relegation to League One is unthinkable.
We could end up down there for years.
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:00 - Mar 24 with 2102 viewsSwansea_Blue

What evidence is there to suggest:
a) we'd rebuild
b) we'd restructure
c) we'd accelerate the development of promising youngsters

You may be right, but I'd be interested to see if there's anything to suggest those things would happen.

Our hand would be forced so we'd inevitably have to do a bit of (a) as we'd lose any players who could get a gig at another championship club, we'd possibly lose Mick and his backroom team and we'd have to cut costs.

But as for (b) and (c), aren't you just guessing?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:03 - Mar 24 with 2084 viewsITFC_Forever

Can't believe you're so blase about it.

If we went down, we're more likely to stay down for a few years rather than come back up as some kind of resurgent phoenix from the ashes.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:15 - Mar 24 with 2043 viewsGavTWTD

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:00 - Mar 24 by Swansea_Blue

What evidence is there to suggest:
a) we'd rebuild
b) we'd restructure
c) we'd accelerate the development of promising youngsters

You may be right, but I'd be interested to see if there's anything to suggest those things would happen.

Our hand would be forced so we'd inevitably have to do a bit of (a) as we'd lose any players who could get a gig at another championship club, we'd possibly lose Mick and his backroom team and we'd have to cut costs.

But as for (b) and (c), aren't you just guessing?

This.

We'd probably just pick a new manager and it would just be a roll of the dice as to how it would go. There are no guarantees so we have to stay in this division.

There doesn't feel to be any big plan at all.

The club's value would be lower so ME wouldn't sell either.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:15 - Mar 24 with 2034 viewstheipswichman

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 16:51 - Mar 24 by NoCanariesAllowed

I for one have never been confident about what our prospects would be like as a League One club. I remember having conversations like this back when we were having those couple of mid-table seasons at the end of Royle/start of Magilton's reign. Maybe I'm being harsh on the youngsters but I'm not sure they would form enough of a core to see us straight back up. We'd need a complete overhaul IMO. And if it didn't work, one year in that tier could easily become three or more.

Agreed, these players need game time over the next few years but have to be slowly introduced. Perhaps some loans to gain experience like Benyu/Patterson with the former impressing for Aldershot by all accounts, but they couldn't form a league 1 title winning side with their lack of experience yet.

Going down to league 1 would be a disaster imo as we'd still have the same clueless owner just in a lower league and no doubt with an even tighter budget.
Login to get fewer ads

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:18 - Mar 24 with 2015 viewstextbackup

I personally think we'd go down and remaining in that league for the foreseeable future and play in front of crowds of 9-10k

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:19 - Mar 24 with 2007 viewsHARRY10

Relegation would only be of any use were it to be the disappearance of ME from our club.

Allowing him to remain would undoubtedly see us stay down.

Evans is the problem, and only something that would see him go would be acceptable
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:19 - Mar 24 with 1999 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:15 - Mar 24 by theipswichman

Agreed, these players need game time over the next few years but have to be slowly introduced. Perhaps some loans to gain experience like Benyu/Patterson with the former impressing for Aldershot by all accounts, but they couldn't form a league 1 title winning side with their lack of experience yet.

Going down to league 1 would be a disaster imo as we'd still have the same clueless owner just in a lower league and no doubt with an even tighter budget.

The budget issue would worry me too. Just because we go down a division, doesn't mean we would suddenly be a rich man in a poor house. Marcus would likely immediately look for ways to cut wages, sell off a great deal of the squad and not be prepared to spend more than a couple £100k tops on what would need to be a new spine of the team by that point. I think we'd still get outspent by anyone serious about getting out of that division.

As for the youngsters, I wasn't that confident on the youngsters we had when I was having such conversations back in 2005/06. And that was a bloody FA Youth Cup winning crop. Relying so heavily on the academy just wouldn't work.
on 17:20 - Mar 24 with 1994 views_

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:22 - Mar 24 with 1982 viewsSwansea_Blue

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:15 - Mar 24 by GavTWTD

This.

We'd probably just pick a new manager and it would just be a roll of the dice as to how it would go. There are no guarantees so we have to stay in this division.

There doesn't feel to be any big plan at all.

The club's value would be lower so ME wouldn't sell either.

"roll of the dice" indeed. That's exactly how I see ME's tenure so far. Maybe harsh as I've no idea what goes on in the boardroom, but that's what it looks like from the outside.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:24 - Mar 24 with 1957 viewsKeaneish

Getting relegated will be a disaster. ME's interest has gone already let alone being further away from getting to the PL. Selling the 80 million burden as a L1 outfit would be more difficult. We'd be burdened with high wages for at least a season. Fans aren't going now let alone in L1.

We will be in deep trouble should we slide. Talk of rebuilding may be possible but its a gamble and gambling hasn't been kind to us for the last 15 years. I don't fancy that any more.

Give me Monk to lead us...oh no, he's gone.
Warburton. Wait.
Rowett. Oh.

Someone in touch with the modern game not weighed down by 25 years of...yawn, experience. All we need are some new ideas and a bit of a cash injection. Easily within our remit...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:25 - Mar 24 with 1947 viewsDarth_Koont

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 16:17 - Mar 24 by GeoffSentence

Isn't this pretty much the same idea as that Belgian bloke in charge of Charlton had, that it was impossible to compete financially so the best way was to bring the youngsters through, rebuild using them and sell one every now and then for big money to finance it all.

Agree with the theory behind Bournemouth's post but it needs to be grounded in the risk you mention.

It could certainly be a launchpad for a more sustainable and younger team but if Charlton can't manage it with all the League One/Championship potential in their catchment area then we should be very wary.

On the plus side, if we do stay up as seems most likely we have already brought through some very decent younger options this season in Webster, Emmanuel and Kenlock plus we have Dozzell and Bishop who could easily step up/get back next season. All's not lost. Certainly would be surprised if the likely squad for next year wasn't stronger because of the year they've gone through.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 17:27]

Pronouns: He/Him

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:34 - Mar 24 with 1907 viewsjpring89

Huddersfield were in a similar position to us last year. Look at them now. From relagation candidates to promotion candidates. Dropping to League 1 would be awful Sheff Utd will probably come up this year but how long have they been there.
At least in this league we will always be one step away from the premier league. The biggest problem we have our owner who shows little to no interest in our club apart from the fact he unfortunatly owns the club.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:46 - Mar 24 with 1863 viewsbournemouthblue

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 16:17 - Mar 24 by GeoffSentence

That isn't my plan at all but it would certainly give our best batch of youngsters for a decade a better chance to develop beside decent pros and mid-20's lower leaguers we seem to be picking up

Edit: For what it's worth, I genuinely think we have a decent base for a Championship side next season provided we can ride the relegation battle this season. We desperately need a decent striker who can do the Murphy role. That's why I think we'd storm League One provided all our assets were not flogged off at knockdown prices. I accept there are no certainties but it might not be quite as disastrous as others may fear particularly if turned out to be an enjoyable season.

[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 17:58]

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 12:22 - Mar 25 with 1484 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 17:15 - Mar 24 by theipswichman

The young players don't go on loan as much as they should to league 1 club standard IMO, not sure if we have any yoof players on loan in the football league currently in fact?

Are our young players even capable of playing football league and further more capable of winning the league. I am not sure if they are...
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 13:15 - Mar 25 with 1404 viewsbournemouthblue

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 12:22 - Mar 25 by Northern_Blue81

The young players don't go on loan as much as they should to league 1 club standard IMO, not sure if we have any yoof players on loan in the football league currently in fact?

Are our young players even capable of playing football league and further more capable of winning the league. I am not sure if they are...

The cynic in me wonders if they are going to the Conference for us to build up relationships with these lower league sides given our move towards picking up lower league gems?

That said of our current youth, who could play League One standard?
Bishop, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Digby, Dozzell?

I do think we have a decent batch coming through, historically our best players have tended to come through our system
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 13:15]

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 13:17 - Mar 25 with 1398 viewstractorshark

The point about money is very important.
Evans would cut his cloth accordingly and there will still be big spenders in that division - Pompey could be one if they go up and the Disney bloke comes in.

However, it would spare us from the tedium of international breaks.
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 13:32 - Mar 25 with 1357 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 13:15 - Mar 25 by bournemouthblue

The cynic in me wonders if they are going to the Conference for us to build up relationships with these lower league sides given our move towards picking up lower league gems?

That said of our current youth, who could play League One standard?
Bishop, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Digby, Dozzell?

I do think we have a decent batch coming through, historically our best players have tended to come through our system
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 13:15]

Bishop, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Digby, Dozzell and Webster i would class as first team squad as they have all played 1st team football this season.

Sorry i should have been more specific on the players.

The rest I am not sure where they fit in, if they are not deemed good enough for loan spells then they are unlikely to get in the team, unless you are Keiffer Moore!
Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 13:38 - Mar 25 with 1338 viewsbournemouthblue

Relegation to League One would be highly embarassing on 13:32 - Mar 25 by Northern_Blue81

Bishop, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Digby, Dozzell and Webster i would class as first team squad as they have all played 1st team football this season.

Sorry i should have been more specific on the players.

The rest I am not sure where they fit in, if they are not deemed good enough for loan spells then they are unlikely to get in the team, unless you are Keiffer Moore!

So would I and that's why they are in it

If a player is capable of mixing it at that level, they're probably squad quality

Conference/League Two makes more sense, they still need a bit of work that that experience will bring

Edit: Keiffer Moore isn't really a youngster but could do it in League One potentially. MM has seen something in him, he's a big lad and has some ability he feels he can work with.

In the summer we need a top class Murphy replacement who we are prepared to pay for, whether that is Ward at Rotherham, Hugill at Preston or somebody off the radar.

Pitman will go I suspect along with one or two others. I'd like to see Huws join along perhaps with Diagouraga and Spence.

The jury is still out on Taylor and Williams.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 13:43]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024