Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services 19:14 - Mar 26 with 6236 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

That's terrible.

Should be made so intelligence services are the exception all sites like whatsapp.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39396578

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 16:52 - Mar 27 with 1197 viewsBOjK

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 16:48 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Apples and chocolate oranges

You are right. A better analogy would be if the CCTV was only made available to blackmailers, blaggers and fraudsters who would also be given a copy of your front-door key.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 17:02 - Mar 27 with 1177 viewsBlueLikeJazz

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 16:48 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Really?
"I'm prepared to give up privacy for the sake of mine and my family's safety."
Either you think people have a right to privacy or they don't.
I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 17:30 - Mar 27 with 1142 viewsClausThomsen

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 17:32 - Mar 27 with 1136 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 17:02 - Mar 27 by BlueLikeJazz

Really?
"I'm prepared to give up privacy for the sake of mine and my family's safety."
Either you think people have a right to privacy or they don't.

Are you seriously asking why I think there's a difference between CCTV cameras in every persons bedroom and whether the security services can get access to whatsapp messages rather then them being encrypted?

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 17:41 - Mar 27 with 1104 viewsBlueLikeJazz

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 17:32 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Are you seriously asking why I think there's a difference between CCTV cameras in every persons bedroom and whether the security services can get access to whatsapp messages rather then them being encrypted?

I was being slightly (and possibly inappropriately) flippant, I grant you, but the 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' mob really grind my gears. I'd be interested to know exactly what limits you think *should* be placed on state surveillance, because you don't really sound as if you've thought the implications through for more than about a minute, to be honest.
I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 18:18 - Mar 27 with 1063 viewsDanTheMan

Problem is that with encryption, there isn't a "you can view these people but not these people". It doesn't work like that, it's designed specifically not to work like that.

So if it's broken for one person, it is broken for all people.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:05 - Mar 27 with 1030 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 18:18 - Mar 27 by DanTheMan

Problem is that with encryption, there isn't a "you can view these people but not these people". It doesn't work like that, it's designed specifically not to work like that.

So if it's broken for one person, it is broken for all people.

Which isn't a problem imo

They aren't gonna care about someone sexting their missus. But they would be able to find out what the nutter from last week said two minutes before killing innocent people

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:10 - Mar 27 with 1024 viewsLord_Lucan

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:05 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

They aren't gonna care about someone sexting their missus. But they would be able to find out what the nutter from last week said two minutes before killing innocent people

Rommy, let me put your mind at rest.

Despite what he tells you, "The Man" can see everything - whenever he wants.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:10 - Mar 27 with 1024 viewsJ2BLUE

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 22:34 - Mar 26 by The_Romford_Blue

I've had a think about it too.

I wrote an essay on it encryption and privacy in school once which involved 2 weeks of research

I believe anyone choosing privacy over safety (not just from terrorists) is absolutely crazy. This attacker could have spent weeks on whatsapp (he was on there 2 minutes before going over the bridge) going through every last stage with someone from ISIS on how to do it.

I'm crazy and an idiot then.

Perhaps you'd consent to being microchipped so you couldn't be kidnapped? Perhaps wear a little camera which records everything you see and say to avoid being killed?

Where's your red line?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:27 - Mar 27 with 1007 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:10 - Mar 27 by J2BLUE

I'm crazy and an idiot then.

Perhaps you'd consent to being microchipped so you couldn't be kidnapped? Perhaps wear a little camera which records everything you see and say to avoid being killed?

Where's your red line?

I don't agree with either of those.

I just think security services should be able to see what people say. Obviously they need to have a genuine reason to such as finding why a terrorist attacker was using whatsapp just before killing those people.

Or what a peadophile was saying seconds before killing a child.

The words shouldnt just be lost

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:28 - Mar 27 with 1006 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:10 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

Rommy, let me put your mind at rest.

Despite what he tells you, "The Man" can see everything - whenever he wants.

Not with end to end encryption

That's what I'm led to believe

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:32 - Mar 27 with 1001 viewsJ2BLUE

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:27 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

I just think security services should be able to see what people say. Obviously they need to have a genuine reason to such as finding why a terrorist attacker was using whatsapp just before killing those people.

Hitler was in power less than 100 years ago.

Just saying.

Truly impaired.

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:34 - Mar 27 with 1000 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:32 - Mar 27 by J2BLUE

Hitler was in power less than 100 years ago.

Just saying.

I don't understand your point

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:38 - Mar 27 with 989 viewsJ2BLUE

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:34 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

I don't understand your point

We think we live in a democratic world which can never change. Less than 100 years ago Hitler walked the earth. It's not impossible we will one day see a savoury character become PM or gain significant power. Suddenly the surveillance to 'keep us safe' does anything but.

Truly impaired.

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:40 - Mar 27 with 986 viewsLankHenners

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:27 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Thing is though, if would-be terrorists or other nasty types knew that security services could see their messages on whatsapp, they'd just communicate another way on another platform.

It seems an overly-simple proposal to a complicated problem put forward by someone who is clearly somewhat technologically illiterate.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:45 - Mar 27 with 975 viewsElderGrizzly

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:05 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

We/they can see it.

The news is all a lot of bluster over anything like this
I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:50 - Mar 27 with 962 viewsElderGrizzly

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:40 - Mar 27 by LankHenners

Thing is though, if would-be terrorists or other nasty types knew that security services could see their messages on whatsapp, they'd just communicate another way on another platform.

It seems an overly-simple proposal to a complicated problem put forward by someone who is clearly somewhat technologically illiterate.

They tend to not overthink it in that way tbh. These apps are much more difficult to get access to data for, but not completely so. That's good enough for most, as not everyone can be watched and it's not a 'trawl' for people. It needs to be targetted.

The companies involved could make it easier for certain groups, but it's not impossible now. If time is critical, then it is a real balls ache.

I'm sure we'll see more of this in the months and years to come, but "The Man" as Lucan puts it, will always find a way
I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:50 - Mar 27 with 961 viewsLord_Lucan

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:28 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Not with end to end encryption

That's what I'm led to believe

Oh Rommy

Rommy Rommy Rommy

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:55 - Mar 27 with 946 viewsDanTheMan

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:50 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

Oh Rommy

Rommy Rommy Rommy

No, seriously. I'd be absolutely amazed if they could decrypt messages on mass.

Because if they could, we'd have already seen the attacks in the wild from non-Government agencies, especially black and grey hats. They'd have a field day with it.

Just to be clear, what they can do (and was confirmed recently in the CIA leaks) is install malware to intercept messages before they become encrypted in the first place. They already have this capability, will have done for some time and you'd be a fool to think they couldn't. What Amber Rudd is suggesting is entirely different kettle of fish.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 20:04]

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:59 - Mar 27 with 935 viewsDanTheMan

It's not about that. You can't selectively break encryption for Government agencies. Even if we pretend they have only good intentions, if you introduce a back door into encryption it could be exploited by absolutely anyone.

Also many businesses rely on end to end encryption working. Every time you send your bank details online, those messages will be encrypted (unless it's a very dodgy site). If they weren't, someone who wanted those details could just intercept the message and take your credit card details.

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 20:06 - Mar 27 with 908 viewsLord_Lucan

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 19:55 - Mar 27 by DanTheMan

No, seriously. I'd be absolutely amazed if they could decrypt messages on mass.

Because if they could, we'd have already seen the attacks in the wild from non-Government agencies, especially black and grey hats. They'd have a field day with it.

Just to be clear, what they can do (and was confirmed recently in the CIA leaks) is install malware to intercept messages before they become encrypted in the first place. They already have this capability, will have done for some time and you'd be a fool to think they couldn't. What Amber Rudd is suggesting is entirely different kettle of fish.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 20:04]

I think I'll take more notice of our FO member

No offence

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 20:09 - Mar 27 with 897 viewsDanTheMan

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 20:06 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

I think I'll take more notice of our FO member

No offence

FO?

And none taken either way.

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 20:10 - Mar 27 with 882 viewsLord_Lucan

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 20:09 - Mar 27 by DanTheMan

FO?

And none taken either way.

Elder Grizzly - Foreign Office

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 20:13 - Mar 27 with 871 viewsDanTheMan

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 20:10 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

Elder Grizzly - Foreign Office

Ah, didn't know that was where they worked.

If you're genuinely interested, I'd check out the CIA leaks.

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

Actually what Elder doesn't actually contradict what I said - there is no mass surveillance, but targeted it possible with tools. But I've seen no evidence from the netsec community that Signal has been broken.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 20:14]

I didn't realise end-to-end encryption included intelligence services on 23:49 - Mar 27 with 810 viewsBlue_Order

I just don't believe that anybody's security is being any more compromised by the existence of one form of private communication than another. If Whatsapp is brought under government scrutiny, terrorists will use Tor. Tor is already under government scrutiny, the US government funded it, and it has proved incredibly difficult for them to decrypt it. If not Tor, then it'll be something else. If the government passes a law requiring commercial messaging services to build a backdoor in their encryption, that law will be public knowledge and the terrorists will just use other methods. Then where will the legislating stop?

Laws are supposed to be passed in response to need. The government keeps saying that it has foiled 13 terror plots in the whatsapp age, so they didn't need this law then. Then our luck ran out when a guy ploughed a hard, heavy object into some soft, light people. No encrypted services needed to carry out that operation. So what need are we responding to here? Which threats are threatening us because of privacy and would be thwarted by relinquishing a bit of it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024