Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Expanse- Netflix 23:04 - Mar 29 with 2218 viewssparks

I heard of it for the first time via a podcast on the way to work this morning.

Watched two episodes. So far, its magnificent. The first and only proper nearly 'hard' SF (by which I mean, realistic, scientific intelligent stuff) that I have seen on screen. Proper physics, proper ideas and beautifully shot.

Long may it continue.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The Expanse- Netflix on 23:06 - Mar 29 with 2197 viewsStokieBlue

I love SF but from the blurb it sounded worrying.

I'll give it a go now.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Expanse- Netflix on 23:09 - Mar 29 with 2192 viewssparks

The Expanse- Netflix on 23:06 - Mar 29 by StokieBlue

I love SF but from the blurb it sounded worrying.

I'll give it a go now.

SB

What was worrying? Id not read anything about it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

The Expanse- Netflix on 23:12 - Mar 29 with 2185 viewsDubtractor

It's very good. Second season to follow.

My 2nd favourite thing I've watched this year, behind Mr Robot.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Expanse- Netflix on 23:12 - Mar 29 with 2176 viewsAdmiralFunge

Cheers Bullers, I'll add that to the list.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

The Expanse- Netflix on 11:46 - Mar 30 with 2020 viewsitfcinwales

Watched it all in about 2 days around Christmas time,

One of the best things one there
The Expanse- Netflix on 12:01 - Mar 30 with 2008 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Have you read the books?
I didn't like them quite as much as I wanted to, not sure why...should give the screen version a go though.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 12:02]
The Expanse- Netflix on 12:21 - Mar 30 with 1979 viewsyocal_lad

The Expanse- Netflix on 12:01 - Mar 30 by BlueLikeJazz

Have you read the books?
I didn't like them quite as much as I wanted to, not sure why...should give the screen version a go though.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 12:02]

Its a really good series, Season 2 is just out and its already been renewed for S3
The Expanse- Netflix on 12:45 - Mar 30 with 1957 viewsDolly2.0

Did you watch The OA? Totally different but if you like sci fi you might like it.

It does have stuff about the afterlife/parallel universes so that might make it not your cup of tea.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Login to get fewer ads

The Expanse- Netflix on 12:55 - Mar 30 with 1943 viewssparks

The Expanse- Netflix on 12:45 - Mar 30 by Dolly2.0

Did you watch The OA? Totally different but if you like sci fi you might like it.

It does have stuff about the afterlife/parallel universes so that might make it not your cup of tea.

Not heard of it. Though if it's got afterlife in it, it's not hard sf and is unlikelying to appeal in the same manner. Religious mystic crap ruined galactica's later series.

The Expanse- Netflix on 12:59 - Mar 30 with 1934 viewsDubtractor

The Expanse- Netflix on 12:55 - Mar 30 by sparks

Not heard of it. Though if it's got afterlife in it, it's not hard sf and is unlikelying to appeal in the same manner. Religious mystic crap ruined galactica's later series.

It is good but VERY different to the expanse.

You'd like the oa if you liked stranger things.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

The Expanse- Netflix on 13:00 - Mar 30 with 1930 viewsDubtractor

The Expanse- Netflix on 12:45 - Mar 30 by Dolly2.0

Dolly, based on the stuff you like I think Mr Robot will be up your alley.

The Expanse- Netflix on 13:56 - Mar 30 with 1895 viewsDolly2.0

The Expanse- Netflix on 13:00 - Mar 30 by Dubtractor

Dolly, based on the stuff you like I think Mr Robot will be up your alley.

Yeah I've heard that's good. Might give it a go.

The Expanse- Netflix on 14:00 - Mar 30 with 1891 viewsDolly2.0

Don't want to give too much away....

SPOILER ALERT...

It is scientifically done... and there is a suggestion that these parallel universes aren't real and are all in the protagonist's imagination. So you don't have to fully subscribe to them to enjoy it.

The Expanse- Netflix on 14:08 - Mar 30 with 1886 viewsgiant_stow

The wiki write up sounds good - surprised you say it's 'hard' - wiki makes it sound like spaceship battles and lazers.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Expanse- Netflix on 14:29 - Mar 30 with 1869 viewsBlueLikeJazz

The Expanse- Netflix on 14:08 - Mar 30 by giant_stow

The wiki write up sounds good - surprised you say it's 'hard' - wiki makes it sound like spaceship battles and lazers.

I was surprised about that - I wouldn't have said the first novel was 'hard' scifi at all, really...
The Expanse- Netflix on 14:45 - Mar 30 with 1852 viewsgiant_stow

The Expanse- Netflix on 14:29 - Mar 30 by BlueLikeJazz

I was surprised about that - I wouldn't have said the first novel was 'hard' scifi at all, really...

I'll take either personally - sounds intriguing eithe way.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Expanse- Netflix on 15:47 - Mar 30 with 1812 viewschicoazul

Yeah it's good. Very BSG-esque with some compelling characters. I wouldnt say it's hard SF personally.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Expanse- Netflix on 15:48 - Mar 30 with 1809 viewschicoazul

I would have thought the end of Galactica was right up your alley. It turned out God was made by humans.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Expanse- Netflix on 16:09 - Mar 30 with 1784 viewssparks

The Expanse- Netflix on 15:47 - Mar 30 by chicoazul

Yeah it's good. Very BSG-esque with some compelling characters. I wouldnt say it's hard SF personally.

Its all relative of course. But so far as tv or film is concerned, I can't think of anything closer to hard SF.

Its founded in real ideas, and with proper consideration of physics and science generally.

In the 2 episodes Ive seen, we have space dwellers grown long and thin and unable to cope with earth gravity, we have ice mining, we have birds which flap a bit and float in low g, we have ships having to flip and burn rather than flying around all over the place at a whim, we seem to have realistic times and distances etc etc. Its a long way from star trek...
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 16:11]

The Expanse- Netflix on 16:11 - Mar 30 with 1781 viewssparks

The Expanse- Netflix on 14:00 - Mar 30 by Dolly2.0

Don't want to give too much away....

SPOILER ALERT...

It is scientifically done... and there is a suggestion that these parallel universes aren't real and are all in the protagonist's imagination. So you don't have to fully subscribe to them to enjoy it.

Sounds like typically cheap tv trick of deliberate ambiguity. Suspect it would annoy me.

The Expanse- Netflix on 16:28 - Mar 30 with 1759 viewsDolly2.0

The Expanse- Netflix on 16:11 - Mar 30 by sparks

Sounds like typically cheap tv trick of deliberate ambiguity. Suspect it would annoy me.

It only comes at the end.

It's a gripping story... more of a crime thing really. It's a mix of all sorts actually and not like anything else I've seen. As someone else said, Stranger Things is the closest.

When I started watching all I knew was that it was about a woman who returns to the town she disappeared from 7 years previously, unable or unwilling to say what had happened to her. The other thing is that she was blind when she left and can now see.

It's then the story of what happened to her... and it's amazing. You honestly could guess at 100 possibilities and not get close.

For another reference - it's like Silence Of The Lambs mixed with Flatliners mixed with Inception.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024