Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 17:06 - Mar 28 with 10888 viewsmonytowbray

No where to get a proper burrito.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g190725-zfd10878-Ipswich_Suffolk_East_

Even Bury has a burrito place. And don't get me started on dedicated vegan places.

How has a County's capital town failed so far behind the second biggest next door, let alone compared to the rest of the country?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 14:10 - Mar 29 with 2019 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 13:07 - Mar 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Used to be a van in the car park out the back of Poundland and that which sold burritos I believe but long gone now, presumably as it didn't get enough business. Terrible location though

They owed me a free taco, never got it, never got it...

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 14:12 - Mar 29 with 2008 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 10:23 - Mar 29 by BlueBadger

Lots of people don't. That's partly why the town centre's in such a piss-poor state.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 10:48]

territorial p1ssings innit.

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:21 - Mar 29 with 1965 viewsartsbossbeard

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 14:12 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

territorial p1ssings innit.

Happy to help with the van loading when you move.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:27 - Mar 29 with 1947 viewsDubtractor

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 13:10 - Mar 29 by connorscontract

I've never lived in Ipswich. I think it's ok. It's got enough going on, some really good pubs and enough good restaurants. It's on the national touring map for comedy and some music. House prices are reasonable for a place an hour from London by train. The seaside is 20 minutes away and Suffolk countryside even less.

I don't know about youth culture and young adults nightlife, but it's perfectly good for its size for older adults.

For live music, indeed any alternative music culture, it is terrible and has been for at least 25 years.

Otherwise it is OK though really, there are better and worse places.

Can't escape the fact that it has a very much industrial past and large council estates though, and it will be a long time before it becomes some kind of cosmopolitan hub.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:30 - Mar 29 with 1934 viewshype313

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:27 - Mar 29 by Dubtractor

For live music, indeed any alternative music culture, it is terrible and has been for at least 25 years.

Can't escape the fact that it has a very much industrial past and large council estates though, and it will be a long time before it becomes some kind of cosmopolitan hub.

Music wise have to agree, it has always been an outpost when it comes to all genres, which is why it was a shame the old Hollywoods building wasn't turned into something akin to the Junction at Cambridge.

The Town centre is at least starting to get there with shops and restaurants.

The biggest issue is if people keep putting it down, then people are hardly going to come if the attitude is so negative.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:38 - Mar 29 with 1908 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:30 - Mar 29 by hype313

Music wise have to agree, it has always been an outpost when it comes to all genres, which is why it was a shame the old Hollywoods building wasn't turned into something akin to the Junction at Cambridge.

The Town centre is at least starting to get there with shops and restaurants.

The biggest issue is if people keep putting it down, then people are hardly going to come if the attitude is so negative.

Smokehouse is a good little venue if like me you enjoy sweaty little Punk shows and discovering local talent. Some places have the odd cover band too. For anything decent sized tour wise Ipswich is dire.

I just don't understand how anyone can go into town and say it's a good experience. Hardly anything independent that stands out as unique. Ipswich has some okay pubs for a chilled crawl but the nightlife is poor and expensive to boot.

Every time I've had mates from other parts of the country visit I've been embarrassed to answer when they ask "so, what's good to do here?" A group of my Portsmouth friends visited once and said never again because it's such a poor night out. Unless you're basic as f*ck and think Vodka Revs is a fun place to go you're screwed for a LARGE one out.

If you said to me to name some independent shops and restaurants in Ipswich that make me proud to live here I'd struggle. I could name countless places in Portsmouth; tell me what food/night out you're in the mood for and I could tell you exactly where to go. Here it's more like "Yeah, good luck with that!"

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:41 - Mar 29 with 1891 viewsfeelingblue

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:38 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

Smokehouse is a good little venue if like me you enjoy sweaty little Punk shows and discovering local talent. Some places have the odd cover band too. For anything decent sized tour wise Ipswich is dire.

I just don't understand how anyone can go into town and say it's a good experience. Hardly anything independent that stands out as unique. Ipswich has some okay pubs for a chilled crawl but the nightlife is poor and expensive to boot.

Every time I've had mates from other parts of the country visit I've been embarrassed to answer when they ask "so, what's good to do here?" A group of my Portsmouth friends visited once and said never again because it's such a poor night out. Unless you're basic as f*ck and think Vodka Revs is a fun place to go you're screwed for a LARGE one out.

If you said to me to name some independent shops and restaurants in Ipswich that make me proud to live here I'd struggle. I could name countless places in Portsmouth; tell me what food/night out you're in the mood for and I could tell you exactly where to go. Here it's more like "Yeah, good luck with that!"

Loyal though I am to Ipswich, it is a bit of a dump.
However Portsmouth is sh1thole of the first rank, and I wouldn't take any advice from anyone who thinks it is not.
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:42 - Mar 29 with 1886 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:41 - Mar 29 by feelingblue

Loyal though I am to Ipswich, it is a bit of a dump.
However Portsmouth is sh1thole of the first rank, and I wouldn't take any advice from anyone who thinks it is not.

When did you last go there?

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:43 - Mar 29 with 1881 viewshype313

To be fair I really don't know what the nightlife is like these days as I don't tend to venture out much, young kids etc, but it used to be decent when I was younger, we had places like Globalnet, Cock n Pye, bar fontaine, traders, wig n pen, Newt and Cucumber, Bar Extreme, libertys, Sound Academy andHollywoods, plenty of places to go to with plenty of choice on genres.

The last time I went out it did seem that there was a dearth of places and it generally catered for the made in Chelsea crowd for me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:45 - Mar 29 with 1863 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:43 - Mar 29 by hype313

To be fair I really don't know what the nightlife is like these days as I don't tend to venture out much, young kids etc, but it used to be decent when I was younger, we had places like Globalnet, Cock n Pye, bar fontaine, traders, wig n pen, Newt and Cucumber, Bar Extreme, libertys, Sound Academy andHollywoods, plenty of places to go to with plenty of choice on genres.

The last time I went out it did seem that there was a dearth of places and it generally catered for the made in Chelsea crowd for me.

Nail. Head.

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:59 - Mar 29 with 1831 viewsfeelingblue

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:42 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

When did you last go there?

About 6 weeks ago. I have to go to see IBM once a quarter.
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 16:19 - Mar 29 with 1789 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:59 - Mar 29 by feelingblue

About 6 weeks ago. I have to go to see IBM once a quarter.

DM me when you next go and I'll make some recommendations as to where to go in your leisure time. I can assure you it's a decent place if you know where to go. If you spend most your time around North Harbour and Cosham I'm not surprised you think it's a sh1thole.

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 16:42 - Mar 29 with 1765 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I've had loads of mates down from Sheffield and they've had a great weekend.

Show them the right places and you can show the town off.

Poll: Best Football Song

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:16 - Mar 29 with 1714 viewswitchdoctor

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:21 - Mar 29 by artsbossbeard

Happy to help with the van loading when you move.

me too...👍
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:20 - Mar 29 with 1708 viewsGeoffSentence

Portsmouth? Really? I have had some decent nights out there, it is possible in most places, but it is a massive dump.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

on 21:14 - Mar 29 with 1667 views_

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 15:27 - Mar 29 by Dubtractor

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:18 - Mar 29 with 1650 viewsAdmiralFunge

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 16:42 - Mar 29 by RoyKeanesDog

I've had loads of mates down from Sheffield and they've had a great weekend.

Show them the right places and you can show the town off.

Well, quite.

I'm struggling a bit with the Ipswich rinsing here - aye, Towun is fundamentally pretty crap, but name me another provincial town round here that does more. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Apart from, er, Bury. And in fairness, they benefit from the proximity of the airbases, and the fact that Bury is medieval, and therefore nice.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:22 - Mar 29 with 1650 viewsDubtractor

on 21:14 - Mar 29 by _

Edit - to clarify, my original point is largely about the framework and venue to foster a scene, rather than to dismiss any individuals and bands that have been doing stuff.

It really isn't b0ll0cks.

I like, and have liked, all sorts of stuff stoner, indie, punk, breaks, metal, bit of everything.

A small underground movement for a couple of years is great, but that's all it is, sustained by the occasional promoter prepared to put in the legwork. In the late 90s the Drum and Monkey had a great set of bands for a few years - Gold Blade, Cecil, Feeder (before they were sh1t), but then it died. In the early 90s the Caribbean club had some great nights, then it fizzled out.

We have lacked for some time a medium sized venue such as the Waterfront in Norwich, Arts Centre in Colchester etc, that sustains over a few years and gets the sort of bands either on the cusp of a breakthrough or established in a smaller scene.

Likewise for dance music of pretty much any sort other than Drum and Bass, every now and then something pops up, or a venue tries something different, and it soon fizzles out. I have personal experience on that front - and it isn't through lack of "ability" (for want of a better word) as we went on to be involved in successful nights all over the UK and even in Europe.

I do genuinely like Ipswich, but it has always struggled badly for live music.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 21:34]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:23 - Mar 29 with 1651 viewsNewcyBlue

Do you not think that your regular trips to London may skew your view on Ipswich a little bit?

I live in a town just outside Newcastle, with roughly the same size population as Ipswich. The Town Centre is just as bad. There are several good restaurants that I happily go to around the town though, and that's pretty much the same as Ipswich. I consider myself to be a fine cook, so I won't eat at any old place.

I dare say being vegan makes things much more difficult for you.

I think that on a whole you may be comparing apples with oranges though.

I haven't experienced the night life of Ipswich for a good while now. I certainly enjoyed it when I was younger though, albeit I was living in Felixstowe so anything compared to that was amazing....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

on 21:42 - Mar 29 with 1620 views_

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:22 - Mar 29 by Dubtractor

Edit - to clarify, my original point is largely about the framework and venue to foster a scene, rather than to dismiss any individuals and bands that have been doing stuff.

It really isn't b0ll0cks.

I like, and have liked, all sorts of stuff stoner, indie, punk, breaks, metal, bit of everything.

A small underground movement for a couple of years is great, but that's all it is, sustained by the occasional promoter prepared to put in the legwork. In the late 90s the Drum and Monkey had a great set of bands for a few years - Gold Blade, Cecil, Feeder (before they were sh1t), but then it died. In the early 90s the Caribbean club had some great nights, then it fizzled out.

We have lacked for some time a medium sized venue such as the Waterfront in Norwich, Arts Centre in Colchester etc, that sustains over a few years and gets the sort of bands either on the cusp of a breakthrough or established in a smaller scene.

Likewise for dance music of pretty much any sort other than Drum and Bass, every now and then something pops up, or a venue tries something different, and it soon fizzles out. I have personal experience on that front - and it isn't through lack of "ability" (for want of a better word) as we went on to be involved in successful nights all over the UK and even in Europe.

I do genuinely like Ipswich, but it has always struggled badly for live music.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 21:34]

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:49 - Mar 29 with 1602 viewsAdmiralFunge

on 21:42 - Mar 29 by _

I'm backing Dubbers here; nothing personal, but he's got the miles on the clock, you know?

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:53 - Mar 29 with 1587 viewsvapour_trail

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:49 - Mar 29 by AdmiralFunge

I'm backing Dubbers here; nothing personal, but he's got the miles on the clock, you know?

Likewise, dubbers has been round the block (no offence) and out of anyone on here been across a proper range of music,

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:00 - Mar 29 with 1576 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:53 - Mar 29 by vapour_trail

Likewise, dubbers has been round the block (no offence) and out of anyone on here been across a proper range of music,

Libby has been as active in music over the years as I have. I don't think age factors in as knowing a local scene.

TWTD never forgets…

on 22:00 - Mar 29 with 1573 views_

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:49 - Mar 29 by AdmiralFunge

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:01 - Mar 29 with 1564 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:20 - Mar 29 by GeoffSentence

Portsmouth? Really? I have had some decent nights out there, it is possible in most places, but it is a massive dump.

As someone who has lived in both I can safely say with no bias Portsmouth is better than Ipswich and also far from a dump.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024