Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership 18:05 - Mar 27 with 1669 viewsCaptMickMills

Potential dream team to replace McCarthy!
Burley Director of Football overseeing all football related aspects of the Club
McGreal first team coach running the first team including coaching and selecting the side.
Utilising Burley's experience and McGreal's potential as up and coming manager.

Alternatively Michael O'Neill/Jim Magilton managerial partnership with O'Neill as manager and Magilton assistant manager.

What do you think?
How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 18:06 - Mar 27 with 1664 viewsHipsterectomy

Magilton has made it very clear on social media that he despises ME. Wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't set foot in PR since being sacked

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 18:07 - Mar 27 with 1648 viewsTractorCam

Something tells me you want an old player as a manager?
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 18:07]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 18:47 - Mar 27 with 1583 viewsblueconscience

Think Burley has had his time, we need up and coming fresh footballing minds who are in touch with the modern game

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 18:56 - Mar 27 with 1564 viewsHalifaxBlue

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 18:47 - Mar 27 by blueconscience

Think Burley has had his time, we need up and coming fresh footballing minds who are in touch with the modern game

Yeah, if we are going down the Director of Football/First Team Coach path, then I would like to see someone with fresh ideas and experience working in that model appointed as DoF. I think it would be smart and would allow us to minimize the risk of trying a younger, less proven manager. Burley, as far as I know, has never really filled that role or even worked under a Director of Football.

Rosler/Steinsson are doing a great job at Fleetwood, and the way they function as a pair is very similar to the continental Dof/Coach model that really hasn't caught on here. I'd like to see us take a look at them, but I doubt Rosler would want to leave the Northwest. Not entirely convinced by McGreal but I expect we could go for much worse.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 20:29 - Mar 27 with 1460 viewsIllinoisblue

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 18:47 - Mar 27 by blueconscience

68-year-old Neil Warnock seems to be doing okay.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 20:50 - Mar 27 with 1434 viewsblueconscience

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 20:29 - Mar 27 by Illinoisblue

68-year-old Neil Warnock seems to be doing okay.

Warnock has managed other teams more recently than George Burley though, so he may not be young, but is still in touch with the modern game.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:28 - Mar 27 with 1393 viewsHARRY10

yes

look at the mess Warnock has made at Cradiff

the game is not modern, it is much as it always has been for the past few decades

it's just some of the jargon has been updated
How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:30 - Mar 27 with 1390 viewsIllinoisblue

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 20:50 - Mar 27 by blueconscience

Warnock has managed other teams more recently than George Burley though, so he may not be young, but is still in touch with the modern game.

I don't entirely disagree with your point but I do think age/modernity angle is overplayed. Football is in essence a very simple game. Burley's played in cup finals, internationals, managed a team to play offs and promotion, managed internationally. managed abroad... i think he'd cope just fine.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:31 - Mar 27 with 1379 viewsblueconscience

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:28 - Mar 27 by HARRY10

yes

look at the mess Warnock has made at Cradiff

the game is not modern, it is much as it always has been for the past few decades

it's just some of the jargon has been updated

Yeah it shows with how Mick tactics have kept up with the game, my bad.

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:33 - Mar 27 with 1374 viewsblueconscience

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:30 - Mar 27 by Illinoisblue

I don't entirely disagree with your point but I do think age/modernity angle is overplayed. Football is in essence a very simple game. Burley's played in cup finals, internationals, managed a team to play offs and promotion, managed internationally. managed abroad... i think he'd cope just fine.

But he has hardly shone in his more recent jobs being sacked after 2 games in his last job 5 years ago. I don't think he is the answer as 5 years is a long time to be out of the game. But if you all do, then fair enough.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 21:44]

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:44 - Mar 27 with 1345 viewsIllinoisblue

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 21:33 - Mar 27 by blueconscience

But he has hardly shone in his more recent jobs being sacked after 2 games in his last job 5 years ago. I don't think he is the answer as 5 years is a long time to be out of the game. But if you all do, then fair enough.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 21:44]

I think Burley would be great as Director of Football if his charge was to oversee the implementation of a consistent playing style throughout the club.

62 - 78 - 81

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 22:40 - Mar 27 with 1282 viewsmonty_radio

I think Michael O'Neill could manage on his own. I was reading how, a while back, he put himself tentatively into the wider arena, but no-one bit the bullet. When somebody does, they might just have backed a winner. Certainly he handles himself in a way that the Town could clearly do with to mend the current dislocation.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 01:58 - Mar 28 with 1189 viewsharlingblue

I would hate to see both Ipswich and Colchester go down in the same season.
I would rather see us poach the brothers from Lincoln, bring a breath of fresh air to the club. Won't have the contacts to get players from some clubs, but ME never sanctions the move anyway. They have shown that they know their stuff, and could have the skill to use our younger players, plus have the knowledge of lower league players that could make an impact? Just a thought.
How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 02:55 - Mar 28 with 1175 viewsTownly

How about Burley / McGreal managerial partnership on 01:58 - Mar 28 by harlingblue

I would hate to see both Ipswich and Colchester go down in the same season.
I would rather see us poach the brothers from Lincoln, bring a breath of fresh air to the club. Won't have the contacts to get players from some clubs, but ME never sanctions the move anyway. They have shown that they know their stuff, and could have the skill to use our younger players, plus have the knowledge of lower league players that could make an impact? Just a thought.

"Poaching" needs money.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024