Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years 12:36 - Mar 28 with 3362 viewsSmithy

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/championship-teams-last-five-seasons/transfer-le

I've no idea how old this is, but it does have Burton Albion on it!
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 12:38]

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:42 - Mar 28 with 3296 viewsmaccyd9

I'm not a Mick fan but if anything highlights the real problem at the football club then it's this.

Evans out.
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:46 - Mar 28 with 3261 viewsASAx

Totally depressing.

In 5 years we have spent £1.7m and brought in £14.7m.

All those that still seem to think Evans puts in £8m a year seem to have missed the excellent Swiss Ramble piece that suggests he's put something like £500k in over 4 years because we are funding the losses with player sales. Evans isn't actually investing anything at all now is he?

To think that in those 4 years (of which Mick has got us 6th, 7th and 9th and within a real chance of making the Premier League, which is obviously Evans aim) Mick hasn't even been backed to go and get a £2m player, even in seasons where we've made treble that (I don't care if we've 'reportedly' bid that - we haven't paid it).

You'd have thought with Mings going for £8m, Evans could have banked £3m as an amazing return on a £10k investment and given Mick some real money. But no. It had to all be offset to stop Evans having to put his own money in.

That's incredibly telling. We aren't even spending 20% of transfer fees in on transfer fees out. If that complete contrast from throwing millions on Keane and Jewell doesn't convince the last remaining few that Evans doesn't care / has lost interest / has no idea what to do then nothing will.

Brentford are in their third season at this level and in the last 5 years (including League One for 2 seasons obviously) they have spent almost ten times what we have, whilst receiving slightly more than us the other way. ROTHERHAM have spent more than us on fees and we have received 10 times more than them in transfer fees out!

You can ignore the parachute clubs to a certain extent, some of whom, like Norwich, have spent almost 50 times what we have. But even the mid-table Championship fodder or promoted League One clubs have spent 5-15 times more than us on fees, in some cases receiving less in.

How on earth can you keep that up and not head closer to League One each year? Mick has worked miracles, although he is now a heavy contributory factor to our issues.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 12:55]
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:50 - Mar 28 with 3207 viewsReuser_is_God

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:46 - Mar 28 by ASAx

Totally depressing.

All those that still seem to think Evans puts in £8m a year seem to have missed the excellent Swiss Ramble piece that suggests he's put something like £500k in over 4 years because we are funding the losses with player sales. Evans isn't actually investing anything at all now is he?

To think that in those 4 years (of which Mick has got us 6th, 7th and 9th and within a real chance of making the Premier League, which is obviously Evans aim) Mick hasn't even been backed to go and get a £2m player, even in seasons where we've made treble that (I don't care if we've 'reportedly' bid that - we haven't paid it).

You'd have thought with Mings going for £8m, Evans could have banked £3m as an amazing return on a £10k investment and given Mick some real money. But no. It had to all be offset to stop Evans having to put his own money in.

That's incredibly telling. We aren't even spending 20% of transfer fees in on transfer fees out. If that complete contrast from throwing millions on Keane and Jewell doesn't convince the last remaining few that Evans doesn't care / has lost interest / has no idea what to do then nothing will.

Brentford are in their third season at this level and in the last 5 years (including League One for 2 seasons obviously) they have spent almost ten times what we have, whilst receiving slightly more than us the other way. ROTHERHAM have spent more than us on fees and we have received 10 times more than them in transfer fees out!

You can ignore the parachute clubs to a certain extent, some of whom, like Norwich, have spent almost 50 times what we have. But even the mid-table Championship fodder or promoted League One clubs have spent 5-15 times more than us on fees, in some cases receiving less in.

How on earth can you keep that up and not head closer to League One each year? Mick has worked miracles, although he is now a heavy contributory factor to our issues.

Evans out

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:53 - Mar 28 with 3191 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Have Wigan, Blackburn and in particular Nottingham Forest made more in sales than they have spent in the last 5 years?

Some obvious ones near the top (Villa, Derby, QPR etc.) but some of those in the mid and lower table are a bit of a surprise
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:56 - Mar 28 with 3161 viewsSwansea_Blue

Totally depressing.

That's not correct though. Yes, he's in credit for players sales but we're not covering the losses with them; the player sales only go part-way towards offsetting other costs. He's only made a profit once in the time he's been with us, with a net debt of about £72m over the 8 years, which is an average loss of about £9m / yr.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:02 - Mar 28 with 3116 viewsASAx

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:56 - Mar 28 by Swansea_Blue

That's not correct though. Yes, he's in credit for players sales but we're not covering the losses with them; the player sales only go part-way towards offsetting other costs. He's only made a profit once in the time he's been with us, with a net debt of about £72m over the 8 years, which is an average loss of about £9m / yr.

Based on that we have lost £19m over the last 4 seasons, £4.75m per year.

What kind of sum did Evans think he was going to have to realistically put in when he bought it? Even a decade ago, Championship teams with genuine aspirations of promotion had to invest way more than that to have a chance of going up.

If he wasn't prepared to put his hand into his own pocket after more than a few years then he would have needed to have either developed young players to play in the first team (negating the need to pay fees), young players to sell on for big profits or buying young players who could go on to be sold for much more (Mings, Cresswell etc).

If he's failed to do that then it's all his own fault. He's the one that's presided over everything while his business failed to make money - which is typically what Championship clubs do, they fail to make money.

I don't have an issue with us not being able to compete with Newcastle, Derby or Brighton. What is quite clear is that we do not make enough money or have enough investment from the owner to realistically expect to be anywhere near to the top 6. If so what is the point?

In 10 years we have gone from £45m in debt with a team pushing for the playoffs watched by 24,000 +, to a team £90m in debt with a team trying to avoid relegation and who'll be lucky to get 12,000. We now have Bart and Webster as the only players really worth more than a few million. Maybe McGoldrick but given his injury problems that's debatable.

We've gone nowhere under Evans and had one 6th placed finish where the football was pretty poor for large parts and a League Cup semi final win.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 13:08]
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:03 - Mar 28 with 3096 viewstaximan

Totally depressing.

funnily enough bluebsdger posted the 8mill per year stuff earlier today on another thread

as if bb would be chatting sh1t !!!!!!!
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:05 - Mar 28 with 3076 viewsNo9

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:42 - Mar 28 by maccyd9

I'm not a Mick fan but if anything highlights the real problem at the football club then it's this.

Evans out.

BUT- Reading & Huddersfield are in a similar position in the spend league to Town
Just doing a bit better on the pitch
Login to get fewer ads

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:07 - Mar 28 with 3036 viewsBlueBadger

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:03 - Mar 28 by taximan

funnily enough bluebsdger posted the 8mill per year stuff earlier today on another thread

as if bb would be chatting sh1t !!!!!!!

Key word there is 'reportedly'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:07 - Mar 28 with 3039 viewsKieran_Knows

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:42 - Mar 28 by maccyd9

Evans out.

Rotherham have spent more than us.....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:10 - Mar 28 with 3019 viewsSwansea_Blue

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:02 - Mar 28 by ASAx

Based on that we have lost £19m over the last 4 seasons, £4.75m per year.

What kind of sum did Evans think he was going to have to realistically put in when he bought it? Even a decade ago, Championship teams with genuine aspirations of promotion had to invest way more than that to have a chance of going up.

If he wasn't prepared to put his hand into his own pocket after more than a few years then he would have needed to have either developed young players to play in the first team (negating the need to pay fees), young players to sell on for big profits or buying young players who could go on to be sold for much more (Mings, Cresswell etc).

If he's failed to do that then it's all his own fault. He's the one that's presided over everything while his business failed to make money - which is typically what Championship clubs do, they fail to make money.

I don't have an issue with us not being able to compete with Newcastle, Derby or Brighton. What is quite clear is that we do not make enough money or have enough investment from the owner to realistically expect to be anywhere near to the top 6. If so what is the point?

In 10 years we have gone from £45m in debt with a team pushing for the playoffs watched by 24,000 +, to a team £90m in debt with a team trying to avoid relegation and who'll be lucky to get 12,000. We now have Bart and Webster as the only players really worth more than a few million. Maybe McGoldrick but given his injury problems that's debatable.

We've gone nowhere under Evans and had one 6th placed finish where the football was pretty poor for large parts and a League Cup semi final win.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 13:08]

£19m net loss for the last 4 years shown in that table, but that's splitting hairs.

I think ME vastly underestimated the amount of effort it would take to get us promoted. Maybe he was partly sold a lie, but then he's buying a major business so should be savvy enough to go into that with an understanding of what he was up against. Clearly he wasn't.

I'm not disagreeing with the thrust of your argument - the blame lies at ME's door as he's the one making the important decisions. And those decisions by and large have turned out to be poor. I've said since his early days that he's either not very good at running a football club or not very lucky. Inevitably his decisions don't work out.

What's the point indeed. He's looking at accruing losses until he gets out. Was it Guthers who said earlier that his reasons may include ITFC being a hobby that he's prepared to fund at this level, or that maybe he's not able to find a buyer.

His reasons are his own, but whatever it is it can't be based on finances, especially as the likelihood of promotion seems further and further away.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:10 - Mar 28 with 3011 viewsReuser_is_God

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:07 - Mar 28 by Kieran_Knows

Rotherham have spent more than us.....

That's Evans' next BS excuse for not spending all ready sorted then.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:10 - Mar 28 with 3012 viewsbournemouthblue

Have Preston really spent £0 and sold £0, surely not?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:12 - Mar 28 with 2988 viewsCaptainObvious

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:10 - Mar 28 by bournemouthblue

Have Preston really spent £0 and sold £0, surely not?

i'm sure they signed that pringle who played for us for a fee?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:24 - Mar 28 with 2917 viewsbournemouthblue

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:12 - Mar 28 by CaptainObvious

i'm sure they signed that pringle who played for us for a fee?

It seems a huge anomaly, even if they have been prudent

You can't tell me that Hugill will be the first player they will have sold for 5 years?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:31 - Mar 28 with 2867 viewsCaptainObvious

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:24 - Mar 28 by bournemouthblue

It seems a huge anomaly, even if they have been prudent

You can't tell me that Hugill will be the first player they will have sold for 5 years?

i can't tell you that no, because they sold Garner to Glasgow Rangers for £1.5m only last year

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 14:37 - Mar 28 with 2690 viewsFtnfwest

That must also just miss the 8 million for Wickham which overall knocks 21 million off MEs outlay in that time
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 14:50 - Mar 28 with 2646 viewstheipswichman

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:05 - Mar 28 by No9

BUT- Reading & Huddersfield are in a similar position in the spend league to Town

Reading have spent 17 million though, the difference is they reinvested their player sales and we haven't.
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 15:16 - Mar 28 with 2571 viewsDennyx4

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 13:05 - Mar 28 by No9

BUT - they have bought players.

If you look at the table on NETT we are 3rd bottom, if you also look on players bought again we are 3rd bottom, but Reading and Huddersfield have clearly outspent us.

Evans has been burnt by not selling the players we did buy (Leadbitter, Priskin, Edwards etc), instead letting them go for nothing.

It is quite telling to be 3rd bottom on both tables NETT and Purchases.
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 15:26 - Mar 28 with 2546 viewshype313

One positive is if you correlated spending with league position then we are overachieving...

Also, Norwich are underachieving.

Every cloud...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 15:33 - Mar 28 with 2515 viewsGogs

the next page on that also has a net spend since 2004-5, which encompasses all of the evans era, plus a bit of the previous regime. We're down in the relegation places still: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/championship-teams-2004-to-date/transfer-league-
Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 18:45 - Mar 28 with 2208 viewsbraveblue

Championship Transfer Spend Last 5 Years on 12:56 - Mar 28 by Swansea_Blue

Sorry but that is simply not right. Losses and money invested are completely different things. The Evans apologists inflate this sum constantly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024