Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any mechanics / handy car people around? 15:23 - Mar 26 with 2832 viewsclive_baker

Went to drive my car this morning and there's a noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. It's only when I turn and it sounds like the clicking / 'springing' of a spring. Guessing it's suspension related. Doesn't appear to effect performance / driving but I'm not prepared to risk it. Anyone had this before?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 15:30 - Mar 26 with 2788 viewsLord_Lucan

Wheel bearing. You can drive it ok but it will need fixing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 15:30 - Mar 26 with 2789 viewsleftback

Wheel bearing innit
Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 15:43 - Mar 26 with 2758 viewsPendejo

If it only sounds when turning may be steering rack or associated kit as wheel bearings will make a sound even when driving straight. [I would have thought]

Either way sounds like an excuse for a tradesman to rape your bank account

This place looks like the garage I used to MOT my car recently, and conversely to what I've said above they did a fantastic job for a reasonable amount that was pre-agreed.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 15:44 - Mar 26 with 2753 viewsblueprint

If it is a wheel bearing then it is best fixed sooner rather than later. Wheels have been known to fall off because of a failed bearing.
Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 15:51 - Mar 26 with 2734 viewsbobfromnewmarket

take your car to Miriam Margolyes for repair - Humber Doucy Lane

Poll: What one word would you use to sum up today's ITFC Performance?

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 16:01 - Mar 26 with 2715 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Wheel bearings tend to whine/scrape for a while first. What you've got is a knackered CV joint. Any mechanic could change it for you in 30 mins
Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 16:48 - Mar 26 with 2631 viewsearlsgreenblue

What sort of car are we talking about? When you say turning, do you mean wheels rotatating or turning of the steering wheel? I think your talking steering wheel- if so suspect a broken coil spring, be careful they can rub on the wheel rim or tyre if indeed that's what it is, pm me if you need help, I have a recovery truck & workshop.....
Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 16:50 - Mar 26 with 2627 viewsNewcyBlue

Is it worse on hard over to one side / both sides?

If so, then probably a CV Joint.

What car is it?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 16:51 - Mar 26 with 2618 viewsLord_Lucan

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 16:01 - Mar 26 by FrowsyArmLarry

Wheel bearings tend to whine/scrape for a while first. What you've got is a knackered CV joint. Any mechanic could change it for you in 30 mins

Thinking about it you are probably correct.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 17:20 - Mar 26 with 2574 viewsMJallday

wheel bearing, suspension bush/cv joint or suspension coil.

youll know if its a wheel bearing if you get feedback through the steering wheel, and a lot of road noise, which will actually get better at faster speed.

also worth checking the tred accross the three surfaces, inner, mid and out to check for even wear - if its even, chances are its suspension related rather than wheel bearing. only true way to tell is to get the wheel off tbh

hth
[Post edited 26 Mar 2017 17:21]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 18:04 - Mar 26 with 2512 viewsBluedanW

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 17:20 - Mar 26 by MJallday

wheel bearing, suspension bush/cv joint or suspension coil.

youll know if its a wheel bearing if you get feedback through the steering wheel, and a lot of road noise, which will actually get better at faster speed.

also worth checking the tred accross the three surfaces, inner, mid and out to check for even wear - if its even, chances are its suspension related rather than wheel bearing. only true way to tell is to get the wheel off tbh

hth
[Post edited 26 Mar 2017 17:21]

I have noticed this noise too in my car over the last few days.
I had to have both outer cV joint gators replaced to pass my MOT in January.
There was an advisory for "play in the steering wheel rack" too but the MOT guy said that it wasn't that bad and wasn't desperately needed doing
Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 19:00 - Mar 26 with 2457 viewsMJallday

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 18:04 - Mar 26 by BluedanW

I have noticed this noise too in my car over the last few days.
I had to have both outer cV joint gators replaced to pass my MOT in January.
There was an advisory for "play in the steering wheel rack" too but the MOT guy said that it wasn't that bad and wasn't desperately needed doing

the steering rack can be mended, but its a pig to do. did mine not so long back.

just done all 4 tyres too, 200 a pop :(

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 20:56 - Mar 26 with 2369 viewsgiant_stow

I had a really similar problem and also posted on here for advice. In my case it Turned out to be a f'king great bump in the tyre where it was all ready to bust / minor mirical that it hadn't already. The garage bods laughed their heads off at my confusion - took snaps and everything. Good luck!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 21:01 - Mar 26 with 2359 viewsMJallday

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 20:56 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

I had a really similar problem and also posted on here for advice. In my case it Turned out to be a f'king great bump in the tyre where it was all ready to bust / minor mirical that it hadn't already. The garage bods laughed their heads off at my confusion - took snaps and everything. Good luck!

yeah thats called cupping/pitting. mine gets it regularly due to the suspension setup

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 21:04 - Mar 26 with 2354 viewsgiant_stow

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 21:01 - Mar 26 by MJallday

yeah thats called cupping/pitting. mine gets it regularly due to the suspension setup

...it was sort of bulging from where the rubber meats the metal? I think you might have replied to my query too - twtd-ers are really good at helping each other and sharing knowledge.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2017 21:07]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 13:16 - Mar 27 with 2196 viewsclive_baker

Thanks all for your thoughts on this. It's an Audi A4 about 4 years old.

I've booked it in to the garage for Thursday. Taking it to my local one, seems to have good reviews online and it's only down the road. I've never needed to use them before but I mentioned the fact I a stones throw away on the phone, and will drop it into conversation when I take it there on Thursday. You never know, he might feel less inclined to shaft me if he knows I'm local. Or at least perhaps he'll apply some metaphorical lube when he metaphorically bends me over and roasts me.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 13:28 - Mar 27 with 2169 viewshoppy

Any mechanics / handy car people around? on 13:16 - Mar 27 by clive_baker

Thanks all for your thoughts on this. It's an Audi A4 about 4 years old.

I've booked it in to the garage for Thursday. Taking it to my local one, seems to have good reviews online and it's only down the road. I've never needed to use them before but I mentioned the fact I a stones throw away on the phone, and will drop it into conversation when I take it there on Thursday. You never know, he might feel less inclined to shaft me if he knows I'm local. Or at least perhaps he'll apply some metaphorical lube when he metaphorically bends me over and roasts me.

At least if his place gets trashed by stone throwing, he'll know where to come looking.

Hope you get sorted ok, anyway.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024