Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium Naming Rights 13:15 - Mar 29 with 4873 viewsASAx

Why on earth have we not done this yet?

It's good enough for clubs like Arsenal, Leicester and Stoke in the Premier League, Derby, Huddersfield and Brighton and even teams like Chesterfield and Accrington Stanley in the lower leagues.

I'd personally rather it was kept as Portman Road BUT if we were to get the £500k to £1.25m a year that is reportedly paid to other similarly sized clubs then that can only help. Debry (a much more attractive investment I appreciate) got £7m for a 10 year deal with iPro, which reportedly was £4m up front and then 9 yearly payments of £333k). Realistically, we could be looking at £5m. Half up front to spend on new players would immediately more than double what we've paid for fees over the last 5 years.

Given it would either go to Mick as additional budget, increasing our chances ever so slightly of being successful, or it would offset the losses ME makes, which is seemingly his primary aim at the moment, then why on earth would we not do this?

It cannot be that nobody would be interested. The only possible stumbling block would be supporter unrest or objection, but it's quite clear that that's not a particular concern of the current ownership. As much as it would annoy me, Evans could even rename it after his own company for the going rate if he felt it offered significant value to the naming partner.

For all the things we do wrong, we seem to do stuff like this wrong even more spectacularly. We have the perfect excuse to both appease supporter unrest at a name change ('the funds will go to Mick' or 'We need to offset our losses to keep the playing budget at the current level) and it brings in additional money.

The more I think about it the more bizarre it seems that we don't explore ways of raising revenue like this when it could essentially double what we pay for fees in the summer!
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 13:25]
Stadium Naming Rights on 14:10 - Mar 29 with 2235 viewsJohnhoz

I thought we already receive £6m a year for having Marcus Evans splattered all over the place???

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:13 - Mar 29 with 2216 viewsfactual_blue

The Hobnob Stadium.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:15 - Mar 29 with 2210 viewshype313

Maybe we could get Mr Muscle to put there name to it, kill two birds with one stone then, naming rights whilst a clean up at the same time.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:18 - Mar 29 with 2201 viewsKilburnBlue

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:55 - Mar 29 by taximan

why ?

I know many peeps will feel differently to myself as its only a name change, but I feel we would be selling off a spiritual part of our club.

Sounds rather melodramatic I know but this would be another thing what will distance the club from myself as I struggle to stay passionate about the club.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 14:19]

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:20 - Mar 29 with 2185 viewshoppy

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:15 - Mar 29 by hype313

Maybe we could get Mr Muscle to put there name to it, kill two birds with one stone then, naming rights whilst a clean up at the same time.

As long as the birds aren't killed on the roof of the North Stand, otherwise they wouldn't be removed for 10 years or more...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:22 - Mar 29 with 2201 viewsPhilTWTD

They've been looking for a stadium sponsor since the early 2000s, but no one has been interested in a long enough deal - it would have to be three years at least - other than TXU but they collapsed before the name change was due to take place, see below plus quotes from the last time I can recall that I asked about stadium sponsorship.

Re shirt sponsorship, which has also been mentioned in the thread, the situation was that the club set a minimum figure a few years back and no one matched it so ME took it up.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/5013

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/26217/practice-pitch-could-host-music-fe

This post has been edited by an administrator
Stadium Naming Rights on 14:23 - Mar 29 with 2178 viewstaximan

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:18 - Mar 29 by KilburnBlue

I know many peeps will feel differently to myself as its only a name change, but I feel we would be selling off a spiritual part of our club.

Sounds rather melodramatic I know but this would be another thing what will distance the club from myself as I struggle to stay passionate about the club.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 14:19]

fair enough

the only thing that will get me returning to portman road/paddy power park or whatever, on a regular basis will be a team that is capable of competing for promotion, which in turn means significant investment, i'm not bothered where the extra money comes from, if it is from stadium naming rights, then so be it
Stadium Naming Rights on 14:27 - Mar 29 with 2161 viewshoppy

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:22 - Mar 29 by PhilTWTD

They've been looking for a stadium sponsor since the early 2000s, but no one has been interested in a long enough deal - it would have to be three years at least - other than TXU but they collapsed before the name change was due to take place, see below plus quotes from the last time I can recall that I asked about stadium sponsorship.

Re shirt sponsorship, which has also been mentioned in the thread, the situation was that the club set a minimum figure a few years back and no one matched it so ME took it up.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/26217/practice-pitch-could-host-music-fe

You could just change a couple of names (and remove the words "the early part of") and reuse this bit, couldn't you, Phil?

"Sheepshanks said that Joe Royle was as aware as anybody of the financial situation the club was in when he joined, although subsequently it has become worse. This to an extent was due to the poor performance on the pitch in the early part of the season hitting commercial income through the reduced sale of merchandise."

Edit: Not so much this bit from the second article you added, though...

"He believes a corner has been turned and that stay-away fans are starting to return to Portman Road... we’re adding fans, we’re getting them back and seeing some great football."
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 14:31]

Login to get fewer ads

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:33 - Mar 29 with 2135 viewsmonytowbray

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:37 - Mar 29 by taximan

really ?

would it bother you if portman road became the taximan arena ?

To be honest I'd probably be happy with the extra money from the deal knowing Evans said the rights were £6M but you paid £10M mates rates plus a beer ;)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:47 - Mar 29 with 2109 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How about .....'The Stadium of Cheese'

There must be a cheese board or some such body !
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 14:49]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

That's all very well but.... on 15:04 - Mar 29 with 2083 viewsBloots

....who's headlining the music festival?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

That's all very well but.... on 15:12 - Mar 29 with 2067 viewshype313

That's all very well but.... on 15:04 - Mar 29 by Bloots

Ian Milne and his band of merry men.

Supposed to be good by all accounts...

Stadium Naming Rights on 15:15 - Mar 29 with 2067 viewsIllinoisblue

17 years to find a sponsor. Are they sending out feelers by carrier pigeon with a bi-annual follow-up by telegram?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Stadium Naming Rights on 15:21 - Mar 29 with 2048 viewshype313

Stadium Naming Rights on 15:15 - Mar 29 by Illinoisblue

17 years to find a sponsor. Are they sending out feelers by carrier pigeon with a bi-annual follow-up by telegram?

Think they use Yodel...

Stadium Naming Rights on 15:24 - Mar 29 with 2042 viewsIpswichKnight

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:13 - Mar 29 by factual_blue

The Hobnob Stadium.

Surely it should be named after a cheese, how about the Suffolk Gold Stadium?
Stadium Naming Rights on 15:38 - Mar 29 with 2002 viewsfactual_blue

Stadium Naming Rights on 15:24 - Mar 29 by IpswichKnight

Surely it should be named after a cheese, how about the Suffolk Gold Stadium?

I think this would be an ideal stadium sponsor, combining cheese with idiocy

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

That's all very well but.... on 15:42 - Mar 29 with 1991 viewshoppy

That's all very well but.... on 15:04 - Mar 29 by Bloots

Stadium Naming Rights on 15:59 - Mar 29 with 1966 viewschevblue

The Pot Noodle Arena?

Blog: [Blog] Total Football

Stadium Naming Rights on 16:19 - Mar 29 with 1945 viewsTractorWood

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:45 - Mar 29 by DoobDude

It's not ego, like most things about Evans it's money.

ITFC pays MEG a theoretical £2m for shirt sponsorship and magically the debt increases and MEG have a lovely "trade debtor" to offset against profits.

By definition it's not a trade debtor, it's a related party balance. Section 33 of FRS 102 should clarify this for you.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 16:21]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Stadium Naming Rights on 17:20 - Mar 29 with 1907 viewsGuthrum

Stadium Naming Rights on 15:59 - Mar 29 by chevblue

The Pot Noodle Arena?

The Hob Nob Bowl

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Stadium Naming Rights on 19:10 - Mar 29 with 1851 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:38 - Mar 29 by PJH

It would bother Rommy.

I'dRatherGetAnUber Arena

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Stadium Naming Rights on 19:49 - Mar 29 with 1838 viewsPhilTWTD

Stadium Naming Rights on 17:20 - Mar 29 by Guthrum

The Hob Nob Bowl

I've always fancied the TWTD-a-Drome.
Stadium Naming Rights on 20:23 - Mar 29 with 1805 viewsVic

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:03 - Mar 29 by Deano69

I would still call it Portman Road regardless, same as the stands are still North and Churchmans, Cobbold and Pioneer in my vocabulary

Pah, you newbie. For those of us proper supporters who've been the backbone of the club for 40+ years it will only ever be North, south, East and West stands! whats with this 'Pioneer' nonsense the club hasn't been the same since that stand broke us the first time.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Stadium Naming Rights on 20:40 - Mar 29 with 1786 viewsBinner

How does "Ipswich's Tin Pot Stadium" sound?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Stadium Naming Rights on 20:43 - Mar 29 with 1780 viewsPJH

Stadium Naming Rights on 20:23 - Mar 29 by Vic

Pah, you newbie. For those of us proper supporters who've been the backbone of the club for 40+ years it will only ever be North, south, East and West stands! whats with this 'Pioneer' nonsense the club hasn't been the same since that stand broke us the first time.

Although the real East stand has been at Foxhall stadium since(I think) 1972.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024