Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Mods about? 15:43 - Mar 25 with 3686 viewsLord_Lucan

Just watching this

Quite interesting. I never knew that John Lydon was first choice for Jimmy - but they couldn't get insurance on him.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any Mods about? on 21:48 - Mar 25 with 1722 viewsblueislander

Any Mods about? on 21:44 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

We are discussing the Mod renewal. Who said Modernism was the sole possession of the original Mod movement?

I was discussing the real Mod movement, not some regurgitated revival.
Any Mods about? on 22:37 - Mar 25 with 1703 viewsartsbossbeard

Any Mods about? on 21:48 - Mar 25 by blueislander

Ha! If you had to summarise TWTD's in one thread, this would nail it.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Any Mods about? on 11:21 - Mar 26 with 1645 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any Mods about? on 19:29 - Mar 25 by Bluespeed225

He was! Small world. Do you know that Howard and the Norwich lot? We threatened to throw him over after their promotion and he got a bit gobby. He hasn't spoken to us since!

Yeah I know those yellow mods (though he's really an 80s soul boy, truth be told).

Poll: W or W

Any Mods about? on 11:24 - Mar 26 with 1640 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any Mods about? on 21:48 - Mar 25 by blueislander

Well in that case, Mod was over by 1963 and what followed was an on-the-radar populist variation.

Poll: W or W

Any Mods about? on 12:37 - Mar 26 with 1616 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Mods about? on 11:24 - Mar 26 by BLUEBEAT

Well in that case, Mod was over by 1963 and what followed was an on-the-radar populist variation.

Pretty much this. The original Mods were 1950's Mods listening to Jazz.

Everything evolves, in fact this is essentially was Mod is all about.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Any Mods about? on 14:34 - Mar 26 with 1566 viewsBluespeed225

Any Mods about? on 11:24 - Mar 26 by BLUEBEAT

after Easter 64' it was pop, but thats when the Brit bands started to form their own take on things. I used to be in awe of any originals that I met, though now I know it was a 3/4 year thing max with them as times changed quickly back then, so now i take everything with a pinch of salt! They all ended up listening to fcukin Queen in the 70's, so most of them didn't have a clue!
Any Mods about? on 14:59 - Mar 26 with 1549 viewsblueislander

Any Mods about? on 12:37 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Pretty much this. The original Mods were 1950's Mods listening to Jazz.

Everything evolves, in fact this is essentially was Mod is all about.

In the 50s they were known as Beatniks, as opposed to the "Teds" . Mods who embraced Rythym and Blues as their music came to the fore in 63, and their counterparts were The Rockers. The Hippie movement came over here from the West Coast of the USA round about 65.
Any Mods about? on 15:17 - Mar 26 with 1526 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Mods about? on 14:59 - Mar 26 by blueislander

In the 50s they were known as Beatniks, as opposed to the "Teds" . Mods who embraced Rythym and Blues as their music came to the fore in 63, and their counterparts were The Rockers. The Hippie movement came over here from the West Coast of the USA round about 65.

Beatnicks were originally an American thing and were more arty, interested in literature, poems and the like. If anything they are more similar to a modern day Hipster. Saying Mods started in 64 is like saying Punk started in 77 whereas in fact it actually pretty much died in 77 as it blew up and went totally mainstream - same as Mods in 64. As I said previously original Mods were around in the late 50's. You are getting confused with origins and mainstream popularity.

Login to get fewer ads

Any Mods about? on 15:26 - Mar 26 with 1516 viewsblueislander

Any Mods about? on 15:17 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Beatnicks were originally an American thing and were more arty, interested in literature, poems and the like. If anything they are more similar to a modern day Hipster. Saying Mods started in 64 is like saying Punk started in 77 whereas in fact it actually pretty much died in 77 as it blew up and went totally mainstream - same as Mods in 64. As I said previously original Mods were around in the late 50's. You are getting confused with origins and mainstream popularity.

Certainly Beatniks originated in the States with the Beat Poets. When it came to the UK the Beatnik's music was Trad Jazz and Skiffle. I can assure you that Mods were not on anyone's radar in the 50s i was alive then , and with an elder brother , I was pretty much aware of what was going on. I am guessing that you have read somewhere about Mods in the 50s , they would have been a tiny minority, and did not call themselves Mods.
Any Mods about? on 15:44 - Mar 26 with 1492 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Mods about? on 15:26 - Mar 26 by blueislander

Certainly Beatniks originated in the States with the Beat Poets. When it came to the UK the Beatnik's music was Trad Jazz and Skiffle. I can assure you that Mods were not on anyone's radar in the 50s i was alive then , and with an elder brother , I was pretty much aware of what was going on. I am guessing that you have read somewhere about Mods in the 50s , they would have been a tiny minority, and did not call themselves Mods.

Don't be so fecking patronising, I haven't just read some stupid article.

If you were "Pretty much aware what was going on" you wouldn't have compared Mods to Beatnicks as original Mods in the late 50's were a rebellion against Beatnicks. They were Modernists which was later shortened to Mods. A lot of original Modernists / Mods will tell you that the movement imploded at the same time as you think it started - very much in the same way that contrary to mainstream belief Punk Rock pretty much finished in 1977.

You started this discussion by dismissing The Mod revival as it wasn't proper Mod music yet the music you refer to is pretty much a second wave in itself after Modern Jazz, Soul and Ska.

Any Mods about? on 15:54 - Mar 26 with 1480 viewsblueislander

Any Mods about? on 15:44 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Don't be so fecking patronising, I haven't just read some stupid article.

If you were "Pretty much aware what was going on" you wouldn't have compared Mods to Beatnicks as original Mods in the late 50's were a rebellion against Beatnicks. They were Modernists which was later shortened to Mods. A lot of original Modernists / Mods will tell you that the movement imploded at the same time as you think it started - very much in the same way that contrary to mainstream belief Punk Rock pretty much finished in 1977.

You started this discussion by dismissing The Mod revival as it wasn't proper Mod music yet the music you refer to is pretty much a second wave in itself after Modern Jazz, Soul and Ska.

Sorry if it sounded patronising, but I was alive and aware of various youth movements in the late 50s and early 60s, and I am guessing that you weren't? I think we are actually differing in definitions. I understand Mods to be those young people who dressed in a particular way: Tab collar shirts, ankle swinger trousers, cuban hill boots , parkas, PVC macs: rode Lambrettas and Vespas: and listened to R&B . You are describing something entirely different which was not in the general public conscience at the time.
Any Mods about? on 16:14 - Mar 26 with 1463 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Mods about? on 15:54 - Mar 26 by blueislander

Sorry if it sounded patronising, but I was alive and aware of various youth movements in the late 50s and early 60s, and I am guessing that you weren't? I think we are actually differing in definitions. I understand Mods to be those young people who dressed in a particular way: Tab collar shirts, ankle swinger trousers, cuban hill boots , parkas, PVC macs: rode Lambrettas and Vespas: and listened to R&B . You are describing something entirely different which was not in the general public conscience at the time.

Ok fair enough.

I am talking about the movement as a whole including the origins, and my argument I suppose was when you dismissed the Mod renewal - as Mod by its nature evolves. For me, if I were at a Mod do I would rather be listening to R&B or Soul over Tamla Mowtown or Jamaican Ska but as someone said earlier it is a broad church and there were also some fine bands to come out of the late 70's. The Mod movement hasn't ever completely gone away and is still popular in the East and West coasts of America, Canada and even Japan and Brazil.

Any Mods about? on 16:18 - Mar 26 with 1459 viewsblueislander

Any Mods about? on 16:14 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Ok fair enough.

I am talking about the movement as a whole including the origins, and my argument I suppose was when you dismissed the Mod renewal - as Mod by its nature evolves. For me, if I were at a Mod do I would rather be listening to R&B or Soul over Tamla Mowtown or Jamaican Ska but as someone said earlier it is a broad church and there were also some fine bands to come out of the late 70's. The Mod movement hasn't ever completely gone away and is still popular in the East and West coasts of America, Canada and even Japan and Brazil.

I guess I was going from your Original post which was about Quadrophenia , which was very much about the 60s Mods.
Any Mods about? on 16:27 - Mar 26 with 1448 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Mods about? on 16:18 - Mar 26 by blueislander

I guess I was going from your Original post which was about Quadrophenia , which was very much about the 60s Mods.

Ok fair enough.

There were plans to film a Quadrophenia 2 this year including Phil Daniels, Mark Wingett and Toyah but I think it has been permanently shelved.

Any Mods about? on 16:30 - Mar 26 with 1440 viewsblueislander

Any Mods about? on 16:27 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Ok fair enough.

There were plans to film a Quadrophenia 2 this year including Phil Daniels, Mark Wingett and Toyah but I think it has been permanently shelved.

Not sure that the soundtrack to Quadrophenia is that worthy. Not a patch on Tommy imo.
Any Mods about? on 16:35 - Mar 26 with 1435 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Mods about? on 16:30 - Mar 26 by blueislander

Not sure that the soundtrack to Quadrophenia is that worthy. Not a patch on Tommy imo.

Well by all accounts The Whos management weren't happy as the new film was to be Who-less.

I like Tommy but I prefer Quadrophenia

Any Mods about? on 16:38 - Mar 26 with 1431 viewsblueislander

Any Mods about? on 16:35 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Well by all accounts The Whos management weren't happy as the new film was to be Who-less.

I like Tommy but I prefer Quadrophenia

There would have to copyright isues there I would think.
Any Mods about? on 21:37 - Mar 26 with 1386 viewsBluespeed225

Any Mods about? on 16:14 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Ok fair enough.

Used to bump into a bunch of Jap kids a lot in early 90's at Acid Jazz do's, which has probably been my faveourite time on the scene. To say they were 'obsessive' is an understatement. Coming to London to study had been their ambition in life. All had great hair! For some reason Indonesia has a very vibrant Mod scene!
Any Mods about? on 17:08 - Mar 27 with 1315 viewsPinewoodblue

Any Mods about? on 16:30 - Mar 26 by blueislander

Tommy starts a short run at New Wolsey Theatre this Thursday. Cast of 22 actors and musicians.

All or Nothing the musical, which was on at NWT last year, goes on tour again shortly, includes a few days in Chelmsford and later three performances in Kings Lynn. Just saying......

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024