Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anybody know much about cricket 13:15 - Mar 25 with 1695 viewsgtsb1966

I'm reading a near full page article in the i paper about a young English cricketer who is seen as a future superstar. He is a leg spinner called Mason Crane and is being compared to the great Shane Warne. Even the Aussies are raving about him. Fingers crossed.
Does anybody know much about cricket on 13:36 - Mar 25 with 1636 viewsjimsymBLUE

He became the first oversea's player in the Sheffield Shield (Oz domestic first class) since Imran Khan 25+ years ago. They must rate a pom highly to give him a go for NSW. Been mentored over the winter by Stuart McGill and broke records in the Sydney Grade, which is pretty strong a tough place for a young Englishman to flourish, I remember playing for Souths in 2000 and got just abused constantly!!!
Hopefully we've got a gem on our hands but there have been handfuls of promising young leggies who have fallen by the wayside in the past 15 years. Drier wickets in England from last year onwards won't harm his chances though.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Does anybody know much about cricket on 14:07 - Mar 25 with 1566 viewsgtsb1966

Does anybody know much about cricket on 13:36 - Mar 25 by jimsymBLUE

He became the first oversea's player in the Sheffield Shield (Oz domestic first class) since Imran Khan 25+ years ago. They must rate a pom highly to give him a go for NSW. Been mentored over the winter by Stuart McGill and broke records in the Sydney Grade, which is pretty strong a tough place for a young Englishman to flourish, I remember playing for Souths in 2000 and got just abused constantly!!!
Hopefully we've got a gem on our hands but there have been handfuls of promising young leggies who have fallen by the wayside in the past 15 years. Drier wickets in England from last year onwards won't harm his chances though.

Thanks for that. Any chance of making next winters ashes side or do you think it's a bit too early for him at 20 years old?
Does anybody know much about cricket on 14:47 - Mar 25 with 1507 viewsBlue_Moses

Does anybody know much about cricket on 14:07 - Mar 25 by gtsb1966

Thanks for that. Any chance of making next winters ashes side or do you think it's a bit too early for him at 20 years old?

Nope, we won't commit to spinners on Australian wickets
Does anybody know much about cricket on 16:39 - Mar 25 with 1434 viewsfeelingblue

Does anybody know much about cricket on 13:36 - Mar 25 by jimsymBLUE

Funny isn't. I watched him playing in the MCC schools vs England Schools game at Lords a couple of summers ago, and he did not look like the one who would make it.

As you say playing in the Sheffield Shield is a big compliment.
Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:15 - Mar 25 with 1254 viewsbournemouthblue

Does anybody know much about cricket on 16:39 - Mar 25 by feelingblue

Funny isn't. I watched him playing in the MCC schools vs England Schools game at Lords a couple of summers ago, and he did not look like the one who would make it.

As you say playing in the Sheffield Shield is a big compliment.

Leg spin is a tricky art form, it takes time to develop those killer balls and learn how to balance the different deliveries effectively

If you get it right it's lethal but few leg spinners have the control to apply the pressure someone like Warne could achieve. They're perhaps more effective in Oz because the pitches are fast and bouncey, requiring more spin to be effective

In England, our pitches are suited to finger spinners who just have to bowl accurately and let the pitch do the work. The odd one turns, the others skid on, bowl a decent length and put the pressure on the batsman. In other countries, you need more than that and that's often why we struggle against bowlers with more deliveries in their locker.

Cricketer's are often developed through circumstances, our pitches simply offer more for bowlers, whether it's green seamers, overhead conditions or sticky pitches. It's a difficult place to bat. You tend to need accuracy and patience to be successful here, there's no need to bowl express pace or have five different spin variations.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 23:20]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:19 - Mar 25 with 1247 viewsvapour_trail

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:15 - Mar 25 by bournemouthblue

Leg spin is a tricky art form, it takes time to develop those killer balls and learn how to balance the different deliveries effectively

If you get it right it's lethal but few leg spinners have the control to apply the pressure someone like Warne could achieve. They're perhaps more effective in Oz because the pitches are fast and bouncey, requiring more spin to be effective

In England, our pitches are suited to finger spinners who just have to bowl accurately and let the pitch do the work. The odd one turns, the others skid on, bowl a decent length and put the pressure on the batsman. In other countries, you need more than that and that's often why we struggle against bowlers with more deliveries in their locker.

Cricketer's are often developed through circumstances, our pitches simply offer more for bowlers, whether it's green seamers, overhead conditions or sticky pitches. It's a difficult place to bat. You tend to need accuracy and patience to be successful here, there's no need to bowl express pace or have five different spin variations.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 23:20]

I don't think I've encountered a sportsperson in any field more mesmerising than Warne. The bloke was an absolute tubby little genius. A pill popping hero.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:21 - Mar 25 with 1240 viewsbournemouthblue

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:19 - Mar 25 by vapour_trail

I don't think I've encountered a sportsperson in any field more mesmerising than Warne. The bloke was an absolute tubby little genius. A pill popping hero.

He's arguably the greatest bowler of all time, it wasn't just his technical ability but the aura, ego and intelligence to go with it

He's a once in a lifetime player imho

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:28 - Mar 25 with 1225 viewsvapour_trail

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:21 - Mar 25 by bournemouthblue

He's arguably the greatest bowler of all time, it wasn't just his technical ability but the aura, ego and intelligence to go with it

He's a once in a lifetime player imho

That's a tough call to make.

I loved watching Waqar - I saw a fair bit of him at surrey. And Ambrose. And Donald. And Mcgrath. And You might say Murali was more effective.

Warne brought total theatre to the game though, so you really couldn't turn your head away. Every ball was an event. You're right, he was a one off.

Login to get fewer ads

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:34 - Mar 25 with 1209 viewsbournemouthblue

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:28 - Mar 25 by vapour_trail

That's a tough call to make.

I loved watching Waqar - I saw a fair bit of him at surrey. And Ambrose. And Donald. And Mcgrath. And You might say Murali was more effective.

Warne brought total theatre to the game though, so you really couldn't turn your head away. Every ball was an event. You're right, he was a one off.

I was a big fan of Wasim Akram. He was my hero as a youngster, he had the ability to bowl unplayable swinging deliveries at pace

I'm left handed too so he was very much the player who inspired me

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:40 - Mar 25 with 1193 viewsvapour_trail

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:34 - Mar 25 by bournemouthblue

I was a big fan of Wasim Akram. He was my hero as a youngster, he had the ability to bowl unplayable swinging deliveries at pace

I'm left handed too so he was very much the player who inspired me

Waqar and Wasim were a wonderful thing to behold.

I'm cack handed so don't want to damn anyone as my inspiration.

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:44 - Mar 25 with 1180 viewsneilvanlimbeek

Looking up for England spinning dept with him and Jack Leach.

Was bowled out once by a 14 year old Chris Woakes - since played with his brother!

Hoping Aaron Thomason of Warwickshire makes it all the way - was his captain when he played adult cricket at 7 years old!
Does anybody know much about cricket on 00:23 - Mar 26 with 1144 viewsMelford

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:19 - Mar 25 by vapour_trail

I was in from this

His first ball in Test Cricket on English soil. Look at Gatting's face, he can't believe he's just been bowled.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Does anybody know much about cricket on 00:29 - Mar 26 with 1131 viewsvapour_trail

Does anybody know much about cricket on 00:23 - Mar 26 by Melford

I was in from this

His first ball in Test Cricket on English soil. Look at Gatting's face, he can't believe he's just been bowled.

It's still astonishing. He reached the peak of his powers towards then end though. He was a proper menace.

I think Graeme Swann got to a very high level just for a much shorter period, but he has an aura and could make a ball spin on glass, another magician. Like Warne he had impact as well always struck early doors

Does anybody know much about cricket on 03:01 - Mar 26 with 1062 viewsbournemouthblue

Does anybody know much about cricket on 23:44 - Mar 25 by neilvanlimbeek

Looking up for England spinning dept with him and Jack Leach.

Was bowled out once by a 14 year old Chris Woakes - since played with his brother!

Hoping Aaron Thomason of Warwickshire makes it all the way - was his captain when he played adult cricket at 7 years old!

He's not the best player I have ever got out but I did clean up Dougie Hondo in a club game, he really shouldn't have played for spin :p

Suffolk have produced two decent left arm bowlers recently in Reece Topley and Tymal Mills. They're two very different players but both have their strengths.

Sam Curran looks like a real player also, shades of Wasim Akram in his style?

Yorkshire have a young quicker bowler who they have been throwing into games as well?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024