Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were PM, what would you address? 13:00 - Mar 28 with 3429 viewsclive_baker

First thing I would do is rip up the school syllabus and start again.

Stop spending hours analysing 500 year old poems or acting out Blood Brothers and start teaching kids about managing money, financing debt, taxes, public services, society, moral science - respecting others, how to be a good person, family values, respecting elders. Career options, communication skills.

Circa 50% of the current syllabus should be extra curricular IMO. There for those that want them but not compulsory.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:39 - Mar 28 with 1187 viewsWeWereZombies

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:34 - Mar 28 by Ryorry

Well I originally meant PA, but if he had somehow returned to us, he'd probably have applied it to Ma Thatcher before TM! ;)

Very disappointed Ryorry, Pam brought poetry to the masses when its fortunes were at a low ebb elsewhere. I'm a fan and have never understood why someone like John Hegley (not that I dislike his work) gets plaudits and Pam Ayres gets brickbats - I know Hegley has done the hard yards on the alternative entertainment circuit whereas Ayres took what seemed to be the easier route of TV talent show but I think she still needed her wits about her to get the success she has garnered.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:44 - Mar 28 with 1184 viewsjaykay

i could be wrong but the bulk of that should be taught by parents. i was taught by my parents to respect people,how to save etc.then i taught my kids the same

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:56 - Mar 28 with 1160 viewsRyorry

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:39 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

Very disappointed Ryorry, Pam brought poetry to the masses when its fortunes were at a low ebb elsewhere. I'm a fan and have never understood why someone like John Hegley (not that I dislike his work) gets plaudits and Pam Ayres gets brickbats - I know Hegley has done the hard yards on the alternative entertainment circuit whereas Ayres took what seemed to be the easier route of TV talent show but I think she still needed her wits about her to get the success she has garnered.

Can't stand John Hegley either I'm afraid. What they do can't really be described as "poetry" imho.

Or maybe I just resent JH because I once submitted a poem (only about 16 lines iirc) to the Gruadian, but it was turned down on the grounds that "we already have a resident poet"!! haha

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If you were PM, what would you address? on 16:35 - Mar 28 with 1132 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If you were PM, what would you address? on 15:32 - Mar 28 by GeoffSentence

I woud fight against the burning injustice that if you are born poor you will dies on average 9 years earlier than others. And that if you are black you are treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you are white.

I would deal with the wage gap between men and women.

If you are at a state school you are less likely to reach the top professions than if you are privately educated, I'd sort that out.

I would make Britain work for everyone, for ordinary working class families who are just about managing, not for the interests of the privileged few.

Youd get my vote.

A man of the people

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:01 - Mar 28 with 1111 viewsGuthrum

If you were PM, what would you address? on 16:35 - Mar 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Youd get my vote.

A man of the people

You know who originally said that?

http://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/statement-from-the-new-prime-minister-ther (starting about 6 paragraphs down)

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:02 - Mar 28 with 1100 viewsSarge

10 Downing Street I imagine
If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:08 - Mar 28 with 1084 viewsfactual_blue

Not triggering Article 50 would be the most sensible thing any PM could do.

Or, if you're talking about some time ahead, rejoin the EU.

If only to annoy the Moron Tendency who infect TWTD.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:13 - Mar 28 with 1075 viewsKeaneish

I'd address the nation and make 3 day weekends and 10 hour working week days mandatory.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:19 - Mar 28 with 1069 viewsJ2BLUE

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:02 - Mar 28 by Sarge

10 Downing Street I imagine

I couldn't believe that took so long.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:32 - Mar 28 with 1056 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:01 - Mar 28 by Guthrum

You know who originally said that?

http://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/statement-from-the-new-prime-minister-ther (starting about 6 paragraphs down)

Ahh

Can I rescind my vote?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:43 - Mar 28 with 1041 viewsGuthrum

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:32 - Mar 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Ahh

Can I rescind my vote?

That's the problem with politics. People say nice things and may or may not intend (or be able to) do them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:55 - Mar 28 with 1024 viewsBackToRussia

Aren't your parents meant to teach you all that?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:59 - Mar 28 with 1014 viewsRyorry

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:55 - Mar 28 by BackToRussia

Aren't your parents meant to teach you all that?

If only all parents were perfect! (and some people don't have any, or decent guardians.)

If you were PM, what would you address? on 18:02 - Mar 28 with 1000 viewsITFCRealist

Start by teaching them how to speak English and to learn some bloody manners.
If you were PM, what would you address? on 18:03 - Mar 28 with 992 viewsSarge

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:19 - Mar 28 by J2BLUE

I couldn't believe that took so long.

Hoppy isn't here so I'm muscling in on his business
If you were PM, what would you address? on 18:24 - Mar 28 with 963 viewshoppy

If you were PM, what would you address? on 18:03 - Mar 28 by Sarge

Hoppy isn't here so I'm muscling in on his business

You've got me wrong... I'm now Mr Sensible (for evidence of this, check the 'Jeans advice' thread).

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If you were PM, what would you address? on 18:44 - Mar 28 with 946 viewsGeoffSentence

If you were PM, what would you address? on 17:32 - Mar 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Ahh

Can I rescind my vote?

As far as I can see there has been no progress so far on any of it. Is it to soon to say it was all a pack of lies or is 6 months enough?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If you were PM, what would you address? on 22:18 - Mar 28 with 871 viewslloydy84

There is so much wrong with schools right now that it doesn't even seem fixable. People that do not have someone close working in schools, as a head or a teacher, they have no idea what schools even are in 2017.

The syllabus is the least of our worries.. Sorting out the children, sorting out management, sorting out the Politics in schools is vastly more important but that will not happen. Every year the working conditions of those in schools, and their ability to teach is being eroded by a number of factors..

Children running the schools. Children spitting in teachers faces, shouting and screaming at them, children threatening or throwing boxes of pens all over, sticking glue stick to the ceiling.. They stand in the teachers face and laugh at them, and why? Because there is no disciplinary procedure. Teachers, they would give 10 detentions a day if they could, but if they give a detention, this is their time, their break time, and their break time is used to work. If they were to give a detention half the time they wouldn't turn up anyway and they wouldn't have time to get ready for the afternoon lessons. If a teacher wants to send a child out of the class they have to give warnings, they have to document each warning, each time it takes time, they lose the childrens attentions, they start to act up, they have to record more warnings, it's all bureaucracy and paperwork, if they want action taken on a child they have to spend ages writing up a massive statement for nothing to be done in the end, just 'xxxx is going through a hard time at home at the moment' that's why he kicked your bag across the floor and called you a *wat.

People talk about the syllabus but teachers cannot teach, they fear the pupils and fear the system, they are blamed by failing management (management - the more they fail the bigger the workload they put on teachers) and blamed by parents, who for some reason in 2017 believe their children are Angels and the teachers are 'out to get them'

Anyway, I haven't even touched on the workload, the hassle and pressure from management, the fact that kids levels are constantly doctored by teachers and are no where even close to their ability on paper, it's all just nonsense in schools.. One big lie.
If you were PM, what would you address? on 01:21 - Mar 29 with 823 viewsRyorry

If you were PM, what would you address? on 22:18 - Mar 28 by lloydy84

There is so much wrong with schools right now that it doesn't even seem fixable. People that do not have someone close working in schools, as a head or a teacher, they have no idea what schools even are in 2017.

The syllabus is the least of our worries.. Sorting out the children, sorting out management, sorting out the Politics in schools is vastly more important but that will not happen. Every year the working conditions of those in schools, and their ability to teach is being eroded by a number of factors..

Children running the schools. Children spitting in teachers faces, shouting and screaming at them, children threatening or throwing boxes of pens all over, sticking glue stick to the ceiling.. They stand in the teachers face and laugh at them, and why? Because there is no disciplinary procedure. Teachers, they would give 10 detentions a day if they could, but if they give a detention, this is their time, their break time, and their break time is used to work. If they were to give a detention half the time they wouldn't turn up anyway and they wouldn't have time to get ready for the afternoon lessons. If a teacher wants to send a child out of the class they have to give warnings, they have to document each warning, each time it takes time, they lose the childrens attentions, they start to act up, they have to record more warnings, it's all bureaucracy and paperwork, if they want action taken on a child they have to spend ages writing up a massive statement for nothing to be done in the end, just 'xxxx is going through a hard time at home at the moment' that's why he kicked your bag across the floor and called you a *wat.

People talk about the syllabus but teachers cannot teach, they fear the pupils and fear the system, they are blamed by failing management (management - the more they fail the bigger the workload they put on teachers) and blamed by parents, who for some reason in 2017 believe their children are Angels and the teachers are 'out to get them'

Anyway, I haven't even touched on the workload, the hassle and pressure from management, the fact that kids levels are constantly doctored by teachers and are no where even close to their ability on paper, it's all just nonsense in schools.. One big lie.

Wow. Thanks for the insight (I think). Which area of the country are you in if you don't mind me asking, sounds like inner city somewhere?

I know one teacher who assists with the roughest kids here outside one city in Yorkshire - it's bad, but nothing like that! And in rural areas, nothing whatsoever like that.

If you were PM, what would you address? on 02:16 - Mar 29 with 803 viewstcblue

I think the only thing I would feel qualified to do in terms of education is appoint education ministers who actually set foot in a school more recently than the 1970s.

I don't doubt that education has totally transformed since I left school in the mid 90s, the education that I see kids getting these days is genuinely better and more suited to the modern world than it was in mine.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024