Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 17:06 - Mar 28 with 10835 viewsmonytowbray

No where to get a proper burrito.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g190725-zfd10878-Ipswich_Suffolk_East_

Even Bury has a burrito place. And don't get me started on dedicated vegan places.

How has a County's capital town failed so far behind the second biggest next door, let alone compared to the rest of the country?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:03 - Mar 29 with 1753 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:16 - Mar 29 by witchdoctor

me too...👍

Stop being so argumentative and trying to derail threads.

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:04 - Mar 29 with 1753 viewsvapour_trail

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:00 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

Libby has been as active in music over the years as I have. I don't think age factors in as knowing a local scene.

I agree. Experience not age brings wisdom.

And I'm sure libbers knows his stuff.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:04 - Mar 29 with 1751 viewsAdmiralFunge

on 22:00 - Mar 29 by _

I dunno man, I was in Towun enough in those years, and saw very little of it; that's when I was early 20s....

Plenty of very good DnB/ Garage/ Breaks during those years (RIP Kartouche/ Distinction/ Opium Lounge etc), as it goes, altho I appreciate that might not necessarily have been your vibe.

Lions Den c. 96 was a proper Indie venue, as it goes.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:11 - Mar 29 with 1719 viewsDubtractor

on 22:00 - Mar 29 by _

To be fair, not about anyone being right or wrong, and I really disliked the emo and associated scene, so no surprise that I wasn't part of that!

Nu Metal and Emo killed my love of guitar music for a few years.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:14 - Mar 29 with 1702 viewsWonky

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 08:50 - Mar 29 by hype313

How can you say the town has failed because there isn't anywhere that does Burrito's?

Christ, what's next, Ipswich is a terrible place because it doesn't serve Peruvian Escabeche?

Eh?, we don't?. Things are worse than I had feared.
on 22:16 - Mar 29 with 1691 views_

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:04 - Mar 29 by AdmiralFunge

I dunno man, I was in Towun enough in those years, and saw very little of it; that's when I was early 20s....

Plenty of very good DnB/ Garage/ Breaks during those years (RIP Kartouche/ Distinction/ Opium Lounge etc), as it goes, altho I appreciate that might not necessarily have been your vibe.

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:18 - Mar 29 with 1682 viewsmonytowbray

on 22:16 - Mar 29 by _

I heard TSI played a lot and were pretty whaff.

TWTD never forgets…

on 22:20 - Mar 29 with 1674 views_

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:18 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

I heard TSI played a lot and were pretty whaff.

Login to get fewer ads

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:37 - Mar 29 with 1642 viewswitchdoctor

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:03 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

Stop being so argumentative and trying to derail threads.

only offering to lend a hand.....sheesh....
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:45 - Mar 29 with 1628 viewsmonytowbray

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:37 - Mar 29 by witchdoctor

only offering to lend a hand.....sheesh....

All this great discussion. So many more ways to contribute.

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:46 - Mar 29 with 1625 viewsmonytowbray

on 22:20 - Mar 29 by _

Nah, I was in Portsmouth by then doing a similar thing. Saw Frank Turner in a pub back in the day.

TWTD never forgets…

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 23:05 - Mar 29 with 1599 viewsAdmiralFunge

on 22:16 - Mar 29 by _

Aye, 'tis a fair point.

Peace and fcking, as a great man once said.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 23:06 - Mar 29 with 1599 viewsKeaneish

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:14 - Mar 28 by J2BLUE

Mexican food is garbage. There. I said it.

Did you know a burrito as we know it isnt actually Mexican, it's American. Little fact for you.
Useless but true.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 17:59 - Mar 30 with 1545 viewsconnorscontract

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:22 - Mar 29 by Dubtractor

Edit - to clarify, my original point is largely about the framework and venue to foster a scene, rather than to dismiss any individuals and bands that have been doing stuff.

It really isn't b0ll0cks.

I like, and have liked, all sorts of stuff stoner, indie, punk, breaks, metal, bit of everything.

A small underground movement for a couple of years is great, but that's all it is, sustained by the occasional promoter prepared to put in the legwork. In the late 90s the Drum and Monkey had a great set of bands for a few years - Gold Blade, Cecil, Feeder (before they were sh1t), but then it died. In the early 90s the Caribbean club had some great nights, then it fizzled out.

We have lacked for some time a medium sized venue such as the Waterfront in Norwich, Arts Centre in Colchester etc, that sustains over a few years and gets the sort of bands either on the cusp of a breakthrough or established in a smaller scene.

Likewise for dance music of pretty much any sort other than Drum and Bass, every now and then something pops up, or a venue tries something different, and it soon fizzles out. I have personal experience on that front - and it isn't through lack of "ability" (for want of a better word) as we went on to be involved in successful nights all over the UK and even in Europe.

I do genuinely like Ipswich, but it has always struggled badly for live music.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 21:34]

Speaking as a comedy and music promoter, if you say a town had a decent scene for a while with some great promoters, but then it fizzled out, the problem is the lack of support that those promoters got.

There's only so many Saturday nights someone is willing to be the mug who gets there early to open up, deals with divas in support bands, has the hassle of acts not turning up or cancelling at the last minute, puts up with egotists over-running by half an hour, apologised to the acts because the turnout was poor, helped the band lug their stuff out, cleaned up, locked up and left an hour after the last punter, and then counted the money and realised you've just broken even, before, finally, you say "sod this".

The sad truth is that people will pay 6 quid for a drink in a dingy nightclub, or 40 quid plus to sit miles from some bloke off the telly, but less and less people are prepared to pay 8 or 10 quid to see comedians or a band they've never heard of, but who could well be really good.

So if Ipswich hasn't got a decent live music scene it's because people went once and took it for granted, rather than actively and consistently supporting the promoters who were trying to build something.

Free gigs are a whole different kettle of fish as they give useful experience but don't encourage professional attitudes. It's the mid level venues that are dying across the country.
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:25 - Mar 30 with 1528 viewsLord_Lucan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:36 - Mar 28 by feelingblue

Not in Mexico it isn't.

I don't even like Mexican food in Mexico. I find it quite boring.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:28 - Mar 30 with 1527 viewsLord_Lucan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 08:48 - Mar 29 by hype313

I wouldn't give Taco Bell food to my dog.

It's utter garbage.

Rommy would

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:37 - Mar 30 with 1526 viewsLord_Lucan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:23 - Mar 29 by NewcyBlue

Do you not think that your regular trips to London may skew your view on Ipswich a little bit?

I live in a town just outside Newcastle, with roughly the same size population as Ipswich. The Town Centre is just as bad. There are several good restaurants that I happily go to around the town though, and that's pretty much the same as Ipswich. I consider myself to be a fine cook, so I won't eat at any old place.

I dare say being vegan makes things much more difficult for you.

I think that on a whole you may be comparing apples with oranges though.

I haven't experienced the night life of Ipswich for a good while now. I certainly enjoyed it when I was younger though, albeit I was living in Felixstowe so anything compared to that was amazing....

Callis is vegan?

Genuinely didn't know that but can understand it, he looks positively ill.

Could do with a bloody great steak and kidney pudding.

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:38 - Mar 30 with 1519 viewsLord_Lucan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 22:04 - Mar 29 by AdmiralFunge

I seem to recall having some good nights in The Attic?

Or am I deranged?

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:40 - Mar 30 with 1515 viewsLord_Lucan

I've only just found this thread

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:44 - Mar 30 with 1511 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:18 - Mar 29 by AdmiralFunge

Well, quite.

I'm struggling a bit with the Ipswich rinsing here - aye, Towun is fundamentally pretty crap, but name me another provincial town round here that does more. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Apart from, er, Bury. And in fairness, they benefit from the proximity of the airbases, and the fact that Bury is medieval, and therefore nice.

I often find that the people who slag Ipswich off are the ones that never leave.

Poll: Best Football Song

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:53 - Mar 30 with 1496 viewshype313

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:38 - Mar 30 by Lord_Lucan

I seem to recall having some good nights in The Attic?

Or am I deranged?

The Attic was a great little place, had many a messy night in there

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 19:24 - Mar 30 with 1476 viewsimsureazzure

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 18:37 - Mar 30 by Lord_Lucan

Callis is vegan?

Genuinely didn't know that but can understand it, he looks positively ill.

Could do with a bloody great steak and kidney pudding.

You couldn't guess?
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:03 - Mar 30 with 1434 viewsPhilTWTD

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:22 - Mar 29 by Dubtractor

Edit - to clarify, my original point is largely about the framework and venue to foster a scene, rather than to dismiss any individuals and bands that have been doing stuff.

It really isn't b0ll0cks.

I like, and have liked, all sorts of stuff stoner, indie, punk, breaks, metal, bit of everything.

A small underground movement for a couple of years is great, but that's all it is, sustained by the occasional promoter prepared to put in the legwork. In the late 90s the Drum and Monkey had a great set of bands for a few years - Gold Blade, Cecil, Feeder (before they were sh1t), but then it died. In the early 90s the Caribbean club had some great nights, then it fizzled out.

We have lacked for some time a medium sized venue such as the Waterfront in Norwich, Arts Centre in Colchester etc, that sustains over a few years and gets the sort of bands either on the cusp of a breakthrough or established in a smaller scene.

Likewise for dance music of pretty much any sort other than Drum and Bass, every now and then something pops up, or a venue tries something different, and it soon fizzles out. I have personal experience on that front - and it isn't through lack of "ability" (for want of a better word) as we went on to be involved in successful nights all over the UK and even in Europe.

I do genuinely like Ipswich, but it has always struggled badly for live music.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 21:34]

Long time since I was going to gigs in Ipswich but seems little has changed since the Venue for Ipswich Campaign (ViC) which was almost 30 years ago now.
Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:14 - Mar 30 with 1421 viewshype313

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 21:03 - Mar 30 by PhilTWTD

Long time since I was going to gigs in Ipswich but seems little has changed since the Venue for Ipswich Campaign (ViC) which was almost 30 years ago now.

Val at the Steamboat is still championing local bands, think she's one of the last left.

The Earl Roberts and the Albion Mills used to be good for gigs, but like you, not something I've done in many a year!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 23:49 - Mar 30 with 1355 viewsDubtractor

Reasons Ipswich is sh*t #583 on 17:59 - Mar 30 by connorscontract

Speaking as a comedy and music promoter, if you say a town had a decent scene for a while with some great promoters, but then it fizzled out, the problem is the lack of support that those promoters got.

There's only so many Saturday nights someone is willing to be the mug who gets there early to open up, deals with divas in support bands, has the hassle of acts not turning up or cancelling at the last minute, puts up with egotists over-running by half an hour, apologised to the acts because the turnout was poor, helped the band lug their stuff out, cleaned up, locked up and left an hour after the last punter, and then counted the money and realised you've just broken even, before, finally, you say "sod this".

The sad truth is that people will pay 6 quid for a drink in a dingy nightclub, or 40 quid plus to sit miles from some bloke off the telly, but less and less people are prepared to pay 8 or 10 quid to see comedians or a band they've never heard of, but who could well be really good.

So if Ipswich hasn't got a decent live music scene it's because people went once and took it for granted, rather than actively and consistently supporting the promoters who were trying to build something.

Free gigs are a whole different kettle of fish as they give useful experience but don't encourage professional attitudes. It's the mid level venues that are dying across the country.

100 percent agree with you.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024