Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn 18:45 - Mar 28 with 2961 viewssparks

My birthday is approaching and I am going to treat myself to s delivery from the very fine beers of the world store in Kings Lynn. Well worth a visit if you happen to be nearish- its literally a small supermarket with several long aisle consisting almost entirely of beer.

Anyway, the selection is so enormous, I'm asking the denizens of TWTD for any specific recommendations. Im likely to lean largely towards Belgian stuff, and not fruit nonsense. I shall be getting some Ename Blonde, Grimbergen and others to be decided. I like a good strong blonde beer over the darker ones, though am also partial to the odd Leffe Brune....

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 18:50 - Mar 28 with 2928 viewsGeoffSentence

Duvel, serve it chilled and in a frosted glass.

http://www.duvel.com/en-gb

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 18:50 - Mar 28 with 2929 viewsSwansea_Blue

Duvel's a nice drop, but you can get it in Sainsbury's https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/222/695/

I'm a Grimbergen fan, spent many happy evening in cafes in Brussels sampling different varieties of it. It's widely available in France too but I struggle to find any in this neck of the woods.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 18:50 - Mar 28 with 2924 viewsSwansea_Blue

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 18:50 - Mar 28 by GeoffSentence

Duvel, serve it chilled and in a frosted glass.

http://www.duvel.com/en-gb

Snap! Hic

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 18:58 - Mar 28 with 2905 viewspistonbroke

If they stock it , try a couple of bottles of zagorka , Bulgarian lager
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 19:01 - Mar 28 with 2893 viewsvapour_trail

I can't help here, not my favourite beer market.

Is it a landmark birthday bully?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 19:16 - Mar 28 with 2868 viewsbluejake78

Hereforder Pils is my favourite.I went on their brewery tour I supped 9 in half an hour.
The record was 24 and by a woman. I think she sucked in a few husbands never to be seen again.
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 19:18 - Mar 28 with 2860 viewsstonojnr

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 18:50 - Mar 28 by Swansea_Blue

Duvel's a nice drop, but you can get it in Sainsbury's https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/222/695/

I'm a Grimbergen fan, spent many happy evening in cafes in Brussels sampling different varieties of it. It's widely available in France too but I struggle to find any in this neck of the woods.

exactly you can get in sainsburys, Beers of Europe is like a whole Sainsburys dedicated to beer, so get Duvel Tripel Hop instead because they dont sell that in Sainsburys.

Id get a selection from Brigand,Bush Blonde, anything by St Bernadus, Trappiste Rochefort, Kwak, La Chouffe, Hopus, Gouden Carolus, Brugse Zot, Westmalle.
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 19:24 - Mar 28 with 2854 viewsJakeITFC

Brusge Zot in blond and bruin both very nice, from the half moon brewery in Brugge.

Duval is also very nice.
Login to get fewer ads

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 20:56 - Mar 28 with 2760 viewssoupytwist

For those of us not in the Kings Lynn area, Lidl will have three types of Belgian beer on special from Thursday

More here -

https://www.lidl-flyer.com/en-GB/#/54edd8f5-0e48-11e7-a7b6-005056ab0fb6/view/fly
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 21:12 - Mar 28 with 2731 viewsRonFearonsHair

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/lindemans-faro-lambic-375ml
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 21:59 - Mar 28 with 2691 viewscatch74

In my Whitbread days we used to have Hoegaarden on draught - a real marmite beer, used to love it myself, especially in a cold glass. Leffe, you have mentioned, was very popular but the blonde more so. I'd second the Duvel recommendations, Affligem - blonde for me, Delirium Tremens for the bottle - quite pokey though about 8.5 if I remember but tastes decent enough.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 22:14 - Mar 28 with 2672 viewssparks

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 21:59 - Mar 28 by catch74

In my Whitbread days we used to have Hoegaarden on draught - a real marmite beer, used to love it myself, especially in a cold glass. Leffe, you have mentioned, was very popular but the blonde more so. I'd second the Duvel recommendations, Affligem - blonde for me, Delirium Tremens for the bottle - quite pokey though about 8.5 if I remember but tastes decent enough.

Thank you folks.

I've been out watching Paul McGrath's son kick lumps out of Paulton rovers so havent replied before now.

Not a significant birthday.

Will avoid Duvel purely because I can get it in Tesco.

Thanks for the various reccomendations. I'll see what I can find and report back late one night in April :-)

Thanks for the Lidl tip- Im fond of the Gauloise. They had it in there previously, but Ive not seen it for a year or 2 at least, so will take the opportunity to grab some!
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 22:15]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 23:53 - Mar 28 with 2575 viewsLamp

Westmalle Dubbel is always the top choice
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 00:02 - Mar 29 with 2562 viewsStokieBlue

Kwak is my favourite Belgian tipple.

Doubly so if you can manage to get them to send you a proper glass:

Also an honourable mention to Brugge Zot - it's an excellent "session" Belgian beer in as much as any Belgian beer is a session beer.

SB
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 0:03]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 00:09 - Mar 29 with 2552 viewscatch74

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 00:02 - Mar 29 by StokieBlue

Also an honourable mention to Brugge Zot - it's an excellent "session" Belgian beer in as much as any Belgian beer is a session beer.

SB

Got spare Zot and Kwak glasses if anyone needs!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 00:13 - Mar 29 with 2549 viewsStokieBlue

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 00:09 - Mar 29 by catch74

Got spare Zot and Kwak glasses if anyone needs!

Good work!

SB

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 07:37 - Mar 29 with 2467 viewssparks

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 00:02 - Mar 29 by StokieBlue

SB

I dont think anything that strong shoul d be considered a session beer. The shop in question sell the glasses I believe.

I used to enjoy a glass in the Belgian monk in Norwich from time to time.

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 10:08 - Mar 29 with 2393 viewsbracknell_blue

Westmalle Tripel - one of the world's great beers. Brewed by Trappist monks, pale, strong and gorgeous (the beer, that is). Another great Trappist beer is Achel.

Sorry, but Leffe is mass-produced and mediocre. There are hundreds of better, more characterful beers in Belgium. Ask at the store for recommendations.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 10:52 - Mar 29 with 2354 viewsStokieBlue

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 07:37 - Mar 29 by sparks

I dont think anything that strong shoul d be considered a session beer. The shop in question sell the glasses I believe.

I used to enjoy a glass in the Belgian monk in Norwich from time to time.

I agree, the best session beer is Adnams sole trader, tastes great and only 2.7%.

Zot is fairly light for Belgian beers though

Enjoy drinking whatever you choose!

SB

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 11:05 - Mar 29 with 2339 viewsuncle

If you can get it, try Abbaye des Rocs.
I worked in Belgium for 4 years, and tried a lot of the beers. This is just a sensational beer. Blonde, dark or amber, all good.

If you want to get knee walking quick, try Kasteel blonde. The dark (donker) beer is very nice, and a mild 10% I think. The blonde is about 12%, goes down like water, and led to me and a mate doing snow angels in the middle of a road.
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 13:24 - Mar 29 with 2285 viewsDBaldy

Not a fan of Belgian beers myself, but a good mate of mine loves them.

I believe his favourites are Zsot, St Bernadus, la Trappe, Witkap and Kwak, if that helps at all...?
Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 20:08 - Mar 29 with 2224 viewssparks

Belgian beer- Kings Lynn on 13:24 - Mar 29 by DBaldy

Not a fan of Belgian beers myself, but a good mate of mine loves them.

I believe his favourites are Zsot, St Bernadus, la Trappe, Witkap and Kwak, if that helps at all...?

Just filling my basket. THEY ARE OUT OF ENAME BLONDE WHICH IS MY FAVOURITE.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024