Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it just me ? 05:33 - Mar 27 with 5331 viewsBenters

Or has anybody else fallen out of love with football ?

Yes i will always follow the scores and tables,but thanks to the three muppets in charge of our once beautiful club,something in me has changed.

Take Saturday for instance (i know town werent playing) but i have found more enjoyment out of my cycling and gardening now,then in the afternoon around 3ish i trundle over my local,have a few jars and watch the scores coming in on Sky Sports.

Trouble is now i have broken the habbit of going,i dont know if i will return .

Funny old game innit.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Is it just me ? on 10:11 - Mar 27 with 1648 viewshoppy

Is it just me ? on 07:50 - Mar 27 by britbiker

Same here, I only realised the England game was on about 20 mins in but the wife was watching dirty dancing so I ended up watching a chic flick rather than going into another room to. Watch England. That would never of happened a decade ago

I think it's to do with how long Town have been in the championship... it means I rarely take any notice of much going on in the premier league, so the players that are picked for England as being at the pinnacle of our national game (presumably that's the idea anyway?) are often unknown to me with a few exceptions. Are this current lot the best England have to offer?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is it just me ? on 11:11 - Mar 27 with 1617 viewsDebsyAngel

No, it's not just you. I feel the same.

Gone are the days of feeling excited on a matchday and going to the game and enjoying it. Last year I doubted I would renew, but did, mainly due to meeting friends at the game.

But this season, I have only enjoyed about 3 or 4 games to be honest.

It's going to be harrowing giving up my Season Ticket, but I need to - if the enjoyment has gone, and it's more about the people I meet with rather than the match, it is a waste of money - and with rising prices on everything in life (not just football), and needing to save up for my wedding next year - I can no longer justify it.

I will listen to matches, watch on Sky etc. but think my interest in football in general is coming to an end.

It makes me feel so sad.
Is it just me ? on 11:23 - Mar 27 with 1605 viewsBluebell

Is it just me ? on 08:33 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Not going

7:45 on good Friday when my mates are back from uni that week for Easter.

I'll be failing to chat up a worldie as Lawrence scores his hat trick

What is a 'worldie'? I really feel old when I read things like that.

Actually I must be getting old. We have got tickets for Burton in the sitting bit.

To be honest, being only 5ft 4in, the thought of not being able to see the game and being in really close proximity to a load of fat, sweaty fans on the terrace didn't appeal any more.

*In my defence I am not saying all Ipswich fans are fat and sweaty but I am sure they pick me out as I always get one next to me at away games!
Is it just me ? on 11:32 - Mar 27 with 1598 viewshoppy

Is it just me ? on 11:23 - Mar 27 by Bluebell

Actually I must be getting old. We have got tickets for Burton in the sitting bit.

To be honest, being only 5ft 4in, the thought of not being able to see the game and being in really close proximity to a load of fat, sweaty fans on the terrace didn't appeal any more.

*In my defence I am not saying all Ipswich fans are fat and sweaty but I am sure they pick me out as I always get one next to me at away games!

You'd have to hope they don't say similarly...

Is it just me ? on 11:36 - Mar 27 with 1584 viewsBluebell

Is it just me ? on 11:32 - Mar 27 by hoppy

You'd have to hope they don't say similarly...

Perhaps that is why I attract them!
Is it just me ? on 12:20 - Mar 27 with 1535 viewsScuzzer

Not just you. Totally onboard with you Benters. My 90 year old dad has been saying "money will kill football" now for about five years. I believe he is right. Sky and BT have strangled the game with the amount of money up for grabs for the 'product'. We fans know football is not a 'product' like any other, a football club has a spirit within it, almost a living thing. I find it ironic that the Season Ticket campaign is called "One of Our Own" as it no longer feels like it. I believe it started to wither when Evans bought us out. When he heartlessly brought in Keane to replace Super Jim, as a marketing gimmick, it felt then that the heart and soul of the club was being thrown away and being traded for something different. These past two seasons have been painful to witness. I think the game that finally turned things for me was the game down here the other month against Wolves, never had I experienced such a dull game of what I think they describe as football. I will also be cancelling my Sky Sports package, I cant justify paying over £80 per month...the sad thing is its not that I will miss the football but the Cricket and F1....yup even F1! Just will have to watch the highlights on Channels Four and Five. I think I will trundle up to Leiston or Woodbridge on a Saturday next season...watch some REAL football.

Established 1968

Is it just me ? on 14:31 - Mar 27 with 1483 viewsphillymark

Very much agree. I rarely get to see Town play being stateside but if they are on BEIN I will watch but often find myself barely looking. I lost total interest in the Premier League years ago but have to admit that my interest perked up a lot last year with the Leicester story. Being raised in Bournemouth has also meant that I will definitely watch their games on TV or computer and I think they are the most exciting team in the league (not the same as the best, but their games are rarely dull). Something like Chelsea vs Liverpool interests me zero. England are unwatchable most of the time though of course I watch the finals of the major tournaments.
Is it just me ? on 14:41 - Mar 27 with 1468 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is it just me ? on 11:23 - Mar 27 by Bluebell

Heh

In the sitting bit! I thought you led the Ipswich firm

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it just me ? on 14:43 - Mar 27 with 1460 viewsLord_Lucan

Is it just me ? on 05:55 - Mar 27 by brogansnose

Hmm, that' s my fear too, the one about breaking the habit, which I'm about to do. I've got to say my lot and myself intend to do aways and U18's so we don't lose the habit. On the wider bit, my only real interest in football is Towen. I very rarely watch football on TV apart from the FA cup games but that's also due to me giving it big Z's on the settee.

I had to go to a garden centre on Saturday, my idea of hell !!!

I never watch football on TV, I also only have interest in Ipswich, I don't even watch England.

That said, and back to the original question, although I still love ITFC I pretty much despise them in their current form and can't really remember the last time I looked forward to going.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is it just me ? on 14:44 - Mar 27 with 1459 viewsBluebell

Is it just me ? on 14:41 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Heh

In the sitting bit! I thought you led the Ipswich firm

I do but it's easier to do it sitting down at my age!

I always stand at PR but I have small people in front of me and fans who smell nice next to me.
Is it just me ? on 15:07 - Mar 27 with 1426 viewsbluejake78

Through thick and thin.
Is it just me ? on 15:26 - Mar 27 with 1402 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is it just me ? on 14:44 - Mar 27 by Bluebell

I do but it's easier to do it sitting down at my age!

I always stand at PR but I have small people in front of me and fans who smell nice next to me.

Now I've met you, I'll keep an eye out at home games

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is it just me ? on 15:31 - Mar 27 with 1389 viewshoofer

Pretty much getting that way with me especially after this season and watching England yesterday didn't help much.
Is it just me ? on 15:51 - Mar 27 with 1361 viewsfeelingblue

I was stopped loving England games when I went to England Germany in Charleroi, Euro 2000, and was embarrassed to be English. I have been to some home games since, at PR and at Wembley, but I am much less bothered about who wins. I will never go to another away game, and judging by the crowd in Dortmund, it has not got much better.

As for ITFC, I broke the habit two seasons ago, when I did't renew. I still go to PR if there is nothing else to do, but in the old days, I would be there whatever else was on. I thought that I would try to go to a few more away games, to tick off some grounds, but after Bristol C away this season, I decided that I couldn't be arsed.

None of my friends have season tickets now. There used to be 9 of us who had season tickets, and over 20 of us who had gone regularly together since the '60s

I don't really care who wins the Premiership or the Champions League.

In the end when there is no connection to the players or other fans, a day at a Championship or League One game is pretty thin gruel.
Is it just me ? on 15:55 - Mar 27 with 1349 viewsBluebell

Is it just me ? on 15:26 - Mar 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Now I've met you, I'll keep an eye out at home games

I'll look out for you on Saturday.
Is it just me ? on 16:07 - Mar 27 with 1331 viewsParmigiano

Whilst I fully understand everyone's eloquent and justified reasoning behind their lack of love for the game at the moment, I feel I must chime in with a contrary view.

I am personally finding this premier league season the most entertaining for a long time. I think the average game has been highly entertaining to watch and whilst obviously Chelsea have already won the league, the race for the remaining CL spots is incredibly close and next season I expect an extremely tight race for the title. We have five of the, I would say, seven top managers in the world managing the current top five sides and pretty much any team in the league can realistically beat any other (the only other league in the world that can boast this being the championship imo) without it being a freak occurrence.

As for England, I guess everyone is basing this on our game against Lithuania who played a formation of 8-1-1. How is a game like that ever going to be entertaining? I invite you to watch the first half against Germany where we could easily have been 4-0 up at half time had it not been for the woodwork, their keeper or some last ditch defending. Our frontmen, mainly Dele and Lallana moved around freely like I haven't seen any England attacking midfielders doing for over a decade.... I'm quietly confident that Southgate is going to start a revolution. He is doing all the right things in his very short tenure. Being brutally honest to the media about our pathetic island mentality that needs to change, playing fluid continental style tactics, dropping has-beens without hesitation whilst bringing in players from "smaller" club teams who have shined (Keane in particular) and not naming a captain but rather stating that the armband can be passed around (a very subtle but clever way of promoting leaders throughout the squad).

However, I wholeheartedly agree with your point Benters about "something in me has changed" regarding our club; that's the perfect way to put it. I haven't fallen out of love with Town and never will, but the emotional attachment at the moment is at an all-time low. The only difference for me is that it's made me more interested in other Football, not less.
Is it just me ? on 16:20 - Mar 27 with 1310 viewsbrazil1982

Not just you. Try non-league - it's rather fun visiting small clubs and grounds, then the occasional ITFC match.
Is it just me ? on 16:56 - Mar 27 with 1281 viewshoppy

Is it just me ? on 16:20 - Mar 27 by brazil1982

Not just you. Try non-league - it's rather fun visiting small clubs and grounds, then the occasional ITFC match.

I think some are quietly hoping you'll soon be able to combine both, sadly.

Is it just me ? on 17:00 - Mar 27 with 1276 viewsstrikalite

It used to be looked forward to, every Saturday, just like your favourate takeaway but you have that put in front of you every day and it is on tv every day now, you get tired of it..

I don't think i've missed an England qualifier over the years on tv, but i didn't watch it yesterday, knew it was on but actually didn't want to watch it, just boring..

It's the time of year too, in the winter you're limited to what to do so probably watch it more than now when the better weather is here.
Is it just me ? on 21:46 - Mar 27 with 1211 viewsRentaghost

Down in London next week and my gf suggested going to Ipswich against Wigan game. Looked on the price online and thought be well over hundred pounds travelling across, tickets etc. Instead doing it theatre and meal instead much cheaper. Few seasons ago would of done it but other priorities now

Poll: Will the club pay a transfer fee before the season starts?

Is it just me ? on 07:14 - Mar 28 with 1129 viewsBenters

Is it just me ? on 21:46 - Mar 27 by Rentaghost

Down in London next week and my gf suggested going to Ipswich against Wigan game. Looked on the price online and thought be well over hundred pounds travelling across, tickets etc. Instead doing it theatre and meal instead much cheaper. Few seasons ago would of done it but other priorities now

Yes that does seem a lot of dosh to travel up to Ipswich to watch a snorefest and MM play out for ANOTHER draw !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Is it just me ? on 07:29 - Mar 28 with 1119 viewsjeera

Is it just me ? on 21:46 - Mar 27 by Rentaghost

If you want any change from that oner, stay away from the sausages.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is it just me ? on 13:17 - Mar 28 with 1053 viewsmarktko

A a lifelong Town fan born, bred and still living in Leeds I was never been in the position of being able to go to see Town play every weekend.

But with football as a whole I've defo lost interest over the past years and two seasons ago did something that at one time I'd have thought was unthinkable for me and got rid of Sky Sports. Not missed it at all - I still log on here 3-5pm on a Saturday and 'watch' via the chat room and will keep an eye on results coming in in the premier league but I believe my days of religiously watching football are over. Don't even bother with match of the day any more. I put this down to several things - the modern day millionaire footballer (who I can't stand), the attitude and performances of the England team, the current situation Town are in, my principle of not funding the modern day footballer in any small way (!) and me longing for the feeling of 80s football to return....sigh. Last one me getting old Oh, and the last world cup I got excited about (pre tournament) was 2006

Tell you what though re getting rid of Sky Sports - I don't half miss the darts !
Is it just me ? on 13:52 - Mar 28 with 1020 viewshoppy

Is it just me ? on 07:29 - Mar 28 by jeera

If you want any change from that oner, stay away from the sausages.

Even if the mash is to die for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024