Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD History Buffs 14:45 - Mar 29 with 1629 viewsfooters

Any book recommendations on British involvement in India? Not an area I have much knowledge of but seems fascinating. Anything really from the East India Company to life under the Raj. Would be especially interested in personal accounts from the time.

Cheers!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

TWTD History Buffs on 14:49 - Mar 29 with 1614 viewshype313

Just finished Taboo by any chance?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

TWTD History Buffs on 14:51 - Mar 29 with 1610 viewsSteve_M

John Keay's India is a good starting point, a wide-ranging overview. I bought it at Delhi airport on the way back for similar reasons./

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/174501.India

He has also written a full history of the British East India Company which I really should re-read, plenty of overlap between the two of course but also recommended.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

TWTD History Buffs on 14:52 - Mar 29 with 1600 viewsfooters

TWTD History Buffs on 14:49 - Mar 29 by hype313

Just finished Taboo by any chance?

Don't actually watch much telly, have to admit. Just a period of history I'd like to know a bit more about! Might be planning a trip there later in the year too, so want to do a little bit of reading to make it all the more worthwhile.

TWTD History Buffs on 14:55 - Mar 29 with 1589 viewsfooters

TWTD History Buffs on 14:51 - Mar 29 by Steve_M

John Keay's India is a good starting point, a wide-ranging overview. I bought it at Delhi airport on the way back for similar reasons./

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/174501.India

He has also written a full history of the British East India Company which I really should re-read, plenty of overlap between the two of course but also recommended.

Nice one, thanks Steve. Have added it to the payday book-buying binge list.

TWTD History Buffs on 14:58 - Mar 29 with 1584 viewsWeWereZombies

TWTD History Buffs on 14:52 - Mar 29 by footers

Don't actually watch much telly, have to admit. Just a period of history I'd like to know a bit more about! Might be planning a trip there later in the year too, so want to do a little bit of reading to make it all the more worthwhile.

Not a mainstream choice but an intruiging book I read a few years ago (and I discovered it because it was a Book of the Week on Radio Four) is 'The Great Hedge of India' by Roy Moxham:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-great-hedge-of-india/roy-moxham/97818411946

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

TWTD History Buffs on 15:23 - Mar 29 with 1549 viewsfactual_blue

Anything by Judith M Brown covers 20th century India, particularly Modern India: The Origins of an Asian Democracy,

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TWTD History Buffs on 15:37 - Mar 29 with 1516 viewsjeera

This is a fun read: City of Djinns by William Dalrymple. Author's experiences intertwined with some history thrown in.

Some unpleasant personal accounts from the days of partition from the older generation are particularly moving, but mostly a good humoured book of anecdotes.

https://g.co/kgs/VZX6Fp

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

TWTD History Buffs on 15:59 - Mar 29 with 1490 viewsMJallday

on a related subject, one book you may want to look at is called "Beyond the chindwin"

its the story of the british troops within burma - particuallay relevant to me , as my grandad was in the regiment that was there and featured in the bool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Beyond-Chindwin-Bernard-Fergusson/1848840373

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD History Buffs on 16:21 - Mar 29 with 1476 viewsSibelius8

Try this list.......
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/15/top-10-books-about-the-british-in-
TWTD History Buffs on 16:23 - Mar 29 with 1468 viewsfactual_blue

TWTD History Buffs on 15:59 - Mar 29 by MJallday

on a related subject, one book you may want to look at is called "Beyond the chindwin"

its the story of the british troops within burma - particuallay relevant to me , as my grandad was in the regiment that was there and featured in the bool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Beyond-Chindwin-Bernard-Fergusson/1848840373

Was he one of Orde Wingate's Chindits?

Wingate was a cousin of T E Lawrence.

After four years Wingate left Charterhouse and in 1921 he was accepted at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich, the Royal Artillery's officers' training school. For committing a minor offence against the rules, a first-year student would be subjected to a ragging ritual named "running". This ritual consisted of the first-year being stripped and forced to run a gauntlet of senior students, all of whom wielded a knotted towel which was used to hit the accused on his journey along the line. On reaching the end, the first-year would then be thrown into an icy-cold cistern of water. When it came time for Wingate to run the gauntlet, for allegedly having returned a horse to the stables too late, he walked up to the senior student at the head of the gauntlet, stared at him and dared him to strike. The senior refused. Wingate moved to the next senior and did the same; he too refused. In turn, each senior declined to strike; coming to the end of the line, Wingate walked to the cistern and dived straight into the icy-cold water

TWTD History Buffs on 16:41 - Mar 29 with 1451 viewsPJH

TWTD History Buffs on 16:23 - Mar 29 by factual_blue

Was he one of Orde Wingate's Chindits?

Wingate was a cousin of T E Lawrence.

After four years Wingate left Charterhouse and in 1921 he was accepted at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich, the Royal Artillery's officers' training school. For committing a minor offence against the rules, a first-year student would be subjected to a ragging ritual named "running". This ritual consisted of the first-year being stripped and forced to run a gauntlet of senior students, all of whom wielded a knotted towel which was used to hit the accused on his journey along the line. On reaching the end, the first-year would then be thrown into an icy-cold cistern of water. When it came time for Wingate to run the gauntlet, for allegedly having returned a horse to the stables too late, he walked up to the senior student at the head of the gauntlet, stared at him and dared him to strike. The senior refused. Wingate moved to the next senior and did the same; he too refused. In turn, each senior declined to strike; coming to the end of the line, Wingate walked to the cistern and dived straight into the icy-cold water

Were you one of the senior students?
TWTD History Buffs on 16:43 - Mar 29 with 1447 viewsfooters

TWTD History Buffs on 16:21 - Mar 29 by Sibelius8

Try this list.......
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/15/top-10-books-about-the-british-in-

Solved it in one!

Thanks, all. There look like some really interesting reads here. Especially like the look of WeWereZombies' suggestion. What an obscure piece of history- remarkable really!

TWTD History Buffs on 16:45 - Mar 29 with 1442 viewsfactual_blue

TWTD History Buffs on 16:41 - Mar 29 by PJH

TWTD History Buffs on 17:14 - Mar 29 with 1409 viewsWeWereZombies

TWTD History Buffs on 16:41 - Mar 29 by PJH

Ah, I guess the weather has closed in on the Oban vicinity as well. On the subject of Oban I have always pronounced it ObAnn but I was leafing through the glossary at the back of Iain Banks' whisky memoir 'Raw Spirit' and he says to stop the locals sniggering behind your back say Obinn...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

TWTD History Buffs on 17:19 - Mar 29 with 1396 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The answer is of course "The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia" by Peter Hopkirk.

That's definitely the one to go to first if you want to get a framework of that period of history
TWTD History Buffs on 17:37 - Mar 29 with 1359 viewsPJH

TWTD History Buffs on 17:14 - Mar 29 by WeWereZombies

Ah, I guess the weather has closed in on the Oban vicinity as well. On the subject of Oban I have always pronounced it ObAnn but I was leafing through the glossary at the back of Iain Banks' whisky memoir 'Raw Spirit' and he says to stop the locals sniggering behind your back say Obinn...

Been home since Sunday evening but was in Oban on Saturday.
Fantastic weather,wall to wall sunshine.
As you no doubt know it snowed heavily in parts of Scotland on Tuesday(the day we went North)and we went to Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe on Wednesday.For scenery that is just about my favourite place,got some great photos with the snow and the blue sky and the water on Rannoch Moor.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 17:43]
TWTD History Buffs on 17:50 - Mar 29 with 1332 viewsGuthrum

TWTD History Buffs on 17:19 - Mar 29 by FrowsyArmLarry

The answer is of course "The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia" by Peter Hopkirk.

That's definitely the one to go to first if you want to get a framework of that period of history

Excellent book.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

TWTD History Buffs on 17:50 - Mar 29 with 1332 viewsGuthrum

TWTD History Buffs on 16:21 - Mar 29 by Sibelius8

Try this list.......

Very good selection.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024